Sign in to follow this  
Hackerxe

Sink a BB with2 torps

10 comments in this topic

[MOA]
Players
8 posts
9,110 battles

Bet none of you have had a full health WW2 BB sunk with 2 torps. I find no history to back this up . Yeah I know this is a game but wargaming talks about how accurate there models are. Show me the FACTS to back that up

Don't buy premium ships if they cost really money . WOW may decide that they are too good are modify what you bought. How could they not know this would be an issue  this  premium ships are based on sister ships?"

So  you no longer got what you paid for. Terms and conditions not withstanding"

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 2

[CATS]
Players
26,859 posts
14,393 battles

Lucky you. 9000 matches and now you experience the wonders of detonation :cap_like:

• Funny 1

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
17,325 battles

Barham was sunk by three torps.

Ark Royal by one.

Kongo by two.

I remember one match in the Arizona when I was full health and was hit by one torp in the bow and blew up. Not fun.

But isn't it changed so that you can't detonate if you are above 80% HP or something like that?

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,130 posts
8,742 battles
15 minutes ago, Hanse77SWE said:

Barham was sunk by three torps.

Ark Royal by one.

Kongo by two.

I remember one match in the Arizona when I was full health and was hit by one torp in the bow and blew up. Not fun.

But isn't it changed so that you can't detonate if you are above 80% HP or something like that?

Didn't the Taiho also sink after 1-2 hits?

But yeah on topic it can't possibly be the first time in 9000 games that you experienced a detonation.

Beta Tester
5,379 posts
2,939 battles

I always find them somewhat fun. You see them every once in a while, threads claiming "ships of class X couldn't have been sunk by Y torpedoes" or shells or whatever type of armament.

Here an interesting summary from the beginning of a historical US document appropriately called the "Handbook of Damage Control", written in 1945. In it, it claims that the reasons a ship can sink are the following :

-Flooding, which may cause the ship to capsize, plunge, or (more rarely) sink bodily.
-Breaking up, which on larger and smaller vessels alike may be the loss of a significant part of bow or stern that will cause sufficient unbalance to sink the ship immediatly, or on smaller vessels may the breaking of the hull along its center, breaking the whole ship in two. A ship that loses a chunck of its bow or stern will naturelly suffer floodings, putting it a risk even if the breaking itself doesn't sink it outright.
-Severe fires. Although they cannot directly sink a ship, they may cause its abandonment, or if left to rage unchecked eventually cause damage below the waterline that will induce flooding or in harsher cases, break a part of the vessel.
-A Magazine explosion, which will just result in the three above cases at once, and can also be triggered by fires.

Since the fires and magazine explosion may cause eachother and only threaten the ship through the damage they can inflict to the hull, there are only really two ways to sink a ship. Break a part of the hull, or flood it. Any flood, unchecked, will be a threat to any vessel. If the damage control response is not appropriate, the tiniest amount of water entering the ship can doom it. In other words, a simple drill could theorically sink any battleship. Or any vessel for that matters.

Even if there was not any example of battleships sunk by two torpedoes, no more, during the war, it's ridiculous to label such a thing as impossible. Torpedo protection system don't cover the whole hull, and they're not infaillible either ; a single torpedo can and will cause floodings. If damage control is not appropriate, a single torpedo can sink anything. So the real question would be "can a single (or two) torpedo hit damage a battleship in a such a way that no damage control could save it". THAT, is a good question. And like all good questions, it doesn't have a general answer. It would depend on the battleship, the torpedo, the conditions even. Even then, it feels more likely than not~

Players
274 posts
1,794 battles
On 8/30/2020 at 6:09 PM, ollonborre said:

Didn't the Taiho also sink after 1-2 hits?

Taiho loss was down to poor damage control rather than the Torpedo inself which damage was fairly minor.

[CZSL]
Players
85 posts
3,895 battles

I remember one game in Kagero or Yugumo when I hit russian DD with 2 powerfull IJN torpedos... and this russian floating miracle survived... :cap_viking:

Sign in to follow this