Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
luokailk

Stalingrad or Smaland for ranked?

28 comments in this topic

[KITEN]
Players
128 posts
12,031 battles

Hi guys, I‚Äôd like to know your opinion for the upcoming X ranked: Which ship is more helpful (easier) to the victory, Stalingrad or Smaland? Please explain it a bit, thanks in advance ūüôā

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,521 battles

If everyone and their mother brings a Stalingrad ( or in other words it is relatively the most common ship in there ) do you still think it is an advantage bringing yet another then ?

At 2 million FreeXp there won't be nearly as many Smalands.

[SHAD]
Players
2,590 posts
11,576 battles

If there are lots of Stalingrads I’ll bring my Venezia.

Players
259 posts
5,420 battles

Unless you don't mind seeing Clonegrads pile up in MM, I suggest you don't. 

[SHAFT]
Players
9,839 posts
8,982 battles
8 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

If everyone and their mother brings a Stalingrad ( or in other words it is relatively the most common ship in there ) do you still think it is an advantage bringing yet another then ?

4 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

If there are lots of Stalingrads I’ll bring my Venezia.

2 minutes ago, SpartanRenegade said:

Unless you don't mind seeing Clonegrads pile up in MM, I suggest you don't. 

image.png.c6e178b0f3154dddb111ce18638647df.png

Only 16 TX ships are less common than Stalingrad so..

image.png.171bd78ace273f864abc3a916116d881.png

From previous ranked seasons, you dont see many stalingrads. Last ranked there were quite a few smolensks, and stalingrad deals quite well with those.

Just as comparision, Smolensk numbers:

image.png.c161891dd388692ac8c244171ce965f5.png

Season 14 most popular ships

image.png.b1835b78bb6800a0bc97a62d02f3d217.png

image.png.d1d679497f72f589c80d017a42cc5e2f.png

Stalingrad roughly in the middle out of all.

https://wows-numbers.com/de/season/14,ranked-14/

Players
1,704 posts

@luokailk It will be a difficult ranked season as It is 8x8 and there will be seven random players on your team compared to six or five previous seasons. That means it will be harder to carry, more effort to save a star which also means choosing the right ship will be very critical. Definition of the right ship is not what others think which is good for you or for the Meta but what suits you best. Choose the ship you perform best in it, you enjoy playing most.

• Cool 4

[LUZ1]
Players
661 posts
11,574 battles

T10 ranked sounds like a root canal treatment. I will go R10 this time and stop. :etc_red_button:

• Cool 4

Players
1,704 posts

@luokailk forgot to mention in my previous post, keep in mind that there will be CVs wrecking havoc on surface ships. Stalingrads  will have hard time against Hakuryu players who can manage to left click their mouse. Smaland will also suffer due to not having smoke. Halland may perform fine due to its good AA against average and below average T10 CV players. 

• Boring 1

Players
2,918 posts
16,614 battles

Nothing essentially changed since tier X CBs except we now have another tier X CV and Slava available to wreak havoc. For cruisers the choices are pretty much unchanged

- Venezia + Stalingrad

- CVs will be new german CV (ap bombs + ap rockets) and Haku

- No idea what BBs were popular, but in addition to Slava probably Kremlin and Ohio

DDs will have a tough time with CVs and Venezias around as well as radar.

I dont see Smaaland bringing anything useful to the table and I do imagine CV eating it alive. Why bring radar when there is already a zillion radarships? Halland at least have more torpedoes and AA.

I will be bringing a gunboat DD with smoke if I try my hand at DDs. Maybe Legendary Mod Harugumo will be a thing.

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
157 posts

Since i'm not interested on keeping tie X ships but to reset and i've no other TX at the moment, Salem will be my choice to get rank 10 and quit.

Don't like ranked on tier 10.

• Cool 1

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,875 posts
11,927 battles

Rekthofen or Haku will duel it out with an occasional sprikle of Halland.

Rest of the ships are just filler to start the battle.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[INSEU]
Players
78 posts
2,024 battles

Just going to be the usual ranked gameplay with rubbish teammates all over the place doing stupid things. With the amoung of stomps in ranked battles its really frustrating due to the win as a team lose as a team system so yeah rank 10 and thats it.

Players
3,413 posts
4,931 battles
2 hours ago, Camperdown said:

T10 ranked sounds like a root canal treatment. I will go R10 this time and stop. :etc_red_button:

Same here. Tho I do that stop at Rank 10 for every Ranked, especially TX.

If there will be that broken dogshit (smolensk) than I won't stick long in this season Ranked.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
6,577 posts
24,792 battles

I will take Slava or Thunderer, maybe Goliath if by some wonder a cruiser friendly enviroment develops in the Rancidtank...

If I should get frustrated by sky*ncer I will take Haku or Richthoffen to share the pain...

As for those two - DDs have better carry potential however if CVs are in it well... On the other hand if they are reducing the spotting distance in this patch? it might be feasable...

[SM0KE]
Players
5,576 posts
13,869 battles
5 hours ago, luokailk said:

Stalingrad or Smaland?

Whichever you're better in, presumably?

Of course, it'll all depend on what the meta ends up being like..

Personally, I'll only be aiming for R10 as usual, and start with my favourite DDs (at least until it becomes apparent that I'm playing the wrong class, like with the latest Sprint); depending on the prevalence of CVs, I'm assuming that anything that's entirely defenceless against average CV players will be a poor pick though.

Beta Tester
925 posts
9,389 battles

I'm gonna pass on this season, and wait until it's odd tier again for obvious reasons.

[SKM71]
[SKM71]
Players
167 posts
13,439 battles
7 hours ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

- CVs will be new german CV (ap bombs + ap rockets) and Haku

No I dont think new german CVs will be #1 pick because AP rockets do very little damage against DDs. 

[JRM]
Players
6,577 posts
24,792 battles
1 hour ago, Yxkraft said:

No I dont think new german CVs will be #1 pick because AP rockets do very little damage against DDs. 

Doesnt really matter as most ships in the match will be BBs anyhow...

• Cool 2

Players
2,918 posts
16,614 battles
1 hour ago, Yxkraft said:

They're good against cruisers though. 

Who cares about DDs when all CV needs to do is spot them.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,521 battles
20 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

They're good against cruisers though. 

Who cares about DDs when all CV needs to do is spot them.

It matters a lot !  I have a bad WR in German CV with a very high damage/kill score. It is no mystery what is going on either :

At least half of the playerbase still expects CV to Search& Destroy DD all on their own. Don't forget a lot of them don't even fire at lit up DD preferrring to shoot at easier to hit targets and this gets them in deep trouble if the CV isn't actually fighting enemy DD. I will not as AP rockets are most effective against Cruisers....so that is what i am fighting.

You likely lose the match if enemy DD can run rampant as no one else feels responsible for fighting them.

Even worse : when enemy DD run rampant the German CV player gets blamed for it. Afterall Cruisers are for flinging HE at BB and cannot be blamed for not killing enemy DD no ? As kill zone rushing DD cannot be relied upon killing enemy DD either...cannot do that when exploding within < 3 mins. And DD going anywhere else then straight to a cap to get their head blown off ? ( and have a chance on spotting/fighting that enemey DD on better terms ) reported !

I wonder even if time will ever remedy the cluelessness of players that expect German CV to automaticly SearchDestroy DD.......

• Cool 1

Players
2,918 posts
16,614 battles
2 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

You likely lose the match if enemy DD can run rampant as no one else feels responsible for fighting them.

This may be true in the lower ranked brackets and/or late in the season.

But R10 to R1 early, a spotted DD is a dead DD, at least in my experience both as DD and CV. 

Besides german CVs do have TBs for dealing with DDs which will work on distracted DDs (at least they do for my Weser). The RFs will do for finishing off wounded DDs in a pinch too, they just suck at it.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,521 battles
20 minutes ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

This may be true in the lower ranked brackets and/or late in the season.

But R10 to R1 early, a spotted DD is a dead DD, at least in my experience both as DD and CV. 

Besides german CVs do have TBs for dealing with DDs which will work on distracted DDs (at least they do for my Weser). The RFs will do for finishing off wounded DDs in a pinch too, they just suck at it.

German CV suck at fighting full HP DD. Yet are expected to by a part of the player base.

Player base : "NERF ROCKET FIGHTERS"  and at the same time : "CV KILL THAT DD !! "

Player base : "NERF CV SPOTTING"   and at the same time :  "CV SPOT DD OR REPORT !! "

No wonder WG does not really listen to such enlightened individuals. And yet they did, as AP fighters cannot hurt DD that much anymore....dualism they asked, dualism is what they got :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

Players
2,918 posts
16,614 battles
2 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

German CV suck at fighting full HP DD. Yet are expected to by a part of the player base.

Player base : "NERF ROCKET FIGHTERS"  and at the same time : "CV KILL THAT DD !! "

Player base : "NERF CV SPOTTING"   and at the same time :  "CV SPOT DD OR REPORT !! "

No wonder WG does not really listen to such enlightened individuals. And yet they did, as AP fighters cannot hurt DD that much anymore....dualism they asked, dualism is what they got :Smile_facepalm:

Actually I think WG got the CV powerlevel vs DD right with german CVs for a change. 

It's easier for the common potato to farm CAs and BBs so they mostly leave DDs unmolested. Even Unicums take a long time killing a DD - Almost as much as they need for killing a BB.

Doesn't prevent Unicums from focusing the DD and making its life miserable, but compared to Enterprise bitchslapping said DD back to port with <3 strikes, it is a definite improvement.

Today I had a decent Kagero / fubuki /ijn lolibote (cant remember) trying to torp my Weser, but he never managed to get closer than 10 km before i killed him anyway. TBs are very effective at disrupting his course too.

[JRM]
Players
6,577 posts
24,792 battles
9 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

At least half of the playerbase still expects CV to Search& Destroy DD all on their own. Don't forget a lot of them don't even fire at lit up DD preferrring to shoot at easier to hit targets and this gets them in deep trouble if the CV isn't actually fighting enemy DD.

And not only that but they expect you to search for it while lingering in AA aura, even in T10, some people should really grow a brain cell or two... :Smile_sceptic:

[LA_FR]
[LA_FR]
Players
159 posts
2,093 battles
Il y a 11 heures, Yxkraft a dit :

Yes, l'm not a great fan of Manfred V.R. It's maybe the best damage dealer for T10 Cvs but she's not polyvalent as Hakuryu or Midway. Hakuryu is very good pick but if there camping player it's will be esay to citdels cruiser and BB with AP rockets and bombers, it's just hard hubting DD with the german, torpedoes is the best weapon against them but if players are not potato they will dodge it very eazy.

Sign in to follow this