You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
JayBeeke

GPU fan error message... for a fanless GPU

14 comments in this topic

Players
1 post
336 battles

My Windows 10 system uses a Noctua NH D15 for the cpu, but it has a fanless Palit Geforce GTX1650 gpu. The game brings up the following message - a popup window about 1/3 of the width of the screen - every 15 seconds or so:

Warring - We have detected the fan is not spinning please check fan setting.

This is an overlay on every window open at that moment (it's popping up over Chrome as I'm writing this). The Noctua is running just fine, at 35°C, the GPU is still within its design limits at 75°C after the first battle. But there's no way of getting rid of this irritating message, which simply renders WoW unplayable as you need to click on it TWICE to go away: you need to select the window *and* click the OK button. 

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

JJN

[TOXIC]
Players
4,701 posts
11,892 battles

You'll probably have more luck looking for some dedicated tech advice forums - here is a poor place to seek help on issues that clearly aren't game-related (even if they interfere with it).

That being said, my first instinct (beyond googling if someone maybe has a similar issue) would be to try and upgrade all the drivers I could get my hands on (graphics card and motherboard drivers come to mind). You might need to fiddle with - or perhaps upgrade - your BIOS...

But seriously, this is not a professional advice on these issues and you probably can get something better (best case: directly relevant to someone having - and solving - a similar issue) if you google around a bit.

[JRM]
Players
6,537 posts
24,701 battles

You sure that message is sent by WOWS and not some driver or utility that came with your GFX card drivers or was installed additionally (hwmonitor and such) couse IDK why would WOWS check your GPU fan setting or even be interested in it, I never ever saw a game do that and I used to have passive cooling in my PC for quite some time (not now though)

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,487 battles

I would begin to check BIOS settings of your systems motherboard as that is probably where the warnings originate from.

If i'm not mistaken you can set/ignore all kinds of fan speed warnings in most BIOS'es. If it is not that you probably should deinstall all gfx card support software and only reinstall the actual bare drivers of the GFX chipset. If need be the original drivers it came with.

Just like Yedwy says it would be pretty weird=unlikely WOWS monitors your hardware.....that is what the BIOS layer should be doing which can directly pop warning screens in your face or let your OS/Windows do that. And as said generic support software assuming you run another GFX card with that exact same chipset  but with a fan can do that all on their own too......No one needs support software other then a bare chipset driver to make their card do what it needs to do if you are using a monitor.

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Beta Tester
157 posts
10,402 battles

Thats looks like some drivers issue. Try to leave this message alone without clicking "ok", just minimize it and hope it wont popout again.

[LSCA]
Players
1,098 posts
9,263 battles

faceless gpu , you mean you have water cooling? because  when you play games without cooling it may go very hot at some point

Players
10,017 posts
11,798 battles

Neither wows nor drivers nor windows care about whether you have fan or no on your gpu by default. But, there might some software, or rather bloatware that added itself alongside other programs which sends such push notifications about "check your fan" because it doesn't see any.

Most programs for hardware monitoring won't bother you with such notifications unless you specifically set them to.

Players
874 posts
3,425 battles
14 hours ago, JayBeeke said:

My Windows 10 system uses a Noctua NH D15 for the cpu, but it has a fanless Palit Geforce GTX1650 gpu. The game brings up the following message - a popup window about 1/3 of the width of the screen - every 15 seconds or so:

Warring - We have detected the fan is not spinning please check fan setting.

This is an overlay on every window open at that moment (it's popping up over Chrome as I'm writing this). The Noctua is running just fine, at 35°C, the GPU is still within its design limits at 75°C after the first battle. But there's no way of getting rid of this irritating message, which simply renders WoW unplayable as you need to click on it TWICE to go away: you need to select the window *and* click the OK button. 

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

JJN

I would advise you to install GPU-specific drivers from Palit instead of generic Nvidia drivers.

Players
10,017 posts
11,798 battles
1 hour ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

I would advise you to install GPU-specific drivers from Palit instead of generic Nvidia drivers.

Given most "gpu specific" drivers from manufacturers are repacks of original drivers with some fancy sprinkled on top, I see no reason why you shouldn't use original nVidia/AMD drivers.

Players
874 posts
3,425 battles
6 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Given most "gpu specific" drivers from manufacturers are repacks of original drivers with some fancy sprinkled on top, I see no reason why you shouldn't use original nVidia/AMD drivers.

I owned a computer once where it made an important difference.

[TMCB]
Players
66 posts
13,971 battles
6 hours ago, gabberworld said:

faceless gpu , you mean you have water cooling? because  when you play games without cooling it may go very hot at some point

The Palit gtx 1650 kalmx, is a great card, with passive only cooling and still great abilities to overclock without stress, you just need to make sure that your case fans can easily get rid of the hot air, so make sure the vents are free and meshes clear of dust.

Players
135 posts
2,416 battles

From Noctua web site:

I get a CPU fan error despite the fan is running!

Some mainboards display a CPU fan error when the fan speed falls below a certain threshold, e.g. 900rpm. If you want to run the fan below this speed (e.g. using the supplied U.L.N.A.), please adjust the threshold in the BIOS or disable CPU fan error warning.
  • Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,487 battles
16 minutes ago, Bender76048k said:

From Noctua web site:

I get a CPU fan error despite the fan is running!

Some mainboards display a CPU fan error when the fan speed falls below a certain threshold, e.g. 900rpm. If you want to run the fan below this speed (e.g. using the supplied U.L.N.A.), please adjust the threshold in the BIOS or disable CPU fan error warning.

Didn't i say to check the BIOS 1st thing ? Computers are completly logic acting machines :Smile_teethhappy: