You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
luokailk

How to aim CV bomber and corps accordingly?

24 comments in this topic

[KITEN]
Players
131 posts
12,218 battles

Guys, I'd like to know how to aim CV bomber and corps accordingly? 

In other ships, I know I can press Alt and check the time/smoke, but in CV?

What if the red ship turns in/out?

Thanks in advance

Beta Tester
1,003 posts
15,910 battles
1 hour ago, luokailk said:

Its funny how only RED ships can do that, isnt it?

Anyway, training room and coop are your friends on this, as the bombs and rockets have really trash aiming getting used to.

[-LA-]
Players
682 posts
5,103 battles

its all pretty obvious i think , if there is something your not understanding just ask about it here, but otherwise any youtube vid can show you the basics and a few games practice should see you on your way

[KITEN]
Players
131 posts
12,218 battles

Thanks but I checked many YT and none of them gives exact guidance like other ships aiming. 

For example, in a BB, we know exactly how much more to aim if the salvo takes 3.6s, but in a CV torp, there's NO such indicator, or did I miss something?

[-LA-]
Players
682 posts
5,103 battles
1 minute ago, luokailk said:

Thanks but I checked many YT and none of them gives exact guidance like other ships aiming. 

For example, in a BB, we know exactly how much more to aim if the salvo takes 3.6s, but in a CV torp, there's NO such indicator, or did I miss something?

yeah we dont get a lead time or the auto aim torp lines , it all comes down to experience, it depends somewhat on the nation your playing as they have different speeds/arming times but its just something you have to trial and error through im afraid, a general guide if they are moving straight and at decent speed aim about half a BB length infront of them. 

• Cool 3

[KITEN]
Players
131 posts
12,218 battles

Thanks a lot! What about torping a DD? And maybe a general guideline for the DB? :)

[TFP_]
2,796 posts
13,487 battles

Removed 1 post due to insulting nature.  

[-LA-]
Players
682 posts
5,103 battles
2 hours ago, luokailk said:

Thanks a lot! What about torping a DD? And maybe a general guideline for the DB? :)

torping a DD is an advanced/ luck based maneuvre , its still about guessing speed, they are faster drop further ahead, try and drop at 90 degs to thier path, dont expect to hit on first pass look to make them turn  hard maneuvering costs speed, speed is life when being torp dropped ,

for DB they wildly differ for the diferent nations all but Royal Navy put the crosshair on the centre of the ship be dropping in a line from bow to stern or counter direction (ie along the length of the ship) if they are turning they will also be drifting outward that needs allowing for, height for the drop is entirely dependant on your CV's nation and the target but rough and ready rule of thumb high = high pen and dispersion

• Cool 1

Players
2,905 posts

DDs need twice the length of ship sometimes more to arm and it also depends on the type of dd and plane you are handling. there's no specific rule where to drop as each ship/plane has differences in speed and arming distance. On average for large ships drop them just in front of its nose to hit them.

Players
3,329 posts
4 hours ago, luokailk said:

The new German CV's seem to be able to do this well, they need it as their rockets do jack ship to DD's, but then I am in the process of ridding myself of all non essential CV's, and that includes the premium ones.

[-LA-]
Players
682 posts
5,103 battles
35 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

The new German CV's seem to be able to do this well, they need it as their rockets do jack ship to DD's, but then I am in the process of ridding myself of all non essential CV's, and that includes the premium ones.

i honestly think the german CV' s are the worst to torp dd's with, high torp speed shaves some time from thier time to react sure, bur arming time and planes on approach give a lot of this already , i find number fish in the water, turning speed of the plane and arming time are far more useful and the german CV's ar real bad in those regards, also a fast torp is a torp that is dangerous for less time. a torp going a few knots faster than a DD takes ages to overtake and get clear, its all extra time the DD has to drive straight.

id rather take a kaga or any IJN/RN CV to torp a DD

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,130 posts
8,742 battles
1 minute ago, Padds01 said:

i honestly think the german CV' s are the worst to torp dd's with, high torp speed shaves some time from thier time to react sure, bur arming time and planes on approach give a lot of this already , i find number fish in the water, turning speed of the plane and arming time are far more useful and the german CV's ar real bad in those regards, also a fast torp is a torp that is dangerous for less time. a torp going a few knots faster than a DD takes ages to overtake and get clear, its all extra time the DD has to drive straight.

id rather take a kaga or any IJN/RN CV to torp a DD

Interesting, because I think the german CV's are some of the easiest CV's to hit DD's with, thanks to short arming time and high torp speed.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,570 battles
9 hours ago, luokailk said:

Thanks in advance

Now i think i understand you....you are missing a torpedo lead indicator like DD have ?

You don't have that in CV torpedo bombers. But then again CV torpedo bombers are very short ranged, you supposed to pratically drop them so close it is almost against ship sides. You got to take note some nations torpedo's are fast ( IJN ) and some slow ( US, UK ) making a huge difference how much you much drop ahead of enemies traveling direction. The number of torpedo's dropped, how close together they are and in what pattern is important too. All experience you gather while doing it a lot.

One thing that can mess that up futher is taking the torpedo acceleration skill. It increases arming distance so you need to drop further from the target. Don't take that skill unless you are more expereienced. I go without it alltogether, i just drop much more in front of enemy ships when the torpedo's are slow, and come around quickly to cross drop that target ( the already launched slow torpedo's force it in one direction so crossing that direction with a next drop  is a guaranteed hit) so slow torpedo's can have benefits too.

Players
368 posts
2,118 battles

Thanks in advance

*Cracks knuckles* You might want to go grab a cup of [Insert favorite caffeinated hot beverage here] for this one.

So aiming CV bombers and torpedo planes generally changes on a CV by CV basis depending on whether or not they a silver line CV or Premium CV alongside what nation they belong to and what ordinance they are dropping.

A few base rules are as follows.

+Thou shall lead thy target. Super important this one, the amount of new CV players I see aiming where the target is, rather than where it is going is painful. Remember that ALL munitions have a travel time so aim where they are going to be based around what they are doing and adjust accordingly, for example if a ship starts turning into your torpedo attack remember to drop earlier and give less lead time as the act of turning bleeds speed and course change will give less arming time.

+Thou shall learn to recognize thy enemy ship. Comes with time and practice (Ops are great for this) but all ships have different handling characteristics and speeds that need to be accounted for. Observe the ship and what the captain does when you attack them to be better able to predict how they will react on your second/third attack (how the smoke is coming out of the stacks can help determine if the ship is speeding up or slamming the brakes on)

+Thou shall aim for or ahead of the nose if at full speed. NEVER drop amidship on a moving target, you WILL miss.

+Thou shall give enough time for arming. On Torpedoes, the yellow area (see below pics) is where the torpedo hasn't armed yet. In this zone the torpedo will, upon impacting the enemy ship, make an interesting clang sound as it bounces harmlessly off the side doing sweet nothing in terms of damage. Don't be one of those CV players who complain in chat that the enemy ship is cheating because the torpedoes hit and did no damage and it's all hacks and everyone should feel bad. Instead leave a bit of green area between the yellow segment and your torpedoes aquatic victim so that if they try to turn into the torpedo attack or you have lag or the server stutters etc. etc. and so forth, your torpedoes will still arm in time.

So in the picture below you can see the lead time for a Japanese Tier 6 CV (Ryujo) with Torpedo Acceleration and Aerial Torpedo Mod 1 (at which point for admitting this I'm probably going to get slapped by some unicum CV player -_- ) again both aforementioned modifications will change how much lead time you need to give so keep that in mind.

image.thumb.png.c45c2b68dedd3a409d80659bc37de333.png

See how i'm aiming ahead  of the ship? Notice how the smoke is coming out of the funnels and going straight back indicating they are going ahead at full or close to full speed? Notice the green band between the yellow section and ship?

If you main CV this is the point where all the receptors in your brain light up and you get that giddy dopamine rush because you know you have him, he's screwed, nothing he can do at this point will allow him to dodge those torps, he's as good as dead. (well... mildly irritated due to CV torpedo damage output but still...)

And against a Cruiser

image.thumb.png.8ef2cf7a583ff246fc1497748e70281d.png

Notice how more lead time was given? How I allowed more leeway for arming time in case they tried to dodge into the attack (not that it mattered as the AI plowed into the iceberg [face palm] )

Practice, practice and more practice. If you can, go into a training room with your CV of choice, set AI to hard with no weapons and just drop on them repeatedly. Go play Ops such as Killer Wale and Newport and try to nuke DD's with your torpedo bombers. Get a bucket and soap to scrub yourself clean afterwards and go play... Tier IV... (shudders) along side the rest of the CV hoard at that tier to learn how to drop against player ships (possibly skip Tier IV and go straight to Tier VI if you don't like seal clubbing helpless surface ships)

As for dive bombing a ship all the general rules (except arming distance) apply here too (hence general rules) so.. LEAD THY TARGET as bombs take time to fall. Start the bombing run a bit early as it takes time for the planes to be able to drop during the set up phase so don't leave it until the reticule is over the ship. Start it when the reticule is where the ship will be during the dive aka. where the ship is going (lead the target)

Example A: This is a bad drop, at the height I am at and where the aiming circle is  by the time the bombs reach the ship they will either miss or hit the ships stern and over penetrate.

image.thumb.png.32deba45ccf673542aa2d2b71b1310bd.png

If I follow through on the dive though.

image.thumb.png.9095c9a591439b37b9291b4e00fc1490.png

Now when the bombs release the ship will sail straight into the bombing area, maximizing the chance of a hit amidship where the citadel is, as the Japanese drop AP bombs so you want to get that tasty Citadel strike but with HE bombs such as what the USN drop it doesn't really matter where you hit as long as it's not the top of a main battery turret (too much Armour for the bomb to penetrate)

Example of a British bombing run (gave a little bit too much lead on this one) Ideally you want the bottom of the aiming sight to be about amidship when you drop if bombing from behind although this varies per tier your at as some of the higher tier ships have more 'floaty bombs' that take longer to descend and thus need more lead time.

image.thumb.png.901c5daa06663b253578d4878f11d781.png

And the German premium with it's remarkably quiet Stukas (stares intently at WarGaming O_O), note how with this bomb drop which would have been fine for the Japanese CV's the slow fall speed of German bombs resulted in both bombs striking the BB's aft quarter where one hit the deck (Yaaay!) while one bounced off the roof of turret D (Boooooo! Op turret armor please nerf!)

image.thumb.png.ed409b0bae5c879130a036bc6ac979a5.png

This time with more lead the bombs hit amidship and both detonated  properly setting two fires

image.thumb.png.8923a84041bc3fd5c4f1cca5907ab8ca.png

Gabriel Drop Out House On Fire GIF - GabrielDropOut HouseOnFire - Discover  & Share GIFs

MWUHAHAHAHA! (ahem *cough's* )

Anyway as stated before PRACTICE! Seriously despite what some might claim getting used to CV's aiming systems and quirks and actually hitting things reliably is hard when your starting out. You will screw up, you will miss targets and slap yourself for it, you will "accidentally" torpedo your allies complete with

Image result for anime embarrassed gif red face | Blushing anime, Anime,  Anime expressions

reaction.

But sooner or later with enough practice you will join the ranks of the infamous CV lords who single handedly give WarGaming a migraine and start a hundred thousand new anti-CV threads a day with their shenanigans.

AzurLane

(OP CV captain staring mercilessly at their next victim)

Edited by DeviousDave02
Accidentally deleted part of it (whoops)
  • Cool 10
  • Funny 1

[INSEU]
Players
78 posts
2,024 battles

Always approach from flat angle of the ship and just drop the torpedos there, if ship dodges then come around from his broadside and drop again. With bombers go head on or tails on with the target, start run a little earlier if ship is approaching, or a little later if ship is moving away. Then do the same thing when dropping bombs and pray to RNG for good drop :Smile_coin:

[INSEU]
Players
78 posts
2,024 battles
50 minutes ago, DeviousDave02 said:

image.thumb.png.8ef2cf7a583ff246fc1497748e70281d.png

Very interesting mod (especially the healthpool) :cap_cool:

• Cool 1

Players
368 posts
2,118 battles
3 minutes ago, ZifTTroll said:

Very interesting mod (especially the healthpool) :cap_cool:

Aslain mod pack.

https://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-download-★-world-of-warships-★-modpack/

Used to use it for the AA value number icon it added to the side bar back in the days of RTS CV's where knowing if a ship had powerful AA or not actually mattered.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,570 battles
15 hours ago, DeviousDave02 said:

Gabriel Drop Out House On Fire GIF - GabrielDropOut HouseOnFire - Discover  & Share GIFs

You will screw up, you will miss targets and slap yourself for it, you will "accidentally" torpedo your allies complete with

I do not accidently torpedo allies anymore neither do i slap myself for it.......i risk it on purpose if i can snap away a kill before an ally gets it, and congratulate myself on a kill even one with some "unavoidable" collateral damage. It is the U.S. way IRL you know... :Smile_teethhappy:

Nice guide however. Any guide comment on very specific Graf Zeppelin and E.Lowenhardt bomb drop patterns ?  Even more skilled CV players struggle with them. Maybe they do not admit it but when you read "trash ship" you know they do. :Smile_coin:

[BBMM]
Players
6,017 posts
7,722 battles
18 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

and that includes the premium ones.

If you sell those, you may get them AGAIN in the next "lucky crate"... 

• Funny 1

Players
3,329 posts
3 hours ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

If you sell those, you may get them AGAIN in the next "lucky crate"... 

That would just be my luck, but the I will double down on not buying the magic Santa stuff anymore:Smile_veryhappy:

Players
7,111 posts
245 battles
3 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

I do not accidently torpedo allies anymore neither do i slap myself for it.......i risk it on purpose if i can snap away a kill before an ally gets it, and congratulate myself on a kill even one with some "unavoidable" collateral damage. It is the U.S. way IRL you know... :Smile_teethhappy:

Nice guide however. Any guide comment on very specific Graf Zeppelin and E.Lowenhardt bomb drop patterns ?  Even more skilled CV players struggle with them. Maybe they do not admit it but when you read "trash ship" you know they do. :Smile_coin:

Aiming for centre mass usually works due to how wonky the bombs are if coming from the side placing the reticle just in front of the superstructure should help as well.

Dunno if they are more or less accurate from the side compared to other angles however.

Players
368 posts
2,118 battles
3 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

While I can't really talk about Graf Zepp as I rarely play her. With E.L I can say that her bomb aiming is surprisingly good considering she has the same RNG circle cross-hair that makes getting Graf Z's bombs remarkably hard to hit with.

Initially I believed the drop pattern itself differed depending on how you attack the target, full throttle or breaking, high or low release point. Further testing implies that it is complete RNG so with that in mind I would say your best bet is to boost during the dive or wait until the last second to get as low as possible before release to give the minimum amount of drifting time to the bombs.

In picture A both bombs went to the left hand side on release. This was while breaking and at mid height release.

image.thumb.png.b5a1233076438f3239c540041009f5f5.png

Picture B, same set up only this time both bombs drifted towards the opposite outer edge by crossing after release.

image.thumb.png.4c5aac2b61ab794b6448ea23aa968e76.png

Picture C. Both bombs drifted right but because I was so low still hit the ship, one pattern I have noticed over these multiple test drops is that bombs tend to drift towards open water if you have any large amounts of it within the bombing area (possibly bias here)

image.thumb.png.fe04a534673c8767088bbdb5ecd9ac1b.png

Again, drifted to the right.

image.thumb.png.0a159359211f69601a1e7147b8e4d913.png

Annoyingly both bombs decided to cross and say hello to turret B and C's roofs doing no damage (well... besides one fire)

image.thumb.png.04b6045ea22fa0186b812d4f7860d221.png

E.L's dive bombers are pretty good, despite the water hunting tendencies of the bombs and the insistence to go after turret roofs they are fairly accurate with excellent fire chance. It's just they can't compete with the ease of use and direct damage that other CV's have through good/passable torpedoes. The damage output, while nice for a tier 6 CV's dive bombers, isn't high enough to offset her cripplingly bad torpedo bombers that really hold her back from being in the great CV category.

She also loses out to the Ranger in overall DB reliability as while E.L drops two 12,200 damage bombs with a maxed out 76% fire chance per bomb for a potential 24.4k damage that in reality is around about 7-8k due to the nature of HE mechanics. The Ranger drops three 9,200 damage bombs with a 59% fire chance per bomb for a potential 27.6k damage which comes down to roughly 6-7k damage. 

Ranger has the advantage due to dropping three bombs that means if one bomb goes AWOL then she still does two thirds of her potential damage output and also gets three chances per attack to roll on the RNG spontaneous combustion chart to start a fire while E.L loses 50% of her damage output with a wayward bomb and only get's two chances for a fire.

That and Ranger has decent Torpedo bombers.....

E.L is (IMO) a weaker CV but not because of her DB's or rocket planes. It's due to her appalling, insult to the entire German nation tier/oh god what were War Gaming thinking/ #Fixthisplease level torpedo bombers that have no real use outside being a filler squadron for when others are regenerating and that enemy BB needs to die (and even then I'd be tempted to send rocket planes instead and go after the superstructure and upper hull)

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,017 posts
7,722 battles
5 hours ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

That would just be my luck, but the I will double down on not buying the magic Santa stuff anymore:Smile_veryhappy:

That just means you buy 10 instead of 20.... :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[_I_]
Players
527 posts
18,121 battles
On 8/29/2020 at 12:29 PM, luokailk said:

People actually look at the seconds? :cap_cool: