Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HassenderZerhacker

where to aim

26 comments in this topic

Players
875 posts
3,425 battles

as citadels at tiers 8+ are mostly only accessible with plunging fire or through the bow (please don't post the handful of exceptions just to prove I was right to write "mostly"), is there a guide on where to aim on tier 8+ ships (cruisers and BBs), depending on guns used, type of target (BB, USN supercruiser, Russian cruiser, etc.), angling and range?

• Bad 2

Players
348 posts
5,434 battles
2 minutes ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

is there a guide on where to aim on tier 8+ ships, depending on guns used, type of target (BB, USN supercruiser, Russian cruiser, etc.), angling and range? 

Stalingrad can blap other cruisers even at range . Otherwise basically when you are in a cruiser you should use your ap only when your target is sailing broadside under 14-15km . 12 km and under being sweet spot .

Beta Tester
1,506 posts
17,412 battles
Vor 41 Minuten, HassenderZerhacker sagte:

as citadels at tiers 8+ are mostly only accessible with plunging fire or through the bow (please don't post the handful of exceptions just to prove I was right to write "mostly"), is there a guide on where to aim on tier 8+ ships (cruisers and BBs), depending on guns used, type of target (BB, USN supercruiser, Russian cruiser, etc.), angling and range?

I am not aware of such guide.

Here's how other players do it: they memorize penetration values of their own ship's guns and the armour layout of all enemy ships. Then they go in the training room and shoot at selected targets from different ranges and angles.

In other words: it takes quite an effort to master this subject.

Players who cannot or do not want to put in such an effort can use simplified models of armour schemes and penetration values.

• Cool 2

Players
825 posts
9,393 battles

I just use the force.

But also practice in Co-Op.

And see videos in YT, you get good advice there most of the times.

37-anh-luke-xwing-use-the-force.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[NWP]
Players
2,725 posts
16,684 battles

Which ship is doing the shooting, and how is your target angled?

There is no "one size fits all" answer to your question OP.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,874 posts
14,399 battles

You just need a big gun.

And watching how quickly some players sink during the matches, citadels do not seem rare.

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
2,611 posts
11,676 battles
2 hours ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

I think the premise is wrong.

Nearly all cruisers have an exposed citadel, vulnerable when ever they are broadside.

Most battleships have a waterline citadel that is harder to hit but it’s still there.

Citadels that require plunging fire to hit are far more rare than those that don’t.

• Cool 2

[SHAFT]
Players
9,890 posts
9,003 battles
3 hours ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

is there a guide on where to aim

Too complex. Noone could remember when to aim for the citadel depending on range and angle. If a ship is flat broadside, citadelling it is easier than if its 45° angled.

You only need to know ships with rather bad pen (german CAs) or ships with really good pen (Stalingrad, Petro).

If you pay attention to whats happening, and dismiss freak citadels, you will get a feeling when you can get citadels and when not.

Beta Tester
1,003 posts
15,910 battles
4 hours ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

is there a guide on where to aim

Aim where ever you like, dispersion and RNG will screw you hard regardless.

When WG made this game BOT friendly, it became inconsistent in terms of punishing mistakes of others, if the stars aligned perfectly you will get good results, if not, well, overpenetrations are your friend.

Players
2,257 posts

Against BB's or Cruisers, as a BB if I can, I aim for the waterline just behind the first set of turrets and as I fire I lift my sights through the salvo...

Players
875 posts
3,425 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Too complex. Noone could remember when to aim for the citadel depending on range and angle. If a ship is flat broadside, citadelling it is easier than if its 45° angled.

You only need to know ships with rather bad pen (german CAs) or ships with really good pen (Stalingrad, Petro).

If you pay attention to whats happening, and dismiss freak citadels, you will get a feeling when you can get citadels and when not.

I probably worded my post wrong, I am not after citadels but I want to do maximum damage in the absence of a chance to hit the citadel.

On German BBs, I know I should aim at the upper armor belt which has feeble armor. On angled Russian cruisers, I got really good results aiming at the lower superstructure when in my Odin.

I was hoping there would be more information out on the subject.

[I-J-N]
Players
4,777 posts
3 hours ago, 159Hunter said:

I occasionally look at the minimap (yes, really) and I always wonder how differently the ship seems to be angled towards me on the minimap as opposed to my sights... I'm not actually sure which shows the correct angle.

As for citadels hits, most of the few I get seem completely accidental.

• Cool 1

Players
875 posts
3,425 battles
3 hours ago, 159Hunter said:

your answer is in the opening post.

I asked for a guide, not for a single, "one size fits all" answer.

for example, I have big BB guns, >400mm, and there is an 45° angled Russian armored cruiser at 10 Km.

or... same situation with Bismarck 380mm.

or.. same but it's at 15 Km.

or... I have Hipper cruiser guns 203mm and there is an angled RN cruiser at 10 Km

or... I have Scharnhorst 285 or Odin 305 guns and there is a German broadsidish BB at 7 Km (for that situation I know... I have to aim at the upper armor belt)

[SHAFT]
Players
9,890 posts
9,003 battles
14 minutes ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

Still rather complex:

- CLs can shoot Ap against everything, which is not too heavily armor (german/Russian BBs) when they show broadside. F.e. Smolensk vs broadside Montana can deal a lot of damage even midrange, because Monty has 38mm upper belt.

If you are close enough to aim for the Bow/stern, you can do that aswell.

How to dismantly a russian BB close quarter.

Can also Citadel Stalingrad if you are close enough.

- CAs it kinda depends. Most of them can citadel CLs at any range. Against other CAs, it gets a bit more tricky. But with acceptable reload, you should realize if you get citadels or shatters. If you get shatters, aim higher.

And against BBs, it really depends on the CA and the BB in question. Some can citadel them at slightly more range than others (Moskva f.e.), while something like Hindenburg can hardly citadel BBs at all. So with Hindenburg, its better to aim higher (upper belt) even in close range engagements to get pens. Moskva on the other hand can go for Cits.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
2,725 posts
16,684 battles
19 hours ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

your answer is in the opening post.

for example, I have big BB guns, >400mm, and there is an 45° angled Russian armored cruiser at 10 Km.

or... same situation with Bismarck 380mm.

or.. same but it's at 15 Km.

or... I have Hipper cruiser guns 203mm and there is an angled RN cruiser at 10 Km

or... I have Scharnhorst 285 or Odin 305 guns and there is a German broadsidish BB at 7 Km (for that situation I know... I have to aim at the upper armor belt)

Those guides don't exist. The general WG tips and tricks where posted above. But I sincerely doubt someone will write this for all occasions.

If you want to know and haven't figured it out playing randoms: set up a training room and test the situations where you felt you were unsure what to do.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
6,596 posts
24,873 battles
On 8/29/2020 at 7:35 AM, Johnny_Moneto said:

I am not aware of such guide.

Here's how other players do it: they memorize penetration values of their own ship's guns and the armour layout of all enemy ships. Then they go in the training room and shoot at selected targets from different ranges and angles.

Or they just shoot the broadside and hope it sticks...? OFC there are some exceptions it pays to memorise (Yamasashima cheeks for instance) as they give an edge in CQB but overall for most shots in the average hightier engagement ranges RNGesus will decide where your shells will actually go anyways...

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,581 battles

I have the impression aiming ever so slightly below the waterline has some advantages : it seems more likely to penetrate some underwater citadels and it seems to brake shells in speed ( the now slower shells spend more time inside the ship before the fuse ignites ) that would otherwise overpenetrate.

I'm no expert  but lately i have seen such results now that i pay attention to it.

Ofcourse needs to be mentioned with above shots i am close enough ( under 8 km ) to hit under the waterline when i actually aim there. At camper ranges ( 20+ ) i think all shots that penetrate are lucky because of dispersion or coming from a rediculous OP railgun ship.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,890 posts
9,003 battles
4 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

it seems more likely to penetrate some underwater citadels and it seems to brake shells in speed ( the now slower shells spend more time inside the ship before the fuse ignites )

A shell hitting the water will start its fuse.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,581 battles
17 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

A shell hitting the water will start its fuse.

All i am interested in is that it does not overpenetrate. Slowed down shells or already activated fuse = all good when the shell fly into a citadel/magazine and explode there.

Narai seems to be a perfect testing ground for it. Both the Missouri and the Lexington can be single salvo broadsided by tier VII BB ( without use of torpedos ) there while a lot of players - including me previously - struggle to kill them in time shooting at thick armor of thin plating if no one torpedoes them.

[SHAD]
Players
2,611 posts
11,676 battles

Hitting the water first seems to work against lightly armoured cruisers but in general I would wait till they angle a bit more to get citadels.

I haven't read anywhere that hitting armour or water slows shell speed at all, so i would assume they do not.

I also haven't read if hitting water reduces the amount of penetration available.

All Wargaming seems to say is the hitting water arms the fuse so it starts the fuse countdown early, perfect for a narrow cruisers.

Players
10,038 posts
11,833 battles
On 8/29/2020 at 6:46 AM, HassenderZerhacker said:

Aim at waterline and pray to RNGesus. Alternatively simply pray to RNGesus.

Thats all.

Sign in to follow this