Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatSunJester

Remove Detonation from Ranked Battles?

19 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
149 posts
3,143 battles

So here's the scene. I'm dueling the enemy DD in Ranked Battles. I'm in Jutland, he's in a Kitakaze. He's knocked down to c.5k health, I'm almost full. I push on him with hydro running to secure the kill, and with it probably the match as it would be me and FDG vs the enemy FDG and we'd hold both caps. However, little did I know I'd run out of JC flags, and a shot from the Kita's second volley detonates my ship (he's on about 1k  hp left). Needless to say, this felt like a pretty s***** way to lose the match on ranked, where skilled play should be rewarded and win the game rather than RNG determining the outcome.

What do you guys think? Should this be removed from Ranked. Should WG implement a notification when flags get uninstalled because you have run out of them?

P.S. At least I now have some more JC flags.....

[LEEUW]
Players
2,318 posts
10,110 battles

ftfy

1 hour ago, TheGreatSunJester said:

What do you guys think? Should this be removed.

yes.

[SLAPP]
Players
1,382 posts
8,686 battles

i wont mind keep the flags for random battles

[WGP2L]
Players
159 posts
12,035 battles

Remove detonation from the whole game. Of course, WG will not do it because they would not sell anti-detonation flags.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
Players
4,703 posts
11,894 battles
5 hours ago, TheGreatSunJester said:

So here's the scene. I'm dueling the enemy DD in Ranked Battles. I'm in Jutland, he's in a Kitakaze. He's knocked down to c.5k health, I'm almost full. I push on him with hydro running to secure the kill, and with it probably the match as it would be me and FDG vs the enemy FDG and we'd hold both caps. However, little did I know I'd run out of JC flags, and a shot from the Kita's second volley detonates my ship (he's on about 1k  hp left). Needless to say, this felt like a pretty s***** way to lose the match on ranked, where skilled play should be rewarded and win the game rather than RNG determining the outcome.

What do you guys think? Should this be removed from Ranked. Should WG implement a notification when flags get uninstalled because you have run out of them?

P.S. At least I now have some more JC flags.....

I'm in favor of removing detonation from ALL game modes.

That being said, it's really a mess-up on your part that you failed to bring the signals. We're long past the times when they only came from crates, missions and getting blown up - now you can just buy them for credits in the armory... It's a good idea to just invest in a sizeable stock of them and make sure you never get low. In fact, unless you're strained for credits for whatever reason (a bit of an alien idea to me but I know some people focused on grinding new lines have this problem), it might be a good idea to set the intended reserve at 100+ and purchase a couple bundles every time you notice you've dropped below 100 - no way it will suddenly run out then :cap_tea:

• Cool 2

Players
163 posts
5,047 battles

lots of mandatory flags in the game

detonation has the highest concentrated burst of feeling bad out of all of them 

but constant on fire feels just as bad when you distill its feeling over the course of a game 

its just as essential, the rng of you feeling it is just far more reliable, trying to force you into acceptance, but it never really happens 

[LUZ1]
Players
636 posts
11,532 battles

As I am not willing to be ripped off for cash by WG, I save up my deto signals for ranked battles. I don't use them in randoms cause detonation is relatively rare.

• Cool 2

[PISH]
Players
370 posts
3,071 battles

Detonations are so rare that it's a non issue. Hell sometime you don't even notice you detonate someone.

That being said I think a notification for flags wpuld be good.

Also detonations should have a better visual. Really show the magazines exploding.

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
6,548 posts
24,729 battles

I actually consider detonation as part of the immersion, we all know that happened IRL now piece of cloth making it not possible is not that realistic OFC but its the game after all and the deto flags are easily available from armory...

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
3,313 posts
14,500 battles

Detonation in Ranked and CW has always been stupid.

Just use the signal though... You can at least buy it for credits now. 

Players
502 posts
1,580 battles

Detonations or the 'Golden BB' an underpowered shot which destroys a much bigger ship, has been a part of naval warfare since blackpowder (or Greek Fire) was onboard.

Strange how you never see someone moan about "I shot at a full health Smolensk and he just blew up" no fun at all.......:Smile-_tongue:

:cap_popcorn:

• Cool 2

[DREAD]
Players
9,695 posts
6,862 battles
10 hours ago, TheGreatSunJester said:

What do you guys think? Should this be removed from Ranked

No. And certainly no special rules for ranked

EDIT: the game is predictable and dumbed down enough. 

• Cool 4

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,487 battles

I like detonations.....who can dislike enemies suddenly blowing up ?

And yes once in a while i blow up myself too, i do not use signals often ( only when i get them for some reason and then preferably on fragile unarmoured DD ) or the 1st slot ship module and it still is a rare occasion.

Besides that it is probably most hated by players that think much of their skills.  In that this feature can do no wrong with me either.

[GOUF]
Beta Tester
318 posts
6,691 battles
13 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Detonation in Ranked and CW has always been stupid.

Just use the signal though... You can at least buy it for credits now. 

I kind of disagree here: Ranked and CW are supposed to require more dedication than random matches, and is not an effort *that* big because, as you correctly said, you can directly buy the flags now.

Beta Tester
149 posts
3,143 battles
6 hours ago, eliastion said:

I'm in favor of removing detonation from ALL game modes.

That being said, it's really a mess-up on your part that you failed to bring the signals. We're long past the times when they only came from crates, missions and getting blown up - now you can just buy them for credits in the armory... It's a good idea to just invest in a sizeable stock of them and make sure you never get low. In fact, unless you're strained for credits for whatever reason (a bit of an alien idea to me but I know some people focused on grinding new lines have this problem), it might be a good idea to set the intended reserve at 100+ and purchase a couple bundles every time you notice you've dropped below 100 - no way it will suddenly run out then :cap_tea:

Regarding your second point, which a couple of people have made. As I stated in my original post, I thought I did have JC on the ship, but apparently I had run out of stock of them. Because the game fails to notify you when you run out of flags and they get demounted the only way I found out was when I got detonated. Hence my second point suggesting a notification when you run out of them.

[YOBOY]
Players
1,062 posts
9,605 battles

How dare you suggesting to remove such fun & engagingtm  game mechanic you capitalist swine! Go to Gulag and eat a cyclone on the way!

[ANV]
Players
550 posts
4,693 battles

I got detonated in ranked by a torp in my Pommern. At first I was like WTF happened? When I saw I detonated I just laughed, it was funny. So, they should keep it.

What they should do however is make it more spectacular: mushroom cloud, turrets flying through the air etc. That would seem to be reasonable payback.

[_DIB_]
Players
168 posts
13,440 battles
2 hours ago, TheGreatSunJester said:

I thought I did have JC on the ship, but apparently I had run out of stock of them.

I take it you have your signals automatically rest to the ship after you finish a set? Yes? If so take your autorest off and you will never lose track of how many you have. If you have it on manually then its on you.

Denations are good if your one not getting det but sucks if you are. For me its a goed indicator i did something wrong and got sloppy in the set.

Sign in to follow this