You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MadBadDave

Non DD player awareness

26 comments in this topic

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

I have a lot of DDs, whilst cruisers are my favourite ship type it’s DDs that have easily the biggest play count of my 2 years and 7000 battles, I run RPF on every single DD and never rush into the cap, I sit just outside spotting, Torp spamming and in Hallands case provide an AA screen to ships behind me.

I played a game the other day that totally highlights the lack of awareness by certain players, because I didn’t rush into the cap, where a red radar cruiser was spotted I was fired at and an Odin player sent about 10 quick short messages about how poor I was etc, what he didn’t realise was that a red Z46 was lurking away from the cap, while I was fencing with him Odin went into the cap and lasted 10 seconds, once the cap was clear it was then capped, and we went in to secure an easy win.  Had I not had RPF and gone into the cap I’d have lasted as long as the Odin, and the z46 would’ve stealth torp’d and we’d have lost, by not capping at the start my actions essentially helped the team win.    Would the Odin and many still understand “how to play”, even if you drew them a picture in crayon ?

• Cool 8

[POP]
Players
663 posts
13,145 battles
10 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

totally highlights the lack of awareness by certain players

That's the norm! Not the exception.

• Cool 3

[NECRO]
Players
687 posts

I am holding my breath in anticipation while this epic of your unparalleled exploits unfolds. Homeric verses seem barely adequate to bear witness of your heroism and skill. Alas, a true demigod of the ocean has revealed himself amongst us simple peasants.

• Funny 6
  • Boring 1

Players
150 posts
21 minutes ago, HARBINGER_OF_SKULLS said:

I am holding my breath in anticipation while this epic of your unparalleled exploits unfolds. Homeric verses seem barely adequate to bear witness of your heroism and skill. Alas, a true demigod of the ocean has revealed himself amongst us simple peasants.

Thank you for your constructive contribution. I almost never play DD's and I learned something from OP.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
6,705 posts
15,193 battles

Sadly, it's a common malady amongst many of the players; I suspect it's a mixture of not understanding how DDs work, and over-confidence in one's own knowledge/abilities. Also, in the specific case of Odin, I would image that a not insignificant number of them in game are their owners' first (or at least very early) T8, with all the issues that brings.

DD players will all be familiar with team-mates failing to sink radar ships/DDs, and farming meaningless damage from BBs instead. Of course, as DD players, it's worth occasionally reminding ourselves that - as egregious as the idea may seem - everyone else doesn't exist solely to support us. On the other hand, it would be nice if happened at least for the more glaringly obvious moments.

I suppose the trouble is that, to be good at this sort of thing, one needs to learn quite a lot about the game and the various ships in it; many players don't seem to have the time or inclination, and just want to shoot stuff with enormous naval artillery...

• Cool 4

Players
2,466 posts

I had the same today in my Halland.

I refused to cap because had the enemy radar been close I would have been detected and most likely sunk.

However, spotting from the enemy flank I turned 3 oncoming enemy ships and even managed to land some torpedo hits... I then continued spotting (five ships in total) of which all but one were sunk. I then capped a safer cap, sank an enemy DD and put paid to a GK with torps causing 21k flooding before an allied BB nailed him..

I get to port to see -6 Karma...

It's like players think DD's has such great health pools that they can play recklessly.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[BS4]
Players
1,437 posts
8,011 battles
21 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I suppose the trouble is that, to be good at this sort of thing, one needs to learn quite a lot about the game and the various ships in it; many players don't seem to have the time or inclination, and just want to shoot stuff with enormous naval artillery...

yup pretty much this.

I suppose I can appreciate that it can be challenging to target both audiences ie those who want a realistic and immersive experience which involves using one's brain as well as catering for "i just ant to play for fun" Mentality.

• Cool 2

Players
2,466 posts
2 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

realistic and immersive experience which involves using one's brain 

That's just wiped out how many of the WOW's population?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[TACHA]
Players
331 posts
6,123 battles

Funny but even as a noob I see my job to support my DD's even shooting others in a BB when they are contesting even if it costs me damage. Loose your DDs and you've probably lost the game.

• Cool 1

Players
2,466 posts
1 minute ago, HansRoaming said:

Funny but even as a noob I see my job to support my DD's even shooting others in a BB when they are contesting even if it costs me damage. Loose your DDs and you've probably lost the game.

Lose your DD's and you will lose the game...

• Cool 1

Players
909 posts
6,243 battles

My POV

- Situational awareness - IN GENERAL -  is one of the hardest things to learn in this game.

- Some people will never learn anyway, at any point. And that is aside from differences in interpretation (Why you running away, caps are 'there' you bad player,' while from my POV turning around I would have offered full broadside to a FdG and a Musashi.

- Some people are simply set in a certain way, for whatever reason: "This ship should be doing X, and anything else is wrong."

• Cool 2

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

Other than the usual funny contribution regarding ones heroism, the sensible replies highlight the bigger problem, total awareness among the player base, thus far I’ve had 2259 Randoms  In DD’s,   2181 In Cruisers, 2093 in BB’s  and 201 in cvs which has given me an appreciation for each class, sadly while it’s a team game there are a lot of “individuals” that play as such.   If WG ever takes its head out of the sand in order to resolve game issues and implements a coherent I do believe a bit of time in each class can improve everyone’s play be the general state of play, if the Odin player is anything to go by they clearly haven’t played a DD and wouldn’t know to support rather than shoot at it.  

As with the above how many players ignore and don’t use the mini map?, 50% or higher do you think ?.

[GJE]
Players
371 posts
5,102 battles

I lost 5 or 6 points of karma today, just by not abiding by mighty BBs requests to cap or spot and so on :) And a lot of abuse in chat of course. 

Oh well. There was a time when I was green like grass and did as I was told in chat, just assuming that these are more experienced players. So wrong I was :D

Now I don't pay much attention, unless I can recognize that someone genuinely wants to cooperate. Otherwise I play my game - I spot, torp, cap and contest - but only on my terms. 

• Cool 3

Players
109 posts

There's no incentive amongst the ( And I am being nice here) ''lesser skilled playerbase''
''Oh you got a lowtier ship and want to play with the big boys? Just buy a T8-9 prem ship comrade!''
''Oh you dont have enough credits? just exchange for dubloons comrade''
''Not enough exp? Just buy/use dragon flags comrade''
Absolutely nothing in the game rewards new/bad players for being patient and trying to learn the game, the alure of buying a shiny new Tirpitz/Masachusetts/Whatevers on sale is just the easy way out to play hightiers.

Players
3,554 posts
2 hours ago, MadBadDave said:

I have a lot of DDs, whilst cruisers are my favourite ship type it’s DDs that have easily the biggest play count of my 2 years and 7000 battles, I run RPF on every single DD and never rush into the cap, I sit just outside spotting, Torp spamming and in Hallands case provide an AA screen to ships behind me.

I played a game the other day that totally highlights the lack of awareness by certain players, because I didn’t rush into the cap, where a red radar cruiser was spotted I was fired at and an Odin player sent about 10 quick short messages about how poor I was etc, what he didn’t realise was that a red Z46 was lurking away from the cap, while I was fencing with him Odin went into the cap and lasted 10 seconds, once the cap was clear it was then capped, and we went in to secure an easy win.  Had I not had RPF and gone into the cap I’d have lasted as long as the Odin, and the z46 would’ve stealth torp’d and we’d have lost, by not capping at the start my actions essentially helped the team win.    Would the Odin and many still understand “how to play”, even if you drew them a picture in crayon ?

I would be very happy if you drew me pictures in crayon, although proper art pencils works just fine:Smile_veryhappy:

Now if you also draw some pictures of how to aggressively play cruisers, i would buy you a pint:cap_like:

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

And DD are not the only ones that are hindered by players in general refusing to shoot at outside cap lurking Cruisers. These Cruisers happen to hinder and disrupt anti-DD actions by CV players as well. And they should be, that is not the point.

The point is the absurd notion that often i found myself completely alone trying to kill a DD in cap while a whole team happily lobs HE shells at other far more easy-to-hit targets : BB. And ignore both the enemy DD and it's supporting enemy Cruisers. When playing DD myself i had such experiences again making clear it is no exception but the rule. Quite bothersome if the enemy does happen to have Cruisers that do their jobs and kill you.......

It is about time WG reduced fire chance so Cruisers start doing their jobs : kill enemy DD and Cruisers. Not exclusively lob HE at distant BB setting them on fire. Quite some amount of wizards here too even attacking you if you have comments on such retarded fire builds as well. Quite obvious what they are shooting at.... :Smile_facepalm:

With the arrival of German CV there is quite some shift going on who's responsibility it is to Search&Destroy the enemy DD's. It seems to sink it is not the CV's task per definition. And Cruisers need to fire on DD and not BB as priority targets.

• Cool 2

[BS4]
Players
1,437 posts
8,011 battles

53 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

Now if you also draw some pictures of how to aggressively play cruisers, i would buy you a pint:cap_like:

Thats actually not an easy thing to do these days mate so he could be going thirsty....

24 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

It is about time WG reduced fire chance so Cruisers start doing their jobs : kill enemy DD and Cruisers. Not exclusively lob HE at distant BB setting them on fire.

Its not about fire chance i think Beasty, They are literally forced to lob over islands because due to Wgee's wisdom in bringing out so many new BB 's with insane firepower and bigger rounds, that's literally the only way cruisers can survive sometimes and thus have any influence on the game. Its very hard to contest caps when spotted in a cruiser (thanks to the extra influence of CV ) these days as you are literally obliterated from any angle. Its like they increase Everything except the armour that receives those rounds and instead throw in a gimmicky mechanic thinking that will mitigate the new damage potential of the master race of BB that are currently in the game.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
2,193 posts
20,211 battles

Sadly its not unusual to encounter such players they demand DDs YOLO rush the cap win it and destroy the enemy DD so they can sit back happily spamming HE into the enemy BBs at maximum range. Even when you spot a cruiser or DD that's much closer and they have a clear shot at it they wont bother because that would be the smart thing to do no they want those max range targets. 

• Cool 4

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
41 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Its not about fire chance i think Beasty, They are literally forced to lob over islands because due to Wgee's wisdom in bringing out so many new BB 's with insane firepower and bigger rounds, that's literally the only way cruisers can survive sometimes and thus have any influence on the game. Its very hard to contest caps when spotted in a cruiser (thanks to the extra influence of CV ) these days as you are literally obliterated from any angle. Its like they increase Everything except the armour that receives those rounds and instead throw in a gimmicky mechanic thinking that will mitigate the new damage potential of the master race of BB that are currently in the game.

Players in general do not care what gives them the ability to fire on distant targets in the first place : foreward DD and CV planes. They do not attempt to protect them, only report or complain when spotting is not provided. :Smile_facepalm:

So it probably is a good thing spotting is both automatic and rewarded by score. ( spotted ribbons and indirect damage )

But it does raise a brow on me when i read some wizards want spotting removed from CV.......right.....i think they did not think very hard on what the consequences would be. As they report anyone that causes the effect of no/late spotting :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

[CHEFT]
Players
12,416 posts
9,841 battles
15 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

But it does raise a brow on me when i read some wizards want spotting removed from CV.......right.....i think they did not think very hard on what the consequences would be. As they report anyone that causes the effect of no/late spotting

Yeah right, i wonder how people manage in games without CV :cap_fainting:

Or how did we get by for the first 3-4 years before they reworked CVs?

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
20 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Yeah right, i wonder how people manage in games without CV :cap_fainting:

In games without CV these lamentable players try to dominate their will upon DD players of course. Without them they are blind as a bat and think the DD should care about that when they are not supporting the DD against enemy DD and enemy DD supporting Cruisers anyway.  :Smile_facepalm:

I play both CV and DD.....i know all about "i need intelligence" or worse "spot or i report" players that at the same time refuse to fire on DD or support Cruisers.  :Smile_facepalm:

They are in luck spotting is both automatic and score rewarding. And should think a little bit harder when opting to cut that. No vision, no HE shell lobbing at distant BB. The world would end....

Maybe reducing fire chance is not the only thing WG should adress to correct that absurd player behaviour. Limited spotting range for both DD and CV would prevent senseless HE shell lobbing at distant BB too, and probably end useless camping in the back while at it. When thinking of it, the only spotting range DD should transmit is the position of enemy Support Cruisers endangering them while fighting the enemy DD.

• Boring 1

Players
3,554 posts
2 hours ago, Blame_RNG said:

There's no incentive amongst the ( And I am being nice here) ''lesser skilled playerbase''
''Oh you got a lowtier ship and want to play with the big boys? Just buy a T8-9 prem ship comrade!''
''Oh you dont have enough credits? just exchange for dubloons comrade''
''Not enough exp? Just buy/use dragon flags comrade''
Absolutely nothing in the game rewards new/bad players for being patient and trying to learn the game, the alure of buying a shiny new Tirpitz/Masachusetts/Whatevers on sale is just the easy way out to play hightiers.

I must take issue there, I do try ,sometimes it works too, my alt is a healthy 50% which is nothing I know to al the pro's out there, but for me it is heads in the clouds stuff, woo hoo, lol

Players
109 posts
6 minutes ago, Inappropriate_noob said:

I must take issue there, I do try ,sometimes it works too, my alt is a healthy 50% which is nothing I know to al the pro's out there, but for me it is heads in the clouds stuff, woo hoo, lol

That was bad phrasing on my part. I wanted to refer to the lesser skilled playerbase that refuse to learn. You know the sub 45% winrate people that pLaY fOr FuN

• Cool 1

Players
78 posts
2,024 battles
2 hours ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Its very hard to contest caps when spotted in a cruiser (thanks to the extra influence of CV ) these days as you are literally obliterated from any angle. Its like they increase Everything except the armour that receives those rounds and instead throw in a gimmicky mechanic thinking that will mitigate the new damage potential of the master race of BB that are currently in the game.

Exactly, and as a cruiser main I must say that it is extremely difficult to actually support DDs unless the cap is littered with islands. Even the best detection among cruisers will still get outspotted by DDsor even CV and unlike shooting DDs everyone will focus fire you as if you have a big sign saying "Here are the citadel hits" as people will think they can devstrike you easily... I had games in my Cleveland and Seattle where even heavy cruisers fire AP at me just because I'm "light cruiser" not caring that I have 25mm armor. I mean I don't complain because I don't take damage but shooting cruisers for everyone is the exact opposite of shooting DDs, where everyone focus.

It is not necessary to actually do damage to the DD to force it to retreat. By having a radar cruiser around the cap that cruiser can zone out the caps for the DD while remaining a safe distance away. And once a DD is spotted just looking at it and firing shells in its direction will cause it to panic and run. (In most cases)

[CHEFT]
Players
12,416 posts
9,841 battles
1 hour ago, Beastofwar said:

In games without CV these lamentable players try to dominate their will upon DD players of course. Without them they are blind as a bat and think the DD should care about that when they are not supporting the DD against enemy DD and enemy DD supporting Cruisers anyway.  :Smile_facepalm:

Well, im for removal of spotting from CVs, and im not blind if i dont have a DD. :cap_yes:

And a DD, that has backup, who refuses to spot a DD without backup is still a noob...

• Cool 1