Server Restart - 30 October, 05:00 UTC Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MadBadDave

T8 US BB

36 comments in this topic

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

I’ve had the T8 prem US BB Alabama for a while and tbh regretted getting her, these days she only sees co-op battles.

I recently had chance to rent Massa, bloomin heck I can see why so many love the ship, it’s a lot of fun, and everything bama isn’t.  It’s got a shorter range but lands more hits than the slower more frustrating Bama shells.

Its because of the rental I decided to grind the tech tree, currently at Colorado which is as slow as a dead sloth but I actually like it, because it is so slow you don’t over extend, and when your shells connect she citadels for fun. 

So Is the NC essentially a Mix of Bama and Massa, and of the 3 which is the best ?.

Having Yammy I’m obviously looking forward to Iowa but find it frustrating that while copious amounts of Mickey Mouse (Fantasy toon ships) op Russian botes are thrust upon us that there is only one Iowa class available to us, unless WG puts Missouri back on general release. 

A new Belfast is out soon, so can we have a new Iowa class please that doesn’t squish when looked at.

Re BBs in general the Iowa class were and still are the very best BBs ever produced, yammy was the biggest and most powerful, the Germans probably the most feared and the brits made the last BB, and yet in game; you know exactly what I’m going to say !!. 

The Yammy and Kremlin’s armour profiles should be swapped, unless WG drops it’s claim that the game has “any” historical basis.

• Cool 1

Players
1,548 posts
7,182 battles

I have the NC (finished the grind a month ago) and the Massachusetts, and I played one game in a rental Alabama. With the NC you have to keep more distance from other ships, but you will enjoy the way better gunnery and longer range over the Massa. It was a so nice experience that I left my 19 pointer Halsey on her when moving to the Iowa. The Iowa is also surprisingly good. I was not impressed by the Alabama, as the gunnery lacked and there were no secondaries. The Massachusets is a blast, first in the fun department, but the NC has a place. I played them both in ranked sprint, with similar results.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
26,859 posts
14,396 battles
13 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

It’s got a shorter range but lands more hits than the slower more frustrating Bama shells.

Hint: The shells have the same speed and penetration. Bama is even more accurate.

I have the feeling you played Bama at a great distance and Massa forces you to get close and be useful...

• Cool 2

[SHAFT]
Players
9,877 posts
9,003 battles
11 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

So Is the NC essentially a Mix of Bama and Massa, and of the 3 which is the best ?.

No, NC and Alabama are pretty much the same with minor differences.

NC and Massa fulfill different roles, and both are very good in theirs. So imo you cant say, that one is superior to the other. Ive had good games in both, and also had games where i wished i would have been the other.

Massa is in a sense more unique, thus might be more fun, as there is no techtree equivalent.

16 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

Re BBs in general the Iowa class were and still are the very best BBs ever produced, yammy was the biggest and most powerful, the Germans probably the most feared and the brits made the last BB, and yet in game; you know exactly what I’m going to say !!. 

Meh, i dont agree with all this russian OP BB whine. Yes, they are kinda foolproof, but there are other BBs i prefer more. Bourgogne is much more flexible than Kremlin, and Yamato has overall the better guns thanks to overmatch. The 2 truely OP russian BBs are Pyotr and Sinop.

Players
125 posts
5,541 battles
43 minutes ago, MadBadDave said:

Having Yammy I’m obviously looking forward to Iowa but find it frustrating that while copious amounts of Mickey Mouse (Fantasy toon ships) op Russian botes are thrust upon us that there is only one Iowa class available to us, unless WG puts Missouri back on general release. 

Of the three I only have Massachussets, and only recently. But she is as awesome as her reputation.

Georgia is an Iowa class. I think.

• Cool 1

[GJE]
Players
242 posts
3,572 battles
4 minutes ago, PsychoClownfish said:

Of the three I only have Massachussets, and only recently. But she is as awesome as her reputation.

Georgia is an Iowa class. I think.

Nope. Georgia is from 'fantasy' category :) 

Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin and New Jersey - these are Iowa class BBs. 

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
247 posts
9,454 battles
1 hour ago, MadBadDave said:

Re BBs in general the Iowa class were and still are the very best BBs ever produced

Too bad she is one the worst T9 BBs now...

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
2 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Hint: The shells have the same speed and penetration. Bama is even more accurate.

I have the feeling you played Bama at a great distance and Massa forces you to get close and be useful...

Totally agree, Massa makes you get in close thanks to the range and secondaries, Bama is just so boring, even if you’re  not up tiered the pathetic secondary range sees you against several brilliant secondary ships, it’s amazing that the same class of ship is totally different in game.

Players
1 post
498 battles

I got the Alabama recently and I'm honestly loving it. I find it's quite accurate, but then again, I'm used to German BB accuracy :D

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,264 posts
24,223 battles

Well, from the high tiers, there is Iowa and Yamato in Pacific, and in Atlantic Bismark, Vanguard and Jean Bart (unfinished). The rest is fantasy. 

[BODEM]
Players
785 posts
6,959 battles

NC is after Roma and Massa still my fave BB on tier 8 and it is still one of my best game experiences in WoWs. She has good guns that fire super heavy shells dealing lots of dmg. Her AA isn't bad either. But what I find most rewarding is her tanking capability. Angle her correctly and she can take boatloads of shells without taking severe or any dmg. If you want a BB that can push, she is it. Maybe the environment ain't the same anymore as when I grinded the line, but I reckon she can still shine. The only thing you never ever do with NC is showing your broadside. No BB broadside catches as many pain and cits as hers.

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
3,168 posts
10,741 battles
2 hours ago, jimba22 said:

I got the Alabama recently and I'm honestly loving it. I find it's quite accurate, but then again, I'm used to German BB accuracy :D

+ 1

Bama is awesome.

Massa in other hand... meh, it fails to impress me and brings nothing new for whom plays German BBs.

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
22 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

+ 1

Bama is awesome.

Massa in other hand... meh, it fails to impress me and brings nothing new for whom plays German BBs.

I'm a German main in game, but do like US BB''s historically.

Playing the game German BB's are a lot of fun, which is why GK was my furst :Smile_unsure: T10 BB, followed by Yammy, 

I've had Bama for about a year, I had Massa for 3 days and would swap in a heart beat, prior to the rental and being a German main I've always slated the Massa as a one trick pony, especially after a brawling contest between my Bismarck and a Massa saw the Massa annihilated,  the Rental totally changed that perspective,  btw I now have NC, with zero upgrades and that too already seems to be better than Bama.

I've known that Bama's been powercrept to hell for a while but it's even more noticeable when you play Massa and NC, e.g I've always thought that Bama had the best torp protection and AA, but in the last week that's very much now changed, even my basic NC seems to knock planes down better.

• Cool 1

Players
3,329 posts

Not played my Alabama for ages, i must make amends, that said I did rather enjoy my monarch, and I watch a vid the other night, must be an old one where Flamu rated the Lion as better than the Missouri at tier 9, I think the Brit BB's are growing on me:Smile_veryhappy:

I love the Nelson and at first hated that (now that and the Sinop are me go to tier 7 ships) but oddly enough though I cannot feel the same way for the Lenin, which I guess is pretty much the same sort of thing:Smile_sad:

[L4GG]
Players
3,168 posts
10,741 battles

@MadBadDave

Same here, most probably GK will be my first t10 BB

Bama.

It was in a rental just a couple of months ago, i didn't thought much about it at first, i tried it without expecting much with a let's try this old tub mentality... and of all the ships i tested was the only one that remained in the back of my mind.

German BBs are the best ones, they are fun but sometimes they can be very tiring and after a frustrating session with Gneisenau... and after a couple of game where shots were fired and they went ahead and behind the target ... that's it i went back and bought one  for myself.

I kick myself to this day for not buying Bama much sooner, my only regret.

I'm having a blast building up Bama.

I love it, and it's not for the torp protection, it's a versatile ship, with better and bigger guns than the 380's and can be as tough as the Germans.

Bama can be more accurate and hit harder.

I look at Massa and it has the same flaws as the Germans , i'm not saying i'll pass, i'm just saying not yet, i don't know when, i only know it will not be now.

@Inappropriate_noob

I already said this before.

Lenin it's a stupid ship.

In the same trial i tried Bama, i did a game with Lenin and i did 140 k just for pressing W...

• Cool 1

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts

Update;  I now have the fully upgraded B hull for NC and have changed my opinion yet again, it’s a beast.

When I had Bismarck I never felt secure and hated being bottom Tier, Tirps Torps gives that ship more grunt, N.C is like something else, who needs 11km secondaries when you can blap a Alsace, Bismarck, Tirp or Massa at 15>km 😉.

Secondaries and Torp protection is poor, kiting and angling works well, and AA makes it a no fly zone (on par with my Halland).   Massa is now just a brief memory.  

Best T8 US BB (not including new ones).

1- NC

2 - Massa 

3 - Bama

And I haven’t even tried HE yet (36% chance, with high pen). 

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
2,607 posts
11,651 battles

The Alabama is worse than the north cal now the tech tree has a buffer heal.

Massa has a fast reload heal and secondaries for slightly wonkier gunnery. 
I do wish they would give the Alabama and Arizona the 0.66% heal they gave tech tree ships to make them relevant again.

[S-O-M]
Players
657 posts
40 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

The Alabama is worse than the north cal now the tech tree has a buffer heal.

Massa has a fast reload heal and secondaries for slightly wonkier gunnery. 
I do wish they would give the Alabama and Arizona the 0.66% heal they gave tech tree ships to make them relevant again.

Bama so badly needs a major buff, it’s so far behind the other 2 it’s not worth a second look, Grind and get the best one imho (NC) or want a premium get Massa, there is no point to Alabama any more and even the sports like handling and Torp protection given that She sees very few DDs thanks to the US BB play style, what use is that. 

As highlighted by how many times my NCs been torpedoed, the same amount of famous Russian naval battles.

Sadly Bama is the only ship I’ve ever regretted buying.

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts

Well... if you're thinking of buying Massa for the secondary guns. Hmm... you might as well pay the extra £18 and get the Pommern at T9 instead while it's still on sale.

Oh.. and it has torps for close up battles unlike Massa.

Massa suffers when it gets uptiered because of it's shortish gun range and weak side armour cit. Plus it burns easy! And at T9 with cruisers that can out-range a massa with main guns. Massa suffers bad when uptiered. Pommern can deal with any tier. For the sake of £18 difference between Pommern and Massa - the first is by far the better buy and worth paying that bit extra. if you like Massa secondary guns... then you love Pommerns

Players
8,196 posts
9,087 battles
10 minutes ago, MRGTB said:

Well... if you're thinking of buying Massa for the secondary guns. Hmm... you might as well pay the extra £18 and get the Pommern at T9 instead while it's still on sale.

Oh.. and it has torps for close up battles unlike Massa.

Massa suffers when it gets uptiered because of it's shortish gun range and weak side armour cit. Plus it burns easy! And at T9 with cruisers that can out-range a massa with main guns. Massa suffers bad when uptiered. Pommern can deal with any tier. For the sake of £18 difference between Pommern and Massa - the first is by far the better buy and worth paying that bit extra. if you like Massa secondary guns... then you love Pommerns

Mass tier for tier is better than Pommern. It is good enough close up to be among the better brawlers, while not being entire crap beyond that range. Pommern with 1.5 sigma on 380s is a bit of a joke against T9 cruisers compared to Massa with 406s.

[DEFR]
[DEFR]
Players
1,266 posts

The dispersion on Massa guns at range is not that good. And lets not forget, you mention the sigma value but Pommern is shooting 12 guns and not 9.

Bit like Lion and Conq. Both same dispersion - but Conq is far better because it shoots 12 guns and not 9 like Lion

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,570 battles

Going by ( for me standard ) full secondary builds Massa stands out with an enormous high WR, Bama is far behind ( fair but non exceptional WR ) and NC really has a low WR.

It seems Massa is far superior in breaking through mid-match weakened flanks and destroying fleeing remnants, if need be all alone. The manual secondaries can handle dispatching visible DD quick. Long ranged IFHE secondaries are key in chipping away fleeing ( and fire throwing ) cruisers HP between main gun salvo's untill they are destroyed. Those fleeing remnants often head toward a CV that starts sending waves of planes at you as well. Massa can handle that too.

The other two fail at their quite noticable shorter secondaries range and can only use main guns to kill fire flinging cruisers......the result are poor, indicating they are probably just mere long range camper ships although they look very similar in appearance. And i hate camping in the back of maps.....

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,853 posts
5,332 battles

To be entirely fair to NC she is one of the oldest BB's in the game, so she has a very large sample size..

[L4GG]
Players
3,168 posts
10,741 battles

Using BBs to target cruisers it's  underusing BBs .

BBs should be the counter for other BBs, Main guns are more reliable than secondaries, either way one can take substantial damage when brawling.

Massa can have more sustainability in intense fight but it lacks sustainability in the long run, simply because it can run out of heals faster.

Secondaries are nice but they aren't the all thing.