Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Gnolfus

Puerto Rico error 404 citadel not found

39 comments in this topic

[CATCH]
Players
76 posts
2,796 battles

So I just had someone sail broadside to me at 10-12km the entire [edited]match in a Whalerto Riggedo. I was in the Moskva, a CA with supposedly good AP pen.

I chucked AP at his broadside volley after volley. 1-2 pens, a lot of non pens and richochets (at a nearly flat broadside) every volley. The genious in the ship chucked HE for 10 minutes until he found the 2 button.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in this game. What the actual [edited]? Non pens at 10km? He played like a deep fried potato and was rewarded for it.

• Boring 1

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
1,984 posts
12,205 battles
Just now, Gnolfus said:

So I just had someone sail broadside at 10-12km the entire [edited]match in a Whalerto Riggedo. I was in the Moskva, a CA with supposedly good AP pen.

I chucked AP at his broadside volley after volley. 1-2 pens, a lot of non pens and richochets (at a nearly flat broadside). The genious in the ship chucked HE for 10 minutes until he found the 2 button.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in this game. What the actual [edited]?

Her Citadel is below waterline ever since. Questionable ofc but nothing new. 

• Cool 3

[CATCH]
Players
76 posts
2,796 battles
2 minutes ago, Wizard27_1979 said:

Her Citadel is below waterline ever since. Questionable ofc but nothing new. 

Yeah I am not even talking about citadels. I am talking about non-pens from another CA at 10km. This is beyond ridicilous. In hindsight the thread title is a bit misleading. I unfortunately do not have replays enabled but that match left me absolutely dumbstruck.

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
1,984 posts
12,205 battles
1 minute ago, Gnolfus said:

Yeah I am not even talking about citadels. I am talking about non-pens from another CA at 10km. This is beyond ridicilous.

Ok, then title "404 citadel not found" misled me ^^

[CATCH]
Players
76 posts
2,796 battles
Just now, ColonelPete said:

Why did you not increase the range when he did that the whole match?

Can you read?

[CATS]
Players
26,667 posts
14,305 battles
Just now, Gnolfus said:

Can you read?

Yes, you wrote about 10-12km whole match. Why did you not change that?

[CATCH]
Players
76 posts
2,796 battles

Yes, you wrote about 10-12km whole match. Why did you not change that?

Are you being dense on purpose? I wrote non-pens at 10km. Explain to me how increasing the range thus decreasing the pen value will help with that? Every single other cruiser in the game would've been dead in a minute doing what he did relative to my position.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,553 posts
20,086 battles
12 minutes ago, Gnolfus said:

So I just had someone sail broadside to me at 10-12km the entire [edited]match in a Whalerto Riggedo. I was in the Moskva, a CA with supposedly good AP pen.

I chucked AP at his broadside volley after volley. 1-2 pens, a lot of non pens and richochets (at a nearly flat broadside) every volley. The genious in the ship chucked HE for 10 minutes until he found the 2 button.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in this game. What the actual [edited]? Non pens at 10km? He played like a deep fried potato and was rewarded for it.

Well that's the idea of the ship, everything but the armor scheme is a bit meh. But when you go in you can face tank the enemy and come out smelling like roses.

[PISH]
Players
370 posts
3,071 battles

There is a 114mm plating that's actually at the bottom of the casemate armor right above the 19mm citadel roof. 

[CATS]
Players
26,667 posts
14,305 battles
3 minutes ago, Gnolfus said:

Are you being dense on purpose? I wrote non-pens at 10km. Explain to me how increasing the range thus decreasing the pen value will help with that? Every single other cruiser in the game would've been dead in a minute doing what he did relative to my position.

You also wrote about pens and wanting to get the underwater citadel.

Moskwas shell arcs are flat. You cannot hit the underwater citadel with flat arcs from that distance.

• Cool 1

[CATCH]
Players
76 posts
2,796 battles

Moskwas shell arcs are flat. You cannot hit the underwater citadel with flat arcs from that distance.

Apparently you cannot [edited]penetrate the belt armor of the thing either so this solves nothing.

[CATS]
Players
26,667 posts
14,305 battles
1 minute ago, Gnolfus said:

Apparently you cannot [edited]penetrate the belt armor of the thing either so this solves nothing.

You did not even try.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,487 battles
34 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Is that so ?

I always wondered with what to shoot the Lexington in Narai. And where the hell to aim.

AP does not seem to do any more damage then HE even when aiming at the waterline and you are pretty pressured handeling it with ( Cruiser ) guns alone ( some Cruisers do not have torpedo's ) even at the shortest ranges before it escapes.

Now the Lexington seems to have a submerged citadel too. And when i had a "revaltation" trying shooting slightly under the waterline with AP ( hitting the water ) i got citadels !

I am no expert on the matter, but it seems possible to shoot at a layer of water ( just under the waterline ) and still penetrate a citadel under water ? Maybe range matters a lot, but it is still valuable for close range AP broadsides with the likes of Pommern would this be the case.

[CATS]
Players
26,667 posts
14,305 battles
1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

I am no expert on the matter, but it seems possible to shoot at a layer of water and still penetrate a citadel under water ?

It is. But that is also easier when your shells arc more, otherwise the area where you have to hit is too small.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
13,487 battles
1 minute ago, ColonelPete said:

It is. But that is also easier when your shells arc more, otherwise the area where you have to hit is too small.

Plunging fire ? Is that going in via water, side armour or (multiple) deck(s) ?

[SHAFT]
Players
9,797 posts
8,977 battles
56 minutes ago, Gnolfus said:

1-2 pens, a lot of non pens and richochets (at a nearly flat broadside) every volley.

Replay please.

[CATS]
Players
26,667 posts
14,305 battles
2 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Plunging fire ? Is that going in via water, side armour or (multiple) deck(s) ?

I would not call it plunging fire yet. You go through the side armor or in rare cases below the side armor.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Players
608 posts
11,920 battles
1 hour ago, Gnolfus said:

I unfortunately do not have replays enabled

Don't worry, they're enabled by default! Now between you and your enlightment through us is only limited by your non-laziness.

• Cool 2

Players
279 posts
5,243 battles

To add to this: I am semi-decent in BBs and have blapped many a cruiser. For the life of me, I can never citadel an Alaska (I presume the Payto is similar). Not only that, most shots are over pens, regardless of range. Only when they angle a bit, can I get some good pens in. It's maddening. Alaska and Smolensk are the only ships where I have that problem, but even then, I have blapped Smolensks but never an Alaska. Did I mention it's maddening?

Players
10,017 posts
11,798 battles
1 hour ago, Gnolfus said:

Imagine 250mm main belt actually doing its thing:cap_yes:  Alternatively stop sprinkling her turrets

Beta Tester
2,103 posts
11,913 battles

Let us be honest, folks, Alaska and Puerto Rico do have a fascinating armor, that can be absolutely trollish.

I dont play both too much, but I have these weird hits and penetrations every second game and chat is irritated.

Reasons already were told above, the citadel is almost impossilble to hit from medium to close distances. Can be hit at long range coming down in a steep angle.

So, yes, i got citadelled, but not more than 4 or 5 times.

There is a nice Video made by Yuro, where he explains this hidden 114 mm belt above the citadel very nicely. 

In case somebody does not know it ...:

Two great ships, Alaska and Puerto Rico and its a bit sad, PR has this bad image ... :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 3

Players
8,162 posts
9,009 battles
2 hours ago, Gnolfus said:

The genious in the ship chucked HE for 10 minutes until he found the 2 button.

Where you showing him your side?

If no, firing HE that pens your 50 mm deck is basically better than trying to throw AP that doesn't overmatch your ship.

If yes, you wouldn't be exactly in a position to criticise others for their gameplay.

Players
2,110 posts
21,506 battles
1 hour ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

To add to this: I am semi-decent in BBs and have blapped many a cruiser. For the life of me, I can never citadel an Alaska (I presume the Payto is similar). Not only that, most shots are over pens, regardless of range. Only when they angle a bit, can I get some good pens in. It's maddening. Alaska and Smolensk are the only ships where I have that problem, but even then, I have blapped Smolensks but never an Alaska. Did I mention it's maddening?

I blapped an Alaska from 100% to 0 in a US BB from 15 km. At range your shells arc down into his citadel. If you are closer you just go for pens on upper belt or punch through his nose.

Players
1,695 posts
18,544 battles

The armour on the Pay to Rico as well as the Alaska can be pretty effective you cannot expect to get the standard damage from your AP their belt armour is just that good, and that's before we get onto the topic of Schroeder's citadel.

Sign in to follow this