You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gopher31

Stalingrad Vs Slava

30 comments in this topic

[SHAD]
Players
3,605 posts
14,649 battles

Hi All,

I'm close to having enough steel to buy the Stalingrad but the Slava looks like it  be better.

According to Proships.ru, the Slava is close to as accurate as the Stalingrad. 

It of course has much better alpha and penetration.

I would be able to get the Slava in a few months.

I play ranked but not clan battles.

So my question is, if the play styles are similar (long range, punishing broadsides) Is it still worth buying the Stalingrad? 

[OCTO]
Players
1,247 posts
29,647 battles
2 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

Hi All,

I'm close to having enough steel to buy the Stalingrad but the Slava looks like it  be better.

According to Proships.ru, the Slava is close to as accurate as the Stalingrad. 

It of course has much better alpha and penetration.

I would be able to get the Slava in a few months.

I play ranked but not clan battles.

So my question is, if the play styles are similar (long range, punishing broadsides) Is it still worth buying the Stalingrad? 

IMHO, Slava is too situational. If the enemy is not dumb, you are useless.... Stalin can tank, Slava can't

Players
2,791 posts
33,322 battles

You can use Stalingrad in clan battles (if you do CBs). If not, Stalingrad is still more mobile and has radar in addition to deleting broadside ships. 

It is also a matter of like. Do you like playing cruiser or BB more? That will be your deciding factor.

[SHAD]
Players
3,605 posts
14,649 battles
Just now, Execute0rder66 said:

You can use Stalingrad in clan battles (if you do CBs). If not, Stalingrad is still more mobile and has radar in addition to deleting broadside ships. 

It is also a matter of like. Do you like playing cruiser or BB more? That will be your deciding factor.

I prefer Cruisers more, though I know the Stalingrad is  not a typical cruiser.

Moskva is still my second most played ship though I haven't played it for months.

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,973 posts
13,611 battles

Slava can blap 40k across the map, Stalin can only blap for 30k, but a lot tankier despite being a cruiser. 

I hope i helped :cap_book:

Players
2,791 posts
33,322 battles
22 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

Moskva is still my second most played ship though I haven't played it for months.

If you like Moskva, Stalin has similar play style. There are differences of course, imo, Moskva-Stalin is similar to i.e. Yoshino-Zao play style.

Slava seems nice as i don't have it either but from the people who own it i heard it lacks the same punishing salvos to bow in ships. I'll definitely get Slava but if i didn't have Stalingrad, i would get her first. It's been available for steel for a very long time, like two years now? Probably it will be one of the first ships to be removed as well. But if i didn't have Stalingrad and Bourgogne (but have both), i would get Bourgogne first :Smile_trollface:

[CHEFT]
Players
12,569 posts
9,841 battles
38 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

Do you have Bourgogne? Bourgogne is closer to cruiser playstyle. Stalingrad is more BB playstyle :Smile_trollface:

46 minutes ago, Zen71_sniper said:

If the enemy is not dumb, you are useless.

Same for Stalingrad (maybe even more?).

By now, everyone knows how to play against it. They just point bow towards you, and shoot you because they hate you. AP is only good if the ship is not angled, and HE DPM is horrible.

[ZEN]
Players
1,425 posts
14,723 battles
48 minutes ago, gopher31 said:

Funny thing is that Slava out spots Stalingrad... Stalingrad is tanky even up close when bow in and gets punished when it shows side, Slava has to stay at the back and snipe (this is what the ship was designed to do) hence why it has a very short shell travel time ridiculous accuracy and the highest AA stats in the game it will punish all broadsides across the map as long as you can aim, mind you Stalingrad is perfectly capable of citadeling BBs at 20km also so not much difference in that regard.

Both ships are AP focused but Stalin will play more like you Moskva than the Slava will, but if the enemy angles to you the Stalin can struggle doing damage as the HE is bad, where as the Slava with it's longer range can find broadsides to punish on the opposite flank.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,253 posts
30,162 battles

They are not for same resource or the same class of the ship, so not sure why you only can get one of them. Both are good ship, but if I have to compare them, I would say that SG is better overall.

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
8 minutes ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

mind you Stalingrad is perfectly capable of citadeling BBs at 20km also so not much difference in that regard.

Just that Slava can citadel pretty much most BBs it runs into consistently at 20 km, Stalingrad cannot. Stalingrad at 20 km has after all like 400 mm of penetration, so even if you don't consider angle of impact, most T10 BBs have enough main belt to just straight up shatter that shell. Slava has around 580 mm of penetration, which has no such issues.

[ZEN]
Players
1,425 posts
14,723 battles
7 minutes ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Just that Slava can citadel pretty much most BBs it runs into consistently at 20 km, Stalingrad cannot. Stalingrad at 20 km has after all like 400 mm of penetration, so even if you don't consider angle of impact, most T10 BBs have enough main belt to just straight up shatter that shell. Slava has around 580 mm of penetration, which has no such issues.

Well I only mentioned Stalingrad can do it cause mine did manage to citadel a Ohio at 21km in CBs once, of course the Slava is still better at it.

Players
2,791 posts
33,322 battles
12 minutes ago, fumtu said:

They are not for same resource or the same class of the ship, so not sure why you only can get one of them. Both are good ship, but if I have to compare them, I would say that SG is better overall.

Probably he can get one now with the coupon.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 minute ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

Well I only mentioned Stalingrad can do it cause mine did manage to citadel a Ohio at 21km in CBs once, of course the Slava is still better at it.

Yeah, but that is pretty inconsistent. Kinda like...

shot-20_08.25_23_05.56-0449.thumb.jpg.2dce3f895b876bb030a32496c226442e.jpg

Wouldn't claim that Vanguard citadels GKs consistently either.

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,253 posts
30,162 battles
2 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Probably he can get one now with the coupon.

Slava is for RP, coupon don't work for those ships

[SHAD]
Players
3,605 posts
14,649 battles

I'm creating a choice as I'd rather not have two ships with similar playstyles.

I think I'm wrong with that though, sounds like the playstyles are different.

I'm not interested in Shikishima or Bourgogne as I have Yamato and Jean Bart. 

I suppose Stalingrad will be better at punishing cruisers at all ranges with it's low threshold, short fuse and better ricochet angles.

I'll probably end up getting Stalingrad unless something better appears in the armory.

Then I'll take my time and get the Slava eventually.

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles

What about Champagne?

I heard it can be boring, sniping, not able to commit, and so on...

Isn't Slava ended to follow the same philosophy?

Beta Tester
3,583 posts
16,379 battles

I don't understand the OP. 

Stalingrad is for Steel, Slava for RB Points. 

How is there a choice between them? 

Just a few points on the question:

Stalingrad 

Has improved AP angles and great bow-tanking potential

Slava

Extremely good vertical dispersion and penetrating power let you blap BBs across the map, actually has forgiving citadel armor

Of course there is more to these ships, not writing a review here... 

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
24 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

What about Champagne?

I heard it can be boring, sniping, not able to commit, and so on...

Isn't Slava ended to follow the same philosophy?

Champagne is T8, Slava T10, so Slava gets a few extras or gets a few things fixed. While Champagne is the most insane glass cannon that really can just be ended by anything, the Slava at least amidships has good armour, the AA is actually decent and the bow and stern are 25 mm, but there is some armour to prevent cits through them. Overall, Slava still is not a pushing BB, but it is a good bit less gimped in survivability than the Champagne to make up for the tier. That and 3 more shells, kinda.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,583 posts
16,379 battles

That's the thing :

Slava is actually more forgiving than Stalingrad.

People have a really hard time to citadel you even when you're broadside, unless they're close to you. That means it is much easier to turn your ship around. 

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
8 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

That's the thing :

People have a really hard time to citadel you even when you're broadside, unless they're close to you. That means it is much easier to turn your ship around. 

I think Slava also has better concealment for that.

[TC1S]
Players
2,655 posts
13,834 battles
11 hours ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

That's the thing :

That, and also the fact that in order to be useful with your radar, you'll need to close the distance, while slava can just sit at the border, which will make you vulnerable to both combined firepower, and especially glorious AP bombs, of which there are two lines now. You can fix that by just not being in a radar position for a large part of the game (certainly early on), but that of course has its own consequences.

[SHAD]
Players
3,605 posts
14,649 battles
16 minutes ago, Saiyko said:

That, and also the fact that in order to be useful with your radar, you'll need to close the distance, while slava can just sit at the border, which will make you vulnerable to both combined firepower, and especially glorious AP bombs, of which there are two lines now. You can fix that by just not being in a radar position for a large part of the game (certainly early on), but that of course has its own consequences.

Yes, I remember that from the Moskva.

I would often sit in a bow tank position but as soon as the CV rework came, my AA became ineffective against all CVs.

Even tier 8 CVs can nail a stationary Moskva again and again.

Those German AP rockets weren't around back then!

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,688 posts
26,580 battles
17 hours ago, Zen71_sniper said:

IMHO, Slava is too situational. If the enemy is not dumb, you are useless.... Stalin can tank, Slava can't

More, Stalin is not really a cruiser, but takes the slot of a cruiser, and can tank, while Slava is not truly a BB (can not tank) but takes the slot of a BB.