Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Chysagon

Question for Erich Loewenhardt carrier owners.

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

WoWs Wiki Team, Supertester, Privateer
2,076 posts
13,438 battles

I recommend Youtube-Videos of her by Toptier and NoZoupForYou, should answer your questions.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
109 posts

In my opinion? She is fun if you know what you're doing but she cannot ( I repeat: CANNOT) carry games. If your team consists of drooling imbeciles there's nothing you can do about it. 
Her rockets are great if you can catch a cruisers broad and it does ''acceptable'' damage against a BB's superstructure.
Her bombs are stronger than Midway's (on paper) and any DD who's unlucky to eat even one loses 3-4k easily. They also have an absurd fire% at or around 68%
Her torpedos are a joke and only slow BBs or cruisers with no reaction time should get hit by it. And if a DD gets hit by even one while having complete freedom of movement then it's a testimony to their incompetence.

Don't get me wrong, she's good and you can and will have good games with her. But since she has a low plane reverse + her planes being squishy you WILL get punished if you disrespect AA blobs/eat flak puffs. If you want to play a t6 carrier that badly, save yourself the money and get a tech tree one instead. Ranger is the most beginner friendly of the bunch in my opinion, followed by REEEEEEEEEEEE-yujo 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
461 posts
6,226 battles

Ryujo is stronger, Ranger more reliable, Ark Royal the better premium and Furios is Furios.

 

El is okay but the weakest T6 CV. Torps lack the damage output and you have little to nothing against DDs. Due to this, she only has little carry potential, even less when uptiered. I play her for the double in divisions mostly to compensate.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
3,572 posts
16,340 battles

"The first thing that would catch the player's eye would be the massive 12 200 alpha for the HE bombs, and when compared to even Midway's HE bombs, Erich Loewenhardt's HE bombs outperform Midway's in damage, penetration and fire chance."

 

How amazing is that - they are just comparing the individual bombs, but fail to adress that Midway drops 3 times more of them...

 

Conensus between good CV players is that E. Lowenhardt is weak btw.

 

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,615 posts

Well she is nothing special and bombs fall somehow slowly so I am still getting used to that for dropping DDs, she earns decent cash though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
4,532 posts
18,814 battles
6 minutes ago, __Helmut_Kohl__ said:

Conensus between good CV players is that E. Lowenhardt is weak btw.

A different beast to the other Tier VIs, which is interesting to play. And I prefer it to Weser. 

 

Having played a lot of Tier VI CVs in Operations I can tell you that... overall I do less damage in the E.L. than in other CVs but that I tend to win more often, especially in the dreaded Newport. E.L.'s ability to hit cruisers for 33-50% of their HP in one pass is not to be sniffed at, and her HE bombs are very effective against DDs - although they take a lot of practice to master. I find the CV will struggle a little against Battleships as the torpedoes are slow and don't set floods as often as a player would want. But if you concentrate on her strengths, you free other players up to attack the BB, so that's all good. You do need to respect AA blobs and shorten your squadrons to keep planes available, but again, that's good discipline. I've enjoyed playing it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

Weser's planes are far better at destroying enemy ships. There is no substitute for accurate AP bombers that can blow up Cruisers and BB alike. It is the choice for random matches.

 

E.Lowenhardts HE bombs are a serious downgrade to that, and on top of that they share G.Zeppelin's wonky bomb drop pattern = they fall in an X pattern ( the bombs will go wide after falling halfway maximum dropping altitude ) so you have to attack broadside ( making both wide falling bombs hit ) or release low so the bombs hit in the middle of X. Both ways are difficult to perform reliably. Wesers bombs will fall in line ( dropping high ) when overflying ships in lenght which is a far easier hit mechanic hitting almost every pass.

 

But there is a catch : if you intend to use it for Operations E Lowenhardt can do things the Weser and other CV can too but to lesser effect  : agressively act as a Cruiser ( on an autopilot course ) while you operate your planes. With 5 x 105 mm and 8 x 150 mm ( to each side (!) it is incredibly well armed with guns that can reach out to 7.2 km ( taking AFT ) which is exceptional at Tier VI. It has 19 mm plating ( bounces up to 254 mm AP at angle ) all around and a fully submerged citadel.

 

The fun thing is due to it's high HP pool bots do not prefer to shoot at it when lower HP team mates ships are visible also. The 150 mm secondaries will also kill forts ( but obviously at a  slow rate since they are 150 mm HE ) if the allied BB let you down doing that.

 

 

wows 115.jpg

 

The pre set course. Full ahead, no stopping or slowing down.

 

wows 116.jpg

 

Arriving first at the merchants killing a few by secondary shelling. It is no problem if the autopilots rams them either, you will easily survive it. A few port installations will be demolished too. All fully automatic.The strange thing is bots will prefer to shoot at lower HP visible allies. The minor damage on the ship is from forts.

 

wows 117.jpg

 

You can even be so bold to attack the most dangerous port ( stationary ) ship with secondary shelling. Note that the damage leaped up 50k ( mainly from damaging Merchants with secondaries ) from previous screen.

 

And the most ideal situation is you put Gunther Lutjens in it, so the CV will heal its lost HP from agressive close quarters combat from time to time. ( in the pictures it was only a 7 point captain in training without secondary battery bonusses or that specific heal talent )

 

In other words : that perticular CV is made to fight with it's guns and it's planes. Not only it's planes as then it is lacking. Just like it's higher tier Premium cousin in certain modes ( ranked 1 vs 1 comes to mind )

 

It seems the planes are weaker because the guns are stronger. Problem is random mode is not friendly to such set up ships, as you obviously cannot use it as a Cruiser in the face of a mass focussing wall of enemies.  But you arguably can take caps from low HP DD and Cruisers late match. Most CV that have a secondary battery can, but the Premium German ones can do it with far more weight of shot.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
550 posts

Rockets depend on incompetent cruisers being available in numbers, torps would look bad on a hypothetical T2 CV, bombs are nice but their damage can be healed unlike Ryujo AP cits. All planes have high-ish speed, low health; secondaries are okay, but in the end a non factor against anything but T5 and T6 DDs.

 

Overall okay in randoms but worse than Ryujo, utterly useless in controlled environments like Clan Battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,913 posts
3 hours ago, Wizard27_1979 said:

I recommend Youtube-Videos of her by Toptier and NoZoupForYou, should answer your questions.

NoZoupForYou usually have no clue what he is saying or doing tho. Most of the time he just spits out random crap to create drama. He is like the Kardashians of WOWS. Going there for advice is a horrible idea. Entertainment? Yeah sure. Advice? Hell no! 

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
6,697 posts
15,193 battles

FWIW this is the Daily Bounce on the subject: https://thedailybounce.net/world-of-warships/final-review-german-tier-vi-premium-aircraft-carrier-erich-loewenhardt/

 

I more or less bought mine entirely for Ops (I'm too much of a liability to my team to play any CV against real people) and the above review seems there or thereabouts:

  • Rocket planes great fun if there are cruisers to broadside.
  • Dropping HE bombs on things is fun, and the fire chance is excellent (oddly, these are your fastest planes too).
  • Torps are bloody awful, with essentially no redeeming features; only use if you've run out of the others.
  • Stukas!
  • Secondaries are - alas - a bit meh, so no hilarious GZ-stylee charging the enemy and engaging in manly secondary combat.
  • It is a premium though, so you get all the associated advantages of that.

My feeling is that - for Ops anyway - the US/IJN silver ships are better, and if you are going to buy just one premium, Ark Royal is better; however, she is fun, and sufficiently different to the alternatives to be interesting. If WG ever feel the urge to give the torps a bit of help (a boosted flood chance would be enough) she'd be excellent. All strictly IMO, of course..

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:
  • Secondaries are - alas - a bit meh, so no hilarious GZ-stylee charging the enemy and engaging in manly secondary combat.

 

You do know it packs comparible secondary battery weight of broadside as Bismarck and Tirpitz don't you ? Bit meh ?

 

They can go up to 7.2 km too when skilled into in tier VI ! On such CV that is not a waste of points. ( Consealment = meh Sight stabilisation = meh )

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,373 posts
24,095 battles
6 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

Weser's planes are far better at destroying enemy ships. There is no substitute for accurate AP bombers that can blow up Cruisers and BB alike. It is the choice for random matches.

 

E.Lowenhardts HE bombs are a serious downgrade to that, and on top of that they share G.Zeppelin's wonky bomb drop pattern = they fall in an X pattern ( the bombs will go wide after falling halfway maximum dropping altitude ) so you have to attack broadside ( making both wide falling bombs hit ) or release low so the bombs hit in the middle of X. Both ways are difficult to perform reliably. Wesers bombs will fall in line ( dropping high ) when overflying ships in lenght which is a far easier hit mechanic hitting almost every pass.

 

But there is a catch : if you intend to use it for Operations E Lowenhardt can do things the Weser and other CV can too but to lesser effect  : agressively act as a Cruiser ( on an autopilot course ) while you operate your planes. With 5 x 105 mm and 8 x 150 mm ( to each side (!) it is incredibly well armed with guns that can reach out to 7.2 km ( taking AFT ) which is exceptional at Tier VI. It has 19 mm plating ( bounces up to 254 mm AP at angle ) all around and a fully submerged citadel.

 

The fun thing is due to it's high HP pool bots do not prefer to shoot at it when lower HP team mates ships are visible also. The 150 mm secondaries will also kill forts ( but obviously at a  slow rate since they are 150 mm HE ) if the allied BB let you down doing that.

 

The pre set course. Full ahead, no stopping or slowing down.

 

Arriving first at the merchants killing a few by secondary shelling. It is no problem if the autopilots rams them either, you will easily survive it. A few port installations will be demolished too. All fully automatic.The strange thing is bots will prefer to shoot at lower HP visible allies. The minor damage on the ship is from forts.

 

You can even be so bold to attack the most dangerous port ( stationary ) ship with secondary shelling. Note that the damage leaped up 50k ( mainly from damaging Merchants with secondaries ) from previous screen.

 

And the most ideal situation is you put Gunther Lutjens in it, so the CV will heal its lost HP from agressive close quarters combat from time to time. ( in the pictures it was only a 7 point captain in training without secondary battery bonusses or that specific heal talent )

 

In other words : that perticular CV is made to fight with it's guns and it's planes. Not only it's planes as then it is lacking. Just like it's higher tier Premium cousin in certain modes ( ranked 1 vs 1 comes to mind )

 

It seems the planes are weaker because the guns are stronger. Problem is random mode is not friendly to such set up ships, as you obviously cannot use it as a Cruiser in the face of a mass focussing wall of enemies.  But you arguably can take caps from low HP DD and Cruisers late match. Most CV that have a secondary battery can, but the Premium German ones can do it with far more weight of shot.

After rework I'm CV in Operations only so as Erich Loewenhardt is TVI I bought her. She is for sure different from Ark, Ryujo, Furious, Ranger and Weser and I feel that her uniqness should be used.

 

I tried your tactic and it works in 100% although I think it should be possible to upgrade few things.

 

Personally I think about such setup of capitain for Weser and Erich https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=1,9,10,11,16,24,25,29&ship=AirCarrier  or  https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=1,9,10,11,16,23,25,29&ship=AirCarrier and I wonder about few things like Manual Control for Secondary and Torpedo Acceleration with Basic Firing Training and Adrenaline Rush. Manual Control bonus -15% to the dispercion of secondary batery seems to be very low so I wonder is it worth to invest into this? Is it possible to manualy control secondary battery due to M big map but still this ship melts forts, Cimarrons and smaller ships like crazy even on 6km secondary ( so far capitain Admiral Hipper from Azur Lane for flat deck memes :Smile_trollface: with 13 points so without AFT ) so I think using Manual Control only diminish rain of fire from her as it's required to select each target. Adrenaline Rush to boost secondary and planes reload in case of damage. Her torpedos from torpedo bombers are slow but after acceleration 37 knots is not very different from 40 knots on Ark/Furious so it's also could be interesting because now I need to aim differently than on Ark Royal and Furious.

 

My rating of CV's in Killer Whale is Ark Royal = Ryujo > Furious > Weser > Ranger

My rating of CV's in Aegis is Erich Loewenhard > Ark Royal  > Ryujo > Weser > Furious > Ranger

 

I have no intention of using TVIII August von Parseval in different way as Snowflake ship twice a year so capitain will be exclusevely for Weser/Erich.

 

On Erich so far I saw that I'm unable to make 230k+ dmg outcome like it's not difficult on Ark Royal or Ryujo but I'm able at least to fight with secondary in first line with cruisers and battleships which helps a lot in carry in case of derped team. What suprised me I played few times Newport and rocket planes really made a difference allowing more or less nice victory every time. I have feeling that Newport could be her true moment of shine ( with Aegis of course ) in OP's. 

 

Definitely I'm not fan of Ranger as I just can't make her work with similar outcome as Ark Royal or Ryujo but I think I must approach differently to her, also I do not played her as much as others.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
57 posts
6,033 battles

I never play CV so I have no idea how it stacks against other, but as a BB main I can tell you that I hate that thing. That CV has sunk my low health BB more time than I can think of. It takes large parts out of Nelson, my fav ship. I don't know what stat says or anything else, that ship is OP like hell. I have taken 18k damage in a Cleveland from its rocket attack planes. Although that might be an exception because the CV player himself was surprised.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
3 hours ago, Marblehead_1 said:

After rework I'm CV in Operations only so as Erich Loewenhardt is TVI I bought her. She is for sure different from Ark, Ryujo, Furious, Ranger and Weser and I feel that her uniqness should be used.

 

I tried your tactic and it works in 100% although I think it should be possible to upgrade few things.

 

Personally I think about such setup of capitain for Weser and Erich https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=1,9,10,11,16,24,25,29&ship=AirCarrier  or  https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=1,9,10,11,16,23,25,29&ship=AirCarrier and I wonder about few things like Manual Control for Secondary and Torpedo Acceleration with Basic Firing Training and Adrenaline Rush. Manual Control bonus -15% to the dispercion of secondary batery seems to be very low so I wonder is it worth to invest into this? Is it possible to manualy control secondary battery due to M big map but still this ship melts forts, Cimarrons and smaller ships like crazy even on 6km secondary ( so far capitain Admiral Hipper from Azur Lane for flat deck memes :Smile_trollface: with 13 points so without AFT ) so I think using Manual Control only diminish rain of fire from her as it's required to select each target. Adrenaline Rush to boost secondary and planes reload in case of damage. Her torpedos from torpedo bombers are slow but after acceleration 37 knots is not very different from 40 knots on Ark/Furious so it's also could be interesting because now I need to aim differently than on Ark Royal and Furious.

 

My rating of CV's in Killer Whale is Ark Royal = Ryujo > Furious > Weser > Ranger

My rating of CV's in Aegis is Erich Loewenhard > Ark Royal  > Ryujo > Weser > Furious > Ranger

 

I have no intention of using TVIII August von Parseval in different way as Snowflake ship twice a year so capitain will be exclusevely for Weser/Erich.

 

On Erich so far I saw that I'm unable to make 230k+ dmg outcome like it's not difficult on Ark Royal or Ryujo but I'm able at least to fight with secondary in first line with cruisers and battleships which helps a lot in carry in case of derped team. What suprised me I played few times Newport and rocket planes really made a difference allowing more or less nice victory every time. I have feeling that Newport could be her true moment of shine ( with Aegis of course ) in OP's. 

 

Definitely I'm not fan of Ranger as I just can't make her work with similar outcome as Ark Royal or Ryujo but I think I must approach differently to her, also I do not played her as much as others.

 

 

I don't think manual control for secondaries is a skill you take on CV = you have to select targets manually and you can't do that from planes ! And automatic targetting of whatever target is in range - can be on both sides simultaniously -  is probably much more beneficial in Operations. And other then that, manual control cost a lot of points that probably should be spend elsewere for better score returns. You don't need IFHE on those low tier enemy bots either. And in PvP secondaries are for defending against DD anyway...16 mm (superstructure)  to 19 mm of penetration is enough. And the occasional CV vs CV gun battle when you are the only surviving ships. Most CV have 19 mm of hangar plating. Only E.Lowenhardt and the T8+ UK CV are special in that.

 

It is just BFT and AFT that do not go into plane skills for me which to me are justifyable because they enhance AA and the secondary batteries, so 2 purposes for 1 skill.  Slightly more powerful AA is does not pay off often but once in a while in PvP someone will try to sink your CV with planes. That player will probably fail due to long travel time alone, but a heavy damaged CV is more vulnerable to any type of attack that comes after.....such as DD attacks. So it is better he does not come back after he feels the pain of a lost squadron with little result.

 

The only thing i have different is i have DE ( demolition expert ) skill on all my CV captain as standard. Even those armed with AP rockets and AP bombs. Why ? Because i move my captains between premiums and a silver CV, it is not uncommon 1 captain is on 3 CV. ( of which 2 premiums he can be freely moved around on ) and a lot of CV benefit from DE on either 1) HE rockets 2) HE bombs or 3) Secondary batteries that fire HE.  Obviously none of Wesers planes benefit from that but it's secondaries still use it in Operations. The same captain is on E Lowenhardt too and the HE bombs and the secondaries benefit from it. On other CV all HE rocket fighters benefit from it too.

 

I agree the AP fighters can make a real difference in Cruiser heavy waves of attackers. But they suffer against DD which may well torpedo careless teammates. So having HE rocket fighters is not a downside per definition.

 

I use all the tier VI CV in operations....just enjoying the differences.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BBMM]
Players
6,748 posts
9,556 battles
3 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Get a Ryujo or Ark Royal instead.

Ditto. Those are better. 

 

It is quite funny though if you make it a "Beast Of War Build". You should try it. 

Not as in "very very good", but if you're any good it still is good enough and HILARIOUS. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
49 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Ditto. Those are better. 

 

It is quite funny though if you make it a "Beast Of War Build". You should try it. 

Not as in "very very good", but if you're any good it still is good enough and HILARIOUS. 

 

 

 

wows 39.jpg

 

This is my CV build and it's tried and tested to suit the reality of all that i need. It does not really hurt plane performance in any way you can actually notice in combat. And my WR ( 60 % for CV ) isn't that bad at all.

 

And it is important to state i do not play for the highest WR. I play for enjoyment. Shooting stuff with CV guns while you operate planes  in Operations is pure score enhancing,  in PvP that may not be the case, but there it gives great satisfaction. I know a lot of DD players must have taken a bite out of their keyboard in frustration after exploding by my CV's secondary battery fire. It just isn't as harmless or short ranged as they assume it is.....tried and tested in thousands of Operation matches like in the pictures a few posts above.

 

The only skill i'm not 100 % sure about for the future is 10 % more secondary battery ROF /  10 % more continuous AA or in other words  BFT in a PvP enviroment only. The 1 point  Improved Engine boost is a very important plane skill to miss as you need it to accelerate, decellerate and sharp turns. Running out of boost in AA zones means more plane losses. Although a module improves boost also you can never have enough.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,373 posts
24,095 battles
12 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

 

I don't think manual control for secondaries is a skill you take on CV = you have to select targets manually and you can't do that from planes ! And automatic targetting of whatever target is in range - can be on both sides simultaniously -  is probably much more beneficial in Operations. And other then that, manual control cost a lot of points that probably should be spend elsewere for better score returns. You don't need IFHE on those low tier enemy bots either. And in PvP secondaries are for defending against DD anyway...16 mm (superstructure)  to 19 mm of penetration is enough. And the occasional CV vs CV gun battle when you are the only surviving ships. Most CV have 19 mm of hangar plating. Only E.Lowenhardt and the T8+ UK CV are special in that.

 

It is just BFT and AFT that do not go into plane skills for me which to me are justifyable because they enhance AA and the secondary batteries, so 2 purposes for 1 skill.  Slightly more powerful AA is does not pay off often but once in a while in PvP someone will try to sink your CV with planes. That player will probably fail due to long travel time alone, but a heavy damaged CV is more vulnerable to any type of attack that comes after.....such as DD attacks. So it is better he does not come back after he feels the pain of a lost squadron with little result.

 

The only thing i have different is i have DE ( demolition expert ) skill on all my CV captain as standard. Even those armed with AP rockets and AP bombs. Why ? Because i move my captains between premiums and a silver CV, it is not uncommon 1 captain is on 3 CV. ( of which 2 premiums he can be freely moved around on ) and a lot of CV benefit from DE on either 1) HE rockets 2) HE bombs or 3) Secondary batteries that fire HE.  Obviously none of Wesers planes benefit from that but it's secondaries still use it in Operations. The same captain is on E Lowenhardt too and the HE bombs and the secondaries benefit from it. On other CV all HE rocket fighters benefit from it too.

 

I agree the AP fighters can make a real difference in Cruiser heavy waves of attackers. But they suffer against DD which may well torpedo careless teammates. So having HE rocket fighters is not a downside per definition.

 

I use all the tier VI CV in operations....just enjoying the differences.

Yeah, Manual Control seems to be not very viable for Erich and Weser as Erich makes real rain of fire in OP's around her. I for sure want to go into carrier secondary hybrid with BFT and AFT while rest go for planes - something like this https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=1,9,10,11,16,23,25,29&ship=AirCarrier Still I think about exchanging Torpedo Acceleration for Adrenaline Rush which could be very funny when damaged and my brawling carrier for sure gets damaged but I still know that this torps needs some boost and airplanes are her true weapon.

 

For Ark Royal and Furious as same as for Ranger I use such build: https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=8,10,11,12,16,24,25,29&ship=AirCarrier

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×