You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
bokelund917

Looking for advice about t7 premium ships

33 comments in this topic

Players
9 posts
2,821 battles

Hello! Im looking for tier 7 premium to grind some cash and to have a little variation in playstyle from the european line... But cant quite make up my mind so would be interesting to hear if you have any favourites in that category :) doesnt have to be the best meta, just fun to play and able to make some monies

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,641 posts
26,448 battles

Best tier 7 moneymaker is Ashitaka, using the special cammo.

Strong BBs are Nelson or Shinyhorse.

For DDs you can try Haida, Z39 or Simms (this has increased XP gain).

Cruisers, not really...Atlanta used to be fun, but nerfed AA and IFHE ruined it. If you can, get Flint or Belfast, but these 2 are hard to obtain.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,706 posts
15,193 battles
2 hours ago, bokelund917 said:

But cant quite make up my mind so would be interesting to hear if you have any favourites in that category

Obvious favourites for me (that are still available) include things like Haida, Z-39, Scharn, and Boise, off the top of my head, BUT T7 can have troublesome MM since some semi-recent changes.

A couple of other things to have on your radar:

• It's a good idea if your first/early premium ship purchases gel with the captains you have on your silver ships; besides more efficient use of the premiums themselves (due to captain training), a premium with a sub-standard captain can be painful to play. For example, Haida is excellent - IMO - but a very poor choice if you don't have a way to generate at least a 10 point captain (13-15 better), mainly because she has no corresponding silver ships at the moment.
  • You're very early in your WOWS career (sub-500 random battles at time of writing), so you may not yet have settled on a main class and/or favourite play style; it might be better to wait, or get some lower tier things that cost less, in case your preferences shift.
  • It's worth picking up some of the 'free' premiums from the Armory [sic] i.e. the coal ones i.e. Aigle, Blysk (works with your Pan-EU captains, especially if you went BFT), and Anshan are all worthwhile (if you have at least a 10 point captain).
  • Don't forget Ops: they can be a useful mode for earning and missions, provided you have suitable ships; however, top picks for Ops are not necessarily the same as for other modes e.g. unless you're *really* good, most DDs tend to be a liability in Ops.
  • If paying money, get something you can use a coupon for, or is otherwise cheap - premium ships are over-priced compared to many games' DLC.

So, some specific suggestions, having looked at your stats/ships:

• Your most played ships seem to be the Ikeas; Blysk is a slam-dunk choice here: she's been a bit power-crept, but is still a decent DD. More gun orientated than the silver line, and don't expect the Ikeas' terrifying (for a DD) AA. Best of all though, you can get her for coal, and you have a better chance of having at least a 'good enough' captain for her.
  • Your cruisers are mainly low tier, but the Russians seem to be most played; suggest the T5 Kirov, for coal, and she suits a captain from the silver line too.

That's your lot, at this stage. There are loads of good premiums, but your chances of getting the most from a lot of them (especially at T7) will be limited at the moment due to lack of captains and/or experience.

Permit me to offer some further suggestions:

• If you really do want some variety, get it via other silver lines; you appear to have missed most of the classic 'first choices' of lines to play; you'll do better in the long run if you play those (examples include IJN/US BBs, DDs, and Cruisers - these were the first lines introduced to the game and as such are the least weird; your RN BBs are a poor first line as they teach you bad habits, such as spamming HE, for example).
  • If you want to buy something more powerful to increase your chances of winning, it won't work; in general, WOWS is lousy if you want to P2W. If you buy a premium, you will indeed have a shiny higher tier ship (if you buy a higher tier one), but then so will everyone else, and they'll be more experienced, and they'll probably have better captains.
  • Take the time to get 'good enough' captains; this means at least 10 points when you're into the +2 MM bracket.

I know this is all a bit dull (and we all feel the urge for the new shiny - look at my ships list for a particularly powerful example of that + poor impulse control), but you'll do best if you take your time, get a few more modest tiered premiums first that mesh with your silver ships, and then get livelier once you've got more experience and captains. Of course, most people ignore this entirely; if/when you do, you can use the things in Coop whilst skills/captains/etc. catch up, so it isn't a total loss short-term....

• Cool 7

Players
7 posts
91 battles

I would recommend the Yuudachi to you. She is not easy to play at all and has disadvantages compared to her T7 silver line counterpart Shiratsuyu but Yuudachi has usable guns and 15km range torpedos with torpedo reload booster.

Yuudachi teaches you to be extra careful, how to stay alive and what fights you are and aren't able to pick.

Since Yuudachi is a DD you will have actual impact in your games more so than other classes and can earn quite good money without the need of much damage as cap contesting is rewarding too.

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,626 posts
46 minutes ago, bokelund917 said:

Hello! Im looking for tier 7 premium to grind some cash and to have a little variation in playstyle from the european line... But cant quite make up my mind so would be interesting to hear if you have any favourites in that category :) doesnt have to be the best meta, just fun to play and able to make some monies

As in DD? Z-39 or Haida are both ok picks, Yudachi might be as well...

Otherwise Atlanta is a blast and Ashitaka best credit printer (with the special camo)

[SM0KE]
Players
6,706 posts
15,193 battles
2 minutes ago, Gosuto_kuchiku_kan said:

I would recommend the Yuudachi to you.

FWIW I absolutely wouldn't suggest Yudachi at this stage - she isn't nearly as bad as people think, but there are far better things to get instead, even just within T7. *Maybe* have a look at her once you've played a lot more IJN torp boat games.

I rather like Yudachi personally, but I do have a 19 point TA (which makes the torps tolerable - 12 km range is enough) captain to put in her; she'd be a miserable experience for a comparative newbie...

• Cool 2

Players
7 posts
91 battles
Gerade eben, Verblonde sagte:

miserable experience for a comparative newbie... 

miserable yes.

challenging too.

I went through it. Was the first ship I played after creating this account. No CE. No captain. no last stand. It teaches you well and at the same time it can earn credits.

I agree with you however. For a newer player not the most fun option. But definetly one that if he played a few 100 in it and then switches to a more comfortable ship... Will have adapted a playstyle that some 5k battles players wish they had.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,706 posts
15,193 battles
1 minute ago, Gosuto_kuchiku_kan said:

Was the first ship I played after creating this account. No CE. No captain. no last stand.

Ouch! That can't have been much fun!

• Funny 1

Players
1,068 posts
15,102 battles
54 minutes ago, bokelund917 said:

But cant quite make up my mind so would be interesting to hear if you have any favourites in that category :) doesnt have to be the best meta, just fun to play and able to make some monies

Most of the T7 Premiums I have were bought with playing Operation: Narai in mind.

So Scharnhorst and Hood are great fun because of their speed and tankiness (Hood is less suited to competitive play because of her sheer size and lack of agility). Nelson is a good starting ambition, good in various Ranked Sprints also but vulnerable to getting citadels through the bow because of overmatch. Haida I would strongly recommend as being very a versatile pick for any type of gameplay and against any type of opponent. I don't play mine very much because of other available choices, but were she my only Premium I'd play the heck out of it.

Players
1,738 posts
12 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Boise,

++ Good script @Verblonde

I think establish your criteria, what you need / want to do, and pick from there :-

a) Credit Earning

b) Game wins / stats

c) XP generation  

The only thing I would add is :- right now save coal.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,536 posts
18,824 battles

Leningrad? High Speed, strong artillery, smoke, 8k torpedoes - you might find that fits the "similar but different" brief, especially if you've been playing Euro DDs. It always gets forgotten but it's quite good.

[CHEFT]
Players
12,416 posts
9,841 battles

Just dont... T7 gets permanently shafted vs T9 by the MM, and thats one of the worst MM you can have.

You have still very limited experience, a good premium ship to earn money in, is a ship you play well and also like to play. So you should pick one, which is close to a techtree ship you like. Thats why, you should play more ships before you decide. Or look at the lower tier coal ships, maybe there is a one that might interest you.

• Cool 6

[ADRIA]
Players
314 posts
10,685 battles
8 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Just dont... T7 gets permanently shafted vs T9 by the MM, and thats one of the worst MM you can have.

You have still very limited experience, a good premium ship to earn money in, is a ship you play well and also like to play. So you should pick one, which is close to a techtree ship you like. Thats why, you should play more ships before you decide. Or look at the lower tier coal ships, maybe there is a one that might interest you.

Concise but so very much on point. QFT

• Cool 1

[BIF]
Players
409 posts
5,692 battles

Seeing that you progressing in the RN BB line, i would suggest Warspite with the special camo, if you need to gain credits. She's T6 only, and one of the old premiums, but still can wreck face anywhere, from randoms to operations.

[BODEM]
Players
802 posts
7,026 battles

Not really what you aak for, but if you want fun on T7, you can find it with a silver edge in the RN CLs. If you go mainly for fun/diversion, I could wholeheartedly recommend that. The money will come while havimg fun.

• Cool 1

Players
1,285 posts
7,112 battles
1 hour ago, Yedwy said:

Otherwise Atlanta is a blast

I wouldn't recommend Atlanta. I don't think she's suitable for inexperienced players, and me and my teammates suffered when I bought her myself as my first premium (with me at that time having similar experience as OP). The (in)famous Yuro vid did help, but still, she's unforgiving, requires an unique playstyle, and you definitely need to get used to the mortar shell balistics.

• Cool 5

Players
78 posts
2,024 battles

Since you took the time to come to the forums I would recommend getting a firm grasp on game mechanics at lower tiers or mid tiers before buying a premium as the good ships with good economy are at higher tiers and a premium ship with a bad captain will not be pleasing for your teammates to watch.

• Cool 2

Players
10,360 posts
12,044 battles
2 hours ago, bokelund917 said:

Times when tier 7 had "goldilock" matchmaking are long gone, now you will see lots of uptiers. And tier 7 ships uptier badly due to artificial gap in ship stats:

battleships are overmatched by 380mm+ guns, which are common sight at tier 7 already, let alone at tier 8. Tier 8 light cruisers also get 30mm HE pen, thus you will be farmed for days by one.

cruisers usually have 19mm plating, making them incapable of ricocheting 280mm+ guns, which can be an issue when facing Alaska and other Large Cruisers. Light cruisers also have artificially worsened HE pen, which can prove an issue when facing tier 8+ heavy cruisers, as HE will shatter harmlessly.

destroyers suffer from lack of Concealment upgrade, present on tier 8. Thus, in any uptiered game you will have significant concealment penalty when facing higher tier DDs.

Basically, game devolved into state where if you want decent premium ship, you need to spend big, or not at all. Alternatively collect Free Exp and/or Coal to get tier 9 "freemiums" like mentioned Alaska, Georgia or what else you fancy.

• Cool 5

[OLEUM]
Players
232 posts
20,704 battles

Leningrad  is a fun destroyer on t7. it is  a fast cannon boat with usable torpedo with a range of 8m  (so stealth torpedo attacks are possible) 

but you do need a captain with many points to make the boat work properly

so if you are looking for variation in a dd this is a good choice

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

I got 36 Tier VII ships and they see action in Narai only. Or tier VII ranked matches if it occurs.

But i cannot point out a favorite premium. My best liked tier VII is actually tech tree French BB Lyon : it is fast ( 27 knots ) it has 12x 130 mm 7.2 km range secondaries and 16 (!) main gun barrels. No premium offer something like it.

Atlanta maybe special in being capable of extreme damage dealing in Operations but it is ultra fragile, actually a large DD. The three UK BB are not bad either.....just not very special. Poltava is rather weak compared to the tech tree Sinop.

It is challenging to damage race in Narai with DD against others, so (premium) DD really do not shine there either. And if there was a special one, i would say the tech tree panasian Gadja Mada would be the one. Not a premium.

My latest purchase was California but that was a very poor choice. It's ultra low speed is almost unusable in Operations. Or any other mode i suppose.

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Given the state of T7... I'd say the Nelson and Blysca are options if you want ships for free. Both aren't great, but can work in randoms. If you want a premium for money... I guess Hood? It's not very exciting and isn't going to do a lot of high impact gameplay, but even in a match vs T9, it is fast, has good enough armour when angled and the guns with improved pen angles can hurt cruisers. It's really a ship that excels at staying alive and just racks up damage as the game progresses, which in a game vs T9 can already be very valuable if your T7 BB isn't dead within the first half of the game because some Izumo crapped on it from across the map or a Georgia ran it down.

Players
1,270 posts

Sims is a good DD for a newbie. 12k torps can  be used with it and it has long smoke duration time, it seems to earn credits okay as well. Plus the torps can be got down to 68 seconds reload as well. I was going to say the premium JAP DD at T7 as also called Yūdachi, which is like a mini Asashio with 15k torps - but the torps can kill all ship classes unlike it's big brother Asashio. But they since removed it from sale in the shop

Players
1,270 posts
5 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Leningrad? High Speed, strong artillery, smoke, 8k torpedoes - you might find that fits the "similar but different" brief, especially if you've been playing Euro DDs. It always gets forgotten but it's quite good.

Great guns and very easy to use on it with a flat trajectory. But for a noob you're pushing it bit with 8k torps and and max concealment of 6.6.

It's a fun DD, fast and great guns to use. But I think something like Sims is better suited to a noob at T7 because of the ample concealment to use those 12k torps option with it. But I have Leningrad and do like the guns on it.

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,756 posts
6,312 battles

There is also the small matter of her rather slow turret traverse.. Leningrad I mean. @MRGTB