You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CmdreSmith

Autopilot (All Classes)

16 comments in this topic

[COAL]
Players
2 posts
1,759 battles

Is autopilot broken in WoW? 

It seems to me that for every class of ship, the autopilot works/doesn't work/sometimes works, and it's just not reliable of dependable.

Sometimes, especially when approaching the edges of the maps, it refuses to turn, leaving you stranded in the reduced power mode.

It crashes you into islands and/or teammates.

I think even back in WoW Beta, autopilot used to actively avoid other players - what happened?

If it's not going to be developed and maintained as a feature, perhaps they should get rid of it altogether?

Thoughts?

Players
1,112 posts
12,616 battles

It used to be better than it currently is though, particularly the CV autopilot

22 minutes ago, Dominik_Tirpitz said:

Autopilot was never fixed, it's broken since forever

Players
839 posts

At some point in the more-or-less recent past, the devs broke AI pathfinding (it may or may not have had something to do with the carrier rework). Thus, autopilot has trouble plotting sensible courses when any terrain might be in the way, and then has issues getting you there; also, the AI's navigation in Co-op and several notable instances in Ops recently has been absolutely awful, to the point where bots are often unable to out-manoeuvre islands after two or three tries. It seems like the Ops problems are mostly fixed (or at least toned down), but it doesn't seem as though the devs are prioritising a complete fix for pathfinding at the moment.

[CSADD]
Players
172 posts

Some proof that autopilot indeed has a "pathfinding" bug which makes it unplayable, version 0.9.7...

Especially screenshot number 4 is crazy... first you choose a destination, then another one, and the path is not updated, just the end marker.

1.thumb.jpg.c16868cb37aa6c777c2bc6b1ca43fc5c.jpg2.thumb.jpg.21b69601f09fd85709aef0a77c8f955b.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.b9f577634302cf3726e593516bf371bd.jpg4.thumb.jpg.fb2f786f3095c1a488ec187d5df37a4b.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CSADD]
Players
172 posts
On 8/25/2020 at 4:57 PM, KeeperOfTheDungeon said:

After the autopilot reached the final destination you have to "reset" It manualy by using ohne of the WASD keys, then give him  the new course. 

My example was at the beginning of the game. The ship did not move 1 meter yet.

[LEAKS]
Players
237 posts
9,886 battles

Autopilot was revised to allow for the turn curves to be shown on the planned course and not just showing angular changes.  At that point the effect of turning curves seems to have been reflected into the auto pilot's planning and it will allow a course to be set that actually requires the vessel to come to a standstill, reverse and basically do a "three point turn" to get past obstructions.  This was irritating but not as infuriating as when at the same time the autopilot developed an intermittent fault that showed the course set but when the ship moved it just stayed on the same heading and did not obey the autopilot course settings.  I know someone will jump in and say how the skipper shouldn't set the autopilot but carry out his own course changes manually but in the same way that an experienced driver can make an automatic transmission do more than the car manufacturer intended, the autopilot can be used with some skill to free the skipper's concentration for gunnery without crashing his vessel into islands or team mates.  Except that the current autopilot tends to do that as well as set you up stationary for the enemy to plaster you when you thought you had it all under automatic control!

[THESO]
Players
611 posts
12,158 battles

The autopilot has felt been amazingly neglected by WG. Especially since after the rework the CV players were intended to rely on it. 

It was almost a year after the rework when the autopilot would routinely just beach the CV hull.

This was fixed so that the autopilot was completely paranoid of beaching. It would often just disengage and stop you near islands. Sometimes it wouldn't move again. 

Right now it seems somehow decent though? I played Ryujo in clan battles and a bit of Weser in randoms, and I don’t recall major problems. 

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
14,778 battles

My biggest problem with it is that it is tring to be smart : with large CV ( WG seems to have nerfed their turning radius lately as well, which is not helping at all ) instead of beaching itself it tries leave going foreward, backward, foreward, backward and by the time it is able to leave the enemies that were halfway the map when it started come sailing behind that object sinking the CV.  It does the same thing near map edges, which can be unexpected when you appear to be not even that near to the map edge.

When turning a few degrees autopilot switches the engine off for a few seconds which is audible. The unnecessary speed loss is VERY disadvantagious when on the run at flanking speed trying to keep your large detection radius just outside the persuing enemies position.

The most treaterous is that the autopilot seems to be able to plot another course with the same destination by itself when your course cannot be executed. I have seen CV sail into positions i never told them to be in. the "WTF !!!" moment is amusing sometimes, but often it will lead to losing the CV.

I think autopilot killed more of my CV then enemy skills did.....

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,187 posts
11,272 battles

If you haven't been killed by autopilot in your CV.. you must be doing something wrong :) 

Player: Hello autopilot.. please go backwards.. 

AutoPilot: Thanks for the orders captain. I'll put a dotted line and a small triangle onto the map to show you I've understood your orders. 

a few moments later... 

P: WTF AUTOPILOT WHY ARE YOU CHARGING INTO THE ENEMY!!!! 

AP: derp... 

P: Hello autopilot, can you please turn left then a slight right to get behind of this island? 

AutoPilot: Ooohh.. about that.. how about I show you that I understood your route.. but as soon as you close the map, I just go straitght forward?

P: Oh come on!! turn back now.. 

AutoPilot: Now I'm said, and I refuse to move an inch.. even my engine is on full throttle! 

P: Dear AP, please go behind this island, and stop there.. Thats a dangerous but great position. 

AP: Ok... 

A few moments later. 

P: WHY THE HELL ARE YOU İN CAP? WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP! 

AP: oooh look a red circle!!! 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PANEU]
Players
1,004 posts
3,012 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, Excavatus sagte:

If you haven't been killed by autopilot in your CV.. you must be doing something wrong :) 

Player: Hello autopilot.. please go backwards.. 

AutoPilot: Thanks for the orders captain. I'll put a dotted line and a small triangle onto the map to show you I've understood your orders. 

a few moments later... 

P: WTF AUTOPILOT WHY ARE YOU CHARGING INTO THE ENEMY!!!! 

AP: derp... 

P: Hello autopilot, can you please turn left then a slight right to get behind of this island? 

AutoPilot: Ooohh.. about that.. how about I show you that I understood your route.. but as soon as you close the map, I just go straitght forward?

P: Oh come on!! turn back now.. 

AutoPilot: Now I'm said, and I refuse to move an inch.. even my engine is on full throttle! 

P: Dear AP, please go behind this island, and stop there.. Thats a dangerous but great position. 

AP: Ok... 

A few moments later. 

P: WHY THE HELL ARE YOU İN CAP? WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP! 

AP: oooh look a red circle!!! 

That is funny but the sad thing is it is true. I don't get why WG can't fix it. I mean it's broken so long now. (5years)

[THESO]
[THESO]
4,187 posts
11,272 battles
26 minutes ago, Aixin said:

That is funny but the sad thing is it is true. I don't get why WG can't fix it. I mean it's broken so long now. (5years)

It is funny because it is true :) 

And it happens in everywhere.. like CB, causing you a match.. 

One can always say, you should constantly be aware of your hull.. 

But it mostly slips from your mind.. 

• Cool 1