Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
dabsch

WG's flawless automatic chat ban system

22 comments in this topic

[MORIA]
Players
12 posts
22,211 battles

wows1.jpg.a8622829934e135db090d7e81a644870.jpg

So I just got a month'S worth chatban via some guy(s) right click report for saying: thunderer AP is a myth, obviously. Flawless system. Seems reasonable. Guess thats an incentive to not play or whats the plan here?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,674 posts
2 minutes ago, dabsch said:

So I just got a month'S worth chatban via some guy(s) right click report for saying: thunderer AP is a myth, obviously. Flawless system. Seems reasonable. Guess thats an incentive to not play or whats the plan here?

afaik: automatic chat bans are only 24h, everything longer was issued by staff...

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[HOO]
Players
1,976 posts
3,802 battles
2 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

afaik: automatic chat bans are only 24h, everything longer was issued by staff...

Which would suggest OP, that your ban is not for what you said in this battle, but for something you said earlier and someone was upset enough to ask WG to look at it.

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
12 posts
22,211 battles

And by pure coincidence the chatban arrived right after I said that. At this point I can only doubt that..

Especially since all I ever get as reply from the staff are automated copy n paste message that tell me that their "half"-automated system is flawless.

EDIT:

Am german, so unfortunately support replies in german even when I message them in english, it always goes like this:

Diese Sanktion wurde durch unser halbautomatisiertes System verhängt. Es überprüft das Chatverhalten aller Spieler in Gefechten und sucht aktiv nach unangemessenen Formulierungen, die gegen die World of Warships-Spielregeln verstoßen.

-> these sanction was applied by our haf-automated system. It check checks the chat of every player in all the battles and looks actively for inappropiate messages which violate the guidelines.

Edited by dabsch
  • Bad 1

Players
885 posts

I'm puzzled, I see the screen shot, on there is nothing contentious but it says Banned, Then some one will say it has to be Staff doing the banning, so what is happening? the options are it's a edited screen shot, CoCo the Clown Bot is running rampant with the Ban Stick or the staff member is seeing things, Inquiring minds are curious to say the least,

[MORIA]
Players
12 posts
22,211 battles

Yeah unfortunetaly I have no way of proofing the screenshot is continuos... I can upload the replay, but I doubt anybody will go and spend the time checking that.

Also in the other thread that Execute0rder66 linked so kindly people are saying that the (R) in the message would indicate an automatic ban. this happens all the time to me. I am ~fairly~ very certain by now it's just people dropping right click reports on me.

[LEEUW]
Players
2,639 posts
10,310 battles

@dabsch yeah the system is an absolute joke. But here on the forum you'll only get "you probably deserved such a ban" and "I never got a chatban." 

• Cool 2

[MORIA]
Players
12 posts
22,211 battles
1 minute ago, GarrusBrutus said:

@dabsch yeah the system is an absolute joke. But here on the forum you'll only get "you probably deserved such a ban" and "I never got a chatban." 

I am aware of that. I don't expect anything. It's still more than I get from the actual "support" of this game.

(that sentence probably also summarizes everyone's general expectations regarding WG) *burn*

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,877 posts
9,059 battles
23 minutes ago, dabsch said:

And by pure coincidence the chatban arrived right after I said that.

Yes, you got banned after a employee manually did so. It doesn't matter if you were in battle or not and if you were chatting in this moment or not. 

24 minutes ago, dabsch said:

these sanction was applied by our haf-automated system

Half-automated means that you got reported, those reports got saved in the system and an employee had to check them (some time later) and choose the proper action on these reports.

You didn't get a month-chat-ban for "thunderer AP is a myth, obviously", you got a ban because of the things happened in chat in the matches before. 

• Cool 1

[BATES]
Alpha Tester
3,081 posts
12,113 battles
37 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

I find this incredibly hard to believe and dont. My month long chat ban, followed a day later by another without having said a bad word was very likely automated, especially when receiving the message it was automated, and even on appealing it I was informed it was an automated system. Had they actually viewed the logs they would notice the second ban had no justification whatsoever....none. So who exactly reviewed my case? Its an overly punitive system that is flawed to hell and back, but still somehow endorsed as working efficiently by those not affected. On Wot they have too much free speech to the point of endorsing racial hatred, whereas in Wows there is no free speech whatsoever. Looks to be as efficient as their matchmaker in both games.

[MORIA]
Players
12 posts
22,211 battles
1 minute ago, Shaka_D said:

I find this incerdibly hard to believe and dont. My month long chat ban, followed a day later by another without having said a bad word was very likely automated, especially when receiving the message it was automated, and even on appealing it I was informed t was an automated system. Its an overly punitive system that is flawed to hell and back, but still somehow endorsed as working efficiently by those not affected. On Wot they have too much free speech to the point of endorsing racial hatred, whereas in Wows there is no free speech whatsoever.

Thanks for replying. I am of the same opinion. I actually reported people for racist and outright Nazi nicknames via tickets and then monitoered how they just kept playing the next day and the next week. Sometimes they get their nicknames revoked. That's the most... but people can just mute you via rightclick if they chose to do so. it's pretty ridiculous.

• Bad 1

[CATS]
Players
28,297 posts
14,932 battles
46 minutes ago, dabsch said:

No, you did not. :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 1

[TTT]
1,625 posts
14,901 battles
56 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

I mean every time we get one of these threads where someone swears they were innocent, if they actually get in touch with a WG employee then they come back and say that it was deserved because XYZ.

Literally every time.

I recently got chat banned for a short duration and I absolutely deserved it. It was something borderline and I admit the system is harsh but it wasn't out of the blue.

I have yet to see a single example here of someone being totally innocent and getting chat banned (myself included).

Edit: to explain, I didn't do anything super bad. It was just an automated response to me describing a situation with a swear word which the automatic system picked up.

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Modder
4,877 posts
9,059 battles
1 minute ago, _Teob_ said:

I have yet to see a single example here of someone being totally innocent and getting chat banned (myself included).

This, very much!

[MORIA]
Players
12 posts
22,211 battles
Just now, _Teob_ said:

I mean every time we get one of these threads where someone swears they were innocent, if they actually get in touch with a WG employee then they come back and say that it was deserved because XYZ.

Literally every time.

I recently got chat banned for a short duration and I absolutely deserved it. It was something borderline and I admit the system is harsh but it wasn't out of the blue.

Oh yes, there is probably other stuff I could get chat banned for, I rage at terrible players but I certainly don't use racial slurs and such. Yes, one should be more zen but boy oh boy... the state of T10 games these days.

Anyway, that's not my issue here. The hilarious aspect is, that I am fairly certain by now that I will get chatbanned automatically, which is where my problem is. It's like we chatban you, but we don't tell you what we've banned you for.

• Cool 1

[MORIA]
Players
12 posts
22,211 battles

image.thumb.png.08e9cf46d6dd42bfe478bbde7b088adc.png

Aaaaaand my ticket got closed with the same automated response like the last 2 times. Sorry for the german.

[WRV]
Players
106 posts
498 battles

War's die beide Male zuvor denn gerechtfertigt? Was it justified both times before?

LOL

EDIT: English in this section of the forum, please.

[MORIA]
Players
12 posts
22,211 battles
5 minutes ago, Adm_Andre said:

War's die beide Male zuvor denn gerechtfertigt? Was it justified both times before?

LOL

EDIT: English in this section of the forum, please.

I don't know if it was justified, since I only get the reply that explains me their "half-automated" system.

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
6,286 posts
2,064 battles
1 hour ago, dabsch said:

58 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

Correct. 24h bans can be manual as well though.

54 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Which would suggest OP, that your ban is not for what you said in this battle, but for something you said earlier and someone was upset enough to ask WG to look at it.

Yes, usually it is from 1-2 days beforehand. Chat bans are barely ever given right away. That would likely be a "lucky" coincidence.

45 minutes ago, dabsch said:

Yeah unfortunetaly I have no way of proofing the screenshot is continuos... I can upload the replay, but I doubt anybody will go and spend the time checking that.

Also in the other thread that Execute0rder66 linked so kindly people are saying that the (R) in the message would indicate an automatic ban. this happens all the time to me. I am ~fairly~ very certain by now it's just people dropping right click reports on me.

The (R) is just for categorization. I guess the letter was chosen to indicate mature content like slurs, insults, etc... based on the "R-rating".

I cannot go into details, but I can confidentally say that this ban is justified.

44 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Obviously, players cannot comment on it with anything else and we can also not share any details publicly, so you will not get any other replies in public.

4 minutes ago, _Teob_ said:

I have yet to see a single example here of someone being totally innocent and getting chat banned

Same. I saw exactly one case and that was 4 years ago, where a manual ban was simply wrongly applied. Plain human error. That can happen but is incredibly rare and I have yet to hear about another such case.

9 minutes ago, dabsch said:

image.thumb.png.08e9cf46d6dd42bfe478bbde7b088adc.png

Aaaaaand my ticket got closed with the same automated response like the last 2 times. Sorry for the german.

We don't take appeals, so you will likely never receive another response.

If you have serious doubts or don't know why you got chat banned, feel free to shoot me a PM and I am happy to provide you with details. You can write to me in either English or German. Whatever you prefer.

• Cool 4

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
6,286 posts
2,064 battles

Also just to add that bit:

If you keep getting banned, the ban duration will become longer and longer, even minor insults can lead to weeks or months of ban time (or eventually a permanent chat ban). The length does not necessarily depend on the severity of the violation.

[CN_]
Moderator, Freibeuter
2,185 posts
6,793 battles

Thread closed.

After the explanation from Sehales there is nothing else to discuss here, there is an existing thread for chat ban discussions that has been linked above.

• Cool 1