You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Ocsimano18

What do you do with Pommern once the ranked sprint is over?

69 comments in this topic

Players
2,095 posts
8,653 battles

WG designed a game mode where Pommern shines, but what will happen afterwards?

[XTREM]
Players
2,054 posts
15,134 battles

If you got it, it must have meant you wanted to play it sometime?

So... you play it? 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

Players
2,095 posts
8,653 battles
Just now, Miragetank90 said:

If you got it, it must have meant you wanted to play it sometime?

So... you play it? 

I don't have it...

Players
4,277 posts
12,084 battles
5 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I don't have it...

So you made this topic why? 

To talk about how bad Pommern is supposed to be after ranked is over and talk about how every German ship is always bad except for niche situations like ranked? 

I'm just taking a very wild guess here. You probably just wanted a peaceful discussion about Pommern and her state in randoms. Totally not related to the things I just described probably 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
7,615 posts

Same as with all other brawlers, take out when you feel like headb*tting somebody... :cap_haloween:

• Cool 2

Players
2,095 posts
8,653 battles
5 minutes ago, _Warfarin_ said:

So you made this topic why? 

To talk about how bad Pommern is supposed to be after ranked is over and talk about how every German ship is always bad except for niche situations like ranked? 

I'm just taking a very wild guess here. You probably just wanted a peaceful discussion about Pommern and her state in randoms. Totally not related to the things I just described probably 

I have nearly the coal for it, but don't know whether to spend it or wait for FDR, Black, and Flint, or something new.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Pretty sure one has to be very special to get Pommern only for Ranked Sprint. Paying over 200k coal to have an easier time winning 10k coal. For randoms... dunno. don't own one. Seems like derpy GK with torps. Might be nice. Can be powerful. Personally, not sure, I don't feel like it.

• Cool 2

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

It suits my playstyle, up close and personal.

The problem is randoms really as that horrible mode does not allow to fight close range untill late in the match when the wall of mass focussing enemies is gone. Except for some maps with perticular islands that can be used to close in unmolested but you can't choose maps ofc. And future Tier IX events ofcourse.

• Cool 3

[CHEFT]
Players
12,400 posts
9,841 battles
2 hours ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Pretty sure one has to be very special to get Pommern only for Ranked Sprint.

I actually spend Steel to get it :Smile_trollface:

That being said, i didnt think Pommen is bad to begin with. Ofc the secondary build i ran for Sprint is probably not the best idea for randoms. Without dispersion module, it feels extremely unreliable. The hitrate is decent only because the engagements are close quarter, but even there it seems that it doesnt really go where it should go.

Just a different Alsace imo.

• Cool 1

[-LA-]
Players
704 posts
5,357 battles

go back to burning to death trying to get to the first bit of cover as 6 island humpers vomit HE on you?

• Cool 2

Players
2,791 posts
33,198 battles
2 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

WG designed a game mode where Pommern shines, but what will happen afterwards?

There are many captains that ranked out flawlessly with different ships which just shows this game mode was not made to shine Pommern. I have seen many unskilled players not really made Pommern shine. It all depends on the captain, same as in regular ranked season (excluding CVs). 

I also don't have Pommern yet, but at least from what i have seen, good players really have fun in it in Randoms. They know when to push and use the secondaries and when not to. I guess, it also depends on the taste. One may or may not like the ship's play style and for this reason, I'd give new players the opportunity of playing newly released ships as rentals for a day or two before they decide to buy or not,  if i were WG.

[-LA-]
Players
704 posts
5,357 battles
6 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

There are many captains that ranked out flawlessly with different ships which just shows this game mode was not made to shine Pommern. I have seen many unskilled players not really made Pommern shine. It all depends on the captain, same as in regular ranked season (excluding CVs). 

I also don't have Pommern yet, but at least from what i have seen, good players really have fun in it in Randoms. They know when to push and use the secondaries and when not to. I guess, it also depends on the taste. One may or may not like the ship's play style and for this reason, I'd give new players the opportunity of playing newly released ships as rentals for a day or two before they decide to buy or not,  if i were WG.

i dont think the op was trying to say it was made just for the pom-pom just that for a nice change it actually had a nice chance to shine.

its just been really nice to have a game mode thats fun for those of us that prefer short range engagements, its a stark contrast to random battle and welcome for it.

• Cool 1

Players
2,791 posts
33,198 battles
5 minutes ago, Padds01 said:

i dont think the op was trying to say it was made just for the pom-pom just that for a nice change it actually had a nice chance to shine.

its just been really nice to have a game mode thats fun for those of us that prefer short range engagements, its a stark contrast to random battle and welcome for it.

Sure, i know what Ocsimano is trying to say but his sentence "WG designed a game mode where Pommern shines, but what will happen afterwards?" is also valid for other ships that shined in the Sprint. For instance;

"WG designed a game mode where Alaska shines, but what will happen afterwards?"

"WG designed a game mode where Jutland shines, but what will happen afterwards?"

"WG designed a game mode where Kitakaze shines, but what will happen afterwards?"

"WG designed a game mode where Musashi shines, but what will happen afterwards?"

etc.

And it also sounds like as if Pommern only shines in Sprint mode but not in other modes which i explained it can also shine in Randoms.

The game mode is fun, i agree.

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
44 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I actually spend Steel to get it :Smile_trollface:

That being said, i didnt think Pommen is bad to begin with. Ofc the secondary build i ran for Sprint is probably not the best idea for randoms. Without dispersion module, it feels extremely unreliable. The hitrate is decent only because the engagements are close quarter, but even there it seems that it doesnt really go where it should go.

Just a different Alsace imo.

Personally, I looked at vids of Pommern and was like... I could just play GK. Yes, it has no torps, it is T10, but the main battery is much better (overmatch, accuracy, reload, pen, dpm), the secondaries pen 32 mm without needing IFHE, so I can go FP instead. I even can go with LU and spotter and basically have main battery mod and secondary mod in one package, while keeping about same range as Pommern if I need it.

Don't think Pommern is bad, just... I have a GK and its a lot of coal.

• Cool 2

[-LA-]
Players
704 posts
5,357 battles
1 hour ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Sure, i know what Ocsimano is trying to say but his sentence "WG designed a game mode where Pommern shines, but what will happen afterwards?" is also valid for other ships that shined in the Sprint. For instance;

"WG designed a game mode where Alaska shines, but what will happen afterwards?"

"WG designed a game mode where Jutland shines, but what will happen afterwards?"

"WG designed a game mode where Kitakaze shines, but what will happen afterwards?"

"WG designed a game mode where Musashi shines, but what will happen afterwards?"

etc.

And it also sounds like as if Pommern only shines in Sprint mode but not in other modes which i explained it can also shine in Randoms.

The game mode is fun, i agree.

yes there not mutual exclusive, was kind of my point ;)

anything can shine in any mode thats not really relevant is it? possible yes probable? less so and when it comes to playing a game i want a very high signal to noise ratio. queing all night long hoping you get a decent game in a short range high tier brawler is not a fun and engaging way for me to spend a night.

But in this 3v3 ive enjoyed the majority of games, thats simply not a comment i can make about random battle. that mode has a terrible hit/miss rate for me

please devs give us a permamnet version of this!

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,968 posts
26,129 battles
5 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I don't have it...

hmmm... simply could've asked bout the ship then?! or check stats?.. i mean..... huh?!....

options:

- scrap it for credits

- portqueen

- play sheep?!

wut? play?! :D..... bit of misleading the whole thing here imo

4 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I have nearly the coal for it, but don't know whether to spend it or wait for FDR, Black, and Flint, or something new.

as with any other ship choice... read above

• Cool 1

[BRITS]
Beta Tester
406 posts
9,202 battles

You play co-op or wait for the next T9 ranked sprint or normal ranked.

[40-1]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
309 posts
10,935 battles
5 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

I'm waiting for Black to come once again - as it was said earlier by WG for coal (that will make Black really black based :) )

I would not say Pommern was really shining - I've made sprint mostly with Donskoy and Kita and hardly met sbd who had skills to use Pommern :)

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
2,054 posts
15,134 battles
7 hours ago, GarrusBrutus said:

My Pommern joins my other port queens:
Mothballing the US Navy after WWII: pt.1 – wwiiafterwwii

Inaccurate. 

Since when did you have so many CVs? :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 3

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

I did notice while 380 mm guns should penetrate 600+ mm of armour at ~5 km range ( and ~90 degrees angle ) and there aren't any Tier IX BB with such thick armour i failed to deliver citadels on BB while i had a task of producing 12 of them with Pommern.

Or did i in fact aim too high because i overlooked submerged citadels ?

I got my citadels whacking Cruisers with AP. But not BB which i found strange shooting 12 of these large guns at such short ranges and often enough as close to 90 degrees as you can get in battle circumstances.

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles
10 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

In my case it's clear as water.

PEV, Bayern, Gneisenau, Bismarck, FdG and in my way to GK.

I'm waiting for Flint.

I can ask you how many of them you have.

But the question you have to ask yourself...

How many do i need? 

Players
2,095 posts
8,653 battles
9 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

In my case it's clear as water.

PEV, Bayern, Gneisenau, Bismarck, FdG and in my way to GK.

I'm waiting for Flint.

I can ask you how many of them you have.

But the question you have to ask yourself...

How many do i need? 

All of them plus Tirpitz, Scharnhorst and Odin, plus Agir and will get Siegfried this year. I like Tirpitz and Agir the most. I don't know about Pommern. The iron cross camo is tempting, but the guns (slotmachine sigma) are not.

• Cool 1