You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
HansRoaming

Odin, how do you find it now?

116 comments in this topic

[TACHA]
Players
256 posts
4,669 battles

There was a lot of discussion about Odin when it came out as part of the Dockyard event and I wondered what people thought of Odin now.

I find mine to be a monster in co op and great for close range fights in PVE but PVP tend to be long range drawn out battles and I haven't used mine at all but pick my Masa instead, I might take it into some Randoms to see how it goes but would treat it like a big unbreakable bow cruiser, not a BB. I tend not to fear the appearance of an Odin at range in a BB because the guns scratch paint and nothing else.

Maybe we need a Battlecruiser class rather than trying to ships like this into heavy cruiser and BB's, I don't know.

If you look at my stats you can see I've only just really started into PVP so by no means do I consider myself authoritative on the matter.

• Cool 5

[SKRUB]
Players
555 posts
21,841 battles
4 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Unfinished. :Smile_sad:

Don't worry, she could come back later... like Missouri.  :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
28,130 posts
14,900 battles

Still not enough HP for random. You have to play very careful, which is not good for your team.

And no, we do not need a BC class. That would be the death of CA.

• Cool 1

[BRITS]
Beta Tester
383 posts
7,973 battles

I find Odin lacking in HP and reload. 58200 hp with 20 sec reload should make it comfortable to play.

• Cool 5

Players
156 posts
3,740 battles

Thanks to torps and nice guns she is good to play in coops if you want to farm damage, sec hits etc for directives. One of the best ships for that I have (though I do not have that many...)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,061 posts
5,079 battles

IMO excellent brawler and decent at range. Gave it a secondary built and don't have to fear any particular ship with it.

• Cool 3

[BOBS]
Beta Tester
256 posts
3,472 battles
28 minutes ago, Figment said:

IMO excellent brawler and decent at range. Gave it a secondary built and don't have to fear any particular ship with it.

Same with me, I love the ship and have a lot of fun with her. Stick Lutjens on her for extra secondary goodness 😁

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
7,014 posts
1 hour ago, Episparh said:

Brawling ship design + low hp = port queen 

Pretty much this, one can make her work but why bother? For instance the Pommern offers the same brawling style but you dont need to tread on eggs with her...

• Cool 2

[SHAFT]
Players
11,049 posts
9,472 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

And no, we do not need a BC class. That would be the death of CA. 

Current implementation is death of CAs... its really unfair if one team has Zao/Hindenburg/DM, and the other has Stalingrad/PR and the likes.

If both teams would have BCs and CAs would be much more balanced.

• Cool 4

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,829 posts
17,704 battles

Underperforming. The ship itself is not especially brittle but the combination of small guns, poor gun handling and small HP pool leaves much to be deserved. Tier for tier does feel a lot worse then Scharnhorst.

• Cool 3

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Still sucks as a tier 8 BB, because it cannot do a T8 BBs job and it doesn't do any other worthwhile job either. It is the most minor threat to anything on the enemy team compared to other T8 BB, except for DDs, which it also won't be good against though. A Weser drop potentially removes a bit over a fourth of the hp pool permanently.

Most of these issues are not hp related (last one is), but gun-related, as the ship just sucks in the gunnery department and basically can only annoy enemies that aren't broadside, whereas other BBs could potentially devastate even angled cruisers. HE, which is sadly a very necessary ammunition type has no dpm and BB accuracy. The secondaries and torps don't make up for this lack of main battery power, as the secs are way too few with poor angles and no improved accuracy and the torps are 6 km. Not that you need improved accuracy on secondary BBs to be successful, but to avoid needing it, you at least need decent dpm. Odin has none of that. It has good pen, which matters little in reality, because if you fight any other BB, those BBs can just crap on you if they don't get into torp range and play their cards right.

28 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Current implementation is death of CAs... its really unfair if one team has Zao/Hindenburg/DM, and the other has Stalingrad/PR and the likes.

If both teams would have BCs and CAs would be much more balanced.

Depends on the other team members, tbh. Stalingrad and PR for example both do a pretty poor anti-DD job and ships like Conqueror or Thunderer have much bigger issues dealing with proper cruisers than with supercruisers. Ships like GK and Montana have strengths and weaknesses against either. But like, if you have to get a cruiser vs for example Halland, Hindenburg can play torpedo picket, Stalingrad is just another torp magnet thanks to size and maneuverability, with no hydro. Against something like Thunderer, a Zao that knows how to dodge is an issue. a Puerto Rico is just a damage sponge. And Yoshino most people disregard as a supercruiser, because Yoshino and Goliath basically are in the transition between the two types of ships. But balancing around supercruisers is less balanced than the game is currently, because at least currently, in a full T10 match, MM tries to match PR vs another American T10 cruiser, a Stalingrad against another T10 Soviet cruiser and a Yoshino vs a Zao or another Yoshino. Matching a friggin Stalingrad vs a Yoshino gives a greater difference than matching Stalingrad vs Moskva or Petro. Not because Yoshino is so poor, but because of which roles they fill. Otherwise you get people complaining about how one team gets more radars and the other gets none, because seperating the two pools means that the change of getting Zao or Yoshino matched against a ship of different nationality happens more often. Same with Ägir and Siegfried.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
11,049 posts
9,472 battles
3 minutes ago, HaachamaShipping said:

Depends on the other team members, tbh. Stalingrad and PR for example both do a pretty poor anti-DD job and ships like Conqueror or Thunderer have much bigger issues dealing with proper cruisers than with supercruisers. Ships like GK and Montana have strengths and weaknesses against either. But like, if you have to get a cruiser vs for example Halland, Hindenburg can play torpedo picket, Stalingrad is just another torp magnet thanks to size and maneuverability, with no hydro. Against something like Thunderer, a Zao that knows how to dodge is an issue. a Puerto Rico is just a damage sponge. And Yoshino most people disregard as a supercruiser, because Yoshino and Goliath basically are in the transition between the two types of ships. But balancing around supercruisers is less balanced than the game is currently, because at least currently, in a full T10 match, MM tries to match PR vs another American T10 cruiser, a Stalingrad against another T10 Soviet cruiser and a Yoshino vs a Zao or another Yoshino. Matching a friggin Stalingrad vs a Yoshino gives a greater difference than matching Stalingrad vs Moskva or Petro. Not because Yoshino is so poor, but because of which roles they fill. Otherwise you get people complaining about how one team gets more radars and the other gets none, because seperating the two pools means that the change of getting Zao or Yoshino matched against a ship of different nationality happens more often. Same with Ägir and Siegfried.

Stalingrads can also get matched against Smolensk, and 1 Stalingrad can easily demolish a couple of em. Id still prefer each team having a Stalingrad, instead of one team having 2 Stalings and the other get Smolensk and Hindenburg f.e. But i guess everyone has their own view about that :fish_book:

• Cool 1

Players
1,024 posts
3,825 battles

Seems to perform on par with all the other German battleships : Sitting on the edge of the map "sniping" not hitting anything or anyone, being on fire pretty much the entire match. The only difference with other German battleships is the other ones are very scary when played correctly, which does happen on rare occasions.

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

Stalingrads can also get matched against Smolensk, and 1 Stalingrad can easily demolish a couple of em. Id still prefer each team having a Stalingrad, instead of one team having 2 Stalings and the other get Smolensk and Hindenburg f.e. But i guess everyone has their own view about that :fish_book:

And then you get one team with two Stalingrads and the other gets a Moskva and Goliath and watch as the enemy Stalingrad dies 5 minutes into the match, because it gets roasted alive and can't retreat fast enough in reverse.

Honestly, the amount of games I witnessed that were decided by one supercruiser outperforming the cruisers is pretty slim. Discounting games where I played Yoshino.

Also, Smolensk isn't well-matched against a Petro or Nevsky either, given they have an easier time approaching the smoke without giving early warning and if the Smolensk isn't properly angled when the radar hits, the Smolensk basically is gone. 

• Cool 1

[VMF-]
Players
103 posts
3,657 battles
2 ore fa, HansRoaming ha scritto:

There was a lot of discussion about Odin when it came out as part of the Dockyard event and I wondered what people thought of Odin now.

I find mine to be a monster in co op and great for close range fights in PVE but PVP tend to be long range drawn out battles and I haven't used mine at all but pick my Masa instead, I might take it into some Randoms to see how it goes but would treat it like a big unbreakable bow cruiser, not a BB. I tend not to fear the appearance of an Odin at range in a BB because the guns scratch paint and nothing else.

Maybe we need a Battlecruiser class rather than trying to ships like this into heavy cruiser and BB's, I don't know.

If you look at my stats you can see I've only just really started into PVP so by no means do I consider myself authoritative on the matter.

Crappy port queen :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WONLY]
Players
427 posts

Solid BB. Not OP, not underwhelming. Takes some skill to make it work. You want to preserve HP early and get in situations where the Secondarys/Torps can shine.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,103 posts
5,480 battles

Still like her, even if she's been somewhat side lined by my recent acquisition of Pommern.

• Cool 3

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,478 posts
8,655 battles

My Opinion is Unchanged.

Odin is Trash.

Pitiful HP especially for a German BB.

Weak Main Battery even for a German BB.

Below Average Secondary Battery for a German BB.

Average Maneuverability.

Average Anti Air.

Average Set of Consumables.

Weak Torpedoes.

And thanks to the 19mm Weakspot in the Forward Citadel Armor it gets a Yamato Cheek on top of that.

In Total its Complete Trash with no Notable Advantages.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Players
1,024 posts
3,825 battles
11 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Below Average Secondary Battery for a German BB.

It's actually an incredible battery, just the firing angles are poop so they don't do much.

• Cool 1

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,438 posts
18,152 battles

It's the same as with Pommern.

They both require a playstyle that most players can't handle and therefore most players don't like them. I just had a clanmate ranking out in his Pommern doing 196k in the last battle.

They are not bad ships, it's just that they can't be played as snipers. "Don't try and force a square peg into a round hole."

• Cool 4