You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Major1999

Is Genova the worst Cruiser?

47 comments in this topic

Players
139 posts

I get her in the gambling of the italian cruiser event but i cant drive her till today, is the Genova the worst cruiser of WOWS?

How do you play her?

f2614df4c1234758ae6d787c519b1c90.jpg

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,120 posts
5,500 battles

Have to say @ColonelPete that I was not expecting the Yahagi to rank quite that high. No surprise on Mikoyan and Hawkins though.

• Bad 1

[4_0_4]
Players
7,794 posts
14,312 battles
20 hours ago, lafeel said:

Have to say @ColonelPete that I was not expecting the Yahagi to rank quite that high. No surprise on Mikoyan and Hawkins though.

You can assume Yahagi only gets played by players, who know how to use her.

The others might have played her a few times, died quickly and let her collect rust in the docks.

• Cool 2

Players
2,306 posts
31,496 battles

Worst or best are very subjective and changes from one person to another. But I would put Kawachi into the “dis sucks” category.

• Cool 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,120 posts
5,500 battles
1 hour ago, Zemeritt said:

You can assume Yahagi only gets played by players, who know how to use her.

The others might have played her a few times, died quickly and let her collect rust in the docks.

That makes sense..

[4_0_4]
Players
7,794 posts
14,312 battles
1 hour ago, lafeel said:

That makes sense..

Problem with @ColonelPete list, as always, is the lack of information about the number of battles.

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,120 posts
5,500 battles
7 minutes ago, Zemeritt said:

Problem with @ColonelPete list, as always, is the lack of information about the number of battles.

Clicking on the link he provided, and scrolling down to her (or just using ctrl f) reveals the answer: 4724, by 1474 players.

No denying that is a pretty small number.

By comparison Genoa's numbers are 7823 and 2447 respectively, which is still a small sample size..

Players
89 posts
6,761 battles
2 hours ago, Buccaneer1 said:

No

Nachi is !

With all due respect but in what world is ( for all intents and purposes ) an upgraded Myoko considered bad? 

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,120 posts
5,500 battles
5 minutes ago, Blame_RNG said:

With all due respect but in what world is ( for all intents and purposes ) an upgraded Myoko considered bad? 

That is a very good question.

[-LA-]
Players
689 posts
5,171 battles

im surprised Emerald and its magnetic citadel is so highly placed. they nearly always get dogpiled on for the free dev strike

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,120 posts
5,500 battles
20 minutes ago, Padds01 said:

im surprised Emerald and its magnetic citadel is so highly placed. they nearly always get dogpiled on for the free dev strike

Even more surprising given her number of games played and players  (68503 and 10437 respectively)

Players
866 posts
1 hour ago, Aragathor said:

Cheshire says Hi!

I soo agree with that one, I was Traumatised after parting with the cash for that thing, Being Crap Doesn't help mind :Smile_facepalm:

[CELTA]
Players
654 posts
19,124 battles
On 8/23/2020 at 12:02 AM, ColonelPete said:

She is not even the worst on Tier V...

image.thumb.png.bbacb149769c6094297c5747bf892408.png

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20200815/eu_2month/average_ship_u.html

The only way to play her:

• flanking
  • flanking
  • flanking

Omaha, Múrmansk and Marblehead are almost the same ship… and see their stats.

Königsberg, Emile and Furutaka are BY FAR better ships than Genova… and see their stats

Yahagi and Genova are bullsh** and stats are just stats.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
28,191 posts
14,917 battles
54 minutes ago, BielayaSmert said:

Königsberg, Emile and Furutaka are BY FAR better ships than Genova… and see their stats

Yahagi and Genova are bullsh** and stats are just stats.

The influence of different player groups on stats...

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,762 posts
21,196 battles
On 8/23/2020 at 12:02 AM, ColonelPete said:

She is not even the worst on Tier V...

image.thumb.png.bbacb149769c6094297c5747bf892408.png

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/20200815/eu_2month/average_ship_u.html

The only way to play her:

• flanking
  • flanking
  • flanking

Care to explain why you are using the unit based average of the ship? Instead of standard average?

[CATS]
Players
28,191 posts
14,917 battles
9 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Care to explain why you are using the unit based average of the ship? Instead of standard average?

Unit Based entry has more datapoints.

The other variant counts only battles of players with a minimum number of matches in that ship.

avgbased.png

• Cool 2

[-TPF-]
Players
4,245 posts
17,729 battles
11 hours ago, BielayaSmert said:

They're not. Murmansk has all the advantages. Rudder shift, gun range, spotter plane, torpedo range. You can nag BBs to death with that ship in a way that Omaha can't.

On 8/22/2020 at 10:58 PM, Major1999 said:

is the Genova the worst cruiser of WOWS?

How do you play her?

Carefully, like Emerald. Both ships need to be very very circumspect at range and not get involved in gun fights unless you have good cover. But Genova marmalises DDs with SAP, and has strong close range torpedo capabilities, so if you can work a surprise ambush, you can do damage.

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
2 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Carefully, like Emerald. Both ships need to be very very circumspect at range and not get involved in gun fights unless you have good cover. But Genova marmalises DDs with SAP, and has strong close range torpedo capabilities, so if you can work a surprise ambush, you can do damage.

If I consider close range torping, Genova is not really a ship I would consider. Emerald very much. Emerald has a reinforced lower bow that allows it to avoid most bow cits, has 8 torps per side and those do decent damage (over 15k). Genova can be devastated on approach, has 4 torps per side and they do just over 9k damage per torp (-torp protection). One launcher of Emerald torps has enough alpha to oneshot most BBs in its MM spread , both launchers are a guaranteed kill if you don't mess up the aim. Meanwhile launching all four Genova torps at a healthy Viribus Unitis (with its T3 hp pool) will not kill it.

Players
78 posts
2,024 battles

The problem with the ship is the huge citadel but if you angle and stay away from big gun BBs then you should be fine.

[V-I-P]
Players
79 posts
9,810 battles

The main issue with low tier ITA cruisers is that on that tier BBs use extensive armoring basically everywhere , and not yet using the all-or-nothing armor schemes, so the pen you got on SAP is only able to pen a few sections of the enemy ships effectively.

7 minutes ago, ZifTTroll said:

The problem with the ship is the huge citadel but if you angle and stay away from big gun BBs then you should be fine.

As for the cittadel, Omaha Emerald and a lot of other cruisers also have huge unprotected cittadel, so as long as you can kite like you supposed to do with cruisers generally you shouldnt have more issues than with other ships of T5.

The real killer for Genova is the T5 mm, the slow RoF , and the armor schemes of that era, basically you often face significantly better ships from T6-7 , and most BB in your MM range has almost all part of their hull armor over your SAP penetration treshold thus making your fire ineffective.

If you want to make the most out of the Genova than you need to avoid picking fights with BBs and cruisers with superior armament ( thinking of Fiji, Pensacola, Myoko and ship like that) you need to flank and hit your SAP in the side of cruisers or DDs, when you hit the thin side armor of targets like them you will do devastating dmg to them in a single salvo due to your superb SAP base dmg and the fact that you wont ever overpen with it.

All in all you need to play it sneaky and bully the weak .. like a true italian mobster ... and that applies to all of the Italian cruisers maybe save for the Venezia which can basically pick a 1v1 with anyone on its terms due to its armor, mobility and smoke generator.

[SWAMP]
Players
580 posts
3,424 battles
19 hours ago, lafeel said:

By comparison Genoa's numbers are 7823 and 2447 respectively, which is still a small sample size..

I know I'm being the annoying guy here, but - It's not, thats a very large sample size for statistical purposes.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,120 posts
5,500 battles
14 minutes ago, Hirohito said:

I know I'm being the annoying guy here, but - It's not, thats a very large sample size for statistical purposes.

Annoying or not, you're absolutely right. Just compare with the numbers for the Emerald.

18 hours ago, lafeel said:

Even more surprising given her number of games played and players  (68503 and 10437 respectively)

That is a lot more statistically significant.