How to play a Cruiser

7 comments in this topic

Question

[SLU6]
Players
1 post
850 battles

Hello,

I've started playing two days ago, played through TI-IV with the german Destroyers and Cruisers and was pretty fun against the mostly bots.

Then I got to T V with the Königsberg and obiously I understand that playing against humans is vastly different then against bots. But after playing like 15 matches I honestly still have no clue what I'm supposed to do and usually just am totally useless every time. I just get blown up everytime an enemy starts shooting at me often losing 3/4 of my health by one hit (onetime I even got legit oneshot with the first enemy salvo...).

So I try to hang back, let the experienced players take the front and use cover in order to make use of the long range of my guns (got the upgrade) and give a bit of support fire but I get outranged by the battleships anyway and anchoring behind cover waiting for someone to get close enough doesn't seem totally right to me?

And on the other hand I also feel like dont deal damage. Obiously my accuracy is pretty bad as a newcomer but even IF i manage to hit something I don't think I even deal any damage. On the long distance I use the AP Shells but maybe thats wrong? (Although I tried HE Shells and I dont think it really made a difference). I understand there are different parts of ships that take different damage, but damn... I'm usually just glad if I can hit anything at all on a moving and dodging target in 15km distance.

I would be glad if someone had a few tips on how I should play, or on what I should focus. Or maybe I just picked the completely wrong ship to play as a new player? (The Tier VI Nürnberg one doesn't really seem like a real upgrade to me though, basically the same ship with a bit more health)

6 answers to this question

[SM0KE]
Players
6,177 posts
14,684 battles
On 8/21/2020 at 3:50 AM, Filfaere said:

I've started playing two days ago, played through TI-IV with the german Destroyers and Cruisers and was pretty fun against the mostly bots.

First, welcome!

Second, what @ColonelPete said.

Plus, there follow some areas to look at/think about:

• There is a lot to learn in WOWS, and it does take a long time to get good at it (or never really, in my case); unlike a lot of shooters, you need to develop a lot more cunning - fast reflexes alone won't do the job.
  • Watch some YouTube tutorials (iChase is often a good place to start:https://www.youtube.com/user/ichasegaming), although be mindful of the date; the game has changed a lot, especially over the last year or so (CVs/AA in particular), so older films may be of less use.
  • In the game, make sure you have the alternative interface enabled, and make sure the mini-map is as large as practical on your monitor size - situational awareness is arguably the most important thing to develop (alongside an understanding of vision mechanics, although the two are intimately related) in the game.
  • Switch on as many of the range circles on the mini-map as you can process; besides feeding into the all-important vision/awareness game, some of them can provide helpful 'quick-reckoning' aids for estimating distance.
  • Having fettled your mini-map sufficiently, make very sure you use it; better players will spend a lot of their time playing via the mini-map, rather than the main display (although it varies with class/activity etc.).
  • Don't rush up the tiers too fast; it used to be the case that the textbook advice was not to go above T4 until you were consistently achieving a satisfactory WR in most/all classes, however WG have made a pig's ear of the T4 CVs (especially their population) and they currently make the game - arguably - unplayable for new players until they hit about T5. So, I would suggest pausing for a while at T5 for a while, until you've got the hang of all the surface classes, and press on only then. As you go up the tiers, the opposition gets stronger, they often have far better captains than you'll have had a chance to develop yet, and players will be more experienced; so, if you want to avoid getting scragged most of the time, a more dignified rate of progression is advised.
  • Take the time to learn about the various ships in your MM spread (don't forget: when you get to T5 you start facing +2 MM); what are their strengths/weaknesses/weird abilities etc. The wiki (https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships) is a good place to look for this information, as well as for information about game mechanics etc. Besides basic stuff like BBs are huge and armoured, DDs are small and sneaky etc. look out for things like radar (T7 is the first tier that gets it - currently on a few premiums only), and hydro in particular.
  • Play all the ship types; besides keeping the game varied, this is the best way to understand the capabilities and aims of all the ships you'll face in the game e.g. once you've played a few DDs, you'll probably never drive your fatties in a straight line (at constant speed) again!
  • Focus on developing a few good captains, and make sure you understand how the various skills etc. work. A good captain makes a significant difference to a ship's effectiveness, and becomes more and more important as you go up the tiers. Your shorter-term goal is to get to at least ten points (you can buy ready-made ones from the Armory [sic] and earn freebies from various missions and Ops etc.), as that's (for most ships) the soonest that you can unlock CE.. Longer term, you're aiming to get your first 19 pointer (and then more of them); 19 point captains are particularly valuable as all the captain xp they earn can be used to boost any other captain, so speeding up the development of later additions. Your first 19 pointer will make your second faster to achieve, and then the third will be faster still, and so on.. Understand though that the first will take quite a long time to get - the jump from 18 to 19 points needs 300K xp, from memory!
  • Play in divisions (ideally with voice comms) with experienced players, who are happy to provide feedback/teach; you'll find you'll learn a lot faster if someone can point out some more obvious good/bad aspects of your play. Also, stay in the game after getting blown up and watch what other players do (although be aware that many will be an object lesson in what not to do), with a view to learning from them.
  • Join a clan; besides often being a source of division mates and opening up access to some game modes that solo players can't get at, you'll get some useful economic bonuses (assuming their base has been developed to a reasonable degree).

Finally, keep asking questions on here; there are usually plenty of folk around who'll be happy to help.

• Cool 5

[CATS]
Players
28,194 posts
14,917 battles
  • try to stay hidden (cover, distance), when you do not want to get shot at
  • when spotted, try to limit the number of ships that can shoot at you (cover, distance)
  • when getting shot at, try to evade (show a slim profile, change course and speed)
  • when shooting, HE is the save bet and works vs most ships, especially when enemies are angled vs you (show slim profile)
  • AP works against broadside cruiser below 10km (aim at the waterline) and broadside Battleship at longer ranges, when you aim at the superstructure
  • Cool 3

Players
13 posts
12,948 battles

It costs a lot to learn to play with cruise ships !!!
What it says ... @ColonelPete  all correct.
This game does not put learning media.
To learn how to shoot and dodge, I recommend the weekly Tier VI operation with the Nurnberg.
I feel my English, I'm Spanish ...;)
Playing division will speed up your learning ...

• Cool 1

Players
866 posts

I found that very informative there Guys, I wish I'd read that a while back... I do find iChace imho to be about the best CC for information, balanced opinion and honesty as well :Smile_honoring:

Players
571 posts
26,450 battles

Try the Priority Target Skill. A Number will show how many People are aiming at you.

If you manouver hard you can dodge alot of shells.

Battleships can do heavy Damage from pretty much every Angle.

Heavy Cruisers (Guns bigger than 155mm) can also citadell you from every Range if they got a Broadside

Light Cruisers (Guns up to 155mm) need to get very close in order to pen a citadell

Tier 5 is when you no longer have protected Matchmaking so you will meet alot of Veterans in T5, T6 and T7 Ships

Players
555 posts
Am 21.8.2020 um 09:50, Filfaere sagte:

Ich habe vor zwei Tagen angefangen zu spielen, TI-IV mit den deutschen Destroyers und Cruisers durchgespielt und war ziemlich lustig gegen die meisten Bots.

Hello

What did you expect?

With almost 330 battles in 2 days, you cannot achieve the same level of success as players with 1,000, 10,000 or 20,000 battles!

At WoWs every beginner gets a "closed time" of 200 battles in which he can learn the "game mechanics" and gain experience.

Why didn't you use it?

Those who take steps 2 and 3 before step 1 are guaranteed to trip over their own feet.

There are many resources here in the forum that beginners can use. But you also have to want to read it.

My recommendation: .............go back to the Co-oP and thoroughly learn the basics of WoWs that you have missed so far.

Right now you are just the "anvil"! Whether you stay one of them or develop into a "hammer" is up to you!

Best regards

(created with Google Translate)

Sign in to follow this