Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Itwastuesday

Why are secondary builds fun

45 comments in this topic

[SPURD]
Players
619 posts
4,897 battles

You click on somebody and watch your tiny guns go pewpewpew for mostly little damage. It doesn't sound much fun, but it is. Why? 

I have full secondaries memebuild on FdG and I'm having much more fun and even better results than I had with a more normal build. Even changed out the main battery reload booster for secondary armaments modification. The biggest high point of this game for me, right from the get-go was getting black boxes with well-aimed main battery shots, yet this frankly brainless mechanic is so much fun for me. I don't get it!

• Cool 5
  • Funny 5

Players
363 posts
4,073 battles

because aha smol guns go brrrrrrr. And paint red more dakka.

Sometimes being brain dead is relaxing. Not efficient, but relaxing.

• Cool 11
  • Funny 3

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,426 posts
10,977 battles

I agree. It is just ... Like... You know. A lot of action and a lot of happenings, close combat and just the fact that you annoy that guy with it. (That is exactly why I play my Harugomo with 17.5 km range muhahhahahaa - all of those BBs just getting annoyed and frustrated, try to go back, not working, trying to run away, not working...) It is just fun

Small guns go brrrrrrr

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[SLAPP]
Players
1,431 posts
9,025 battles

its mostly fun when some potato dd tries to rush u and u just put secondery's on him and watch him fail :cap_haloween:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[SLAPP]
Players
1,431 posts
9,025 battles
3 minutes ago, Srle_Vigilante said:

This me with my BBs 

you make them deaf? :Smile_trollface:

Hehe but i wish my secondery's shot that fast

[SHAD]
Players
2,962 posts
12,695 battles

Secondaries give bow on battleships something to think about. They cannot just sit there mutually bow tanking as they are slowly melting, the 32mm pen of GK is very nice here.

Enemy battleships can either reverse, run away or do a driveby. 

Secondaries harass destroyers. Even Massachusetts secondaries do not do that much damage as destroyers are constantly changing direction, the AI doesn't anticipate that. Instead the secondaries just give destroyers something to think about so they  have to withdraw or go dark.

Cruisers are penned by German secondaries so also melt quite nicely.

One of my favourite things is that you can engage two targets at once, switching secondary targets to maintain fires. 

Secondary builds in their own way can be effective  but they are effectively a DOT damage system rather than alpha. If you can keep a a large ship within secondary range without receiving too much fire, they are effective.

If you charge in trying to use them and get focused, they are ineffective.

• Cool 2

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
605 posts
5,064 battles

As an Atlanta player I can only say: "more pew pew = more fun!"

Secondary spec is the only manly way to play battleships!

• Cool 9

[THESO]
Players
4,391 posts

Secondaries can get destroyed just like main guns.

Sure they are better protected than AA mounts (that get knocked out by HE), but you have many cruisers spamming AP at broadside upper belt / deck of a BB. That tends to also destroy secondary guns. And then you also have SAP...

I used to run full secondary build on Bismarck / Tirpitz. For years. Sure its fun. But... its situational. If you push in too early, you get melted. If you push in too late, well ... than its just too late.

I also dont like manual secondary module. It basically mutes half of your ship... 

Considering all of the above, I prefer the "tank build". It is by faaaar more consistent build that gives better overall results (even on KM BBs).

• Cool 1

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,728 posts
25,090 battles

to answer op's question: coz it's the manly-man-bb-way :Smile_great::Smile_veryhappy:.... it raises the challenge quite a lot, while one can score better overall as well. simply due to lower ranges the fights take place on, so less room for dodging and alike. on a lower survivability than on a non-sec bb. thus, raising the challenge and the thrill. and in the end, when having like shut down a flank on urself or with a bit of help, while being outnumbered and might even killed b4 end of match, if it's the matchmaking move u gonna know why it's called the manly-man-bb-way.

on a note, on old GK with ifhe my sec shell dmg record is about 100k. that match i did more dmg with secs and fires than with mains (100k+ on em lol) :Smile_great:.... there's still ships around who get eaten up in the blink of an eye so to say y secs, better not do underestimate.

Players
619 posts
1,927 battles

As others have said "Because more dakka!"

Same way as belt fed auto grenade launchers are fun......:cap_cool:

Nothing beats my Full Sec-build Massa for mindless fun..... especially on co-op:cap_rambo:

[HOO]
Players
1,976 posts
3,796 battles
1 hour ago, Itwastuesday said:

You click on somebody and watch your tiny guns go pewpewpew for mostly little damage. It doesn't sound much fun, but it is. Why? 

I have full secondaries memebuild on FdG and I'm having much more fun and even better results than I had with a more normal build. Even changed out the main battery reload booster for secondary armaments modification. The biggest high point of this game for me, right from the get-go was getting black boxes with well-aimed main battery shots, yet this frankly brainless mechanic is so much fun for me. I don't get it!

I wouldn't say secondary is brainless. Far from it. It takes skill to use it and not just yolo in to a wasted death.

• Cool 4

[SHAD]
Players
2,962 posts
12,695 battles
14 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

to answer op's question: coz it's the manly-man-bb-way :Smile_great::Smile_veryhappy:.... it raises the challenge quite a lot, while one can score better overall as well. simply due to lower ranges the fights take place on, so less room for dodging and alike. on a lower survivability than on a non-sec bb. thus, raising the challenge and the thrill. and in the end, when having like shut down a flank on urself or with a bit of help, while being outnumbered and might even killed b4 end of match, if it's the matchmaking move u gonna know why it's called the manly-man-bb-way.

on a note, on old GK with ifhe my sec shell dmg record is about 100k. that match i did more dmg with secs and fires than with mains (100k+ on em lol) :Smile_great:.... there's still ships around who get eaten up in the blink of an eye so to say y secs, better not do underestimate.

When these new big, slow, 32mm armoured USN battleships come out I'll be taking my GK out a lot more :cap_like:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
315 posts
5,207 battles

because it changes the game from only sailing backwards and trying to aim at the dot in the distance knowing that your dispersion makes it pure luck at the range you are at anyway

into a game of careful positioning and getting close enough that it lets your enemy thats dying hear your laughing 

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,186 posts
14,684 battles

The only Correct way to play a BB is manly; the usual 'snipe from long range' approach that one tends to see is the WOWS equivalent to screaming and jumping on a table when a mouse appears.

Besides which, when a chap is tired of dakka, he is tired of life...

• Cool 6
  • Funny 2

Players
573 posts
26,455 battles

Secondaries give you extra Damage and they have a Psychological Effect.

If a Destroyer rushes you and you have just fired your main Guns.

You now have to wait 30  Seconds before you can shoot again. That are 30 Seconds for the DD in wich he do not have to worry about Shells and can just sail in a straight line.

And 30 Seconds in wich a BB can just Watch the aproching DD  but not do anything against him.

But with decent Secondaries things are different. The DD has to worry about all the Shells coming his way. These Shells could break his Tubes or the Engine or the Rudder.

You know you are constantly firing on the DD and the closer he gets the worse it gets for him.

Enemy Battleships might also panic when all those Shells rain on there Ships. Its the same Effect that an Atlanta can have.

The enemy BB tries to run away as fast as possible often show Broadside in the process. 

• Cool 1

[SLAPP]
Players
1,431 posts
9,025 battles

PzlsQC3.png

we need a ship one for this :cap_rambo:

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[NED]
Players
2,103 posts
8,361 battles

Nothing beats that feeling when you take out a maingun with your own mainguns see it getting repaired and then the secondaries start setting fires.

[-QQ-]
Players
95 posts
5,575 battles

You can engage two targets at once, scaring away DD or CA with secondaries while your big guns hit the big boy. Secondary builds get you many more tactical opportunities but that comes at a cost when it comes to facing long range flamethrowers.

• Cool 1

[PISH]
Players
371 posts
3,322 battles

They are fun because they give you the most cinematic BB experiance. Yeah a tank build may be more optimal, but every planetary alignment you get that one game in your Tirpitz where you demolish a flank on your own like a wolf among sheep because of the secondary build and you want to feel that bliss again and again.

Edit: To clarify cinematic its my most vivid memory of the game. Full secondary Sharnhorst on twin brothers. Pushing a Warspite in to torp range while my secondaries were blazing a Yorck all the while the AA was non stop firing at planes. Soundrack was the Raven. That kind of moment is why I keep playing.

• Cool 6

Players
422 posts
2,271 battles
52 minutes ago, lameoll said:

PzlsQC3.png

we need a ship one for this :cap_rambo:

We have a ship for that.

World-Of-Warships-Collaboration-Warhammer-40k-3.jpg

Complete with Captain line of "Torpedoes ahead, inconsequential, press forward with the attack!"

Also Secondaries for the win because:

Because point blank range fisticuffs is the gentle mans way to resolve arguments, bonus points if the blast from your guns firing singes the opponents deck and your crew could throw hand grenades your so close.

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
2 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Dunno. But fun is up to the player. I might as well ask, why is playing Yoshino fun. I hear plenty of people who call it boring, yet watching people just burn down, fail to citpen the angled ship, cruisers getting citadelled at range because they forget it's a supercruiser or people eating 20 km torps that have 2.5 km detection range is kinda fun... to me at least. On the other hand, running full on secondary builds isn't something I typically enjoy much.

[VH]
Players
173 posts
16,886 battles

In ranked they are fun but in random you are burned down before you even get close enough for them to be of any use what so ever

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,944 posts
19,607 battles

Grinded the GK Unique Upgrade in Coop with full IFHE secondary build, it was hilariously fun :cap_haloween:

(and even got the Coop damage record on EU with it - according to wows-numbers)

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this