Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
john1953

Petropavrovsk vs Riga

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
83 posts

Hi. Started a topic last week on my failings with the Riga and my low win rate as against the Tallinn. General view was that the Riga was a difficult ship to play but that the grind to Petropavrovsk was certainly worth it. I am now getting close and need 30K XP. Looking at the bare stats of the Petro in port there does not appear on paper a great difference ( range, reload, turret traverse etc). Someone enlighten me on the benefits of the Petro.

 

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,952 posts
12,885 battles

More armor, less citadel, more AP pen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
162 posts
10,461 battles

And 360 turn on rear turret. Lower siting target overall. 

Petro is like "ultra instinct" Moskva

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[4_0_4]
Players
7,795 posts
14,340 battles

I never liked the Riga, but the Petro is far better for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
307 posts
6,994 battles

Petro is very situational and I suspect has a greater variance in top and bottom performances.

 

The fire chance seems negligible and in a bow on battle against well angled Des Moines, Henri, Hindy she has virtually no chance.....

But,  find a good position and some broadside BBs she can absolutely obliterate their citadels consistently, just be patient, she is not a spammer like Riga can, kind of, be when no broadsides present themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,126 posts
5,512 battles
11 minutes ago, Logan_MountStuart said:

But,  find a good position and some broadside BBs she can absolutely obliterate their citadels consistently, just be patient, she is not a spammer like Riga can, kind of, be when no broadsides present themselves.

Be aware that she can be obliterated right back, if mine managing seven citadels on a one with a Bmore is anything to go by..

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,303 posts
19,066 battles
On 8/18/2020 at 10:01 AM, john1953 said:

Hi. Started a topic last week on my failings with the Riga and my low win rate as against the Tallinn. General view was that the Riga was a difficult ship to play but that the grind to Petropavrovsk was certainly worth it. I am now getting close and need 30K XP. Looking at the bare stats of the Petro in port there does not appear on paper a great difference ( range, reload, turret traverse etc). Someone enlighten me on the benefits of the Petro.

 

Cheers.

Petro guns are biased af. And ofc for some stupid reason wg decided to give her 360 degree turrets. So, hold on there. You wont regret it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
307 posts
6,994 battles
14 hours ago, lafeel said:

Be aware that she can be obliterated right back, if mine managing seven citadels on a one with a Bmore is anything to go by..

Absolutely true, she burns easily and offer broadside to anything with a gun and it disapears.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ZEN]
Players
1,246 posts
13,892 battles
3 hours ago, Logan_MountStuart said:

Absolutely true, she burns easily and offer broadside to anything with a gun and it disapears.

Well a lot harder to obliterate than a Moskva had a situation where I was forced broadside to a Petro in the Moskva at about 17km and could I hit his citadel... no. Could he hit mine... yes. Only at close range will you punish it reliably broadside seeing as it sits as low in the water as a Gearing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KITEN]
Players
141 posts
15,796 battles
10 minutes ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

Well a lot harder to obliterate than a Moskva had a situation where I was forced broadside to a Petro in the Moskva at about 17km and could I hit his citadel... no. Could he hit mine... yes. Only at close range will you punish it reliably broadside seeing as it sits as low in the water as a Gearing...

Well, you need a Slava ...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ZEN]
Players
1,246 posts
13,892 battles
3 hours ago, luokailk said:

Well, you need a Slava ...

Sorry I should have realised the counter to Russian Bias is more Russian Bias... Not getting a Slava as it is bad for the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KITEN]
Players
141 posts
15,796 battles
11 hours ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

Sorry I should have realised the counter to Russian Bias is more Russian Bias... Not getting a Slava as it is bad for the game.

I wonder how many of the actually Slava owners really enjoy playing this ship, or do you regret it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ZEN]
Players
1,246 posts
13,892 battles
8 hours ago, luokailk said:

I wonder how many of the actually Slava owners really enjoy playing this ship, or do you regret it?

All I can say is that they either top the score at the end of the game or they were played completely wrong like that one BOTS player that parked it really far forward on an epicentre match and allowed be to sail round the flank and pop out at 4km behind him in a Agir and citadel the life out of him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SINT]
Players
983 posts
21,802 battles
On 8/18/2020 at 10:10 AM, ColonelPete said:

Rigas AP is strong, but Petras....

206186709_shot-26_06.15_12_25.37-0280Results.thumb.jpg.49479bcb6f72dd1e0ec795613c682d79.jpg

 

I wonder how the “ old” Moskwa compares with these 2 ships.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,126 posts
5,512 battles
4 minutes ago, Jvd2000 said:

I wonder how the “ old” Moskwa compares with these 2 ships.. 

More flexible from what I've seen as she's not as dependent on AP at least..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,222 posts
11,997 battles
1 minute ago, Jvd2000 said:

I wonder how the “ old” Moskwa compares with these 2 ships.. 

Basically the same as Riga.

Przechwytywanie2.png

 

without handicapped HE, long range inaccuracy and concealment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,126 posts
5,512 battles
6 minutes ago, Panocek said:

without handicapped HE, long range inaccuracy and concealment.

I wouldn't exactly call Moskva stealthy.:Smile-_tongue:

 

Although I am pretty sure she has the least vulnerable citadel of the three

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
10,222 posts
11,997 battles
3 minutes ago, lafeel said:

I wouldn't exactly call Moskva stealthy.:Smile-_tongue:

 

Although I am pretty sure she has the least vulnerable citadel of the three

That is why word "without" starts the sentence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
206 posts
8,180 battles

It's funny I just made a post about the Riga being awkard to me but got the usual "git gud" reponse... Tallinn felt decent, Riga I can't get the guns to work, but I know the petropvlovsk have much better pen, less drag, flatter arcs and more damage per shell and she is far tankier. I was hoping the Riga would be an upgrade from the Tallinn but she doesn't feel like it at all. From what I have seen on youtube it will be a significant upgrade...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,126 posts
5,512 battles
6 minutes ago, KapteinSabeltann said:

It's funny I just made a post about the Riga being awkard to me but got the usual "git gud" reponse... Tallinn felt decent, Riga I can't get the guns to work, but I know the petropvlovsk have much better pen, less drag, flatter arcs and more damage per shell and she is far tankier. I was hoping the Riga would be an upgrade from the Tallinn but she doesn't feel like it at all. From what I have seen on youtube it will be a significant upgrade...

For what it's worth, seeing as I am still at the Tallinn myself, I suggest keeping at it. Maybe she will turn into a ship you like even if she's not a love at first sight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SHAD]
Players
2,962 posts
12,695 battles

I really enjoyed Riga. Being able to angle against all battleships besides Shikishima is a nice change. The AP is absolutely perfect for blaping  cruisers at close to mid range. Petro is a fair bit better of course, It’s guns have battleship pen but do not overpen in the same way.

 

The poor HE dpm on both ships make them weak against well angled ships.

This is a necessary weakness to prevent each ship from becoming too strong.

 

Riga is better than Tallin but it does have worse alpha and dpm.

It is stronger as it has far superior armour so it can angle whereas Tallin takes penetrations everywhere from 406mm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
206 posts
8,180 battles
On 8/20/2020 at 11:44 PM, lafeel said:

For what it's worth, seeing as I am still at the Tallinn myself, I suggest keeping at it. Maybe she will turn into a ship you like even if she's not a love at first sight?

This is kinda a late reply. The tallinn is a great ship imho. I just struggled getting into games where I could play around here AP strength in random. In ranked she was able to shine and carried me through with very good winrate - perfect actually until I ended up fighting cv's. Still I finished ranked with a winrate in the high seventies so I'm not complaining. I have tried playing the Riga more and the problem persists: inaccurate guns - it seems the vertical dispersion is such that even on a bb I can't land my salvos - regardless of wether I aim at the waterboard/armour OR the waterline on bbs I get mostly overpens and non-pens, in the Tallinn this was not an issue - aimed correctly the Tallinn WOULD consistently deal ap damage on targets showing side - the Riga just doesn't and my aim didn't magically "git gud" changing ships. To me it just seems like the guns are very inconsistent which makes the grind to the petro just not enjoyable, it's too bad I was really looking forward to that 220mm AP Alpha but short of ONE 12k salvo on a bb it's not happening. Hate the ship.

 

As far as the armour goes yes ofc. However I feel the Tallinn performed better vs 380 AP than the Riga does vs 406 but thats probably psychological - there are some layering differences though. I must say the Tallinn is the king of trolly armour as far as I am concerned. The amount of BB I managed to bounce in that thing was fantastic.

 

From what I get from the answers here it's a mix of "git gud scrub" and "yes the guns are inaccurate" I'm sure I can get better at a lot of things but I'm going to go with guns are "weird" in this case. I actually went for the accuracy module rather than the reload module in an attempt to rectify the issue but I still feel like I'm in the Kawachi when I play that thing.

 

Thats my cents and I'm going to stick to them for now.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×