Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NikolayKuznetsov

Abandoning borderhumpers allowed?

27 comments in this topic

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles

I've started a new 'project' today in which if friendly BBs spawn and the first thing they do is U-turn to potatohump the border, I tell them if you hump that border, I'll switch flanks and let the enemy DD do whatever he wants with you, you'll be blind and you'll eat torpedoes. It's been moderately succesful in so far as some of them change course, some of them get butchered by torpedoes, either way I'm getting complimented.

Question is, is this considered griefing? Am I at fault when I abandon a borderhumping conqueror + GK with an enemy shima -because clearly I know what the result will be- do I have a moral obligation to kill the shima in this scenario and help them in their potato quest? In this specific scenario it was the map with the "No BBs" sign where some BB players tend to go hump the border in D10 for whatever reason, I knew there was a red shima there, I told them if you go there the red shima can have his way with you, they didn't listen, red shima got a double devastating. Is this breaking any rules or is it ok? I am not abandoning the team, I go do DD things on the other flank.

The rules on what is and isn't griefing are somewhat vague.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
5,261 posts

Expect a chat-ban soon.

This type of players cant be bothered with:

- criticism

- suggestions

- game mechanics

- map awareness

- communication

Their purpose is to play regardless of the result and to spend money.

My suggestion is to use them as a bait.

• Cool 5

[SPURD]
Players
1,101 posts
8,656 battles

It's no more griefing than the quest for the next map. But if you do this you're going to be stuck doing it a lot.

• Cool 1

Players
8,575 posts
8 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

It's no more griefing than the quest for the next map. But if you do this you're going to be stuck doing it a lot.

The mythical secret map exit somewhere along the borderline? :Smile_hiding:

I did once end up beyond the border, apparently my ship got sunk right on the border itself so the camera position got stuck outside of it.

• Funny 4

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
4 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

I know, i would be doing it every other game if I did it consistently, the plan is do this when the borderhumping is abnormally stupid, so even more stupid than usual. My reasoning is straightforward, potatoes borderhump because they assume they will live longer, if I tell them I intend to leave them there, blind, eating shima torpedoes, they should understand that living longer is not going to happen. Both the GK and the conqueror in that game did 0 damage as nothing was ever spotted within their range, both died in the 3rd minute to shima torpedowalls. Surely at that point you'd be learning a valuable lesson no?

15 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Expect a chat-ban soon.

Chat ban why? I'm simply stating my intentions, you hump that border, I leave, you'll be blind and you'll eat a load of torps. Isn't chat bans reserved for insults etc?

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
4,599 posts

How about turning the border into a minefield? Like the ones in dunkerque operation?

• Funny 3

[SPURD]
Players
1,101 posts
8,656 battles

Just this game, Musashi and Georgia at A1. Just headed straight to it from B5-6. Now they're alone vs. 6 ships because the ships they abandoned died. 

Battleship players are the worst.

And that was a division? So their pre-game plan is to head as far as possible from everything. Ok? 

• Cool 2

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
4 minutes ago, TheBicentennialman said:

YES report them ASAP

What does that do? The game itself doesn't really do much in terms of teaching valuable lessons.
You hump the border like a potato, you get reported, but your karma is 0 anyway and karma doesn't do anything.
You teamkill, your name is pink for 2 games, big deal.

Community initiatives may have an impact in the sense that the player knows "If I go hump that border to spam HE from 23km in my grosser kurfurst, DDs tend to leave me blind and feed me to the enemy torpedoes" This of course only works if you tell them why you turned away to let them die there.

[SPURD]
Players
1,101 posts
8,656 battles

They'll just blame you though. If they were capable of accepting that they can be at fault, they likely would also be capable of learning and thus wouldn't be borderhumping in the first place.

• Cool 1

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
5 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

Battleship players are the worst.

Not all, in my experience it varies greatly on the ship. Borderhumpers is mostly conqueror and grosser kurfursts, something about those ships is attractive to potatoes, I think it might be the HE on the conqueror and the large healthpool on the GK? An alarming number of GK's have 109.300 HP so they are often running captains with survivability expert (lol)

I don't often see Kremlins do it, I rarely see Yamato's do it and I don't think I have ever seen a Montana do it because that's a far less forgiving BB to play, no overmatch, no troll armor, just 12 accurate guns.

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
3 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

They'll just blame you though. If they were capable of accepting that they can be at fault, they likely would also be capable of learning and thus wouldn't be borderhumping in the first place.

Fair point

[SPURD]
Players
1,101 posts
8,656 battles
1 minute ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Not all, in my experience it varies greatly on the ship. Borderhumpers is mostly conqueror and grosser kurfursts, something about those ships is attractive to potatoes, I think it might be the HE on the conqueror and the large healthpool on the GK? An alarming number of GK's have 109.300 HP so they are often running captains with survivability expert (lol)

I don't often see Kremlins do it, I rarely see Yamato's do it and I don't think I have ever seen a Montana do it because that's a far less forgiving BB to play, no overmatch, no troll armor, just 12 accurate guns.

This is true, and also true for every German battleship for some reason. I'm not sure what about Tirpiz screams "LONG RANGE BORDERHUMP SNIPER" to people. 

[JRM]
Players
8,969 posts
55 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Question is, is this considered griefing?

Does it matter? There are no rules against griefing...

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
613 posts
8,540 battles
31 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

My reasoning is straightforward, potatoes borderhump because they assume they will live longer, if I tell them I intend to leave them there, blind, eating shima torpedoes, they should understand that living longer is not going to happen.

But you will live longer and take less damage if you do a border hug move.

In planes.

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
5 minutes ago, Itwastuesday said:

This is true, and also true for every German battleship for some reason. I'm not sure what about Tirpiz screams "LONG RANGE BORDERHUMP SNIPER" to people. 

Yes, I'm subconsciously developing habits in terms of what ships I support and what ships I do not. I will actively avoid spotting for a GK or a conqueror, it's rarely worth the risk. I will happily spot for a Yamato and especially a Montana. I will happily cap if there's a Des Moines or a Minotaur with me, I won't go near the cap if there's a Moskva or a Petro near me, because I know they'll just hang me out to dry, find an island, sit there and "wait for broadsides" Is it common/normal to be selective and develop a habit in terms of what ships you trust as teammates and what ships you do not?

9 minutes ago, Latouche_Treville said:

Above T6 if they play like that they'll never change.

That's not true, people can learn, I went straight down 3 lines with stacks of camos/signals to get in T10s asap last summer and I was terrible, I was at 44% WR and 600PR. This summer I decided to pick the game back up, take my time with it, watch and read guides, get comfortable in ships before jumping in the next one, my WR jumped from 44% to 57% and my stats doubled last month. Tech trees I ploughed through last summer most ships have under 40% WR, tech trees I went through this summer all of my ships have 50% WR, many have 60% and some have 70% WR.

[BOBS3]
Players
1,018 posts
22,366 battles
5 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

I'm subconsciously developing habits in terms of what ships I support and what ships I do not. I will actively avoid spotting for a GK or a conqueror, it's rarely worth the risk. I will happily spot for a Yamato and especially a Montana. I will happily cap if there's a Des Moines or a Minotaur with me, I won't go near the cap if there's a Moskva or a Petro near me, because I know they'll just hang me out to dry, find an island, sit there and "wait for broadsides" Is it common/normal to be selective and develop a habit in terms of what ships you trust as teammates and what ships you do not?

This is good and definitely not griefing, providing that you can react to situations where the Yamoto hangs you out to dry or where the GK moves forward to tank for the team.

23 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Does it matter? There are no rules against griefing...

I was surprised that there is not any rule about griefing, but yes, provided that you don't do anything deliberately that causes damage to a player on your team, there are nothing in the rules that you are contravening.

1 hour ago, nambr9 said:

Expect a chat-ban soon.

51 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Chat ban why? I'm simply stating my intentions, you hump that border, I leave, you'll be blind and you'll eat a load of torps. Isn't chat bans reserved for insults etc?

Because you will get reported for misuse of chat, and repeated reports will lead to a 24 hour automatic ban that will not check for the contents of the chat.

So you can be as polite as you like but if you announce what you are doing and why, it will almost certainly lead to a ban. 

Also an overly strict interpretation of the game rules could lead to these messages being construed as inappropriate, bullying and the like.

I like what you are doing but it is a dangerous path to try to educate the offenders. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
6,443 posts
23,608 battles
1 hour ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

if friendly BBs spawn and the first thing they do is U-turn to potatohump the border, I tell them if you hump that border, I'll switch flanks and let the enemy DD do whatever he wants with you, you'll be blind and you'll eat torpedoes.

Why do you waste valuable time and energy to type that in chat instead of just sailing away and letting Darwin do the rest?

Those BaBBies won't learn anyway and they probably donb't even notice that the message was meant for them...

Just let them get sunk in peace...

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
8,969 posts
10 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

I was surprised that there is not any rule about griefing, but yes, provided that you don't do anything deliberately that causes damage to a player on your team, there are nothing in the rules that you are contravening.

You can even damage people on your team and unless you are really excessive about it you wont have any real consequences...

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
9 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Why do you waste valuable time and energy to type that in chat instead of just sailing away and letting Darwin do the rest?

Well, if the enemy team has two 38%WR BB mains humping the border and the 38% WR BB mains on my team are at least tanking while they are missing all their shots, my team wins.

avatars-000597831615-6q438f-t500x500.jpg

Players
2,683 posts

As a DD main, I'll F5, if I get no response I'll type "No support, No caps" or "Spotting" if that fails I leave them to it with one message:

"Don't fall off the edge."

Isolated and alone they do attract enemy DD's which can actually benefit the team members who want to play because the enemy DD is distracted.

• Cool 1

Players
1,972 posts
5,228 battles
1 minute ago, Migantium_Mashum said:

Isolated and alone they do attract enemy DD's which can actually benefit the team members who want to play because the enemy DD is distracted.

I had not considered this, excellent point, in my particular example the enemy shimakaze, a good player, was gone for a good few minutes killing our borderhumpers, in that time I took 2 caps. So letting the borderhumpers die to torpedoes on the edge of the map might actually be a net benefit for the team.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1