Flandre Bug Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Inappropriate_noob

Certain ships.....

14 comments in this topic

Players
3,528 posts

In this case the Sinop, just make me feel way more confident, and i do not really know why this is, compare that to the Lenin or the Vladivostok which in all fairness do not, and for some reason, the Soyuz, feels similar to the Sinop where taking the mighty Kremlin out, seems a bit risky, try as I might I simply cannot fathom this out.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Players
312 posts

Russian BBs are OP.  That's all there is to it.  The way the tiers work and the breakpoints for armour and gun calibre and slots and matchmaking means some are better than others, but they're all stand-outs.
Try playing a Lyon and see how the 16 guns do absolutely nothing the vast majority of the time against broadside potatoes, whereas the Sinop's front six wreck everything no matter the angle.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
32 posts
3,090 battles

There is something about the Trento which makes my WoWs experience, enjoyable. Can't quite fathom it.

• Funny 1

Players
519 posts
9,250 battles

Same me with Bismarck. I really hate BBs but with this ship I've great feelings. Very funny to play with

Players
312 posts
Just now, ColonelPete said:

Lyon is one of the strongest Tier VII BB. The firepower is just insane.

I'm genuinely interested in how anyone can make the theoretical potential of that damage live up to its promise; as I am having all the same issues (unsurprisingly) that I had with the Normandie's guns.

How do you stop the guns from richochetting, from over-penning, and from just dropping the shells in the water all around of what you're aiming at?

Because whenever I catch a victim broadside in the Lyon - a victim that would just get dev-striked clean off the map if I were in any other nation's BBs (well, maybe not Italian BBs, which have the same problems) - instead of getting a 20k+ multi-cit death bonanza, I get at best a 10k salvo of maybe one cit, one full pen, one overpen.

A "good" salvo in terms of accuracy on the Lyon is me getting 7 overpens for 6,700hp damage.  That's not firepower that's setting my world ablaze, you know?
And the HE didn't seem to be anything to write home about either – fire chance for 16 guns is disappointing if the shells just miss a lot, and stuff like Sinops don't seem to get penetrated by the HE consistently (although I seem to be starting fires with non-penetrating hits?).

No matter how exposed and potatoey a broadside victim is, the Lyon just refuses to reward me with the dev-strikes I'd expect from any non- French/Italian boat.

[CATS]
Players
29,655 posts
15,312 battles
7 minutes ago, Ace42X said:

How do you stop the guns from richochetting, from over-penning, and from just dropping the shells in the water all around of what you're aiming at?

Right target selection. Look for broadsides or 19mm bows. The rest is aim.

Spoiler

• Bad 1

Players
312 posts
43 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Right target selection. Look for broadsides or 19mm bows. The rest is aim.

Surely this is no different to how you'd use the New Mexico's guns, which (while pretty far from my favourite guns in the game) I had no real problem using, compared to Normandies which simply wouldn't put enough shells on target when it counted?

Thanks for sharing the vids though, was reassuring seeing all those 3k salvoes and 6x Overpen salvoes and realising it's not just me.

Players
3,528 posts
2 hours ago, _Lupastro_ said:

Same me with Bismarck. I really hate BBs but with this ship I've great feelings. Very funny to play with

I have a love hate relationship with the Bismarck and only like the Tirpitz a bit better, those secondaries give you massive over confidence (well me anyway:Smile_veryhappy:) so off I go charging in like a bull, guns blazing in all directions, but most of the time I forget to check my six, and the team i thought were behind have gone elsewhere, still must be a bit of a giggle for the red team X:D

Players
785 posts
On 8/10/2020 at 5:55 PM, Inappropriate_noob said:

the Sinop, just make me feel way more confident, and i do not really know why this is...

SinOp.thumb.jpg.9765a8374da88dccdf2b661773eb15de.jpg

I did 53.600 to this reversing Sinop, my mate in Minsk did 26.000 and another mate did 12.000 in Fiji.

We were supported by New Mexico and Nagato, but I dont know how much they did to it.

Sinop was supported by New York, Queen Elizabeth and New Orleans. After sinking the Sinop we had lost our Nagato and Fiji was down to 3k hp. We didint really shoot any other ships but New Orleans was shot to 50% hp.

Sinop was piloted by Kutzensvos(???).

"Strong" ships sure give you more confidence than balanced ones.

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Players
805 posts
2,665 battles

Dallas, Cleveland, Furutaka, Aoba, Myoko, Haida, Pensacola (to my surprise), Benson, Kidd, Dunkerque.

From feeling that I just could not get cruisers they're currently some of my favourite ships. Haifa's concealment is just amazing, and yeah, Benson and Kidd are just comfortable. Certain ships click with certain people, I guess.

Players
1,017 posts
3,477 battles
On 8/11/2020 at 3:05 AM, Ace42X said:

I'm genuinely interested in how anyone can make the theoretical potential of that damage live up to its promise; as I am having all the same issues (unsurprisingly) that I had with the Normandie's guns.

Because whenever I catch a victim broadside in the Lyon - a victim that would just get dev-striked clean off the map if I were in any other nation's BBs (well, maybe not Italian BBs, which have the same problems) - instead of getting a 20k+ multi-cit death bonanza, I get at best a 10k salvo of maybe one cit, one full pen, one overpen.

A "good" salvo in terms of accuracy on the Lyon is me getting 7 overpens for 6,700hp damage.  That's not firepower that's setting my world ablaze, you know?
And the HE didn't seem to be anything to write home about either – fire chance for 16 guns is disappointing if the shells just miss a lot, and stuff like Sinops don't seem to get penetrated by the HE consistently (although I seem to be starting fires with non-penetrating hits?).

No matter how exposed and potatoey a broadside victim is, the Lyon just refuses to reward me with the dev-strikes I'd expect from any non- French/Italian boat.

it's because RNG is being manipulated in the game to "balance" ships.

the shells occasionally do not fly straight where you are aiming at.

I noticed this several times. sometimes I grossly misaim, but my shells hit the target anyway. same as in WoT, there is an invisible hand that either prevents the shells from hitting or guides the shells into the target.

You will also notice in the game, that you will score more hits and do more damage by approximatively aiming and firing than if you hold your fire and only fire carefully aimed shots. Of course, aiming carefully helps, but the most important is to keep firing, the system will make you score hits even if you misaim by a ship's length.