Flandre Bug Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
JamesAdored

Detection questions

16 comments in this topic

[SOSIG]
Players
6 posts

It's a shame that my first post on these forums, is in such a negative light but I have to know;

Is there some kind of disconnect between the "OMG YOU'RE SPOTTED" Icon, and Actually being spotted? I don't know about anyone else, but after losing detection and changing course, I'm STILL being nailed by ships that shouldn't be able to see me. I'd really like to know if this is actually going on, because every time it happens, I'm getting more and more to the point where this game is no longer playable.

I'd understand it if I were sailing in a straight line and people were guessing where I might be, but after changing course about 30 degrees in any given direction and heading off out of sight? There's no reasonable explanation for why they'd bother to fire at such a sharp angle, and yet nail me like they have me locked on.

Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

They dont see you anymore but can still make a guess. You can get very good with shots like that.

Also remember flight time. Somebody may have shot you when spoteed and shells reach you long after you went dark.

• Cool 4

Players
2,686 posts
11,390 battles

You can see if a ship is turning away or travelling in a straight line. So people just adjust their shots accordingly.

Lol there were also occasions where i only shot just as the enemy disappeared, even though i was locked on to them.

[SOSIG]
Players
6 posts

In the past few days, i've noticed some very odd going's on with the game, this is just one of them. Yesterday in the Odin, I torpedoed the new T9 German battleship, sank it...and about 3 seconds after it exploded, it's broadside fired and chunked a fair portion of my health away, today in the minotaur, about 10 seconds after losing detection, I get nailed by two separate ships I can't even see (which also can't see me), despite the fact that i'd altered course After losing detection. 

As i said above, I understand the whole sailing in a straight line thing, but some of these events are just getting out of hand. I can't show you the replay for the Odin, but i can show you the replay for the Minotaur. Heck, I've sank enough ships that i couldn't see or lock onto, in smoke clouds or peeking out from behind islands, but this particular case, I had two ships firing at me after i'd lost detection and both were nailing me like they could see me, I don't change course until after detection drops, so there's little to no chance they could see me changing direction. It's visible in the replay even.  I say that it looked like they had lock-on, because the grouping was tight. It wasn't the random spray that comes from firing your guns without a lock-on, not only that, but it's multiple salvos. If it was just one or two lucky shots, I'd totally understand it, but it's repeated salvos, after losing detection.

Edit: That last is the reason why i'm asking if there's a disconnect on the icon. If there is, I can understand why they're so accurate, if i think i'm safe and clear but in reality i'm not. If there isn't a disconnect, then other questions should be raised.

Players
706 posts
7,353 battles

It could be lag, I guess, but my bet would be:

1. Flight time of shells.

2. People guessing correctly.

To the second point, just a note. I am a pretty crap player, but 75% of the time, cruisers will turn away from the shells. Just adjust the aim and $$. Even I get it right sometimes.

• Cool 3

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
20,052 battles

Please bear in mind that shots that are fired without a target lock have worse dispersion than a salvo fired with a target lock. This includes people blind firing at ships that are no longer detected. Thus that final salvo will land on a greater area than the closely targeted area.

So a salvo fired on a guess is more likely to score at least a single hit, but less likely to land a full salvo.

So even if you make a change of course it needs to be a radical and unpredictable one to avoid being in a predictable area with a decent chance of landing a hit. If the ship shooting is a Lyon, Bismarck or something similar then their dispersion could easily account for a hit on a blind shot with you taking a 30° course change. 

You don't tell us what ships that managed to land a shell(s) on your Mino but as all RN CL drivers know, often it only takes a single unlucky hit to ruin your day and possibly send you back to port.

To answer your specific question, no I am not aware of any disconnect between detection and the detected icons.

Additionally I have not seen any indication of any disconnect, other than the occasional lag which is annoying. 

[CATS]
Players
29,635 posts
15,312 battles
  • shell flight times can be well above 10s, that means shells comming at you during that time after going dark can be perfectly aimed
  • guessing can add 1 to 3s to that, overall you are not save for around 20s after going dark

[SOSIG]
Players
6 posts
1 hour ago, Cambera_1 said:

Please bear in mind that shots that are fired without a target lock have worse dispersion than a salvo fired with a target lock. This includes people blind firing at ships that are no longer detected. Thus that final salvo will land on a greater area than the closely targeted area.

I'm aware, The shots that fell on me did so in tight grouping, which is what tells me they had lock-on when fired. I did mention that in my whine-fest second post above. The fact is, I moved the ship to port after losing detection yet this tightly grouped salvo fell on my ship twice, in a position that they had no reason to suspect i'd ever moved too. You are safe after losing detection and veering off course to throw off any "last known" shells. the position where I was "last known" from the moment I lost detection, and the area that i would have sailed too if i were going in a straight line, was nowhere near where I was, yet the tightly grouped shots still struck me amidships, so either the people firing the salvos over-aimed and got insanely lucky (twice), or there's something else going on.

Anywho, I don't need any of this explained too me, my question is, does anyone know if there's a disconnect going on with that indicator? has anyone heard anything?

[CATS]
Players
29,635 posts
15,312 battles
38 minutes ago, JamesAdored said:

my question is, does anyone know if there's a disconnect going on with that indicator? has anyone heard anything?

The look-on is valid for around 0.5s when a target vanishes.

[-HUN-]
[-HUN-]
Players
1,593 posts
11,364 battles

Hey man.

Depending on ship/shell/distance it is possible you will get nailed a lot later you disappeared. For example if a slow shell BB from far away shot you just before you went dark it is possible for the shells to arrive like 15-20 seconds later. Also people like to take pot shots like 3-5 seconds later you disappeared because why not? I have myself also achieved a lot like this. So in that case it is possible that you went dark and the sehlls arrive like 25 seconds later.

Also if you are shooting from smoke with a fast firing ship it is possible to take so nice pot shots that even I sometimes want to say cheater (in the heat of the battle).

So yeah. Remember the number 1 rule: WASD-hack. (Even though it is possible that some BBs still wreck you due to them having terrible Sigma and/or dispersion)

[NWP]
Players
1,434 posts
12,219 battles
5 hours ago, JamesAdored said:

Is there some kind of disconnect between the "OMG YOU'RE SPOTTED" Icon, and Actually being spotted? I don't know about anyone else, but after losing detection and changing course, I'm STILL being nailed by ships that shouldn't be able to see me. I'd really like to know if this is actually going on,

2 hours ago, JamesAdored said:

Anywho, I don't need any of this explained too me, my question is, does anyone know if there's a disconnect going on with that indicator? has anyone heard anything?

No, there is no disconnect.

Since you already know the mechanics as you said this is the only answer I can give you.

Detection works just fine, I can tell you that as a DD player

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
95 posts
5,996 battles

As far as I'm aware, you go invisible the moment the icon vanishes. I know that if you get spotted you stay visible for at least one or two seconds (can't remember accurately) regardless of whether you already lose line of sight in that time or not, but during that time you should still see the "detected" icon.

I have the habit of leading for a straight course when I'm taking sniper salvos at cruisers in a BB, but there are people who factor in course changes, and as somebody said above, cruisers usually turn away, so there's that.

As for the zombie salvo from a deceased Pommern: Sounds very much like lag to me. Lag does funny things.

Players
231 posts
4,974 battles

I noticed strange things going on with the detection as well.

I've been playing the game long enough to notice a difference.

Being shot at and hit by enemies long after I went dark. To and extend that goes beyond blind shots and guess work.

I was even considering starting a thread about this, cause I found this annoying and concerning.

There was an incident where a DD in smoke, who could'nt see me because there was no team mate of his to spot me, was still seeing and firing at me for several seconds. I confirmed this by chatting with him ingame. He found it odd too.

This now confirms me feeling.

• Bad 1

[SOSIG]
Players
6 posts

Interesting, that's rather how I felt with my instance in the Minotaur too. I knew enough time had passed, that i should have been safe, especially given my un-seen course changes, yet they nailed me anyhow.

• Bad 1

Sign in to follow this