Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
LiveWire___

Roma / Amagi for the ranked win

19 comments in this topic

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
624 posts
3,793 battles

Historically, I have not been great at playing either of the above ships. 

Recently, however, they have both "clicked" for me, and I am now finding them to be immensely powerful ships, especially for Ranked battles.

Roma has won through for me both in the last Ranked sprint, in which I hit rank 1 with her (and a nice 60% W/R), and in this one, in which I've hit rank 10 (while preserving said 60% W/R). I am finding that when correctly angled, Roma's armour will bounce pretty much anything.

An example of this was in a recent game where I was the sole survivor in my team, against a Bismarck, a Tirpitz, and a N Carolina. Knowing that there was no hope of facing down all three, I turned away and angled, hitting them when I could. The ship duly bounced absolutely everything, including a constant barrage of Bismarck's secondaries. My team got the win on points. I think I might have the replay somewhere. I will post it if I do.

Her guns are downright frightening on the smaller maps, where, if positioned correctly, she can (and does) delete pretty much any ships which give her even a hint of broadside. Her speed, manoeuvrability and stealth give her a hard edge to fight against.

Amagi likewise; her heavy, powerful armament, decent armour (coupled with that huge torpedo bulge which can prove a lifesaver), and speed allow her to dictate engagements even more so than I have found possible in my Massachusetts.

I'm very pleased with both ships. 

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
624 posts
3,793 battles

So I found the folder in which the reply lives.

Viewed it.

What is the best way to upload it to this site so that it's viewable in the post window?

[BHSFL]
Players
3,363 posts

I know Roma has nice long range thick BB armour penetrating shells. That seems by reputation unable to citadel Cruisers because they always overpenetrate them. :Smile_teethhappy:

Italian 90 mm secondaries are worst in the game though. Can't even penetrate 19 mm DD hulls even with IFHE. If secondaries have trouble damaging  DD they become truely useless.

[KAKE]
Players
2,519 posts
5,938 battles
57 minutes ago, LiveWire___ said:

What is the best way to upload it to this site so that it's viewable in the post window?

If you want to actually play it like a video, you have to capture it yourself and then and upload it to youtube or similar (the forum auto-embeds youtube links).

If you just want to attach the replay file so others can download it, you can just drop the file into the attachment field in the forum editor

wargaming_forum_attachments.PNG.f31f281bcaff90770250ed1007c897b5.PNG

• Cool 1

[GJE]
Players
195 posts
3,220 battles
38 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

I know Roma has nice long range thick armour penetrating shells. That seem by reputation unable to citadel Cruisers because they always overpenetrate them. :Smile_teethhappy:

90 mm secondaries are worst in the game though. Can't even penetrate 19 mm DD hulls even with IFHE.

Roma has 12 x 152mm secondaries, 90mm are AA weapons...

Players
1,405 posts
6,601 battles

You won't find much luck with Roma in the competitive games below rank5. It can be fun above rank10.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,710 posts
5,256 battles
46 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

I know Roma has nice long range thick BB armour penetrating shells. That seems by reputation unable to citadel Cruisers because they always overpenetrate them. :Smile_teethhappy:

Italian 90 mm secondaries are worst in the game though. Can't even penetrate 19 mm DD hulls even with IFHE. If secondaries have trouble damaging  DD they become truely useless.

Don't forget very good stealth, and outstanding agility.

No denying her secondaries are pretty much useless however.

7 minutes ago, dommo77 said:

Roma has 12 x 152mm secondaries, 90mm are AA weapons...

Four triple turrets, on the corners of the superstructure in fact. Still doesn't change the fact you shouldn't rely on her secondaries.

[GJE]
Players
195 posts
3,220 battles
27 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Don't forget very good stealth, and outstanding agility.

No denying her secondaries are pretty much useless however.

Four triple turrets, on the corners of the superstructure in fact. Still doesn't change the fact you shouldn't rely on her secondaries.

Never said they are any good, just that Roma's secondaries consist not only of 90mm guns :) 

But I agree secondary build would be waste of potential in her case - reload, penetration, range - all crap. 

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,710 posts
5,256 battles
12 minutes ago, dommo77 said:

Never said they are any good, just that Roma's secondaries consist not only of 90mm guns :) 

But I agree secondary build would be waste of potential in her case - reload, penetration, range - all crap. 

While a straight up stealth/survival build would be playing directly to her strengths instead of trying to fix her weaknesses.

[GJE]
Players
195 posts
3,220 battles
1 hour ago, lafeel said:

While a straight up stealth/survival build would be playing directly to her strengths instead of trying to fix her weaknesses.

I guess that's the way to go in competitive mode, like I wrote - secondary build doesn't fit her, even for fun. I don't own the ship, I wish I was :)

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,710 posts
5,256 battles
8 minutes ago, dommo77 said:

I guess that's the way to go in competitive mode, like I wrote - secondary build doesn't fit her, even for fun. I don't own the ship, I wish I was :)

I have two of them, which speaks to how much I like her tbh.

I'm not saying she's perfect, but those 381mm guns can hurt any ship it can meet.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,363 posts
26 minutes ago, dommo77 said:

like I wrote - secondary build doesn't fit her, even for fun.

For me it is the only BB i can accept that....18 mm pen at Tier VIII+....it's just wrong.

What historical existing BB had secondary batteries that were supposed to defend it from fast and small targets that failed to do so ???

[BHSFL]
Players
3,363 posts

I took Roma for a spin after this topic.....unintentionally ended up in the wrong mode.....but it does have some amazing qualities it seems :Smile_teethhappy:

Since i don't run anti fire or other useless "survivability" builds :  took 51 HE shells for a whopping 813 fire damage :Smile_teethhappy::Smile_teethhappy:

wows 67.jpg

• Boring 1

[-AP-]
Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles
3 hours ago, Ocsimano18 said:

You won't find much luck with Roma in the competitive games below rank5. It can be fun above rank10.

This!

I dont have roma but fighting against it I hust dont see it working rank 5-1.

I stopped using the Amagi at same ranks because it doesnt have the AA to fight against CV's and is soooo long that it always takes all the torpedoes. Its fire power is nice but in order to yield it you have to show too much broadside and any mass/vlad player that is any good will just hold his fire until you are ready to fire. 

Rank 5-1 is a different animal, I myself switched from Baltimore/Benson/Tirpitz to just Atago (Arp Takao in my case) because it offers the best package overall. (High alpha volleys especially against DD's and the ability to take down BB's, Baltimore is weak in this regard imo) 

• Cool 1

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
624 posts
3,793 battles
6 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

I don't bother with a secondary build with Roma. You're right. Those 90mm guns are only good for scaring seagulls away, to prevent them from crapping on the Captain's hat.

Her power is ALL in her main battery. Which, I have found, is well founded. I have found that her main battery is capable of putting the hurt on even the mighty Yamato.

I am very, very pleased.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,363 posts
Just now, LiveWire___ said:

I don't bother with a secondary build with Roma. You're right. Those 90mm guns are only good for scaring seagulls away, to prevent them from crapping on the Captain's hat.

Her power is ALL in her main battery. Which, I have found, is well founded. I have found that her main battery is capable of putting the hurt on even the mighty Yamato.

I am very, very pleased.

Properly angled i heard " Binnng....binggg......boingg...bingggg" to my amusement while it were a Vladivostok and Gneisenau shooting at me.

I love the new sounds.....and the Roma is pretty ok too. :Smile_honoring:

[PISH]
Players
369 posts
3,065 battles

The only thing keeping her from establishing a new glorious golden age of Pax Romana is the accuracy. Its the only thing saving angled cruisers from destruction.

[ELEC]
[ELEC]
Players
624 posts
3,793 battles
5 minutes ago, Bratoev said:

The only thing keeping her from establishing a new glorious golden age of Pax Romana is the accuracy. Its the only thing saving angled cruisers from destruction.

I tend to sail to within circa 15k to fire, then angle back out. 

Angle in for another shot, then angle out again.

Accuracy is pretty good at that range, and I am constantly amazed by the amount of broadside players will give her. 

She is capable of citadelling anything, which people seem to forget / disregard all the time. 

Sign in to follow this