Flandre Bug Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
159Hunter

KM CV aiming and flak

18 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Players
3,372 posts
17,633 battles

Quick question for all of you KM CV players out there.

Pretty often, when engaging with my AP rockets, I loose track of the aiming reticle due to flak. The flak seems to completely obscure the reticle, making the aiming more like a guessing contest.

Anyone else had this 'issue'? And if so, have you found a way around it (answer: don't play them is not what I'm looking for :Smile_hiding:)

• Cool 5

Beta Tester
351 posts
7,381 battles
10 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

Pretty often, when engaging with my AP rockets, I loose track of the aiming reticle due to flak. The flak seems to completely obscure the reticle, making the aiming more like a guessing contest.

Anyone else had this 'issue'? And if so, have you found a way around it (answer: don't play them is not what I'm looking for :Smile_hiding:)

Flaks, Water splashes. The visibility of rocket & bomber reticule can be very poor. When the enemy BB is burning there is so much smoke that you cant see the bb under it anymore from the high angle.

No way around it either.

• Cool 1

[RODS]
Players
1,677 posts
7,760 battles
38 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

Everyone knows that German engineering and optics were/are rubbish :Smile_trollface:

Solution <-> Dont play CV:s

Seriously tho, I think that Aslains modpack contains crosshairs for squadrons and ability yo use high contrast colours

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-TPF-]
Players
4,468 posts
18,502 battles

Reticle visibility is awful. I've raised it with Mr Conway but he seemed to think it was working as intended, which probably says something about the nature of these AP rockets and how they're proposing to balance them. No-one should have to install mods or switch off graphic options to be able to see where they are aiming, ffs. 

Overall I've found the German CV I have (Rhein) to be really annoying to play... I hope the Weser is better!

• Cool 3

[JRM]
Players
7,475 posts

TBH if there is so much crud around you cant see the recticle maybe its best not to drop that target, that said it is annoying that you cant choise crosshair color...

[THESO]
Players
968 posts
9,172 battles
33 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

.. I hope the Weser is better!

Spoiler!!!!

It is not 😊

• Funny 3

[NWP]
Players
3,372 posts
17,633 battles
28 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

TBH if there is so much crud around you cant see the recticle maybe its best not to drop that target, that said it is annoying that you cant choise crosshair color...

Well, the crud is not the issue, you can dodge that. Not seeing the reticle is annoying. Now, if that's the balance they want to achieve...

36 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

I hope the Weser is better!

I was talking about Weser :D

[JRM]
Players
7,475 posts
20 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

Well, the crud is not the issue, you can dodge that. Not seeing the reticle is annoying. Now, if that's the balance they want to achieve...

I learned some time ago its best to just accept you need to use some mods to get stuff that should be basic functionality in game this old, cuts down on frustration...

• Cool 1

Players
474 posts
2,497 battles
2 hours ago, Kenjiro_ said:

Spoiler!!!!

It is not 😊

This..

The Tier 8 one however is actually really good. mainly because it has the tools to do it's job unlike the Weser who is a poor mans Ryuju with half the teeth and twice the effort involved due to the decent (about Ryujo plane) speed but fragile aircraft with no heals, poor torpedo damage and unreliable AP bombs which are overworked due to the lack of decent torpedoes.

Weser would actually work if either:

A) the torpedoes  had the same drop pattern as the British with a converging pattern rather than a spreading one. Mainly because as you only get two torpedoes per drop the spreading pattern causes them to be at an angle that means upon reaching arming distance after any slight twitch of the aircraft on the bombing run will result in the torpedoes being conveniently DD length apart making landing more than one on a DD to be harder than it should be even if the DD doesn't pull evasive maneuvers.

B) You had a three x three squadron layout instead of the two x four we currently get.

But that's just my take on her.

• Cool 1

[-LA-]
Players
699 posts
5,350 battles

not only does the flak shot at you obscure the target from behind the aircraft i also find with the dive bombers you have the choice of looking at the flak or the reticle making aproaches a bit interesting

• Cool 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,701 posts
20,987 battles

Frankly?

Memorize and shoot with "feeling" rather than relying on the reticle if flak obscures your vision. Really nothing you can do beyond that.

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,959 posts
22,023 battles

I find the reticle placement on both DBs and attack planes to be counterproductive for KM CVs.

The former require you to either dodge flak or aim, and the latter can be too easily obscured.

But the worst part is that out of all CV lines I like them the most.

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,959 posts
22,023 battles
45 minutes ago, arquata2019 said:

too hard to aim?  counterproductive is a word i don't know in english

No, the aiming reticles are not too hard to aim. But their location has a counterproductive effect, as in leading to an opposite effect to the desired one.

The DB reticle is almost vertically below the flight, which means that you either look up to dodge flak or look down to aim.

The attack plane reticle, besides erratic behavior, also is placed so that it can be rendered completely invisible by flak.

Players
322 posts
On 8/2/2020 at 9:20 AM, 159Hunter said:

There is a long forgotten topic on this forum where forum members could post Carrier suggestions. In fact I suggested a solution to reduce the visual effects of AA/Flak Black Smoke Clouds in that very topic in July 2019, in other words well over a year ago:

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/120282-cv-rework-suggestions/?do=findComment&comment=3075183

Alas few forum members ever posted constructive suggestions in that topic. That is not all that surprising however because most - if not all - constructive suggestions that have been posted on the EU and NA forum by highly skilled, skilled and lesser skilled players are ignored by the WOWS Development team, despite the often repeated claims to the contrary by WOWS representatives on the forums. None of the suggestions offered in that Carrier suggestions topic to my knowledge have ever been used by the WOWS Development team.

So yes this AA/Flak Black Smoke Clouds issue is known and - other than guessing where the target is going to be in a few seconds from now when you can no longer see the target due to the AA/Flak Black Smoke Clouds - there is no in-game solution that I am aware of.

There is a possible out-of-game solution however in the form modding. What should be possible is find the particle file in which the AA/Flak Black Smoke Clouds is stored and then alter that to make the AA/Flak Black Smoke Clouds more transparent.

I for example once removed snow flakes from the particle file because they bothered me in the Hamburg port because it used to snow in that port the whole year through. At the time the particle file was constantly being changed, so with almost every new WOWS version I had to find the new location of the snow flake in the particle file and then mod it again. I assume that it will be no different with the AA/Flak Black Smoke Clouds in the particle file.

But if you are willing to invest time in it, then this is probably the only viable solution.

To me what is even worse than the AA/Flak Black Smoke Clouds is a full broadside salvo from a Battleship or Heavy Cruiser in the last second or so of a rocket or bomb attack, especially in GRAF ZEPPELIN. Such a salvo obscures the reticle on the target even more for me than the AA/Flak Black Smoke Clouds do.

Players
1,029 posts
On 8/2/2020 at 9:38 AM, invicta2012 said:

Reticle visibility is awful. I've raised it with Mr Conway but he seemed to think it was working as intended, which probably says something about the nature of these AP rockets and how they're proposing to balance them. No-one should have to install mods or switch off graphic options to be able to see where they are aiming, ffs. 

Overall I've found the German CV I have (Rhein) to be really annoying to play... I hope the Weser is better!

I think I remember seeing that post, but did he confirm whether it was just for German carriers or the whole lot? Have to admit I've found myself losing the rocket- and torpedo-aiming reticles fairly frequently in-game, which as you say is a joke; the whole point of a Graphical User Interface is to help the User Interface with things via Graphics, I would have thought. The UI should be a layer on top of the gameplay, losing UI elements behind game graphics is ridiculous...

For what it's worth incidentally, my half-dozen games in the Weser for purposes of permaflage grinding were just about exactly as frustrating as my half-dozen games in the Rhein for same, although the Weser has Bf 109s (E-for-Emil variant) so that's a nice feature if you're a history buff ;)

Sign in to follow this