Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Pappus

Looking for a ship like the Gaede

30 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
300 posts
5,819 battles

When I first unlocked the km DD line I had great fun, but the higher I got the less fun I had, because the initial big caliber gun design was abolished. Yes the z-52 still has is kinda high, but it is still lower than the gaede and looking through all the tech trees I couldn't find a "high tier" gaede, cause I don't like playing low tier.

Any pointers? I am also not sure why such a switcheroo happens in the km dd line. I find it inadequate, cause it hasn't happened like that anywhere else (at least what I unlocked so far so I don't know all of them)

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,466 posts
19,635 battles
15 minutes ago, Pappus said:

When I first unlocked the km DD line I had great fun, but the higher I got the less fun I had, because the initial big caliber gun design was abolished. Yes the z-52 still has is kinda high, but it is still lower than the gaede and looking through all the tech trees I couldn't find a "high tier" gaede, cause I don't like playing low tier.

Any pointers? I am also not sure why such a switcheroo happens in the km dd line. I find it inadequate, cause it hasn't happened like that anywhere else (at least what I unlocked so far so I don't know all of them)

Both the T8 Z-23 and T7 Z-39 have 150mm guns. You need to research the guns on the Z-23 though to switch to the higher caliber.

Also the whole French DD line has 139mm guns which are quite punchy.

Beta Tester
300 posts
5,819 battles
1 minute ago, Aragathor said:

Both the T8 Z-23 and T7 Z-39 have 150mm guns.

Also the whole French DD line has 139mm guns which are quite punchy.

are they enough to cit cruisers at that tier?

Cause with the gaede you can

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,466 posts
19,635 battles
1 minute ago, Pappus said:

All three DDs have the same 150mm guns. So at T8 there might be a bit of struggle with heavily armored cruisers.

Players
9,829 posts
11,528 battles
19 minutes ago, Pappus said:

Even Germans realized 15cm guns on a DD isn't exactly the best idea and reverted back to 128mm guns.

Still, Z-23 would be your "high tier Gaede", alternatively premium Z-39.

From hard hitting guns on a DD - IJN destroyers with 127mm guns, so entire torpedoboat line for example. These guns fire shells with the same damage as German 15cm.

For scoring cits on cruisers - hightier French 139mm. These guns were artificially boosted in penetration to make new and fancy holes in cruiser citadels.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
6,278 posts
24,145 battles
9 minutes ago, Pappus said:

Russian 130 and french 139 can cit CLs yes, some CAs as well (bar the submerged citadel or turtleback is in play) but reliably not so much as at low tiers

Beta Tester
300 posts
5,819 battles

Thanks for all the responses. I can't quite get myself to play a frenchie ship. I would naturally feel like a deserter so I will check out the russian one.

Players
9,829 posts
11,528 battles
1 minute ago, Pappus said:

Thanks for all the responses. I can't quite get myself to play a frenchie ship. I would naturally feel like a deserter so I will check out the russian one.

While RU 130mm guns are pretty good, they aren't good enough to penetrate cruiser citadels outside "way closer than you want" distance. And then RU gunboat line (main branch) is completely powercrept by french on hightiers.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
300 posts
5,819 battles
13 minutes ago, Panocek said:

While RU 130mm guns are pretty good, they aren't good enough to penetrate cruiser citadels outside "way closer than you want" distance. And then RU gunboat line (main branch) is completely powercrept by french on hightiers.

UFF you are making this hard for me. I guess time to ask some history people to draw forth some 280 mm DD destroyer papers

Players
565 posts

I reset my French DD line a couple of weeks ago. When the line was released I was one of those lucky ones that got Mogador from the first random bundle and had very little contact for the lower ships of that line. ATM Ive reach the T7 one and I can say that I have enjoyed playing the ships that came before that. They will absolutely wreck any DD that you manage to surprise and can CIT CLs at close to mid ranges.

*edit

Once you get your fix on that enemy DD just pop the Main Battery Reload Booster and its "Bye bye" to the enemy.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
6,278 posts
24,145 battles

Only real drawback IMHO on mid tier french DDs is slow shell speed making long range sheeling not a fun thing, on the other hand they do have sufftient range without taking AFT so you can slap RPF and IFHE on them making them good for chasing down other DDs as well as wrecking cruisers as the say Guepard has 28mm HE pen and it will crack most cruisers plate easily...

• Cool 1

Players
9,829 posts
11,528 battles
23 minutes ago, Pappus said:

UFF you are making this hard for me. I guess time to ask some history people to draw forth some 280 mm DD destroyer papers

No, "big gun DD" is concept even Bussian Rias can't provide.

Technically, USN experimented with destroyers armed with single autoloading 203mm gun on USS Hull but it didn't went far

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8"/55_caliber_Mark_71_gun

[U69]
[U69]
Players
175 posts

Why would you be looking for any other ship than Gaede? Yeah, I'm just waiting for the return of my U-69, but in the meantime she is my only ship (not counting the made-up CV that was forced upon me and will be sold asap), and she is doing pretty well. No need to advance, really. T6 is the best tier in any respect.

shot-20.08.02_08.02.43-0809.jpg

[LUZ1]
Players
572 posts
11,209 battles
1 hour ago, Pappus said:

Cleveland

Chapayev

Minotaur

:cap_cool:

Players
9,829 posts
11,528 battles
2 minutes ago, Camperdown said:

Cleveland

Chapayev

Minotaur

:cap_cool:

Or other way around, Atlanta as cruiser with DD guns:cap_book:

I'd say Smolensk but alas...:Smile_trollface:

Beta Tester
300 posts
5,819 battles
17 minutes ago, U69_2020 said:

Why would you be looking for any other ship than Gaede? Yeah, I'm just waiting for the return of my U-69, but in the meantime she is my only ship (not counting the made-up CV that was forced upon me and will be sold asap), and she is doing pretty well. No need to advance, really. T6 is the best tier in any respect.

shot-20.08.02_08.02.43-0809.jpg

I dont like to prey on people that can't play the game. Seeing the majority of people give broadside to everything at the same time is only fun for so long so anything below t10 is just not for me

[U69]
[U69]
Players
175 posts

Are you suggesting that those players you currently face at T10 are in any way more competent than those at T6? From what I read here, the access to high tiers via "buy premium ship" or "speed-grind" has pretty much removed any competence discrepancies between tiers. And presuming that people at T6 cannot play the game is a misconception. In fact, I meet an ever increasing number of players who perform well and just want to avoid the freakshow at high tiers.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[BOBS3]
Players
1,009 posts
18,603 battles
10 minutes ago, Pappus said:

I dont like to prey on people that can't play the game. Seeing the majority of people give broadside to everything at the same time is only fun for so long so anything below t10 is just not for me

I assure you that it isn't better at T10 as the Smolensk encourages sitting broadside to the biggest guns. Anything bigger than 152mm will not arm.

T6 & T7 are some of the best tiers to play. 

Edited by Cambera_1
Additional stuff.

[JRM]
Players
6,278 posts
24,145 battles

Smol 70 mm belt will arm any AP the issue is not arming it its the fact the damn thing us so thin the shell flies out the other side before exploding

Players
9,829 posts
11,528 battles
20 minutes ago, Pappus said:

Well, at T10 people give broadside anyway and play like certified potatoes so whats the difference:cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[U69]
[U69]
Players
175 posts
8 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Well, at T10 people give broadside anyway and play like certified potatoes so whats the difference:cap_hmm:

The level of arrogance, probably,  with a fair share of T10 players obviously believing themselves to be superior to T6 players.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
6,278 posts
24,145 battles
8 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Well giving broadside is sometimes a must, if you have a symetrical gun layout you cant have half of your guns out of action the whole match that is just stupid

Players
9,829 posts
11,528 battles
4 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Well giving broadside is sometimes a must, if you have a symetrical gun layout you cant have half of your guns out of action the whole match that is just stupid

There is difference between showing just enough to bring rear guns to bear and then angling again, and perpetually sailing full broadside because Crossing the T was meta back in the day:cap_book:

• Funny 1

[U69]
[U69]
Players
175 posts
Just now, Panocek said:

There is difference between showing just enough to bring rear guns to bear and then angling again, and perpetually sailing full broadside because Crossing the T was meta back in the day:cap_book:

Those players might have heard that it worked well for Nelson in 1805, mistakingly assumed this was referring to HMS Nelson and were in for a hard surprise when they were trying to cross the T with HMS Nelson in this game. :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

Players
9,829 posts
11,528 battles
3 minutes ago, U69_2020 said:

Those players might have heard that it worked well for Nelson in 1805, mistakingly assumed this was referring to HMS Nelson and were in for a hard surprise when they were trying to cross the T with HMS Nelson in this game. :Smile_trollface:

4a6ai8.jpg

Sign in to follow this