Flandre Bug Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ItsJustAFleshWound

Why don't we have historical flags?

144 comments in this topic

Players
108 posts
1,053 battles

this is just a question, not a rant/complaint.

I don't understand why we don't have historical flags, like the rising sun or the whatever the Kriegsmarine flag was (I think it's the flag we have now but replace the Iron Cross with a swastika)?

I haven't been in this game for years or anything close to that but from looking at a few, really old WoWs videos I saw ships used to have the real flags, why did WG remove them? what was the reason?

I just don't understand why these flags were removed, is there some sort of legal reason? Were people offended? (btw im not complaining if people were offended since we can't deny the horrific atrocities the soviets, nazis and imperial japan commited)

[-S3I-]
Players
172 posts
4,033 battles

AFAIK swastika is forbidden in Germany and other countries while Japan raising sun is forbidden in China. So yes, there are legal reasons why those were not included. I'm not sure if soviet symbols are actually forbidden in any country.

Players
108 posts
1,053 battles
Just now, Peroidas said:

AFAIK swastika is forbidden in Germany and other countries while Japan raising sun is forbidden in China. So yes, there are legal reasons why those were not included. I'm not sure if soviet symbols are actually forbidden in any country.

Doesn't China have their own server since most of the japanese stuff in this game is forbidden?

Idk the full extent of the situation in Germany but according to this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45142651 the swastika is allowed in games (idk if this is true) althought idk if this is the case for other countries.

Players
322 posts
11 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

I don't understand why we don't have historical flags, like the rising sun or the whatever the Kriegsmarine flag was (I think it's the flag we have now but replace the Iron Cross with a swastika)?

I haven't been in this game for years or anything close to that but from looking at a few, really old WoWs videos I saw ships used to have the real flags, why did WG remove them? what was the reason?

I just don't understand why these flags were removed, is there some sort of legal reason? Were people offended? (btw im not complaining if people were offended since we can't deny the horrific atrocities the soviets, nazis and imperial japan commited)

"Theirs not to make reply, Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die." - by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Mods are the solution to your query.

Contact "MajorRenegade" at WOWS NA forum and send him a private message.

• Cool 1

[NEXT]
Players
5,699 posts
11,594 battles
10 minutes ago, Peroidas said:

As far as I know it's now allowed in games with historical content. Since a year or something

3 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

Doesn't China have their own server since most of the japanese stuff in this game is forbidden?

Idk the full extent of the situation in Germany but according to this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45142651 the swastika is allowed in games (idk if this is true) althought idk if this is the case for other countries.

It should be allowed now, and in china, they have totally different flags for Japan and stuff.

ln3puqk.png

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
7,475 posts
26 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

Because delicate feelings of politically correct "left wing liberals" cant stand to be reminded of bad things their nations did (or had done to them) in the past under a certain symbol...

• Cool 5
  • Boring 5
  • Bad 8

Players
108 posts
1,053 battles
10 minutes ago, Pikkozoikum said:

As far as I know it's now allowed in games with historical content. Since a year or something

It should be allowed now, and in china, they have totally different flags for Japan and stuff.

ln3puqk.png

woah, are the IJN ships classed as Chinese in their server then?

[NEXT]
Players
5,699 posts
11,594 battles
1 minute ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

woah, are the IJN ships classed as Chinese in their server then?

No idea, just have seen such screenshots

• Cool 1

Players
108 posts
1,053 battles
2 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Because delicate feelings of politically correct "left wing liberals" cant stand to be reminded of bad things their nations did (or had done to them) in the past under a certain symbol...

tbh i dont think it's a political thing, in all WG titles I see some flags have been changed a bit.

[CAIN]
Players
4,898 posts
20,482 battles
Just now, Pikkozoikum said:

ln3puqk.png

I just checked. Actually, the paragraph in the law book actually allowed Nazi realted symbols from the get go as long it did not glorify facism (basically, if you as a DEV made the Nazis the bad guys, you were fine), was used in a artistic or historic way.

However, the department that controlled content (USK) ignored that paragraph for decades for the simple reason that computer games were never considered to be art or historical, so they issued a general ban, regardless.

And yes, it has now been lifted and we'll most likely see games with Nazi symbols at some point.

I seriously doubt that Wg will change the german flag tho.

First of all, it would rub a lot of germans the wrong way, not to mention that it would rub a lot of non-germans the wrong way and could lead to increased amount of toxicity.

Having a german nick, or even sailing a german ship and sinking someone can cause harassment.

I've been called a Nazi because i sank some BB in my T-61, and my Nickname is as non-german as it could possibly be.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
29,657 posts
15,312 battles
42 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

They were not removed. You must have seen players with mods.

[JRM]
Players
7,475 posts
14 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

tbh i dont think it's a political thing, in all WG titles I see some flags have been changed a bit.

Ofc its a political thing, certain symbols of past regimes are banned in certain countries, if those countries are part of the marketing strategy content will be modified (either locally or globaly) to conform with the said laws not to alienate possible customers or create legal issues, hence you get "politically correct" versions thereof in the game...

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
201 posts

Germany is not the only country which has the swastica forbidden.

Latvia, Poland, Lithuania, Hungary has swastica forbidden too. Hungary has the soviets symbols banned so i don't know if this game is played in Hungary.

Players
910 posts
10,070 battles
36 minutes ago, Thorsvald said:

Germany is not the only country which has the swastica forbidden.

Latvia, Poland, Lithuania, Hungary has swastica forbidden too. Hungary has the soviets symbols banned so i don't know if this game is played in Hungary.

Yeah, it's political, and also just a courtesy to those people who had millions of their relatives murdered in the name of those symbols to not use them. I'm old enough that in my case they were my aunts and uncles.

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,917 posts
10,103 battles

Because in today's world everybody is offended by everything.

• Cool 8
  • Bad 3

[JRM]
Players
7,475 posts
19 minutes ago, That_Other_Nid said:

Yeah, it's political, and also just a courtesy to those people who had millions of their relatives murdered in the name of those symbols to not use them. I'm old enough that in my case they were my aunts and uncles.

Fascinating how hammer and sickle usually gets exempt, as well as it would seem the Italian flag for instance...

• Cool 4

Players
453 posts
2 hours ago, Peroidas said:

Japan raising sun is forbidden in China.

No, its not.

To start, its still the Japanese naval ensign and nobody complained when Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force adapted it in 1952 as for China, Chairman Mao was fond of the Asahi pattern and CPC have a long history of using the design, meaning nobody complains about the design (as so, the rising sun) for the entirely obvious reason.

South Korea started to make noise but that was recently as it started in 2011, Japan have no love on Koreas and China but only S. Korea been making complains and that been recently.

[2DQT]
Players
139 posts
4,461 battles
3 hours ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

WG does not want to get in trouble with cancel culture screaming about certain historical flags, legal or not. 

• Funny 1

[THESO]
Players
968 posts
9,172 battles
2 hours ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

That's because pinkass SJWs are everywhere and WG doesn't want to cross them.. 

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[FAILS]
Players
640 posts
21,292 battles

I kind of get that some people get offended by the display of the Swastika symbol (which is an ancient religious symbol afaik) because of Nazi Germany. So, making an Iron cross out of the Swastika I can accept. Though why the Soviet hammer and sickel should be any different, I cannot quite fathom. Stalin was not far behind Hitler in murdering people.

For not displaying the Japanese Neval flag, I have not understanding whatseover. It is the flag of the Japanese Forces to this day, for crying out loud!

Another matter: Why do Imperial Russian ships have their own, period-correct flag, but Imperial German ones do not?

In the end, political view from the developers/people in charge at WG is the only viable explanation.

• Cool 6

Beta Tester
4,723 posts
11,324 battles
2 hours ago, domen3 said:

Because in today's world everybody is offended by everything.

Yes.. how on earth can someone be offended by a regime that started a world war ending in tens of millions dead, and who committed the holocaust? Lets just pretend it's just people being snowflakes or something, since that makes you so cool.

image.jpeg.89305b7eee0499fb1428a22851125f61.jpeg

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

Beta Tester
4,723 posts
11,324 battles
1 hour ago, Kenjiro_ said:

That's because pinkass SJWs are everywhere and WG doesn't want to cross them.. 

Yes.. just because these are laws enacted by those who were victims by nazis, and those who wanted to make it hard for them to return to power in their own country.. back in the 1940s and 50s, they're of course "SJWs".

Just like how the allies in WWII were "SJWs" too I guess, or at least those dreaded horrible "antifas".

• Cool 2

[THESO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,917 posts
10,103 battles
22 minutes ago, AgarwaenME said:

Yes.. how on earth can someone be offended by a regime that started a world war ending in tens of millions dead, and who committed the holocaust? Lets just pretend it's just people being snowflakes or something, since that makes you so cool.

Oh yes, let's go do our best to forget our history so we can repeat it again....I mean, it's been nothing but sunshine and roses as we all know (or at least as you want us to know it). It happened, get over it. It's a part of history and it always will be.

• Cool 3