Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Major1999

Georgios Averof = Hellenic Navy in WOWS?

65 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
139 posts

Could this mean Greek Navy soon in WOWS?

 

Georgios Averof 1970

Averof_WWII-HD-768x497.jpg

 

Lemnos

RHS_Lemnos.jpg

 

Salamis

1920px-Greek_battleship_Salamis_illustra

 

Hellenic Navy in 1940

Greece+1940.jpg

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,622 battles

Greek "Battleships":

 

Salamis: Ordered from german shipyard with american guns.  Laid down 1913. Never completed.  T4-5.

Vasilefs Konstantinos: Ordered from a french shipyard. Laid down 1914. Never completed. T4-5.

Kilkis class: Consisted of two former american pre-dreadnoughts. T2 at best.

 

Since most of the greek ships in this period were hand-me-downs or foreign built a greek tree would bring little originality to the game. Georgios Averof could have some value at T2-3 but the rest would be copy-paste.

I understand that some national pride comes into this but first and foremost the question we must ask us is "What would this ship bring to the game?"

 

I'm against implementing any ship into the game based solely upon it being from a specific nation.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,609 posts
18,129 battles

I doubt very much WG will make a specific Greek line but it would be very possible they would be added under the umbrella of the Pan European line with the ability to fly a Greek flag. 

 

Personally I'm all for adding more ships real from various nations so would love to see these ships introduced.

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BOBS3]
Players
1,007 posts
18,470 battles

The Greeks are entitled to ask for a representation within World of Warships. Hey, even the major sea power (not) that was the Austria-Hungarian Empire has a representation.

I doubt that a full line of ships could be developed.

 

The Pan European / Pan Asian / Pan American / Commonwealth lines should give plenty of space for some interesting and historical ships from all sorts of Nations.

There is a place for natively designed and commissioned ships and 'sold on' ships from other countries within these trees.

 

However it would be best if the Italian Tech Tree was filled out fully. During the time period of WoWs the Italians were a major naval power, unlike most other European (or non European) Countries not already in the game with a pretty full tree. 

(Yes, an argument could be made to add Canada, as the third biggest navy at the end of WW2 I believe, but if so it would mostly be full of DDs and most of them clones of RN or low tier USN ones.)

 

1 minute ago, SHADEW0LF said:

What Navy?

I know that you are being ironic but the Greeks have a great seafaring tradition and the Hellenic Navy has a proud tradition. 

 

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ALYEN]
Players
1,619 posts
3,579 battles
1 hour ago, Hanse77SWE said:

Greek "Battleships":

 

Salamis: Ordered from german shipyard with american guns.  Laid down 1913. Never completed.  T4-5.

Vasilefs Konstantinos: Ordered from a french shipyard. Laid down 1914. Never completed. T4-5.

Kilkis class: Consisted of two former american pre-dreadnoughts. T2 at best.

 

Since most of the greek ships in this period were hand-me-downs or foreign built a greek tree would bring little originality to the game. Georgios Averof could have some value at T2-3 but the rest would be copy-paste.

I understand that some national pride comes into this but first and foremost the question we must ask us is "What would this ship bring to the game?"

 

I'm against implementing any ship into the game based solely upon it being from a specific nation.

a. we have the PAN-EU line, the Greek ships would fit in there nicely

b. there's not a question of where it was built or from which foreign components but more in the direction of: does the design exist in the game already ? or is it some interesting modification of an existing design ?

 

Gnevny was foreign built (Italian shipyard/design) and we have that ingame, it's a unique ship. Then we have Hsienyang/Loyang/Benson straight copies (or Chung Mu vs Fletcher). And don't get me started on paper ships. Those Greeks at least were laid down and the design existed in enough detail to start a build.

  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
3,818 posts
15,668 battles

We certainly mentioned the Greek Navy when were discussing an alternative Pan-Euro tree for the DDs line a while back; the Destroyers Vasilissa Olga and Vasilefs Georgios - G/H class RN DD hulls with German weaponry - should certainly be in there, especially now as WG have released Z-35.

 

Averof is such a splendid ship but WG are going to have finally make some decision on ships with mixed batteries or significant secondaries before it can appear in the game.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CAIN]
Players
4,342 posts
18,372 battles

I wants them Averof in my game.

 

But i doubt we'll see the RHN as a separate tech tree like US or IJN.

I guess, it'll be part of the PAN EU tech tree with Averof being the first premium at TV/TVI.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,569 posts
13,476 battles

Averof could be a very fun tier 3 or even 4. 

 

She isn't terribly quick but with her great armour they could be daring and go the route of making her a true secondary cruiser which does well at mid-close range, while at the same time having only a low number of - but hard hitting - 234mm main guns with 8 sec reload. 

 

I could see her as being a fun ship to play. 

 

 

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[I-J-N]
Players
4,092 posts

As @Cambera_1 pointed out, the Pan-European tree affords the flexibility to include interesting and historical ships of the smaller naval powers in the game. :Smile_great: The size of their real world navy isn't a crucial factor as some nations *cough cough* we have in the game have a high *cough* percentage of fictional paper ships, courtesy of Lesta Cafeteria's seemingly inexhaustible supply of napkins. :Smile_trollface:

 

 

  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
139 posts
1 hour ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

a. we have the PAN-EU line, the Greek ships would fit in there nicely

b. there's not a question of where it was built or from which foreign components but more in the direction of: does the design exist in the game already ? or is it some interesting modification of an existing design ?

 

Gnevny was foreign built (Italian shipyard/design) and we have that ingame, it's a unique ship. Then we have Hsienyang/Loyang/Benson straight copies (or Chung Mu vs Fletcher). And don't get me started on paper ships. Those Greeks at least were laid down and the design existed in enough detail to start a build.

You understood what i meant :D

Ofc in the Euro tree, for a own Nation tree the hellenic Navy was back then a bit too small, i think greek and also turkish ships could be verry interessting for WOWS, but i am not really in the hellenic and turkish Navy theme, so idk.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ALYEN]
Players
1,619 posts
3,579 battles
15 minutes ago, Major1999 said:

You understood what i meant :D

Ofc in the Euro tree, for a own Nation tree the hellenic Navy was back then a bit too small, i think greek and also turkish ships could be verry interessting for WOWS, but i am not really in the hellenic and turkish Navy theme, so idk.

Averof would make a nice T3 premium ...

 

The only problem with the PAN-EU tree if it were made that way is that it would be a rather colorful collection of ships, so commander builds and tactics would change tier to tier and ship to ship. BUT still better than the paper navy from a historical point of view...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
1,331 posts
9,813 battles
1 hour ago, SHADEW0LF said:

What Navy?

 

This Navy

Spoiler

 

 

  • Cool 5
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ICON]
Alpha Tester
13 posts
14,689 battles

As a Greek, I would be proud to see a Greek ship with the flag of my country. Anyway, this is where it all started. thank you

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
29 posts
124 battles

It is an interesting design... a mix between a battlecruiser/heavy cruiser? I will certainly visit it one day; once Turkish and Greek politicians pull their heads out of their asses vis-a-vis Aegean and Mediterranean and what it symbolizes becomes a thing of the past.

 

Hopefully it will be added together with Yavuz as battlecruisers for the Pan-European tech tree and not as a premium to exploit nationalistic foolery, given the political climate. The question is how to tier Averoff; Yavuz is easier to classify as a tier 4 or 5 battleship depending on its A-B-C hulls with increasingly stronger AA on numbers in exchange for losing one turret. Averoff would make a good tier 3 battleship or a tier 4 heavy cruiser.. those secondaries and torpedoes couple would be a nasty surprise to ships that dares to close the distance.

 

Oh and please remove that awful Pan-European flag and introduce national flags for all Pan-European ships.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LADA]
Players
543 posts
8,357 battles

Hell, why not. 

 

However I'd like camouflage with the Eye of Horus on the bow and a man banging away on some drums sitting on the conning tower. Baked in bonus for ramming stuff. 

 

I know it makes sense. You know it makes sense. WG - do it.  

 

 

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[I-J-N]
Players
4,092 posts
23 minutes ago, Pururut said:

Oh and please remove that awful Pan-European flag and introduce national flags for all Pan-European ships.

 

Those national naval ensigns are already in the game.. you just have to switch them.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
3,818 posts
15,668 battles
26 minutes ago, Pururut said:

Oh and please remove that awful Pan-European flag and introduce national flags for all Pan-European ships.

They have.  It's an option on all of them. 

 

Blyska

Blyska.jpg.92d668ff160190937c255dd90b18ac30.jpg

 

Viribus

 

1833128312_ViribusFlag.jpg.51a5a46414e1d0efe719367235da0b44.jpg

 

 

Romulus

176468600_RomulusFlag.jpg.6d2c39d87123cef13aeb03d1842f86b6.jpg

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
3,818 posts
15,668 battles
30 minutes ago, Pururut said:

It is an interesting design... a mix between a battlecruiser/heavy cruiser?

It's a very old fashioned armoured cruiser,  the type of ship which was made obsolete by the development of the battlecruiser. Lots of navies had them and there were several ships of that type in action during WW1 (the German Blucher, the British Good Hope, Defence, Warrior, etc, and often ending up with much less successful outcomes than Averof). The only ones that WG has introduced (like the St Louis/Charleston) have a uniform main battery.... but to be honest I think they should just get over it, it's going to be Tier III/IV, make all the large calibre guns directable and let the players work out if it's fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
136 posts
3,222 battles

With all big guns under player control it could operate in T IV or even T V. It all depends on stuff WG would add to it.

 

Ship is rather low, but with spotting top, so it could have low detection range and long range of guns. It had underwater torps (1 on bow and 1 on each side), and though WG ignored those so far, there is an option to include them.

 

While her AA suite was rather light, it could get fictional WW2 era AA upgrade.

 

It is slow at 24 kts, but engine boost could be added on account of aggressive tactics used by her commanders.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[I-J-N]
Players
4,092 posts
2 hours ago, Peroidas said:

With all big guns under player control it could operate in T IV or even T V. It all depends on stuff WG would add to it.

 

Ship is rather low, but with spotting top, so it could have low detection range and long range of guns. It had underwater torps (1 on bow and 1 on each side), and though WG ignored those so far, there is an option to include them.

 

While her AA suite was rather light, it could get fictional WW2 era AA upgrade.

 

It is slow at 24 kts, but engine boost could be added on account of aggressive tactics used by her commanders.

 

If WG adds any more torps to this game, the only BB I'm gonna wanna play after that is the Space Battleship Yamato...:Smile_glasses:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[H_FAN]
Players
2,562 posts
40,635 battles
4 hours ago, Pururut said:

It is an interesting design... a mix between a battlecruiser/heavy cruiser? I will certainly visit it one day; once Turkish and Greek politicians pull their heads out of their asses vis-a-vis Aegean and Mediterranean and what it symbolizes becomes a thing of the past.

 

Hopefully it will be added together with Yavuz as battlecruisers for the Pan-European tech tree and not as a premium to exploit nationalistic foolery, given the political climate. The question is how to tier Averoff; Yavuz is easier to classify as a tier 4 or 5 battleship depending on its A-B-C hulls with increasingly stronger AA on numbers in exchange for losing one turret. Averoff would make a good tier 3 battleship or a tier 4 heavy cruiser.. those secondaries and torpedoes couple would be a nasty surprise to ships that dares to close the distance.

 

Oh and please remove that awful Pan-European flag and introduce national flags for all Pan-European ships.

You just change the flag, I have Swedish flag on the ships

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-TPF-]
Players
3,818 posts
15,668 battles
2 hours ago, Peroidas said:

While her AA suite was rather light, it could get fictional WW2 era AA upgrade.

 

It is slow at 24 kts, but engine boost could be added on account of aggressive tactics used by her commanders.

I like the sound of that. What is also quite fun about ships of this design is that you've always got guns pointing in the required direction, even if they don't train very fast, so rudder shift becomes more important than speed of traverse - so a Warspite like nimbleness would be essential.

 

And as for AA, she certainly wouldn't be helpless. Lots of 3 inch AA guns of various ages, and a WW2 upgrade with close range 20mm guns. 

 

Nice package with two camos (historic and museum ship), A and B hull options to allow some variations in play (more secondaries, less AA and vice versa)... I'd have that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TACHA]
Players
1,411 posts
15,563 battles

Although she does have many 3" guns, only 2 are AA and she also had 4 40mm guns. The torpedo tubes were removed and would not be in game any way as under water. Her armour is good - she is an armoured cruiser after all - but she only has 4x 9.2" guns and 8x 7.5" guns. Although this would give some very good secondaries, only 4 slow loading main guns would be quite weak. Also only 22.5 knots maximum. I fear she would likely be another Mikasa , a great ship but of the wrong era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×