You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Gebbly

Which ship do you find hardest to play well?

59 comments in this topic

[FMJ]
Players
56 posts
1,349 battles

I have only played a small selection of ships but certainly the mid-tier RN light cruisers proved a painful experience for me. No HE, a huge citadel and low armour mean I find it hard to damage battleships and often have a quick trip back to port after a couple of salvos hit me. Of course its my potato skills rather than a terrible ship. I just havent found the knack of playing them yet which is a shame as there are things I like about the ships : the high speed, nice torps, smoke, heal, reasonable rate of fire for the guns.

So I'm curious if anyone else has a particular ship that they just cant figure out or get to be effective?

[1701]
Players
108 posts
12,986 battles

Well if you by midtier mean tier 5 then that is a painful experience for most people. That ship is not that great. It is also a line of ships that require a bit more skill than most ships in the game imo. If you like the playstyle, the rest of the ships except for Neptune are pretty great though. Funny thing is I really liked Neptune, but Mino feels like it is 2 tiers better. 

The ship that I could not stand is the Friedrich Der Grosse

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles
29 minutes ago, Gebbly said:

I have only played a small selection of ships but certainly the mid-tier RN light cruisers proved a painful experience for me. No HE, a huge citadel and low armour mean I find it hard to damage battleships and often have a quick trip back to port after a couple of salvos hit me. Of course its my potato skills rather than a terrible ship. I just havent found the knack of playing them yet which is a shame as there are things I like about the ships : the high speed, nice torps, smoke, heal, reasonable rate of fire for the guns.

So I'm curious if anyone else has a particular ship that they just cant figure out or get to be effective?

Stick at it, mate, the RN light cruisers are total beasts once you get the hang of them though they are known for being non-beginner-friendly.

Personally I have encountered loads of ships that I have been unable to make work (mostly BBs surprisingly enough). Annoyingly, many of them are considered to be quite decent ships so I know this is a me problem.

Notable entries include:

Fuso

Queen Elizabeth

Gneisenau

Iowa

• Cool 1

Players
1,324 posts
1 minute ago, xxNihilanxx said:

Stick at it, mate, the RN light cruisers are total beasts once you get the hang of them though they are known for being non-beginner-friendly.

Personally I have encountered loads of ships that I have been unable to make work (mostly BBs surprisingly enough). Annoyingly, many of them are considered to be quite decent ships so I know this is a me problem.

Notable entries include:

Fuso

Queen Elizabeth

Gneisenau

Iowa

I have uber potato skills in Soyuz. Gave up trying it long time ago.

soyuz.JPG

• Cool 1

Players
397 posts
24,586 battles

The Ismail, because I am a close Range brawling BB-Player and the Ismail has a huge Citadell.

That Ship is very Good if the Enemy BBs are ignoring you and you can Oneshoot Cruisers and Farm Broadsides.

I just played it a bit too aggressive.

I liked the Russian BBs at Tier 3-5 and the Sinop was Good too.

And I really like the German and French Battleship lines

[KAKE]
Players
2,519 posts
5,941 battles

None that I'm actively trying to play now. But I never did manage to git gud in Neptune and Izumo.

[PUPSI]
Players
730 posts
2,441 battles

Fuso and Normandie are both ones in which I will have randomly disastrous games. Good ones too, but some where I just get nothing done. Émile and La Gal did similar thing to me too. Just finished my Mahan grind today and had trouble doing damage with that, although I did okay-ish at capping and winning games.

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles
3 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

soyuz.JPG

I am currently at the Vladivostok and things were similar for me with that ship but it is starting to click now.

I know that, for me, a lot of the problem is that if I don't click with a ship straight off I play it very infrequently which, of course, means I don't gain the experience with it to get the hang of it. This becomes a vicious circle of failure, but like I said before, totally a me problem.

• Cool 1

Players
1,324 posts
1 minute ago, xxNihilanxx said:

I am currently at the Vladivostok and things were similar for me with that ship but it is starting to click now.

I know that, for me, a lot of the problem is that if I don't click with a ship straight off I play it very infrequently which, of course, means I don't gain the experience with it to get the hang of it. This becomes a vicious circle of failure, but like I said before, totally a me problem.

I am better in Vladi than Soyuz but still potato in it too. Interestingly, i do okay in Lenin. Dunno, if you make Soyuz work good, please enlighten me and take me out of this misery!!! :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
79 posts
3,252 battles

Bismarck. Granted, I haven't touched it in about two years but I couldn't stand the low number of inaccurate guns and susceptibility to HE spam (giant superstructure.) Unusually though I loved Gneisenau... 

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles

Tier 8-9 Italians cruisers.....they/I suck a lot.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,443 posts
8,808 battles
2 hours ago, Execute0rder66 said:

I really think Soyuz is just garbage.

image.thumb.png.9e15840db801869cb5412aa13d245c8d.png

I freeXPed it after i felt it to be extremely useless. You go close, for some reason you still dont hit well enough or get overpens.

Almost my worst T9 BB, pre-pre? (i think FDG had 2 buffs in between) buff FDG is a bit worse in avg damage. Meanwhile, i almost got 100k more avg damage in Alsace which ive played also recently :cap_haloween:

@ OP

- Gorizia, havent even played that in randoms, only in Narai and it was super bad there

- Hawkins, ok i only played it once, but the worst feeling ive had in a ship in a looooong time. Didnt hit anything

- DoY, this is more of a "i wouldnt touch it anymore, because it got shafted too much". I just expect a horrible experience

- Mikoyan, same as above, id just expect it to suck most of the time. Its fun in Coop tho.

And one more, which will make most (all?) players go WTF right now, but its just how i feel when playing it:

- Stalingrad

yep. Its horribly unfun to play imo. Literally my worst TX Cruiser. Expect to get focused in your own spawn. Also expect everyone to angle against you while we are at it. Ive basicly had an entire team once, running to my flank and they all tried to shoot me :cap_fainting: Might aswell forget that you have radar, when you go so close to actually radar a cap, crap will hit the fan fast and hard :Smile_teethhappy:

image.thumb.png.33be1dfe608897593d3200adf092fbac.png

Worst TX Cruiser for me. Not in WR tho, as being able to tank half the enemy team usually gets you the win quite often :cap_book:

I only recall one fun game in it, where i managed to just steam through the enemies, and kill them of because they let me.

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,086 posts
8,425 battles

Halland. I like it, I find it fun, but I can't get overly consistent results in it. I also can't seem to find a "winning" strategy in it as I can in most of my DD's, well apart from my Kebab though which I have not played in ages.

Players
1,324 posts
35 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I really think Soyuz is just garbage.

image.thumb.png.9e15840db801869cb5412aa13d245c8d.png

I freeXPed it after i felt it to be extremely useless. You go close, for some reason you still dont hit well enough or get overpens.

Almost my worst T9 BB, pre-pre? (i think FDG had 2 buffs in between) buff FDG is a bit worse in avg damage. Meanwhile, i almost got 100k more avg damage in Alsace which ive played also recently :cap_haloween:

Same experience i had, go closer and shots become wonkier, distribution all over the place or overpens. Also, FDG is my worse BB along with Soyuz. I can make FDR work after buffs, didn't play it yet but Soyuz. Just don't wanna think it is a bad ship because i can't make it work. It is in the middle pack of tier 9 BBs per avg. dmg, wr and frags. So, it is us who need to git gud :Smile_trollface:

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,171 posts
6,283 battles

Edinburgh and the RN light cruisers in general. But also struggle a lot with french DDs althou might get better when I get to tier 8 and get a bit higher shell velocity as that is my main gripe at tier 7.

[MAS-X]
Players
358 posts
8,617 battles

Any DD, expecially the european one

Happy to have played the IJN line till tier X before the rework, now i do play only with battleships or cruisers

Players
3,074 posts
4,708 battles

Several years ago I had some difficulties with playing Minotaur, because that cruiser is basically a massive DD with biggest citadel in entire game and poor manuverability (bad brakes) so your situation awareness have to be 110%.

But now I don't find it that hard to play, even with all those radars. Shortly, islands are your best friends.

[_I_]
Players
483 posts
17,688 battles
4 hours ago, Gebbly said:

I believe Minotaur didn't get HE because a ship with rapid fire artillery, smoke and HE was deemed overpowered??! @Excavatus

To answer your question, Minotaur is amazing for damaging everything. Smoking up before an approaching BB, who then usually turns because of the spam, can easily net like 40-50k damage just while showing broadside during the turn.

That said you have to be very careful when spotted and being mindful where anything with decent AP is and if they are aiming at you. The huge citadel seems a fair disadvantage (not so fair after smolensk arrived though), the slow deceleration is more extremely annoying than a huge disadvantage as long as you're prepared to slow down and time it a bit.

Players
3,999 posts

I agree with @waxx25

ITA cruisers turned out garbage for me.

Just bought Brindisi, I really hope for a better experience than in Amalfi.

[-AP-]
Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles
3 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

I agree with @waxx25

ITA cruisers turned out garbage for me.

Just bought Brindisi, I really hope for a better experience than in Amalfi.

Prepare for a massive disappointment. I free xp the venezia after like 3 brandish games.......it was sooooooo bad.

[SPURD]
Players
293 posts
3,301 battles

Duca'd Aosta, my first premium. It's fast, it's pretty, it does absolutely no damage. Yay?

Also Hipper and Roon. Slow, clumsy, garbage firing angles, lame obsession with AP they're too lazy to move up to deliver to anything worthwhile. I hate them. Especially roon because it's not even a real ship.

Oh! Also Colorado. I thought another BB line grind would be so painless, except discount tractor engines seem to have been used in this american garbage scowl. I've had matches where I could only shoot at something 15 minutes in because the flank I'm in is kiting. Also many matches where team lemmings and abandons me to die, can't even follow them uselessly because they have more than 10 knots speed over me. Just get abandoned and die with no options. Any sub-28kts battleship is USELESS!

[TES6L]
Players
228 posts
11,100 battles

Only ship i really hate is Hawkins.

Thats a floating garbage.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,370 posts

Azuma and Yoshino....And I put in quite the effort to get them once...

The CC's reviewing it kept rambeling about a coffin shaped citadel.  Well the whole ship seems to be that. I do not care for CC but was directed to their vids looking for how to play these BB sized tin can armour ships. 

But no one has an aswer yet....other then dont play it. 

Players
397 posts
24,586 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, Beastofwar sagte:

Azuma and Yoshino....And I put in quite the effort to get them once...

The CC's reviewing it kept rambeling about a coffin shaped citadel.  Well the whole ship seems to be that. I do not care for CC but was their vids looking for how to play these BB sized tin can armour ships. 

But no one has an aswer yet....other then dont play it. 

I played against them and I had the most Problems when they were played as long range he-slingers.

At Mid to Close Range these Ships will be BB-Food