You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

Do you notice the occasional "stuttering" / "hiccups" / "Temporary FPS drops" during the battle in game?

156 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,405 posts
15,412 battles

Hi all,

Do you notice the occasional "stuttering" / "hiccups" / "Temporary FPS drops" during the battle in game?

I have Intel i7 with 16GB RAM, nVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB RAM and 1920x1200 60 HZ monitor.

I have everything set to MAX (together with AntiAliasing turned ON inside the game). I have VSync turned OFF together with" Tripple Buffering" OFF as well and my FPS are locked to 60 Hz (both in game in "engine_config.xml" and in nVIDIA "Control Panel").

Game is buttery smooth most of the time but from time to time I notice occasional "stuttering" / "hiccups" / "Temporary FPS drops"... :Smile_izmena:

Sometimes this is connected to lost of action but many times this happens by simply selecting "O" (for "Select Priority AA Sector") for example or by introduction of enemy ships to the game (previous unseen)... :Smile-angry:

Do you guys experience the same thing?

BTW, here are screenshots of my CPU / RAM / GPU usage - as it can clearly be seen they are all NOWHERE near 100% usage ever...

GPU:

NkMAvob.png

CPU:

EEy7jgb.png

RAM:

k7HWwRo.png

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

The tool used is the SysInternal's "Process Explorer" but other tools (including the ones build in "Windows 10" or the "MSI Afterburner") show the same.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

• Cool 7

[JRM]
Players
6,339 posts
24,242 battles

I saw a DD "warp" today first moment I thought it was lag but everything on network side looked normal, IDK

Players
1,504 posts
3,126 battles

I don't really know; tho what i can sat is that since the Update, my FPS dropped by about 10 fps, and i didn't changed anything in my settings 

Players
1,510 posts
11,278 battles
44 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Game is buttery smooth most of the time but from time to time I notice occasional "stuttering" / "hiccups" / "Temporary FPS drops"...

It could be lag spikes which are server related. If that's the case there is pretty much nothing you can do about it.

However, do these hiccups and stuttering occur in intervals, like one to several minutes between them and then the stuttering is only for a brief moment (1-2 seconds)?

If Yes, google for information about Windows Core Unpark additionally you can test if a different power plan solve the problem. Windows Settings -> System -> Power & Sleep -> Additional Power Settings -> select the Performance or High Performance profile.

Usually the power plan is set to Balanced by default, which is useful for Laptops but not that much for desktop PC. What it does is, that after a while of idle the hard drives will be shut down, monitor will be turned off and, this is the relevant part for gamers, unused CPU cores are send to sleep (C-state). This happens fairly often when a game does not utilize all CPU cores, which is often not the case. If another background task, such as windows update, virus scan, driver checkup, whatever, need CPU power one or more of the sleeping CPU cores has to be woken up and this tiny delay between request and core wake up causes a tiny delay. By changing the power plan a fake load will be put on the CPU cores that they don't report and idle state. This does not cost any CPU power or slows down the computer in any way. If you open Task-Manager and go to Details tab you will even find a System Idle Process that can sometimes go up to 99%. That's the Windows own service to keep the core awake and is managed by the selected power plan.

Unpark cores can be done within the registry, which is very tedious, or you can use one of the available tools out there to do the job with a few mouse clicks. Unparked cores prevent the system from ever sending any cores to sleep, because cores never report an idle state. The system runs in general smoother on cost of a few extra Watts it consumes. As i said, important for laptops that run on battery, but irrelevant for desktop computers.

Note: this core parking crap feature is exclusively an Intel thing. AMD systems don't know about this at all.

This is just a shot in the dark and not more than a guess. No idea if this will fix your studders/hiccups, but this core parking is known to cause this behavior especially in games on Intel platforms and gave a lot of people headache, so it's in general a good idea to unlock/unpark all CPU cores to have a smoother and more responsive system.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,405 posts
15,412 battles

Hi all,

3 minutes ago, ThePurpleSmurf said:

It could be lag spikes which are server related. If that's the case there is pretty much nothing you can do about it.

However, do these hiccups and stuttering occur in intervals, like one to several minutes between them and then the stuttering is only for a brief moment (1-2 seconds)?

If Yes, google for information about Windows Core Unpark additionally you can test if a different power plan solve the problem. Windows Settings -> System -> Power & Sleep -> Additional Power Settings -> select the Performance or High Performance profile.

Usually the power plan is set to Balanced by default, which is useful for Laptops but not that much for desktop PC. What it does is, that after a while of idle the hard drives will be shut down, monitor will be turned off and, this is the relevant part for gamers, unused CPU cores are send to sleep (C-state). This happens fairly often when a game does not utilize all CPU cores, which is often not the case. If another background task, such as windows update, virus scan, driver checkup, whatever, need CPU power one or more of the sleeping CPU cores has to be woken up and this tiny delay between request and core wake up causes a tiny delay. By changing the power plan a fake load will be put on the CPU cores that they don't report and idle state. This does not cost any CPU power or slows down the computer in any way. If you open Task-Manager and go to Details tab you will even find a System Idle Process that can sometimes go up to 99%. That's the Windows own service to keep the core awake and is managed by the selected power plan.

Unpark cores can be done within the registry, which is very tedious, or you can use one of the available tools out there to do the job with a few mouse clicks. Unparked cores prevent the system from ever sending any cores to sleep, because cores never report an idle state. The system runs in general smoother on cost of a few extra Watts it consumes. As i said, important for laptops that run on battery, but irrelevant for desktop computers.

Note: this core parking crap feature is exclusively an Intel thing. AMD systems don't know about this at all.

This is just a shot in the dark and not more than a guess. No idea if this will fix your studders/hiccups, but this core parking is known to cause this behavior especially in games on Intel platforms and gave a lot of people headache, so it's in general a good idea to unlock/unpark all CPU cores to have a smoother and more responsive system.

Thanks - this is useful info to many players! :Smile_honoring:

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

I am old school IT professional... none of my computers is set to anything other than "Maximum Performance" from the first moment I lay my hands on them... :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
Players
235 posts
2,848 battles

Can anybody provide the "best" settings, like if some things provide fps drop but instead they dont cause low graphic. Only when I put mode calm sea do I see more or less stable FPS, but then again I really like normal sea.

got i7 7700, nvidia 1060 6gb, 16gb ram and ssd. Stuttering and low fps drops really shouldnt be happening... I think "mostly" it happens when I see destroyer put smoke or if I like move camera left and right a bit faster.

If you know any good advice about good setting while not losing good graphic thank you.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,405 posts
15,412 battles

Hi all,

5 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Can anybody provide the "best" settings, like if some things provide fps drop but instead they dont cause low graphic. Only when I put mode calm sea do I see more or less stable FPS, but then again I really like normal sea.

got i7 7700, nvidia 1060 6gb, 16gb ram and ssd. Stuttering and low fps drops really shouldnt be happening... I think "mostly" it happens when I see destroyer put smoke or if I like move camera left and right a bit faster.

If you know any good advice about good setting while not losing good graphic thank you.

I had a thread recently:

What settings do you use (you have more-or-less same machine as I do)?

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
1,296 posts
11,488 battles
1 hour ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

I have Intel i7 with 16GB RAM, nVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB RAM and 1920x1200 60 HZ monitor.

I have everything set to MAX (together with AntiAliasing turned ON inside the game). I have VSync turned OFF together with" Tripple Buffering" OFF as well and my FPS are locked to 60 Hz (both in game in "engine_config.xml" and in nVIDIA "Control Panel").

Game is buttery smooth most of the time but from time to time I notice occasional "stuttering" / "hiccups" / "Temporary FPS drops"... :Smile_izmena:

Sometimes this is connected to lost of action but many times this happens by simply selecting "O" (for "Select Priority AA Sector") for example or by introduction of enemy ships to the game (previous unseen)... :Smile-angry:

Do you guys experience the same thing?

BTW, here are screenshots of my CPU / RAM / GPU usage - as it can clearly be seen they are all NOWHERE near 100% usage ever...

GPU:

NkMAvob.png

CPU:

EEy7jgb.png

RAM:

k7HWwRo.png

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

The tool used is the SysInternal's "Process Explorer" but other tools (including the ones build in "Windows 10" or the "MSI Afterburner") show the same.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Yes I have same experiences. Also, when using the spotting plane my cursor sometimes "stutters" (moves with a stuttering motion) without input from me.

I am assuming the stutters are random packet losses. The FPS drops can be momentary ping loss. As for stuttering crosshairs I have no clue.

I run pure vanilla client so mods are not an issue here.

[RONIN]
Players
235 posts
2,848 battles
12 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

I had a thread recently:

What settings do you use (you have more-or-less same machine as I do)?

Leo "Apollo11"

Nice, tnx. Do you know any video on youtube maybe that explains every part of graphic settings? So that I know what thing changes what. THere are a lot videos about call of duty setting, cant find any good ones about WoWs

Players
1,510 posts
11,278 battles
13 minutes ago, Wulf_Ace said:

Nice, tnx. Do you know any video on youtube maybe that explains every part of graphic settings? So that I know what thing changes what. THere are a lot videos about call of duty setting, cant find any good ones about WoWs

There is an official WoWs video about the GFX settings but this video is old, so no idea how it holds up after so many game changes. But this video shows in general what the different settings do in a side-by-side comparison. 

• Cool 2

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,792 posts
19,501 battles

I thought this is a fix to CV - DD interaction tbh. Such a galaxybrain one too. Just let yourself get inspired by the bugs of your game and voila, new gameplay mechanic!

On a more serious note, @Crysantos @MrConway, care to take a look? I can provide the replay too if you'd like.

• Cool 1

[_OC_]
Players
88 posts
1,159 battles

My setup runs everything on max at 76fps with no issues, but every now and then it will drop to like 15fps for a few seconds and the sound breaks up and stutters. Strangely, it seems to happen when I take a "heavy damage" shot or receive a citadel penetration, as if the Yamato shell has hit my ship so hard that my laptop shits itself for a dew seconds. I've never been able to get to the bottom of it.

It's weird because it only happens now and again and the game runs flawlessly otherwise. I can run other, more demanding games without any issues at all so I presume the issue is related to the coding of WOWS.

Players
471 posts
8,459 battles

i noticed it yesterday and today at times i couldn't hit a single thing...admittedly that might be me but it did seem quite noticeable how much i was missing by.....well more than normal

Players
3,186 posts
4,773 battles

@Leo_Apollo11 It doesn't matter how big beast you have in your PC, this lag spikes / frame drops are server problem and this happens occasional between last few updates.

It happens to you, it was happening to me (when I was in Randoms), and it happens to many many other players.

And don't bother with your internet checking because im 99% sure you can't do anything on your side to fix this. Otherwise we all would be able to fix it but we can't.

[ALONE]
Modder
2,136 posts
13,652 battles

I had a similar strange observation while trying to test around with mod-coding lately and I think it is in the client, not just the server:

The game has several timer-functionalities, one of them can be used as a "tick" that pings regularly several times per seconds.

I let the game show me the time between these ticks and it is usually about 0.2 sec between each tick (+- some milliseconds) at an empty training room.

That tick - the time between updates in the gameloop - suddenly became up to or more than 0.6 sec when a lot of enemies were on screen in random.

That's up to 3x time for the game to update all infos, you can even notice the game-timer becoming ticking irregularly (and also wrong visibility-status)

Note that the FPS always are steady at 75 and the latency was good - it is either the game itself actually has become slower - or some cause I cannot figure out yet. :cap_yes:

[RONIN]
Players
235 posts
2,848 battles
1 hour ago, Smeggo said:

I had a similar strange observation while trying to test around with mod-coding lately and I think it is in the client, not just the server:

The game has several timer-functionalities, one of them can be used as a "tick" that pings regularly several times per seconds.

I let the game show me the time between these ticks and it is usually about 0.2 sec between each tick (+- some milliseconds) at an empty training room.

That tick - the time between updates in the gameloop - suddenly became up to or more than 0.6 sec when a lot of enemies were on screen in random.

That's up to 3x time for the game to update all infos, you can even notice the game-timer becoming ticking irregularly (and also wrong visibility-status)

Note that the FPS always are steady at 75 and the latency was good - it is either the game itself actually has become slower - or some cause I cannot figure out yet. :cap_yes:

what if we think about last thing in battle. that last second when it ticks to zero. then there is a period of wait time for battle results, shouldnt that be instant? not that it takes more then 5 seconds to display results of the game. what do you think?

Players
3,186 posts
4,773 battles
1 hour ago, Smeggo said:

Probably because servers are overpopulated in this covid situation and because wg employees are working from their homes so they can't maintain this game fully(?)

[PARAZ]
Players
2,591 posts
12,846 battles
4 hours ago, Hades_warrior said:

Probably because servers are overpopulated in this covid situation and because wg employees are working from their homes so they can't maintain this game fully(?)

Or, even more likely, there isn't any intention to provide extra funds to increase server capacity.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,405 posts
15,412 battles

Hi all,

I think it would be extremely valuable if we can see whether this can be emulated in the Replays as well... that way we would be able to determine whether it is connected to servers (i.e. remote) or game engine on PC (i.e. local)...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[BBMMX]
Players
1,053 posts
5,361 battles

Sounds like the same issue reported in this thread. The OP claimed he'd mitigated the issue by disabling replays; I haven't done that but the spikes I reported at the time have certainly reduced or I'm not playing for as long in a single session as I was then (Odin directives) so haven't noticed it.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,405 posts
15,412 battles

Hi all,

1 hour ago, Strapps said:

Sounds like the same issue reported in this thread. The OP claimed he'd mitigated the issue by disabling replays; I haven't done that but the spikes I reported at the time have certainly reduced or I'm not playing for as long in a single session as I was then (Odin directives) so haven't noticed it.

No... that was different IMHO...

I was talking about small "hiccups"  / "stuttering" events when everything was smooth and suddenly there is very short moment of "blockage" that lasts just for a  fraction of a second (i.e. just like you watch some move and suddenly the video "hiccup"  / "stutter" for one single frame) - it is barely noticeable but it is there... also the framerate drops were from steady 60 to 40/50 without any specific reason... so no mayor events and no big freezes...

Leo "Apollo11"

[WG]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,274 posts
3,518 battles
16 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

I thought this is a fix to CV - DD interaction tbh. Such a galaxybrain one too. Just let yourself get inspired by the bugs of your game and voila, new gameplay mechanic!

On a more serious note, @Crysantos @MrConway, care to take a look? I can provide the replay too if you'd like.

Weird. Can you send a ticket with the recording + replay please?

• Cool 1

Players
3,186 posts
4,773 battles
13 hours ago, Saiyko said:

Or, even more likely, there isn't any intention to provide extra funds to increase server capacity.

Well they should.

Players
1,106 posts
21,108 battles

I get a 1 second stutter once or twice per game, usually when I fire guns for the first time in battle, or a lot of enemy ships are suddenly spotted. But let's not forget it's a game optimized for dual core CPUs, so I am far from bothered.

Players
1,081 posts
12,626 battles

I've been having freezes lately where the game then fast forwards to catch up tend to last 10 secs or so, mostly happens when going from Free Camera to Binocular View which I tend to do between shots so I know whats going on around, it also happens when playing CVs and Flak spawns which means you loose a lot of planes and completely overshoot your target, means my Ark Royal is grounded for Clan Battles...