Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
dommo77

How to Yorck?

15 comments in this topic

[GJE]
Players
196 posts
3,316 battles

Ahoy Captains! :)

Need your help - how to master this German cruiser? This is a big change, so far in this tech tree I had only light cruiser, and I bet heavies are played differently. I have 10 pt captain for her atm. Played only one game in stock hull and I like her AP, she's quite agile for her size. What would be your recommendation to skills and upgrades? Thanks in advance!

Players
17 posts
91 battles

I played her when I grinded the German cruiser tree (back then) and was happy to get the Hipper. 

Recently I rebought her to get my wr above 50% on that ship.

I play her as a long range HE spammer while kiting away. She has good range for her tier. The AP is for short to midrange broadsides.

Build should be accordingly. Especially concealment to go dark in case the numbers of enemy ships targeting you are rising.

• Cool 2

[BBMMX]
Players
1,053 posts
5,361 battles

I found the AP quite 'floaty' at longer ranges, when I switched to HE it made a lot of difference. AP inside 10km when you have a broadside, HE otherwise. Standard 10-point cruiser CE build works well (PT or PM/AR/DE or SI/CE) and you have a turtleback for later in the game when you need to push in.

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
2,487 posts
11,145 battles

Yorck AP was buffed and it is no longer more floaty than the HE.

It also has better HE dpm than the T9 Roon and now has 25mm plating.

It's still not the best ship but is good at long range HE spam while nailing cruiser broadsides at all ranges.

The AP hasn't got great pen but it does very good damage.

• Cool 3

Weekend Tester
1,065 posts
7,671 battles

Yorck is a light cruiser pretending to be a heavy cruiser. Do not be fooled by its appearance. It still very much plays like the 2 light cruisers before it.

At tier 7 you still don't get the nice Flat arc fast AP shells that the Hipper and the rest get so play it from the back and Use more HE then AP.

I personally played the Yorck mid range where you can easily relocate you self to close quarter fighting or running away and continuing the HE spam. Broadsides you punish with AP at < 12 ish km.

Concealment and rudder shift are your best friends in the Yorck. Keep dancing around if spotted and don't show broadside, or you will get slam dunked. Brawl only if you're sure that you cannot be overmatched (358mm) and that you outclass the enemy. Torpedoes should play a factor in these decisions.

Upgrades:

Spoiler

image.png.495a09651e45d93dc875111ac72a69a0.png

You Can switch the 4th slot with the Rudder shift module, but i personally tend to do a lot more Stopping and going, so it suits my playstyle more.

Captain:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.045b852d68b521123eb15b7cea437cfb.png

Green is the 19th point, so take which ever you like more.

I think i got everything? Do tell if I didn't.:Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

[LEEUW]
Players
2,281 posts
10,074 battles
2 hours ago, dommo77 said:

Ahoy Captains! :)

Need your help - how to master this German cruiser? This is a big change, so far in this tech tree I had only light cruiser, and I bet heavies are played differently. I have 10 pt captain for her atm. Played only one game in stock hull and I like her AP, she's quite agile for her size. What would be your recommendation to skills and upgrades? Thanks in advance!

Do not be fooled: despite her big guns she is a rather squishy cruiser that doesnt do well tanking BBs. So stay at range, just like with Nurnberg.

The AP is very potent for dealing with broadsiding targets within a certain distance. Max range the AP will lose its penetrating power, so then youre better off with HE.

• Cool 1

[SHAD]
Players
2,487 posts
11,145 battles
1 hour ago, Srle_Vigilante said:

Yorck is a light cruiser pretending to be a heavy cruiser. Do not be fooled by its appearance. It still very much plays like the 2 light cruisers before it.

At tier 7 you still don't get the nice Flat arc fast AP shells that the Hipper and the rest get so play it from the back and Use more HE then AP.

I personally played the Yorck mid range where you can easily relocate you self to close quarter fighting or running away and continuing the HE spam. Broadsides you punish with AP at < 12 ish km.

Concealment and rudder shift are your best friends in the Yorck. Keep dancing around if spotted and don't show broadside, or you will get slam dunked. Brawl only if you're sure that you cannot be overmatched (358mm) and that you outclass the enemy. Torpedoes should play a factor in these decisions.

Upgrades:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.495a09651e45d93dc875111ac72a69a0.png

You Can switch the 4th slot with the Rudder shift module, but i personally tend to do a lot more Stopping and going, so it suits my playstyle more.

Captain:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.045b852d68b521123eb15b7cea437cfb.png

Green is the 19th point, so take which ever you like more.

I think i got everything? Do tell if I didn't.:Smile_smile:

That's no longer true. both Yorck and Hipper AP get to about 16.5km at 10 seconds flight time.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
1,065 posts
7,671 battles
1 minute ago, gopher31 said:

That's no longer true. both Yorck and Hipper AP get to about 16.5km at 10 seconds flight time.

Not my experience when I played it a month ago. Still more floaty then the Hipper.

[WTFNO]
Players
29 posts
3,607 battles
10 minutes ago, Srle_Vigilante said:

Not my experience when I played it a month ago. Still more floaty then the Hipper.

Wowsft says it's practically identical (with Yorck being a tiny bit better at long range):

german_ap.thumb.png.5eac294ecacbc1f9e9f892894b012602.png

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
26,262 posts
14,162 battles
1 hour ago, Srle_Vigilante said:

As shown above, Yorck has slightly better AP ballistics and penetration than Hipper and Hindenburg.

[BBMMX]
Players
1,053 posts
5,361 battles
55 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

As shown above, Yorck has slightly better AP ballistics and penetration than Hipper and Hindenburg.

I wonder if that's down to Yorck using 210mm guns instead of the 203mm on the later ships? 

[CATS]
Players
26,262 posts
14,162 battles
4 minutes ago, Strapps said:

I wonder if that's down to Yorck using 210mm guns instead of the 203mm on the later ships? 

No, that is down to WG improving her parameters.

Yorck´s shells have a better drag coefficient than the much more modern shells of the younger ships.

Her shells also have a slightly better Krupp factor, which describes the ability to penetrate armor (formfactor, shell hardness), despite having the less advanced shells.

Players
265 posts
5,107 battles

From a potato:

I got to the Yorck a year or so ago and it was just horrible, so I just quit the German cruiser line. I picked it back up after the buffs and we clicked!

I played conservatively at first, slinging HE, catching DDs off guard and punishing broadsides with AP. I found the Yorck's shells to be beefy and good!

Then I got to the Hipper. And I quit the German cruiser line again. But that's another discussion.

[CATS]
Players
26,262 posts
14,162 battles
21 minutes ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

From a potato:

I got to the Yorck a year or so ago and it was just horrible, so I just quit the German cruiser line. I picked it back up after the buffs and we clicked!

I played conservatively at first, slinging HE, catching DDs off guard and punishing broadsides with AP. I found the Yorck's shells to be beefy and good!

Then I got to the Hipper. And I quit the German cruiser line again. But that's another discussion.

The Yorck got improved in Sept 2018...

Sign in to follow this