You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NikolayKuznetsov

T1-T5 UK CL

30 comments in this topic

Players
521 posts
2,773 battles

I got one of my friends into the game, he wants British cruisers. The first couple tiers he kept telling me his guns do nothing against everything, so I checked it out. He's right. All those very low tier games are full of dreadnought battleships, weymouth, caledon, emerald, these ships can only shoot at superstructures lol. Maybe give tiers 1 through 5 HE weak HE shells? I personally don't care but if a new player gets this game and decides to go British cruiser he/she won't enjoy the game. I told him to yolo rush with torpedoes or try another tech tree and he's enjoying himself now.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,452 posts
13,455 battles
3 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

if a new player gets this game and decides to go British cruiser he/she won't enjoy the game.

The RN CLs are notoriously not newbie-friendly; if a new player *must* play RN cruisers, point them at the heavies.

Far better is to start with IJN and/or Americans - they're the classic learning trees; get the hang of them first before trying one of the weird lines.

• Cool 1

[SINT]
Players
852 posts
20,590 battles

Well the fun starts at uk T6 continues at T7. Stalls a bit at T8, T9 is a bit a downgrade. Mino is meme.

Going to unlock both ca and cl requires you to play the T4 double to unlock them both... The UK CL have a place in the game, the UK CA? Not sure what they contribute..

But as said before me, UK cruisers are not the easiest to start with. JPN has a good line ( only stock Furutaka is ehh). Soviet cruisers are good too, both lines. US is torpless, lazy arcs but dependable, I prefer the CA line though. French cruisers are a safe bet too. ITA needs you to slugg through the first 6 tiers...Germans are not great but not terrible average.

Players
521 posts
2,773 battles
6 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

The RN CLs are notoriously not newbie-friendly

I'm aware but try some T4-T5, it's not hard, it's impossible. 75% of ships are BBs plated in anywhere from 100 to 300mm, low tier british cruiser penetration values cap off at 90mm or something at 7km. The only way to play them is yolo torpedo.

• Bad 1

Players
3,310 posts
14,063 battles
4 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

I'm aware but try some T4-T5, it's not hard, it's impossible. 75% of ships are BBs plated in anywhere from 100 to 300mm, low tier british cruiser penetration values cap off at 90mm or something at 7km. The only way to play them is yolo torpedo.

Gonna have to disagree with you here. They can get work done well, especially against other cruisers, DD's and broadside BB's. But as others said. Highest skill CL/CA line by far.

• Cool 5

Players
92 posts
4,763 battles

the emerald has pretty good torps vs BBs

stop shooting your guns, pop smoke and be a DD if there are no DDs to shoot with your ap

or shoot at the enemy cruisers

emerald is a beautiful ship like no other, you just have to be insane enough to play her right 

• Cool 3

[AAO]
Players
1,546 posts
20,647 battles
5 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Most lines (less so the KM and at this tier RN and even less so the soviet one) do have plenty of parts where you can pen them though: The superstructure, upper belt and fore-and aft ends of the ship.

IJN BBs aren't clad in that much armor, MN ones are notoriously squishy and USN ones have all-or-nothing armor which means their broadside (like the french) can be penned everywhere but the belt from most ranges (with cruiser guns).

Also cruisers still exist and can be citadeled at leisure given the right opportunity.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
5,452 posts
13,455 battles
1 minute ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

They're definitely a line for experienced players; a newbie DD player would get their posterior similarly handed to them in French or Ikea DDs - same principle.

I was under the impression that RN CLs aren't meant to hunt BBs - you're all about scragging DDs, and other lighter cruisers. If you must shell BBs, isn't the consensus that the best you can do is shoot the superstructure, and do it from within smoke. You also get a heal too, but one that suggests not fighting BBs, as it doesn't help much against citadels.

I'm not a deranged elitist, but I think it's healthy for there to be a few 'expert'/'hard mode' lines in the game, even if I'm rubbish in them personally - if you could play a thousand games and be good in everything, where would be the longer-term challenge?

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
6,315 posts
24,210 battles
28 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

I got one of my friends into the game, he wants British cruisers. The first couple tiers he kept telling me his guns do nothing against everything, so I checked it out. He's right. All those very low tier games are full of dreadnought battleships, weymouth, caledon, emerald, these ships can only shoot at superstructures lol. Maybe give tiers 1 through 5 HE weak HE shells? I personally don't care but if a new player gets this game and decides to go British cruiser he/she won't enjoy the game. I told him to yolo rush with torpedoes or try another tech tree and he's enjoying himself now.

Maybe he should try shooting stuff CLs are supposed to shoot instead of dreadnoughts?

• Cool 3

[SHAFT]
Players
9,555 posts
8,858 battles

If he plays alone, he should be in protected MM. No issue, its ridiculous what you can do there, but it might teach bad habits. Atleast till T4, T5 ofc starts normal MM (or after 200 games).

You can pen cruisers fine, even overmatch most parts on T3. T4 not anymore.

26 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

these ships can only shoot at superstructures lol.

That doesnt change really. Except the Superstructures get bigger on highertier BBs, but shooting superstructures continues even till T6-7. And for german/russian BBs it stays like that till T10 even, unless you are close enough to either reliably hit bow/stern or pen upper belt.

In protected MM, its usually a lot of Cruisers and 80% Bots. You can torprush those dreadnoughts. And once you are T5+, you dont have to do that anymore.

• Cool 1

Players
1,437 posts
37 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Gonna have to disagree with you. Yolo torp means putting your ship in risk of getting destroyed before launching the torps. Your friend can play them cautiously. They have low concealment for a reason. Sneak attack, ambush and spotting. Especially Emerald is op with the smoke and hydro. About the BB plating, it is important to shoot at broad sided targets. Shooting at bowed in ships must be the last option, hence, positioning with UK Cls is extremely important. Below are my stats for t4-5 UK Cls and except a couple of games i played in each when reset the line like two months ago, most of the games in them are pretty much dated years back to when i was more potato. Tell him not to rush, and play carefully.

uk cl.JPG

• Cool 3

[-TPF-]
Players
3,834 posts
15,800 battles
39 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I was under the impression that RN CLs aren't meant to hunt BBs - you're all about scragging DDs, and other lighter cruisers. If you must shell BBs, isn't the consensus that the best you can do is shoot the superstructure, and do it from within smoke. You also get a heal too, but one that suggests not fighting BBs, as it doesn't help much against citadels.

They're a mixed bunch. Weymouth isn't really meant to see BBs at all (but she's actually quite tanky, could easily be a Tier III or IV),  Caledon is a big destroyer, Danae is an ambusher.  The AP can be effective against armoured targets but it needs proper aim and confidence in using it. For a new starter, I would go with the French cruisers, as they've got a better balance... Duguay Trouin at Tier IV is a good ship with a powerful torpedo broadside.

• Cool 2

Players
713 posts

The RN cruisers actually were the first line I played (back before the heavies came in, so it was just one line all the way up). To be honest, I'd argue they're actually a better line for a player to start with because a) the extra challenge helps them learn (penning BBs is easy when you learn how, which has a knock-on effect with other light cruisers later on) and b) they're not going to fall into bad HE-spamming habits. I've happily Kraken'd in Danae before. These days, I actually tend to find the guns in other light cruisers to be rather underwhelming by comparison (not to mention the general lack of heal and smoke).

[-TPF-]
Players
3,834 posts
15,800 battles
7 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

To be honest, I'd argue they're actually a better line for a player to start with because a) the extra challenge helps them learn (penning BBs is easy when you learn how, which has a knock-on effect with other light cruisers later on) and b) they're not going to fall into bad HE-spamming habits.

I would have to say that I failed heavily and often in the RN ones when they came out. Danae, especially, is extremely vulnerable if not angled well. It's a great ship with huge potential, but you won't learn how to unlock it if you're exploding all the time. And I played the original Emerald, too, a ship that made you feel like you couldn't even afford to get spotted. God knows how that works in the CV Meta.

Players
713 posts
5 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

I would have to say that I failed heavily and often in the RN ones when they came out. Danae, especially, is extremely vulnerable if not angled well. It's a great ship with huge potential, but you won't learn how to unlock it if you're exploding all the time. And I played the original Emerald, too, a ship that made you feel like you couldn't even afford to get spotted. God knows how that works in the CV Meta.

Guessing they've had some buffs between then and when I started; they were certainly fragile when I was coming up through them the first time, but I figured it came with the light cruiser territory so I wasn't terribly disappointed and just kinda learned to adapt (another advantage of learning on that line!) ;) Now I use my Emerald for any mission requiring lots of citadels, torp hits and/or cap defends, still works better for me than just about any other ship...

Players
415 posts
24,678 battles

I once fought a Caledon in my St. Louis.

I was Broadside and shooting He he was angled and shooting AP.

Who got Citadelled? The Caledon of Course.

After a Minute he was under the Water and I did not lost much HP

I also enjoyed shooting those British Cruisers in my BBs because they had these Huge Citadells.

I did not enjoy them because the Enemy could just angle against you and you could not use He.

Emerald was ´workable because you had a Smoke.

But the real Fun started after Tier 5.

• Funny 1

Players
8,116 posts
8,931 battles

T1 is T1, noone cares. Ok some do, but who cares about them? While I heard Black Swan is no longer the Queen of "competitive T1", it shouldn't be hard to get to T2 in 2 games tops.

T2, almost same. Lack of BBs though. You should be able to shoot some cruisers that aren't angled. Heck, I dunno, maybe armour down there can be overmatched anyway.

T3-T4, ok, I admit, Caledon and Danae aren't extremely fun to play. At least I didn't like them much during regrind. But it's more because teams were lineups of Hosho and Gangut and that is painful. T4 in general I avoid these for months now. While I'd usually disagree with the comment on yolotorping, you can actually yolotorp surprisingly well up to T5 and might have done it myself a fair bit. If you aren't just straight up fed up with crap though, use that power lategame. But Danae can basically bowtank most ships it meets.

T5 Emerald is okish. Since the buffs, it at least isn't the worst T5 anymore getting HE citpenned. It can be quite tanky and has 6 torps per side, a smoke and some ok dpm. Honestly, try to fight more cruisers and DDs, less BBs.

At the end comes Leander, which is just great.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,834 posts
15,800 battles

Emerald is a fine ship these days, but when she was released she had 10mm on the bow and 25mm citadel deck. (Now 13 and 40). Which meant that anything with 14 inch guns or bigger would overmatch your deck (instant citadel along the whole centre of the boat),  and you could get citadelled by German cruisers firing HE. Everytime you got spotted every gun on the enemy team would turn in your direction... it was nightmarish.

• Cool 2

[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,788 battles
1 hour ago, NobleSauvage said:

To be honest, I'd argue they're actually a better line for a player to start

Back in the old days when there were only IJN and USN the word was "if you're going to play DDs, start with the USN." The USN DD having shorter range torps meant that you had to plan and really set up your attack rather than the long range "Torpedo-soup"  that the IJN used. Learning this playstyle first helped the transition to IJN but if you did it the other way around you had to learn from the start, again. USN playstyle worked in IJN but not the other way around. Russian DDs are a bit the same but they have the HP and speed to YOLO once in a while.

I agree that RN CLs is not a good place to start for a new player if he/she doesn't take the time to learn about autobounce, fuse time, smoke firing and stuff like that. Also, the notorious weak armour of the RN CLs makes them hard to play even when you don't use your guns.

• Cool 2

[BODEM]
Players
750 posts
6,793 battles

RN CL up to and Danae should be played as DDs and have a nice 50-50 mix of guns and torps, using islands to get close. Guns are best used on the unsuspecting, the new ppl and the almost dead. Emerald can already do better gun stuff, followed by Leander. Fiji is king and from that ship on out the fun stuff really start Imho. 

• Cool 1

Players
521 posts
2,773 battles
3 hours ago, Bunny_Lover_Kallen said:

At the end comes Leander, which is just great.

Yes I noticed at T6 when they can actually penetrate armor with the AP shells, you know, the only shells they have kek, they are fun. And pretty damn powerful too. I was lined up against a ton of German & Russian BBs in the few games I played with T4s/T5s and there's very little you can actually do. Low tier Russians don't have much superstructure to aim for. The Leander is cool and I hear the Fiji is too.

Players
1,080 posts
12,594 battles
11 minutes ago, NikolayKuznetsov said:

Yes I noticed at T6 when they can actually penetrate armor with the AP shells, you know, the only shells they have kek, they are fun. And pretty damn powerful too. I was lined up against a ton of German & Russian BBs in the few games I played with T4s/T5s and there's very little you can actually do. Low tier Russians don't have much superstructure to aim for. The Leander is cool and I hear the Fiji is too.

Fiji is probably the strongest T7 Cruiser and other than at the job of hunting DDs I find it stronger than Belfast...

Players
521 posts
2,773 battles

Powergap between Emerald and Leander is insane, could not get anything done in Emerald, in Leander I topped the scoreboard 3X in my first 4 games, lv6 captain, no modules, no upgrades. Crazy boats british light cruisers

[GW_KR]
Players
215 posts
12,034 battles
9 hours ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Gonna have to disagree with you. Yolo torp means putting your ship in risk of getting destroyed before launching the torps. Your friend can play them cautiously. They have low concealment for a reason. Sneak attack, ambush and spotting. Especially Emerald is op with the smoke and hydro. About the BB plating, it is important to shoot at broad sided targets. Shooting at bowed in ships must be the last option, hence, positioning with UK Cls is extremely important. Below are my stats for t4-5 UK Cls and except a couple of games i played in each when reset the line like two months ago, most of the games in them are pretty much dated years back to when i was more potato. Tell him not to rush, and play carefully.

uk cl.JPG

Totally agree. They are so underestimated that you can do quite a lot before they even notice you. 

• Cool 2

Players
9,867 posts
11,573 battles
10 hours ago, Verblonde said:

The RN CLs are notoriously not newbie-friendly; if a new player *must* play RN cruisers, point them at the heavies.

That still involves slugging through tiers 1-5, only to get overall mediocre CA in the end.

• Cool 1