You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Saltface

About in game foul language, insults and being offended

105 comments in this topic

[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
10,012 battles

The rules of the forum are here: 

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/announcement/3-world-of-warships-forum-rules/

I took extra care not to break any rule. And I didn't. 

When answering to my thread do not break any rules. 

I want this thread to stay and not be locked because some want to troll.

About in game foul language, insults and being offended

I think we have established up to now that I do take extra care before I write anything. I don't use foul language. It shows poor intellect and I am trying very hard not to show how dumb I am. LOL

All jokes aside, you can say things that have a serious impact on the other person without resorting to foul language.

Its (lets say) part of the aesthetics of life. I prefer a nice eloquent discourse than two apes shouting insults at each other.

As I don't use bad language, someone could ask if I get offended if someone calls me a "m_ng" a "re__rd" or a "dumb fu__ing idiot"?

OFC NOT

Why get offended or insulted if someone you don't know, in a small box of chat, in some game at some moment in time, typed something stupid? As far as my aesthetics are concerned I don't like what I read sometimes. Come on now. What is the value of reading four letter words void of content with no background intelligence at work? FFS they don't even type the swearing correctly. I visualize them as incoherent words babbled over a scratchy speaker. At least if you want to insult someone put some intellect and effort to it. Lazy bums. They cant even swear right.

So, I find the people that do complain about stuff like that to be on the mushy and weak side of the spectrum of life.

You call them snowflakes. I call them unfortunate. Damn....I wouldn't want to be so soft skinned and have to face the world....lol

What I also find rather entertaining is that most people that complain about bad chat messages or "toxic" language (what a stupid word) or "toxic" environment etc live sheltered and rich lives protected by everything except from the "toxic" bad words that made their ears drop off and had their feelings hurt. Or should I say eyes because it is a text chat after all?

So my opinion about both sides of this equation is the following:

People that do try to insult others by use of foul language in game are insecure, frustrated weaklings that try to generate endorphin secretion in their empty brains. And I also find them cowards. They would never dare use language like that in RL. Why? because maybe, just maybe, a guy that is 185 and 110 Kg with a scared face will get up and smack them good and send them home crying. 

People that get insulted so easy are well.....softies that cant handle the world so they run to "mamma moderator" and file a report "teacher teacher he called me a bad word". Unfortunate ones. Too soft to handle life. I would suggest to them to get tougher. To build their self confidence to a level that "silly, stupid VOID words in chat" wont touch them. Grow some balls, it will help.

My suggestion

Try to be nice in chat. If you cant avoid saying something bad try saying it with a bit of brains. It sounds better and it works better. And wont get you chat banned. LOL

Don't be easily offended. If being insulted in chat over a game of pixel boats is the worst thing in your life you should consider yourself lucky.

And

STOP reporting each other. You behave like children. But maybe you are just that. Spoiled brats. 

PS - I have been chat banned once - 3 days - 

Edited by Saltface
Corrected an Error
  • Cool 13
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

[PISH]
Players
370 posts
3,068 battles

As someone who's never been chat banned and I try to teamplay and be friendly in chat here's my two cents. This forum and most youtubers are a cesspool of confirmation bias that serves no purpose. People then just blare out the same opinions and don't look at the issue from all sides. That and that I have yet to see a single chat ban complain thread or a cry about toxicity actually provide valid proof of the claim. Or show their own involvement in what caused it. Overall people should first think "How can I do better." then think "How can I help the team better" and go from there.

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,600 posts
13,564 battles

It's unfortunate that we live in a generation of ''Me me me!!'' and general snowflakery at large. 

Especially in the west

• Cool 13
  • Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
26,262 posts
14,162 battles
45 minutes ago, Saltface said:

STOP reporting each other. You behave like children. But maybe you are just that. Spoiled brats. 

PS - I have been chat banned once - 3 days - 

And complaining about a number going down that says nothing is not childish?

[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
10,012 battles
6 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

And complaining about a number going down that says nothing is not childish?

Mate you are so Laconic with your answers I some times don't get what you want to say. Care to elaborate please.

Players
866 posts
8,891 battles
49 minutes ago, Saltface said:

The rules of the forum are here: 

People that do try to insult others by use of foul language in game are insecure, frustrated weaklings that try to generate endorphin secretion in their empty brains. And I also find them cowards. They would never dare use language like that in RL. Why? because maybe, just maybe, a guy that is 185 and 110 Kg with a scared face will get up and smack them good and send them home crying. 

People that get insulted so easy are well.....softies that cant handle the world so they run to "mamma moderator" and file a report "teacher teacher he called me a bad word". Unfortunate ones. Too soft to handle life. I would suggest to them to get tougher. To build their self confidence to a level that "silly, stupid VOID words in chat" wont touch them. Grow some balls, it will help.

Your assumption about people using insults and foul language is just plain wrong you can't tar everyone with the same stick.
It is known that highly intelligent people swear more as they use their full vocabulary https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists don't get me wrong that doesn't mean everyone that swears a lot is intelligent.
And when frustrated by people in your team it can be easy to blow a lid and say something there are a lot of times when it is deserved and a lot of times where people should look in the mirror.
I was Army for 8 1/2 yrs I don't care if you are the other side of the world behind your PC or stood in front of me I will give you both barrels if you deserve it.
But again that obviously isn't true for all and yes some people would only do this online.

You have also not considered mental health conditions like Aspergers etc.

As for the snowflakes yes they shouldn't let things get to them so much but you also forget the games age rating there are chidren that play the game.
And while I wish we had some sort of adult mode we have to go with the system that is in place.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles

While I agree entirely with the spirit of your post I take some mild issue with the letter of it.

Firstly, the idea that the use of "bad" language indicates low intelligence is a commonly held misconception that not only has no basis in fact is actually frequently the complete opposite of the truth as detailed in this article and many others - https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists

It is an oft-told story in our family that when I was still just a toddler my uncle was reading an article that stated "on average an infant knows around 40 words by the time they are two" and upon reading this he exclaimed "Jesus, this kid knew 40 swear words by the time he was two, let alone all the others." I have always been intellectually gifted and as such have an incredibly extensive vocabulary from which to draw. I also swear like a phuqing trooper - there really is no connection.

Secondly, the whole concept of "bad" language is a nonsense - at least in the sense that it is commonly understood. The words that a society consider to be expletives and the reason those words are considered as such are varied and change over time as social and political landscapes change. I could write an entire essay on this subject but in all honesty that is far more effort than this forum warrants plus the moderators regularly show no appreciation of nuance so I'll give it a miss for now but I will say if you want a "pocket guide" to the idea then go on youtube and search for the "Susie Dent guide to swearing" videos - the one about the "C word" is particularly informative.

When I say the concept of "bad" language is a nonsense I mean that with regard to expletives and the like. The concept of bad language does exist but it is not where you would think to look. Most people here would not even notice truly bad language when they see/hear it but it does exist. Allow me to give you a couple of contemporary examples...

The first on my list would be the word "Jealous" - this is frequently used in place of the correct term "envious" despite the fact that they are essentially opposite in meaning. To be jealous is to not want someone else to have what one has whereas to be envious is to want what somebody else has. This incorrect use of the term is so ubiquitous now that it is often difficult, if not impossible, to know which the speaker actually means and so the context in which it is used often has to be scrutinised in order to establish which idea is being stated. Consequently we are losing, linguistically, the concept of envy and envious as they are being blended and synonimised with the concept of jealous and jealousy. THIS is bad language.

Second on my list is the word "literally". People say literally when they literally mean figuratively so often now that at least one dictionary, that I know of, has now included the word "literally" to mean "figuratively" with the consequence that one word now means itself and its exact opposite. Let that sink in for a moment. This nonsensical state of affairs is far more indicative of bad language than the occasional phuq as again it means that linguistically we are losing the precise meaning of the word literally (and figuratively).

My last issue with your post is more personal in nature. As someone who lost a lot of their teeth at quite an early age due to a hereditary condition that causes weakening of the jaw bone exacerbated by (what some ignorants would call) a misspent youth (misspent my arse - I loved every minute) your use of that particular imagery in connection with somebody having low intelligence was humorous , to say the least :) But hey, you weren't to know.

Everything else you say I agree with entirely, particularly the bit about using wit rather than expletives to insult. It is far better if one can insult someone in such a way that they don't actually realise you are doing so (better still if everyone else does).

• Cool 4

Players
866 posts
8,891 battles
3 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

While I agree entirely with the spirit of your post I take some mild issue with the letter of it.

Firstly, the idea that the use of "bad" language indicates low intelligence is a commonly held misconception that not only has no basis in fact is actually frequently the complete opposite of the truth as detailed in this article and many others - https://www.sciencealert.com/swearing-is-a-sign-of-more-intelligence-not-less-say-scientists

It is an oft-told story in our family that when I was still just a toddler my uncle was reading an article that stated "on average an infant knows around 40 words by the time they are two" and upon reading this he exclaimed "Jesus, this kid knew 40 swear words by the time he was two, let alone all the others." I have always been intellectually gifted and as such have an incredibly extensive vocabulary from which to draw. I also swear like a phuqing trooper - there really is no connection.

Secondly, the whole concept of "bad" language is a nonsense - at least in the sense that it is commonly understood. The words that a society consider to be expletives and the reason those words are considered as such are varied and change over time as social and political landscapes change. I could write an entire essay on this subject but in all honesty that is far more effort than this forum warrants plus the moderators regularly show no appreciation of nuance so I'll give it a miss for now but I will say if you want a "pocket guide" to the idea then go on youtube and search for the "Susie Dent guide to swearing" videos - the one about the "C word" is particularly informative.

When I say the concept of "bad" language is a nonsense I mean that with regard to expletives and the like. The concept of bad language does exist but it is not where you would think to look. Most people here would not even notice truly bad language when they see/hear it but it does exist. Allow me to give you a couple of contemporary examples...

The first on my list would be the word "Jealous" - this is frequently used in place of the correct term "envious" despite the fact that they are essentially opposite in meaning. To be jealous is to not want someone else to have what one has whereas to be envious is to want what somebody else has. This incorrect use of the term is so ubiquitous now that it is often difficult, if not impossible, to know which the speaker actually means and so the context in which it is used often has to be scrutinised in order to establish which idea is being stated. Consequently we are losing, linguistically, the concept of envy and envious as they are being blended and synonimised with the concept of jealous and jealousy. THIS is bad language.

Second on my list is the word "literally". People say literally when they literally mean figuratively so often now that at least one dictionary, that I know of, has now included the word "literally" to mean "figuratively" with the consequence that one word now means itself and its exact opposite. Let that sink in for a moment. This nonsensical state of affairs is far more indicative of bad language than the occasional phuq as again it means that linguistically we are losing the precise meaning of the word literally (and figuratively).

My last issue with your post is more personal in nature. As someone who lost a lot of their teeth at quite an early age due to a hereditary condition that causes weakening of the jaw bone exacerbated by (what some ignorants would call) a misspent youth (misspent my arse - I loved every minute) your use of that particular imagery in connection with somebody having low intelligence was humorous , to say the least :) But hey, you weren't to know.

Everything else you say I agree with entirely, particularly the bit about using wit rather than expletives to insult. It is far better if one can insult someone in such a way that they don't actually realise you are doing so (better still if everyone else does).

lol same link I grabbed great minds and all that :cap_like:

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles
1 minute ago, Eternus_Damnatio said:

lol same link I grabbed great minds and all that :cap_like:

Yeah, I was far too verbose in my response and so you beat me to it :)

• Funny 1

[TTT]
Players
2,098 posts
21,172 battles
1 hour ago, Saltface said:

I don't use foul language.

FFS they don't even type the swearing correctly.

I like your intelligent use of the well known phrase 'for flower's sake'. ;-)

Some people take all this so seriously, I never understand why. Aren't we playing this for fun? I guess it sucks when people spoil your fun, especially when it seems to be on purpose but it's a waste of blood pressure for some random guy on the internet imo. This special kind of people is a (big) part of this game and that will never change. Learn to deal with that or just go play something else if you can't do that.

yuheff2bemad.jpg.b8c30ba3994583228d352a6a286cbf2e.jpg

• Cool 2

Players
866 posts
8,891 battles

Something I forgot to add is that words are just words it is all about the context in which they are used it annoys the hell out of me when people get snowflake about a word despite the context.

Players
472 posts
1,506 battles

yeah, of course smart people swear.

BUT

smart people also know when not to swear publicly and that is the difference.

Saxon has some very good swear words and most people wont know what you're saying.........

• Cool 3

Players
473 posts
8,462 battles

i like the saltyness......i torped an Alaska B to death in my Tallinn earlier and got called a loser and [edited]tard.....aboslutely loved it, nothing like a bad loser to make the victory that much sweeter

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
3,315 posts
14,063 battles

I swear all times the and mi Englunds is dammm neer purfekt and my QI is above 90 trillion!!! :Smile_izmena:

• Funny 3

[BHSFL]
Players
3,477 posts

Toxic comments and foul langugae serve no purpose but to relieve ones own irritation. It acomplishes nothing. It is very common for persons that have no fundament for their opinion or cannot put it into words. Even more common is straight up intolerance for any ways to see something different then themselves do.These person will not even discuss, it is straight up tocxicness and foul words. This is a sign of weakness.

It is the one that can keep calm and stay polite no matter what he faces in general commands a lot of respect. This is seen as the one with greater intellect as he can control his rage and irritations. While a  toxic and foul word using individual does not as this is common.

As a politician you cannot throw a rage fit each time when a member of an opposing party says something you don't agree with either. Even not when it makes you blood boil. You counter argue with them as getting angry will make you look unfit to be in that profession. Professional people in general  also rarely ( or not at all ) should get angry while they are at work. Or they will not be considered professionals.

Why would it be any different here ? When you are a professional player......why get into a rage fit at all ????  You know the game and it's limitations.....and you have no control over others. You may not and will not have that in this game. If you need such things, go play a game with obedient AI units that do you every bidding. Then you truely have yourself to blame for all your mistakes.

• Boring 1

Players
3,315 posts
14,063 battles
2 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Professional people in general  also rarely ( or not at all ) should get angry while they are at work. Or they will not be considered professionals.

Anger is a legitimate emotion that even the best can not suppress in a high stress state. Letting out anger is actually healthier than holding it in. There is a time to let genuine anger out and be known. And if any colleague of mine was to exhibit anger, I would not think any less of their professionalism as context needs to be applied.

Speaking as someone who has worked in some of the highest pressure situations you can get and continues to do so on occasions.

• Cool 3

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,600 posts
13,564 battles
10 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

As a politician you cannot throw a rage fit each time when a member of an opposing party says something you don't agree with either.

o rly?

• Funny 6

[-TPF-]
Players
3,838 posts
15,844 battles
30 minutes ago, Molly_Delaney said:

smart people also know when not to swear publicly and that is the difference.

The moderators will probably swoop in shortly and say that it's all wrong, on the basis that the game environment needs to be kept as welcoming as possible. And in an era where reputations can be publicly wrecked overnight, I'm sure the game proprietors wouldn't want anything nasty to be found festering in their game, either - as it will if swearing and aggression are normalised. So best keep it clean.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,477 posts
11 minutes ago, Bear__Necessities said:

Anger is a legitimate emotion that even the best can not suppress in a high stress state. Letting out anger is actually healthier than holding it in.

Some romanic launguage area politicians are notorious for that. They attack each other fysically and the room changes into a brawl....now does that look professional ? ( hint : no you are then the laughing stock of the world )

I do agree the line of work will be decisive if displaying anger is allowed or even encouraged. But in general people will regard angry people in a profession as unprofessional. It depends a lot on culture too. In cold countries hotheads command no respect.

Players
3,315 posts
14,063 battles
1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

Some romanic launguage area politicians are notorious for that. They attack each other fysically and the room changes into a brawl....now does that look professional ? ( hint : no you are then the laughing stock of the world )

I do agree the line of work will be decisive if displaying anger is allowed or even encouraged. But in general people will regard angry people in a profession as unprofessional. It depends a lot on culture too. In cold countries hotheads command no respect.

Your assumption is anger is just swearing and shouting at other people. 

[RO-RN]
Players
873 posts
10,625 battles

AH but where would the fun be at? That is like wanting a CS GO without all the [edited], CYKA,PIZDEC,PULA))). just a silent ghost game...NAH I prefer a RAGE one filled with Emotions.

Players
866 posts
8,891 battles
2 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

I do agree the line of work will be decisive if displaying anger is allowed or even encouraged. But in general poeple will regard angry people in a profession as unprofessional. It depends a lot on culture too. In cold countries hotheads command no respect.

I have lost my rag with peeps a fair few times mostly because they fail to accept they did anything wrong which I find utterly irritating if I make a mistake I own it.
When people can just say sorry yeah I screwed up or the like I would happily chat with them give them pointers etc as they are obviously willing to learn.

[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
10,012 battles
2 hours ago, Saltface said:

It shows poor intellect

1 hour ago, Eternus_Damnatio said:

Your assumption about people using insults and foul language is just plain wrong .............

38 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

Firstly, the idea that the use of "bad" language indicates low intelligence is a commonly held misconception that not on  ...............

I will stand corrected.

I should have phrased it differently. But I was lazy.

I should have written "People that try to diminish others or intimidate others with foul language in a video game chat" or something along these lines. I overgeneralized. 

However, I will make the following distinction.....written vs verbal. It is different if we speak between our friends and different when we address others in writing.

There is difference between "What the Phuq" and "Phuq Off". Context.

And if we try to keep in the context of what I said, you are right but.....ok...it should be phrased in another way.

But I agree with you. The premise should be presented in an alternate way to avoid these kind of misconceptions.

Thank you both for bringing this one up.

2 hours ago, Saltface said:

I visualize them as toothless [edited] that babble incoherent words.

Sorry...and you know you would be the last person I d want to offend or make feel bad. If it is any consolation I also have no teeth or nose due to my youth. And I wouldn't also change anything of my youth years.

What if I replace it with "incoherent words babbled over a scratchy loudspeaker"?

46 minutes ago, Ze_Reckless said:

I like your intelligent use of the well known phrase 'for flower's sake'. ;-)

First of all congrats for beating us in our last clan encounter. 

And this is a very good remark. I saw it many times while reading my post and I left it. 

Again my laziness is to blame. But it doesn't change what I wrote, I think.

It is a bit contradictory but not in the context of try not to insult others.

Just to repeat myself (lol) there is difference between "What the Phuq" and "Phuq Off". Context.

Beta Tester
1,971 posts
12,852 battles
Just now, Eternus_Damnatio said:

When people can just say sorry yeah I screwed up...

Quick tip for those who haven't figured it out yet but this is THE best way to diffuse such a situation.

Nobody will think you are a [insert topic relevant word here] for making a mistake if you admit it but they WILL think you one for not doing so.

• Cool 2