You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ItsJustAFleshWound

How do I counter CVs in ranked?

59 comments in this topic

Players
108 posts
900 battles

Hello.

I've been playing Lightning and Cossack in ranked, try to go to a cap but the anti fun air force are constantly spotting me and sh*tting on me with their rockets, which is not as bad with dodging but how do I remain unseen (the spotting mechanics are unbelievably crap)

How do I counter this? I hate complaining about CVs because I know it's pointless,  WeeGee are too busy drawing some new sekrit soviet designs, but seriously what is fair about having something be able to attack all corners of the map without risking it's hull and having tools to wreck everything.

TLDR: How do I remain unseen from the anti fun air force (especially for ranked since there are less ships so they usually go for me)

(Mods, please don't lock this, we know WG think CVs are a resounding success but they really aren't, and I actually included valid points as to how CVs are broken.)

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,783 posts
19,478 battles
2 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

How do I counter this?

By not playing DDs.

Yes, I'm serious.

• Cool 11

Players
108 posts
900 battles
Just now, Execute0rder66 said:

One doesn't counter CVs.

CVs counter them all. 

unfortunately this is actually true..

This annoys me so much.. It doesn't take spreadsheets to know that CVs are broken and their abilities are ruining the experience for some people.

I'd actually want to see the dev teams response as to why CVs are the way they are? Does WG not play their own game?

Instead of fixing game issues we get Petropavlovsk, funny considering the Soviet navy didn't have the knowledge to build anything near the way that is, yet Kriegsmarine ships that actually performed well IRL (Bismarck, yes it got sunk but apparently the armour took the hits quite well) get crap everything.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[NMA]
Players
1,221 posts
18,556 battles
8 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

How do I counter this?

First what you want to do is type in chat: "stick together for AA". Then you strap your DD onto a cruisers hull, like, hug it really really close. Then, as a single blob of pixels, you sail into a cap praying to RNGesus CV doesn't know what he is doing.

Now you ask: "What is my role as a DD if I'm to sail together with all other ships?"

WG employee will provide an answer to that questions

• Funny 7

Players
108 posts
900 battles
1 minute ago, quickr said:

First what you want to do is type in chat: "stick together for AA". Then you strap your DD onto a cruisers hull, like, hug it really really close. Then, as a single blob of pixels, you sail into a cap praying to RNGesus CV doesn't know what he is doing.

Now you ask: "What is my role as a DD if I'm to sail together with all other ships?"

Well WeeGee won't provide an answer, probably because they know they messed up, badly. but don't want to admit that they are going to end up killing their own game... again.

• Cool 4

Players
1,415 posts
3 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

unfortunately this is actually true..

This annoys me so much.. It doesn't take spreadsheets to know that CVs are broken and their abilities are ruining the experience for some people.

I'd actually want to see the dev teams response as to why CVs are the way they are? Does WG not play their own game?

Instead of fixing game issues we get Petropavlovsk, funny considering the Soviet navy didn't have the knowledge to build anything near the way that is, yet Kriegsmarine ships that actually performed well IRL (Bismarck, yes it got sunk but apparently the armour took the hits quite well) get crap everything.

If you want to play dds in ranked, your pick of Cossack or it could be lightning too, is the best choice among them. It has enough smokes to avoid cv attacks (but not enough to stop them). So we come to what Erazer wrote,  don't play dds. A different class can give you better results in the long run.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,429 posts
48 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

Hello.

I've been playing Lightning and Cossack in ranked, try to go to a cap but the anti fun air force are constantly spotting me and sh*tting on me with their rockets, which is not as bad with dodging but how do I remain unseen (the spotting mechanics are unbelievably crap)

How do I counter this? I hate complaining about CVs because I know it's pointless,  WeeGee are too busy drawing some new sekrit soviet designs, but seriously what is fair about having something be able to attack all corners of the map without risking it's hull and having tools to wreck everything.

TLDR: How do I remain unseen from the anti fun air force (especially for ranked since there are less ships so they usually go for me)

(Mods, please don't lock this, we know WG think CVs are a resounding success but they really aren't, and I actually included valid points as to how CVs are broken.)

Only way is : ( disclaimer : it is in my experience in CV and DD )

-try to remain unseen with AA off. But there is a downside to that when you are "missing" in the enemy fleet the CV will get nervous and hunt you high and low. He then expects you to pop up near him and possibly sink him. His teams BB will expect the DD coming for them "spottt the DD !!! or report !"

-try to remain ( ahead but) near to your fleet.  If any effect* it will comfort the enemy CV and BB you are not "missing" and might pop up ( torpedoes that is ) next to them. His dedication to sinking you will still be high but he may wait to get better opertunities ( less losses ) attacking you. And go for something easier ( lone isolated BB somewhere ) in the meantime.

- Hope that you are but 1 in 3 or 4 DD's...there really is safety in numbers, especially if you are the one that attracts least attention. ( no machinegunning your guns and shut AA down when you not absolutely need it  )

* As CV it does make me turn away as i don't like losses from Cruiser AA fire when not lining up and getting a score in return for my losses. So a DD near it's Cruisers is relative safe from me for the time being as flying into them shreds planes.....for all ( but unicum players or so they claim ) CV players plane loss management is important. You should not take losses if you get no proper reward in return.

Players
866 posts
3,425 battles
23 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

Hello.

you don't... you get shafted by CV regardless of what you play, even CV, except if you are a good CV player yourself

I'm trying to reach rank 12, been at 13 with a star 5 times already, every time MM sees to it that we don't win, and every battle there are CV, and all of them are thoroughly unenjoyable

now I'm back at rank 15... mind you, I started with rank 13 and a star...

Beta Tester
300 posts
5,819 battles
18 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

Hello.

You can cap when he strikes something else, smoke before he spots you if you have it available (make sure to disappear from that smoke prematurely back to your mates).

Use the fighters your friendly CV gives you correctly. They will only successfully engage before the strike if the fighter center is between you and the enemy attack squadron. Not just a centimeter either. Don't turn on your AA thinking you are safe sitting squad middle in it.

The CV player cannot afford waiting for you. He has to keep the ball rolling. Every time he comes with rocket planes and doesn't strike at you is good for you.

It might not sound appealing, but you strike when the rocket planes are not there, don't be too far from your mates unless the opportunity for it is there, smoke EARLY against them. If you stall the enemy CV properly you help your team.

[THESO]
Players
953 posts
8,482 battles
22 minutes ago, Greyshark said:

Use smoke.

I would wait out British short duration smoke tough.. Use usn dds if you rely on your smoke.. 

[IDDQD]
Players
482 posts
12,701 battles
40 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

Hello.

I've been playing Lightning and Cossack in ranked

with those 2? super simple

- ignore DB and TBs, with just a little practice, those wont harm you at all (you can smoke US DBs if you find yourself in bad position or low HP)

- pop smoke when hes going for you with rockets (don't delay too much, but neither too soon)

- keep AA disabled until you are confident enough you can get detected at that position

- DON'T OVEREXTEND, you don't hunt solo in CV games, keep friendly ship 5-8km from you all the time for possible retreat, your hydro will also be protecting them

• Cool 3

Players
866 posts
3,425 battles
19 minutes ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

Well WeeGee won't provide an answer, probably because they know they messed up, badly. but don't want to admit that they are going to end up killing their own game... again.

and what's more - CVs even shaft you when it comes to losing a star or not, because they mostly take the first place in the losing team too.

• Boring 1

[NMA]
Players
1,221 posts
18,556 battles

In all seriousness, you as a DD can't do nothing. It's a flip of a coin how competent enemy CV player is.

Ive got 31 games in ranked this season, 29 in a DD, 27 in Kidd and I've seen both sides of the coin.

Potato CV usually tries to drop you, sees he can't hit you or that he is losing too much planes, and moves on to bigger, slower targets. To him it's all about big dmg numbers, he doesn't know or care that just by spotting you, he makes your life miserable.

Good CV player will make you take an early port break. Luckily I've only seen couple of decent CV players but I reckon things will change once I get into lower ranks.

• Cool 2

[PISH]
Players
370 posts
3,067 battles

Communicate with your team. Have a cruiser pick up the stray cap while you stick with the main fleet. Don't stray too far and aid their push.

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
909 posts
9,196 battles

I find the people implying CV's are balanced hilarious.

The team number is just way too low for a DD to do anything. Good luck getting a cruiser to come with you into a cap, becouse he's gonna take fire from half of the enemy team including the CV now.

Can we get the name of the person who suggested to bring CV's into ranked and CB's? I want to punch him in the face.

• Cool 2

Players
220 posts
12,095 battles
1 hour ago, quickr said:

I believe the answer is, spaced armour to the side of the cruiser.

• Funny 1

[CKBK]
Players
283 posts
16,471 battles

wait for your cv to drop you fighters before you enter a cap or just look at the minimap and wait till the enemy planes are spotted somewhere else, at the start stick close to your teammates.

[IDDQD]
Players
482 posts
12,701 battles
1 hour ago, Sturmtiger_304 said:

I find the people implying CV's are balanced hilarious.

The team number is just way too low for a DD to do anything. Good luck getting a cruiser to come with you into a cap, becouse he's gonna take fire from half of the enemy team including the CV now.

Can we get the name of the person who suggested to bring CV's into ranked and CB's? I want to punch him in the face.

i find ppl implying that they can't enter the cap with DD cuz big bad CV but the enemy DDs magically can also hilarious

just dont lock your mind into "spawn>cap>die" mode and adapt to situation

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[_I_]
Players
497 posts
17,779 battles
2 hours ago, ItsJustAFleshWound said:

Hello.

By having lots of smokes that are fast available again :) but other than that you get crapped on. Dont' wander around alone also helps, but kinda fefeats the idea with a DD

[IDDQD]
Players
482 posts
12,701 battles
41 minutes ago, Knutorius said:

alt+f4 or play CV

CV-balance-01.png

(#balanced)

then try and come back if you think that getting 2k base in ranked is that easy in CV

• Cool 1