Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
RavenWolf1

How many commanders do I need?

44 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
68 posts
656 battles

I have been playing for while now. I'm in Tier VI with Japanese and I'm planning to playing all lines with them.

 

Currently I have 7 commanders:

12lvl 2x Fuso, Ryujo (Fubuki Shirakami and Marine Houshou)
10lvl 1x Aoba
8lvl 1x Mutsuki
7lvl 2x Furutaka, Minekaza
6lvl 1x Kongo

 

I'm planning to buy some anime commanders when there are events for them but I'm wondering how many commanders do I really need? Every Tier X ship should need one. Then some ships from tier VII or VIII? Premiums don't need they own commanders?

 

When I look at Italian line there is only one line. I'm planning to buy AL Littorio (up coming event) so that commander is all I need for Italians. All other Italian commanders would be useless?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,186 battles
16 minutes ago, RavenWolf1 said:

I have been playing for while now. I'm in Tier VI with Japanese and I'm planning to playing all lines with them.

 

Currently I have 7 commanders:

12lvl 2x Fuso, Ryujo (Fubuki Shirakami and Marine Houshou)
10lvl 1x Aoba
8lvl 1x Mutsuki
7lvl 2x Furutaka, Minekaza
6lvl 1x Kongo

 

I'm planning to buy some anime commanders when there are events for them but I'm wondering how many commanders do I really need? Every Tier X ship should need one. Then some ships from tier VII or VIII? Premiums don't need they own commanders?

 

When I look at Italian line there is only one line. I'm planning to buy AL Littorio (up coming event) so that commander is all I need for Italians. All other Italian commanders would be useless?

I have a dedicated commander for every ship I decide to keep.:cap_old:

 

I find this is best because you can customize the skills to best suit every ship, the playstyle you want to use and to exploit or mitigate their "speshul" features / weaknesses. Using generic, shared commanders can only very rarely provide this possibility and you will either end up wasting elite points re-skilling them or just end up operating at 50% skill-efficiency every so often after transferring him to another ship, which is annoying - So why bother with all that hassle? :cap_like:

 

I would get a dedicated commander for each and leave it at that. Then invest some effort getting 1 commander for your most played ship up to 19 points ASAP and use the elite points you earn from him to upgrade the others too. One-at-a-time, of course. :cap_cool:

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CATS]
Players
26,201 posts
14,119 battles

You need one commander for every silver ship you wan to play regularly.

Some premium ships profit from dedicated commanders, but I would ignore that for the first couple of thousand games or you realy want to focus on that one premium ship.

  • Cool 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,746 posts
5,290 battles

Best answer is, "more than you'd  think"

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
331 posts
5,442 battles

Considering that you can have as many comanders as you want without paying, it doesnt matter. Importand is to take one commander from ship to ship, so you dont have to train a new one for every tier. The only impotand captains are the unique ones with improved skills. You cant have these multible times, so you have to consider on which ships you use them.

Vor 16 Minuten, RavenWolf1 sagte:

I'm planning to buy some anime commanders

go for it if you want them, having 10p captains never hurts.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
68 posts
656 battles
11 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

I have a dedicated commander for every ship I decide to keep.:cap_old:

 

I find this is best because you can customize the skills to best suit every ship, the playstyle you want to use and to exploit or mitigate their "speshul" features / weaknesses. Using generic, shared commanders can only very rarely provide this possibility and you will either end up wasting elite points re-skilling them or just end up operating at 50% skill-efficiency every so often after transferring him to another ship, which is annoying - So why bother with all that hassle? :cap_like:

 

I would get a dedicated commander for each and leave it at that. Then invest some effort getting 1 commander for your most played ship up to 19 points ASAP and use the elite points you earn from him to upgrade the others too. One-at-a-time, of course. :cap_cool:

 

Currently I'm moving my top commanders up to tiers when I unlock new tech -ships. I'll place "lesser" commanders to ships which I'm planning to keep. So this way I think I can eventually get some of these top commanders to lvl 19. Probably BB line Marine Houshou will be my first lvl 19 eventually. She is soo waifuuu. :)

 

When I get to higher tier tech -ships I'm planning to start using those special flags to speed her leveling. Currently I have been hording those flags. Or should I just save them for premium ships?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,784 battles

I have one each for the 208 tech-tree ships i have in port. 22 for unique premiums. 100 captains sits in reserve.

 

It's easier to have a low-point captain in a ship you seldom play than have to move them around and retrain. Plus it doesn't take up any space in the reserve.

 

Tip: If you have captains in the reserve and want to retrain one for a new ship. Use those you've gotten with premium ships first. I've found that it helps when I want to rebuy a ship and I already have a captain trained for that ship in my reserve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,429 posts
20 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

You need one commander for every silver ship you wan to play regularly.

Some premium ships profit from dedicated commanders, but I would ignore that for the first couple of thousand games or you realy want to focus on that one premium ship.

 

I'm going with this.....

 

Since im keeping most if not all ships from T6 on....those a lot of commanders !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
394 posts
19,292 battles

Many, many... every ship in port has one commander, most played or prepared for next intensive play have 19pt skippers...

0_captains.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,784 battles
12 minutes ago, RavenWolf1 said:

Or should I just save them for premium ships?

They pay off better in the premium ships. I tend to use my best captains in the premiums so when they reach 19 points the Elite Commander XP starts to build. Then I use the ECXP to level up other captains.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
68 posts
656 battles
7 minutes ago, Max_Kammerer said:

Many, many... every ship in port has one commander, most played or prepared for next intensive play have 19pt skippers...

0_captains.jpg

 

You have many Dasha Perovas. Does she speak different languages in every country or is it all Russian? I'm thinking to buy her someday but I'm not sure which country to buy her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
68 posts
656 battles
11 minutes ago, Hanse77SWE said:

They pay off better in the premium ships. I tend to use my best captains in the premiums so when the reach 19 points the Elite Commander XP starts to build. Then I use the ECXP to level up other captains.

 

So that premium ship has its own special captain? Not to rotate commanders between premium ship and tech -ships?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,315 posts
14 minutes ago, RavenWolf1 said:

 

You have many Dasha Perovas. Does she speak different languages in every country or is it all Russian? I'm thinking to buy her someday but I'm not sure which country to buy her.

She always speaks Russian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
5,439 posts
13,436 battles
1 hour ago, RavenWolf1 said:

I have been playing for while now. I'm in Tier VI with Japanese and I'm planning to playing all lines with them.

 

Currently I have 7 commanders:

12lvl 2x Fuso, Ryujo (Fubuki Shirakami and Marine Houshou)
10lvl 1x Aoba
8lvl 1x Mutsuki
7lvl 2x Furutaka, Minekaza
6lvl 1x Kongo

 

I'm planning to buy some anime commanders when there are events for them but I'm wondering how many commanders do I really need? Every Tier X ship should need one. Then some ships from tier VII or VIII? Premiums don't need they own commanders?

 

When I look at Italian line there is only one line. I'm planning to buy AL Littorio (up coming event) so that commander is all I need for Italians. All other Italian commanders would be useless?

 

How many commanders do you *need*? One for every silver ship that you want to play, and - IMO - one of at least ten points for every silver ship you want to play from T5 and above.

 

Until you have 19 point captains in abundance, it's sensible to never pass up the opportunity the acquire any 10 point (or more) captain that comes along; this goes double/treble (at least) if they're free.

 

I suggest not focusing too much on T10 - there's a lot more to the game than just the top tier ships! You do want a good captain for each T10 that you actively play, but you'll also want to hold on to some of the better lower tier ships too; quite apart from anything else, quite a few events/missions call for ships that aren't T10 (or are of nations/types that you don't have yet), and you'll want a good captain for any such ships too.

 

Be mindful that captains can only be assigned to one silver ship at once, and that builds tend to vary dramatically between classes. For example, the Littorio that you mention is a BB (gosh, really?!), so its captain will want to have BB skills, obviously. The silver Italians at the moment are all cruisers, where a BB-spec captain will be sub-optimal, so you'll need extra Italian captains for each silver ship (plus, possibly an extra one for the cruiser premiums if you get one of the original two, as they get HE which suggest a different build to the SAP-armed silver line)...

 

It's worth maintaining several ships for Ops (so, T6 and T7 - at the moment); if you're trying to maximise rewards, a good captain for each is worthwhile (plus don't forget, because of the cooldown after each game, you'll probably want several options.

 

My personal bias is to maintain absolutely every ship I can get my hands on from about T5 and up (for snowflakes, if nothing else, plus a pathological aversion to 'sameness'); that said, if you aren't a collector, I would try and maintain at least one ship of every class (more is better), across all nations, from T6 to T10 - that won't cover you for all eventualities ('do x damage in a French DD' isn't very helpful if the DD you picked is IJN, say), but you should be covered for the bulk of missions and events. It's helpful to have diversity in terms of effective weapons too; for example, Italian cruisers are splendid for some stuff, but 'start fires' missions, not so much; 'get torp hits in a T8+ cruiser' missions in US ships may present a bit of a challenge, and so on. I'm thinking about the following when I say this (but missions and snowflakes tend to cover everything from T5 upwards):

  • Tier 6: Ops mainly, but we've had clans and ranked at this level too.
  • Tier 7: Narai, but - again - clans/ranked.
  • Tier 8: clans/ranked.
  • Tier 9: clans/ranked.
  • Tier 10: clans/ranked, plus plenty of events as WG want us to all to grind to T10!
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
9,904 battles
10 minutes ago, RavenWolf1 said:

So that premium ship has its own special captain? Not to rotate commanders between premium ship and tech -ships?

You need one Commander for every silver ship that you will play regularly.

To start with turn to 19p the commander on the ship you are currently playing with. All your focus should go on the commander that is on the ship you play the most.

Once this commander is 19p all Commander XP points earned by this commander can be used to skill other commanders.

 

Never specialize a commander on a Premium ship.

Use your 19pt commander on a suitable premium ship while he is specialized on a silver line ship that you play regularly.

This way you will gain the max Commander XP points to skill other commanders.

 

hope it was of help

cheers

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
5,439 posts
13,436 battles
11 minutes ago, RavenWolf1 said:

 

So that premium ship has its own special captain? Not to rotate commanders between premium ship and tech -ships?

Most premium ships don't need (or want) a specialised captain. FWIW my approach is as follows:

  • In general, every captain is assigned to a silver ship, although in odd cases, the build may be 'good enough' for that silver ship and optimised for a premium (for example, my Fubuki captain is 'really' my Asashio, and Yudachi, captain, but he's 'good enough' for the T6 silver).
  • To maximise captain/elite xp earning, I'll cycle through both the silver ship concerned, plus any compatible premiums I have available, to make maximum use of daily first win bonuses.

As a corollary of this, early on at least, avoid buying premiums that do best with a weird captain build (although there aren't that many, really), and generally avoid 'no silver line' premiums until you have plenty of elite xp to get their captains to a respectable level (notably things like Haida, NdJ etc.).

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
68 posts
656 battles

What about Atago? People say that is is good ship to grind commanders. They say to rotate BB, Cruiser and DD line commanders to Atago to train them but then commander's skills doesn't match with Atago at all. Or have I missed something? Currently I do not own any premium ships. I'm planning to get that AL Littorio but she will not help me with Japanese commanders.

 

Anyway if I move commanders up in line in tiers and eventually they end up with tier X ships then I probably should place their talents for that tier X ship in mind even if I'm currently playing tier VI ships. No point resetting talents if everything isn't perfectly for certain ships? Later I should get dedicated ship commanders who have skills for that specific ships and train them up with that Atago training rotation trick? Or I could use dedicated lvl 19 commander in Atago to get ECXP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
9,849 posts
11,562 battles
1 hour ago, RavenWolf1 said:

Currently I'm moving my top commanders up to tiers when I unlock new tech -ships. I'll place "lesser" commanders to ships which I'm planning to keep. So this way I think I can eventually get some of these top commanders to lvl 19. Probably BB line Marine Houshou will be my first lvl 19 eventually. She is soo waifuuu. :)

My suggestion would be to put top commanders on ships you play the most, little use of 17+ lv captain to rot on T10 you dislike playing but won't sell after all this trouble getting.

 

18 minutes ago, RavenWolf1 said:

What about Atago? People say that is is good ship to grind commanders. They say to rotate BB, Cruiser and DD line commanders to Atago to train them but then commander's skills doesn't match with Atago at all. Or have I missed something? Currently I do not own any premium ships. I'm planning to get that AL Littorio but she will not help me with Japanese commanders.

Atago isn't bad ship but lost bit of her shine over the years. And as a cruiser, can accept and work decently enough with almost any captain, obviously IJN CA one being perfect match skill wise.

 

In terms of gameplay... play Mogami with 203 and see if you like her. If yes, then you might like Atago as well.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,784 battles
16 minutes ago, RavenWolf1 said:

So that premium ship has its own special captain? Not to rotate commanders between premium ship and tech -ships?

No. I use my Montana captain in:

 

Montana (ofc), Missouri, Alabama, West Virginia 1941, Arizona and Texas

But for the Massachusetts and the Georgia I use another captain that has more of a secondary build. They work fine with the Montana captain but what the hell, just for the LOLs.

 

My Yamato captain works in:

 

Yamato, Musashi, Kii, Ashitaka, Mutsu and Mikasa

 

In the ARP Kongos I use their own captains, same for the Ignis Purgatio. Just because it feels right to have the special captain who came with the special ship.

Ishizuchi on the other hand I use my Zao captain. This because the Ishizuchi works more like a cruiser than a battleship. I also use the Zao-captain in:

 

Yoshino, Azuma and Atago. The ARP Myokos and Southern Dragon keeps their own. But in Katori, Yubari and Yahagi I use my Shimakaze captain to get better use of the torps or my Harugumo captain if I want to play them as gunboats.

 

The more ships you can use the same captain in, the faster he will level up and when he get to 19 points he will pull in alot of ECXP to use to level up other captains.

 

When I worked my way up the german DD-line I fell in love with the Z-23 so I decided to let it keep its captain and start with a new in the Z-46. This means that instead of moving up my best captain I had to start with a new one and when he got to the Z-52 he was "under-trained". I train him extra by using him in the T-61 and the new Z-35. The Z-39 on the other hand I use the Z-23s captain who has 19 points and is better build for a 150 mm ship. But that also means that the CXP I gain from the Z-39 will end up on the Z-52s captain anyway via the ECXP.

 

To get back to the question about the flags. I don't use flags on the tech-tree ship the captain is trained on but rather on the premiums he has a "second job". Since premiums have a built-in-booster you get more CXP/flag by doing so and that helps the tech-tree ship the captain is trained for.

 

P.S. Sorry for long text. D.S.

7 minutes ago, RavenWolf1 said:

What about Atago? People say that is is good ship to grind commanders. They say to rotate BB, Cruiser and DD line commanders to Atago to train them but then commander's skills doesn't match with Atago at all. Or have I missed something? Currently I do not own any premium ships. I'm planning to get that AL Littorio but she will not help me with Japanese commanders.

A low-mid tier premium works better for that. Atago meets T10s and you wont do well in a Atago with a full DD-build captain in. Atago works great for training cruiser-commanders. If you need to train your japanese DD-captain, get a premium DD for the job. Shinonome is cheap, Yudachi, Asashio and AL Yukikaze costs more.

 

Example: It doesn't matter as much if you have a captain with "Smoke Screen Expert" on your Warspite as it would if you did it on the Vanguard. Warspite does fine with 12 out of 14 points being "active". On the Vanguard on the other hand you'll need every point to do something useful. "Adernaline Rush" is a much better use of two points on a battleship than "Smoke Screen Expert". Warspite can handle it, Vanguard can't. 

 

TL;DR: If you're gonna use one ship to train all types of commanders: Get a mid tier, they are more forgiving.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SM0KE]
Players
5,439 posts
13,436 battles
24 minutes ago, RavenWolf1 said:

What about Atago? People say that is is good ship to grind commanders. They say to rotate BB, Cruiser and DD line commanders to Atago to train them but then commander's skills doesn't match with Atago at all. Or have I missed something? Currently I do not own any premium ships. I'm planning to get that AL Littorio but she will not help me with Japanese commanders.

 

Anyway if I move commanders up in line in tiers and eventually they end up with tier X ships then I probably should place their talents for that tier X ship in mind even if I'm currently playing tier VI ships. No point resetting talents if everything isn't perfectly for certain ships? Later I should get dedicated ship commanders who have skills for that specific ships and train them up with that Atago training rotation trick? Or I could use dedicated lvl 19 commander in Atago to get ECXP?

I'm not a cruiser meister, but I do like Atago (to the extent of having her three times - there's one born every minute etc.); fwiw my view on this specifically:

  • Cruiser captains (well, to T8 at least, as that's where I am) are - not surprisingly - a perfect match, with the exception of the T8 herself, if you run the smaller guns.
  • DD captains are 'good enough', especially high pointers, but slightly sub-optimal in the 10 point region (the 'standard' 10 point DD build has at least two skills where you might argue that Atago wants other things first).
  • BB captains are probably 'okay' (again, I'm only at T8), but again at around the 10 point mark, you'll probably have at least a few skills where there are better choices.
  • CV captains - don't even go there.

If Atago were the only IJN premium you had, then she'll probably be a lot less unsuitable for 'other class' captains then many nations' ships, but still. Obviously, the better a player is, the less crucial captain skills would be in this situation.

 

As to the second bit, you're right - it's sensible to take an overview of which skills are going to be called for at higher tiers (as well as any ships on the way that are outliers) and plan ahead a bit. Luckily, the 'core' build for any given class/nation is usually fairly consistent, so you'll usually get to quite a high tier before you face too many harder choices. For example, pretty much every DD will spend its first points like this:

image.thumb.png.ddb318ac35d5e6a3ab96287f9c362247.png

 

There are one or two ships where cases can be made for a bit of variance (and the PT versus PM discussion still comes up now and again), but you won't go too far wrong with this. The other classes all have something equivalent.

 

I wouldn't have a dedicated captain just for Atago; rather use her to either train your best silver captain from the IJN cruiser line, or when that captain gets to 19 points use them in Atago to generate elite xp. BTW if you dig IJN cruisers, keep an eye out for any repetition of the ARP or Dragon ship events - the various premium Myokos are very helpful for hoovering up more daily first win bonuses...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
68 posts
656 battles
16 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I'm not a cruiser meister, but I do like Atago (to the extent of having her three times - there's one born every minute etc.); fwiw my view on this specifically:

  • Cruiser captains (well, to T8 at least, as that's where I am) are - not surprisingly - a perfect match, with the exception of the T8 herself, if you run the smaller guns.
  • DD captains are 'good enough', especially high pointers, but slightly sub-optimal in the 10 point region (the 'standard' 10 point DD build has at least two skills where you might argue that Atago wants other things first).
  • BB captains are probably 'okay' (again, I'm only at T8), but again at around the 10 point mark, you'll probably have at least a few skills where there are better choices.
  • CV captains - don't even go there.

If Atago were the only IJN premium you had, then she'll probably be a lot less unsuitable for 'other class' captains then many nations' ships, but still. Obviously, the better a player is, the less crucial captain skills would be in this situation.

 

As to the second bit, you're right - it's sensible to take an overview of which skills are going to be called for at higher tiers (as well as any ships on the way that are outliers) and plan ahead a bit. Luckily, the 'core' build for any given class/nation is usually fairly consistent, so you'll usually get to quite a high tier before you face too many harder choices. For example, pretty much every DD will spend its first points like this:

image.thumb.png.ddb318ac35d5e6a3ab96287f9c362247.png

 

There are one or two ships where cases can be made for a bit of variance (and the PT versus PM discussion still comes up now and again), but you won't go too far wrong with this. The other classes all have something equivalent.

 

I wouldn't have a dedicated captain just for Atago; rather use her to either train your best silver captain from the IJN cruiser line, or when that captain gets to 19 points use them in Atago to generate elite xp. BTW if you dig IJN cruisers, keep an eye out for any repetition of the ARP or Dragon ship events - the various premium Myokos are very helpful for hoovering up more daily first win bonuses...

 

Cheers!

 

I have long been thinking to buy Atago but I would rather wait for ARP Takao. No point to buy same ship two times. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
6,301 posts
24,191 battles
2 hours ago, RavenWolf1 said:

I have been playing for while now. I'm in Tier VI with Japanese and I'm planning to playing all lines with them.

 

Currently I have 7 commanders:

12lvl 2x Fuso, Ryujo (Fubuki Shirakami and Marine Houshou)
10lvl 1x Aoba
8lvl 1x Mutsuki
7lvl 2x Furutaka, Minekaza
6lvl 1x Kongo

 

I'm planning to buy some anime commanders when there are events for them but I'm wondering how many commanders do I really need? Every Tier X ship should need one. Then some ships from tier VII or VIII? Premiums don't need they own commanders?

 

When I look at Italian line there is only one line. I'm planning to buy AL Littorio (up coming event) so that commander is all I need for Italians. All other Italian commanders would be useless?

 

Well lets go through a list of possible IJN silver keepers IMO...

 

T4 - Isokaze

T5 - Kongo, Furutaka, Minekaze

T6 - Fuso, Fubuki, Ruyo

T7 - Shiratsuyu

T8 - Amagi, Mogami, Akizuki

T9 - Yugumo, Kitekaze

T10 - All - Yamato, Zao, Hakuryu, Shimakaze, Haragumo

 

That would be 18 I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[INTRO]
[INTRO]
Players
1,437 posts
16,784 battles
10 minutes ago, RavenWolf1 said:

I have long been thinking to buy Atago but I would rather wait for ARP Takao. No point to buy same ship two times. :)

ARP Takao has been available two or three times in five years and there's nothing that says that she'll ever come back. Don't hold your breath.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
68 posts
656 battles

So conclusion is that I need many commanders and there is no such thing as too many commanders. If I understood correctly grinding tier VIII-X ships can be expensive and mostly I would play VII or VIII ships to grind credits. And I need to keep at least one ship for every tier for events. So I just buy every JP anime commander I can get my hands on then and don't have to worry that there would be too many of them. :)

 

Someting something:

wjOMICA.jpg

 

 

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×