Sign in to follow this  
Vivi_Ornitier

About jap AP bombs

8 comments in this topic

Players
138 posts
2,918 battles

Currently trying to understand them, but theres no much info around (or at least i havent found). 

Based on threads like this https://amp.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/baziur/ap_bombs/ i have some questions. 

-Penetration: someone mentions a chart of different ap bombs pen. To citadel a given ship, what do I have to check to know if i got enough pen? His superstructure and cit armor or what? 

-Drop: when you should drop the bombs? Read something about late drops hitting flat and hence loosing some pen. Quoting a guy with OM logo (i guess he is decent) : "Idon't know the pen values but as a player that loves his Haku I can only tell you that use your Ap bomb for cruisers and drop them pretty much from any height. Against BBs you have to drop them from the highest point and try to avoid Us and Rn BBs be cause they tend to get overpend" 

Is this correct? 

Arming time: does it work like shell ap? Overpens are due to not enough armor to arm bombs? 

Thanks everyone in advance <3

Players
330 posts
5,424 battles
Vor 13 Minuten, Vivi_Ornitier sagte:

-Penetration: someone mentions a chart of different ap bombs pen. To citadel a given ship, what do I have to check to know if i got enough pen? His superstructure and cit armor or what? 

You dont need to know the exact pen values, you can pen all ships, and citadel most of them.

Vor 14 Minuten, Vivi_Ornitier sagte:

when you should drop the bombs?

Thats a controversial topic. It doesnt really matter in most cases, importand things to know: Alwasy wait until you have full aim(when the circle is the smallest)

If you have full aim the bombs are more likely to hit the centre of the target circle. 

The lower you drop the lower is the time until the bombs hit, the lower is the lead required. Dropping early requires a bit more lead, but save a bit plane hp(you are spending less time in short range aa). just play and figure out how it workes the best for you.

Vor 20 Minuten, Vivi_Ornitier sagte:

it work like shell ap

exactly.

Players
138 posts
2,918 battles
51 minutes ago, firerider202 said:

You dont need to know the exact pen values, you can pen all ships, and citadel most of them.

Thats a controversial topic. It doesnt really matter in most cases, importand things to know: Alwasy wait until you have full aim(when the circle is the smallest)

If you have full aim the bombs are more likely to hit the centre of the target circle. 

The lower you drop the lower is the time until the bombs hit, the lower is the lead required. Dropping early requires a bit more lead, but save a bit plane hp(you are spending less time in short range aa). just play and figure out how it workes the best for you.

exactly.

Thanks. And how to avoid Overpens? Sometimes you drop to BBs and such and still get overpens. Any zone you ideally want to hit? I usually just try to hit the center (and usually drop at the last second because its way easier) 

Players
330 posts
5,424 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, Vivi_Ornitier sagte:

Thanks. And how to avoid Overpens? Sometimes you drop to BBs and such and still get overpens. Any zone you ideally want to hit? I usually just try to hit the center (and usually drop at the last second because its way easier) 

you generaly want to hit the center of the ship, around the smoke stacks. Just always make sure you have full aim, otherwise the bombs will spread all over the playce if you are unlucky.

• Cool 1

[N0RSE]
Players
174 posts
14,269 battles

It do matter when you drop your bombs on battleships. As the OM guy you quote, that is correct. You want to drop the bombs from high altitude to get citadel hits. If you drop them too close to the ship, you won't get the citadel hits.

[DSOTF]
Players
588 posts
10,885 battles

Beneath explanations I found it extremely useful to practice DB drops in the training room with different ships and I still do that from time to time. Start with targets that are unarmed and not moving so you can find the best point to aim at for each ship type and nation. Continue with moving targets to find out how and when to aim from different angles and at last moving and armed targets to get a bit closer to what you will face in random matches.

Players
137 posts
3,235 battles

Is it possible to hit ships if you are not aligned perfectly to ship course? At any other angle I miss or get ricochets is it by design or I do sth wrong? 

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,088 posts
8,430 battles
1 hour ago, Peroidas said:

Is it possible to hit ships if you are not aligned perfectly to ship course? At any other angle I miss or get ricochets is it by design or I do sth wrong? 

It is possible. Bombs does have a trajectory depending on the angle of drop, so with a bit of practice and luck you can "fling" bombs onto ships from a relatively low strike altitude even if you come from a weird angle. But AP bombs in general are a truckload of RNG so sometimes you might aswell just drop and hope for the best.

Sign in to follow this