Jump to content
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
soberholzer

How to act with ranked lemming trains

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Players
2 posts
2,293 battles

Hi guys

 

I'm currently seeing it very ofthen that the BB's in ranked are driving "convoy": All next to each other.

 

Is there any strategy as a cruiser/DD player that allows to sometimes win even if your team is doing that?

 

Currently I'm just trying to have a CA that can take some beating and try to be the ship holding the other flank. Does anybody have a better strategy?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[I-J-N]
Players
4,106 posts

Had only a few battles so far, DD's don't seem that common at least not around rank 16...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LEEUW]
Players
2,237 posts
9,997 battles

Pushing in once group works only if the enemies push into this convoy with lower numbers. In that case the blob can use its superior DPM to quickly kill one or two enemies. From there on they can move like a vacuum cleaner, from cap to cap.

But if the enemies have a brain they will just kite and slow down this blob, while their teammates get on the flank of this blob......

So this tactic all depends on wether or not the enemies have a functioning brain.

 

What you are doing is imo the best: Try to hold the other flank as best you can. Otherwise your team gets flanked and its game over anyway.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
397 posts
24,586 battles

Stay close to the convoy.

The convoy can now protect you when you give fire support as a cruiser or cap as a dd.

Cap only the caps close to the convoy. Taking Caps further away from the convoy is dangerous because you have no Support.

The Convoy wins by focusing down Ships since they have a numerical Advantage

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PISH]
Players
369 posts
3,065 battles

I find it excellent when the BBs form a bettleline and start demolishing a flank. This leaves me free to harass the other flank with the enemy either getting rekt by going after me and showing broadside or letting me farm with impunity. Depends on the cruiser though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,326 posts
5 minutes ago, Bratoev said:

I find it excellent when the BBs form a bettleline and start demolishing a flank. This leaves me free to harass the other flank with the enemy either getting rekt by going after me and showing broadside or letting me farm with impunity. Depends on the cruiser though.

Except that if enemy players are better they will go two caps while you all go to One, will kite away and damage you meanwhile after capping, and your team will be giving nice broad sides and get cross fired by other enemy ships coming from the second cap. I have seen lemming trains lose incomparably more than no lemming trains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[JRM]
Players
6,243 posts
24,096 battles
57 minutes ago, soberholzer said:

Hi guys

 

I'm currently seeing it very ofthen that the BB's in ranked are driving "convoy": All next to each other.

 

Is there any strategy as a cruiser/DD player that allows to sometimes win even if your team is doing that?

 

Currently I'm just trying to have a CA that can take some beating and try to be the ship holding the other flank. Does anybody have a better strategy?

1. Try to chat them to sense

2. Failing the previous - farm damage and try to save star

3. Ultimate solution - dont play rank, better for mental health anyhow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
5,565 posts
12,546 battles
56 minutes ago, soberholzer said:

Hi guys

 

I'm currently seeing it very ofthen that the BB's in ranked are driving "convoy": All next to each other.

 

Is there any strategy as a cruiser/DD player that allows to sometimes win even if your team is doing that?

 

Currently I'm just trying to have a CA that can take some beating and try to be the ship holding the other flank. Does anybody have a better strategy?

In these cases I prefer to go with the Leming train and be "brain" of it.

It does not mean that I'm a better player than others but it means that I help to direct where the leming train is going.

Because it often stop going with contact with enemy or start camping after caping one cap. So try to "push" it to move to next cap by chat (politely) etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BHSFL]
Players
3,373 posts

Nope...pushing groups of BB are pretty strong in that "meta" because the ranges favour them. Cruisers are very vulnerable because of the shorter ranges and short travel time of BB shells. Island hiding may save Cruisers and ambush a solo going BB occasionally but not stop an armoured fist like that.

 

Ranked isn't randoms where a wall of enemies punish all that dare advance. The missing punishing wall ( unless you run into such a concentration of enemies on the "wrong" side of the map ) of enemies is what makes ranked so different.

 

I quite enjoyed taking the point of a thrust with a Vladivostok with DD barely keeping up at my flanks and a Cruiser trailing behind and not only getting away with that without being shot at whatsoever, but killing a DD with secondaries ( the DD and Cruiser helped a lot ofc ) , capping 2 x,  and killing 3 cruisers with flanking fire ( being accused of using "rail guns" btw ) ......there is no way you can do that in randoms ! So whatever you think of that....ranked isnt randoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PISH]
Players
369 posts
3,065 battles
10 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

Except that if enemy players are better they will go two caps while you all go to One, will kite away and damage you meanwhile after capping, and your team will be giving nice broad sides and get cross fired by other enemy ships coming from the second cap. I have seen lemming trains lose incomparably more than no lemming trains.

No risk no reward. Depending on the cruiser even if alone it takes time to put me down. While the other flank has local superiority if they devote more then one ship to run me down. And you misunderstand I always go get the cap opposite the train. Maybe I cap it, maybe I start to annoy their entire lemming train. But it works decently enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2 posts
2,293 battles
Vor 10 Minuten, Beastofwar sagte:

Nope...pushing groups of BB are pretty strong in that "meta" because the ranges favour them. Cruisers are very vulnerable because of the shorter ranges and short travel time of BB shells. Island hiding may save Cruisers and ambush a solo going BB occasionally but not stop an armoured fist like that.

 

Ranked isn't randoms where a wall of enemies punish all that dare advance. The missing punishing wall ( unless you run into such a concentration of enemies on the "wrong" side of the map ) of enemies is what makes ranked so different. 

Well: More often than not the "Fist" loses, because the enemy ships from the other cap can shoot them in the flank while the smaller force of the enemy team is kiting away. Finally killing it. At least thats what I see happening all the time.

 

Shooting a nose in oir kiting BB causes way less damage than the return fire into the flank of the 3 BBs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,326 posts
6 minutes ago, Bratoev said:

No risk no reward. Depending on the cruiser even if alone it takes time to put me down. While the other flank has local superiority if they devote more then one ship to run me down. And you misunderstand I always go get the cap opposite the train. Maybe I cap it, maybe I start to annoy their entire lemming train. But it works decently enough.

What you wrote sounded like you are in favor of lemming trains. If not, then agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
238 posts
5,267 battles

Won a couple of times yesterday when the train pushed on through the cap and turned to get a crossfire on the opposition who had split.

Equally though, if you have DD and a "tanky" cruiser, I've been playing Baltimore quite successfully so far, you can hold up an opposing train long enough that your team can again flank them.

This will of course not happen at all today, we shall all lemming train to one side, get stuck and find the other team have 2 caps and 760 points before we've even killed something!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PISH]
Players
369 posts
3,065 battles
13 minutes ago, Execute0rder66 said:

What you wrote sounded like you are in favor of lemming trains. If not, then agreed.

Depends on the definition of a lemming train. I favor the BBs to sail together screened by any and all DDs. That way me and if given another cruiser have free reign on the other flank to do with the enemy as we please depending on the situation. If we have BB on the same flank its usually too slow to pull out if it turns our the entire enemy lemming train in coming.

Basically if the map is ABC with BC opposite each other I'd ask the team BBs and DDs to go A while I grab B/C and start annoying the flank. From there it depends on what the reds are doing. If they are lemming all together to A I would push to get their cap and start farming from behind. If its a single DD or something trying to push my cap well I'm in a cruiser so I go hunt him. If its an enemy group with BBs or the whole train I annoy them as much as possible while kiting them to show broadside to my team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,326 posts
5 minutes ago, Bratoev said:

Basically if the map is ABC with BC opposite each other I'd ask the team BBs and DDs to go A while I grab B/C and start annoying the flank. From there it depends on what the reds are doing. 

You will need another ship or two with you (depending on the map and MM's ship distribution) between rank 2-5 and 5-10 brackets or won't survive long alone but i agree with the base idea as i do the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PISH]
Players
369 posts
3,065 battles
1 minute ago, Execute0rder66 said:

You will need another ship or two with you (depending on the map and MM's ship distribution) between rank 2-5 and 5-10 brackets or won't survive long alone but i agree with the base idea as i do the same.

We shall see how far it takes me. I do it primarily with the Cheshire geared for maximum mobility and AA so I can operate alone as much as possible. Even if they put me down it will cost them in time or in few games yesterday in planes.  That said I appreciate not being alone if the fellow cruiser is someone active in chat so we can coordinate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×