Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BlueTrikeRider

What is going on? (ramming)

25 comments in this topic

Players
4 posts
1,230 battles

When i first started playing, if I was in battle and rammed a friendly ship I got fined or ,marked pink.  Now it seems to be the opposite as when I get rammed by friendly ships I get fined.  How can this be?  I am either responsible for ramming and not at fault if rammed or I am not?  Can some one tell me which as three times in the past two days I have been rammed by friendly ships and fined for their mistake.  Feel like pulling the plug.

[JRM]
Players
6,324 posts
24,210 battles
16 minutes ago, BlueTrikeRider said:

Feel like pulling the plug.

If 100 credits and few xp points you lose because of a scrape make you wanna "pull the plug" by all means...

Btw just so we are clear in traffic and sea traffic mishaps its more often then not a shared responsibility as well

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,235 posts
14,142 battles
47 minutes ago, BlueTrikeRider said:

When i first started playing, if I was in battle and rammed a friendly ship I got fined or ,marked pink.  Now it seems to be the opposite as when I get rammed by friendly ships I get fined.  How can this be?  I am either responsible for ramming and not at fault if rammed or I am not?  Can some one tell me which as three times in the past two days I have been rammed by friendly ships and fined for their mistake.  Feel like pulling the plug.

It was never different.

Both parties get warned every time.

And when you get pink for ramming, you did something wrong...

[I-J-N]
Players
4,180 posts
14 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

It was never different.

Both parties get warned every time.

And when you get pink for ramming, you did something wrong...

Not necessarily, I was once in a BB and trying to back out while tanking, when I apparently got hit (or hit myself) a low HP cruiser that got way too close to me to begin with. Since I don't have a rear view mirror, can't actually have done anything to avoid it. Unless getting into that mess to begin with was that 'something wrong' I did, but that is unrelated to the collision and getting pink.

• Cool 1

[SURFA]
Players
34 posts
3,732 battles

Unfortunately there is the free look that allows to sweep around view without moving guns.

very rarely do I check myself before reversing and have found myself hitting another ship myself but it is possible to look behind you whilst guns are reloading with the free look capability and not have your guns go off target.

it is annoying when someone comes that close that simply going into reverse makes you hit them but you can check.

[U69]
[U69]
Players
175 posts

In general, the smaller and more agile ships should go evasive. And I have seen players doing a cop stop to their allied battleships and complaining that those behemoths would not hit full reverse because of that incompetent nutshell captain turning hard to pass 10m in front of their massive bows. I can hardly blame that battleships refusing to cutting all speed and accelerate again for half a minute because their teammate is a :etc_swear:.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,235 posts
14,142 battles
12 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

Not necessarily, I was once in a BB and trying to back out while tanking, when I apparently got hit (or hit myself) a low HP cruiser that got way too close to me to begin with. Since I don't have a rear view mirror, can't actually have done anything to avoid it. Unless getting into that mess to begin with was that 'something wrong' I did, but that is unrelated to the collision and getting pink.

Only when you are in zoomed in view all the time. There is also the minimap.

[I-J-N]
Players
4,180 posts
6 minutes ago, mdjmcnally said:

Unfortunately there is the free look that allows to sweep around view without moving guns.

very rarely do I check myself before reversing and have found myself hitting another ship myself but it is possible to look behind you whilst guns are reloading with the free look capability and not have your guns go off target.

it is annoying when someone comes that close that simply going into reverse makes you hit them but you can check.

4 minutes ago, U69_2020 said:

In general, the smaller and more agile ships should go evasive. And I have seen players doing a cop stop to their allied battleships and complaining that those behemoths would not hit full reverse because of that incompetent nutshell captain turning hard to pass 10m in front of their massive bows. I can hardly blame that battleships refusing to cutting all speed and accelerate again for half a minute because their teammate is a :etc_swear:.

I can understand both point of views, no pun intended. Yes, it is possibly to use free look but in reality, can you afford to that if you are handling a sticky situation being very low on HP and trying to max out what you can do with the little time you have left.

Again, it is easier for the smaller vessel to avoid the collision.

[I-J-N]
Players
4,180 posts
3 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Only when you are in zoomed in view all the time. There is also the minimap.

As I am when I am engaging the enemy. The minimap is of no use in that situation. I did know there was a cruiser dangerously close to me, what I did not expect is it to go low on HP and stay that close to me. In that situation, for instance, the enemy was ahead of me, the cruiser behind me. You would expect to the cruiser to be better able to see me between himself and the enemy than the other way round. Also, I had engines on the reverse, there was realistically nothing I could have done to avoid the collision even if I had spotted the cruiser in time.

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
1,562 posts
14,551 battles

Edited the title to make it less clickbait-y. 

Make sure your titles are clear and reflect the content of the thread. This isn't the Daily Mail.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[CATS]
Players
26,235 posts
14,142 battles
48 minutes ago, Karasu_Hidesuke said:

As I am when I am engaging the enemy. The minimap is of no use in that situation. I did know there was a cruiser dangerously close to me, what I did not expect is it to go low on HP and stay that close to me. In that situation, for instance, the enemy was ahead of me, the cruiser behind me. You would expect to the cruiser to be better able to see me between himself and the enemy than the other way round. Also, I had engines on the reverse, there was realistically nothing I could have done to avoid the collision even if I had spotted the cruiser in time.

But you should not be all the time, especially not in BB that give you enough time between salvos.

Had you seen him in time, you could have stopped the engines.

[I-J-N]
Players
4,180 posts
Just now, ColonelPete said:

But you should not be all the time, especially not in BB that give you enough time between salvos.

Had you seen him in time, you could have stopped the engines.

Assuming he'd been far enough, also assuming that he intended to stay on ramming course. Normally I take a bit of a look between salvos, but that situation was not 'normal'. When I am that low on HP that literally the next salvo can sink me on the spot I am more focused on where I might cause the most damage. In this instance it happened to be a friendly cruiser I got sunk... :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles

I tend to make a habit of always apologizing in chat if I have collided with a team mate, no matter how it occurred. It's the polite thing to do, as it can happen so very easily without being anyone's fault in particular.

• Cool 2

Players
471 posts
8,455 battles

it happens, tunnel vision is the main cause and yup i've done it myself, if it's a bad one and my fault i always apologize. The most annoying one i was at the wrong end of was in a DD in smoke and a BB just pushed me right out.....got spotted and killed.....the player that did it didn't give a [edited]

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
16 minutes ago, illy said:

The most annoying one i was at the wrong end of was in a DD in smoke and a BB just pushed me right out.....got spotted and killed.....the player that did it didn't give a [edited]

That once happened to me as well, with some goofball player in a cruiser trying to steal my smoke. Unfortunately for him I was in my Haida, so when he pushed me away I just took my smoke and left, and he ended up sitting still in the open with about half the enemy team piling metal on his sorry a$$. So that's one for the family album, all right...! :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

[U69]
[U69]
Players
175 posts
14 minutes ago, illy said:

The most annoying one i was at the wrong end of was in a DD in smoke and a BB just pushed me right out.....got spotted and killed.....the player that did it didn't give a [edited]

An "allied" coop bot did this to me today. They do indeed copy the worst human players' behaviour.

• Funny 3

Players
1,143 posts
18,350 battles

As others have said, in a "friendly" ramming both parties receive the penalty.

There's one small detail I'm not sure how to interpret, though: whenever such a ramming occurs, the pink message pointing fingers I get in the chat box always puts the other player at fault, no matter what ship either of us have nor who is clearly the one to blame if the situation was to be analysed with human eyes (e.g., if I'm the one sticking my bow at full speed into the other ship's hull, or I'm on a DD and get too close to the CL/CA/BB while trying to smoke him up -i.e., I'm the one actively manoeuvring-, it's pretty much obvious in many cases that I'm the culprit). It would be nice knowing what's shown in the other player's chat, but I've got a hunch it's due to the karma.

Salute.

Players
713 posts
16 minutes ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

As others have said, in a "friendly" ramming both parties receive the penalty.

There's one small detail I'm not sure how to interpret, though: whenever such a ramming occurs, the pink message pointing fingers I get in the chat box always puts the other player at fault, no matter what ship either of us have nor who is clearly the one to blame if the situation was to be analysed with human eyes (e.g., if I'm the one sticking my bow at full speed into the other ship's hull, or I'm on a DD and get too close to the CL/CA/BB while trying to smoke him up -i.e., I'm the one actively manoeuvring-, it's pretty much obvious in many cases that I'm the culprit). It would be nice knowing what's shown in the other player's chat, but I've got a hunch it's due to the karma.

Salute.

I heard that the player with lower karma gets named and shamed in that case. Given how laughably poorly the karma system is implemented/used, that makes it pretty arbitrary, but then being called out as the guilty party seems to have no actual in-game effect, so I suppose that's even. Also no idea what happens if both players have equal karma. I still don't see what team damage (of any kind) really 'adds' to the WoWs experience, but hey.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
52 minutes ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

28 minutes ago, NobleSauvage said:

I heard that the player with lower karma gets named and shamed in that case. 

This was news to me. In a case of collision, I think it would be fair if either both players, or none, should be pointed out by an automatic system. But if guilt must be assigned, basing it on the in-game karma score seems completely wrong.

On the topic of bad luck with in-game penalties, I witnessed a situation about two weeks ago where a destroyer on almost no remaining hit points maneuvered in such a way as to collide with an allied battleship. It was not in any way an intentional ram, but the collision was very obviously caused by the destroyer. The net result, though, was that the destroyer sank and his battleship buddy turned pink for team killing. My heart went out to that battleship player, I hope he didn't toss his computer out the window. And this is just one example of many to showcase why I usually tend to give pink players the benefit of the doubt... it would appear that the Fickle Gods of War, too, have a dark sense of humour!

:Smile_Default:

• Cool 2

Players
713 posts
2 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

This was news to me. In a case of collision, I think it would be fair if either both players, or none, should be pointed out by an automatic system, but if guilt must be assigned, basing it on the n-game karma score seems completely wrong.

On the topic of bad luck with in-game penalties, I witnessed a situation about two weeks ago where a destroyer on almost no remaining hit points maneuvered in such a way as to collide with an allied battleship. It was not in any way an intentional ram, but the collision was very obviously caused by the destroyer. The net result, though, was that the destroyer sank and his battleship buddy turned pink for team killing. My heart went out to that battleship player, I hope he didn't toss his computer out the window. And this is just one example of many to showcase why I usually tend to give pink players the benefit of the doubt... it would appear that the Fickle Gods of War, too, have a dark sense of humour!

Indeed. My personal favourite reason to not think ill of our fabulous friends is that the WoWs servers are a bit wonky at the best of times, and you can turn pink for getting disconnected from a battle (through no fault of your own). The only time I tend to take a slightly dim view of pink players is when I see one in Co-op who does nothing for the entire battle, kinda makes it seem like they got smacked for being naughty in Random and decided to try and AFK their way through their ban. Getting reported for AFK tends to undermine that strategy of course.

The (friendly) ramming mechanics also seem like they're just too clumsy to allow fair adjudication of team damage based upon ramming incidents; then again, I can always just go and play Ops where they had the sense to turn friendly damage off...

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
1,337 posts
9,957 battles

2 hours ago, _Teob_ said:

This isn't the Daily Mail.

Financial Times?

couldnt help it I had to do this

LOL

[LEAKS]
Players
207 posts
9,168 battles

Although this is not strictly to topic, I was initially surprised that ramming a friendly ship causes next to no damage when the same sort of impact on an enemy ship will sink it and possibly sink your own vessel.  Running into islands causes no damage at all!  I have been known to deliberately glance hit an island to come to an immediate stop to avoid running past it out of cover and that's downright weird.  Much more damage from any sort of non enemy involved impacts should be the case with much more stringent penalties inflicted on the guilty party, perhaps just taking him out of the game immediately regardless of the damage he inflicts on himself.  Don't get me started on torpedoes and gunfire because they are really off topic here.  Bad seamanship should be penalised and not just 10 to 15 HP and one XP.  I am guilty as the next but I wouldn't object to the equivalent of a court martial and far more swingeing penalties.  Being "pink" doesn't mean much.  You can get it from accidentally leaving the game early.

[I-J-N]
Players
4,180 posts
1 hour ago, Tatsfield said:

Although this is not strictly to topic, I was initially surprised that ramming a friendly ship causes next to no damage when the same sort of impact on an enemy ship will sink it and possibly sink your own vessel.  Running into islands causes no damage at all!  I have been known to deliberately glance hit an island to come to an immediate stop to avoid running past it out of cover and that's downright weird.  Much more damage from any sort of non enemy involved impacts should be the case with much more stringent penalties inflicted on the guilty party, perhaps just taking him out of the game immediately regardless of the damage he inflicts on himself.  Don't get me started on torpedoes and gunfire because they are really off topic here.  Bad seamanship should be penalised and not just 10 to 15 HP and one XP.  I am guilty as the next but I wouldn't object to the equivalent of a court martial and far more swingeing penalties.  Being "pink" doesn't mean much.  You can get it from accidentally leaving the game early.

Sometimes the islands fire torps at you. Those can sink you. Better still watch out for them rocks! :Smile_honoring:

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
18 hours ago, Tatsfield said:

Given how close to each other ships in a team start out at the beginning of a match, and the ridiculously small maps and narrow confines where the battles in WoWs take place, imposing harsher penalties for ramming a friendly would most likely have a hugely negative impact on the game. I don't know what forms of "stringent penalties" you have in mind, but if a collision with a team mate resulted in any kind of "realistic" damage, rammed by ally would quickly top the lists as cause of death. And if it led to a ban, or even just being tossed out of the game, I think the game would quickly become unplayable. 

Truth to tell, I have seen next to no griefing in the form of deliberate ramming or blocking in this game, which is a welcome difference from World of Tanks. This might be partly due to the fact that it is quite a bit more difficult to pull off such maneuvers in WoWs, but I like to think that it is mostly due to the WoWs player base being generally nice and friendly. There is certainly much less toxicity going on in the chat, for one thing. Imposing harsher penalties for ramming an ally is not only uncalled for, in my opinion, but it would also lead to a lot more unnecessary bad feelings between players.

Of course, this is just how I see it. Individual experiences will doubtless vary!

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this