Sign in to follow this  
Pappus

How to figure out the penetration power of cv AP weaponry?

6 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
308 posts
6,456 battles

How many mm of armor can e.g. the AP rockets pierce or the AP bombs? I don't see that information on the squads themselves

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
353 posts
6,418 battles
On 7/9/2020 at 10:41 PM, firerider202 said:

You can see them here: 

I would like to see the physical calculations behind a 500 kg AP bomb penetrating 256 mm of steel armor.

Also funny to notice that 1000 kg AP bomb penetrates more than twice (331mm) the amount japanese Type99 AP (150mm) bombs made from 41cm AP shells. Guess I have missed a memo here. Does anybody have any more info about this?

Players
347 posts
5,659 battles
Am 8.10.2020 um 18:45, TohtoriP sagte:

I would like to see the physical calculations behind a 500 kg AP bomb penetrating 256 mm of steel armor.

Also funny to notice that 1000 kg AP bomb penetrates more than twice (331mm) the amount japanese Type99 AP (150mm) bombs made from 41cm AP shells. Guess I have missed a memo here. Does anybody have any more info about this?

Well, wows is not (and is not ment to) 100% physically accurate. I dont know the nessesary calculations, but the figures will have their reason. Either physically or Balance wise.

Players
339 posts
On 10/8/2020 at 5:45 PM, TohtoriP said:

That is because the PC 1000 were (as the entire PC line) specifically designed as armor piercing bombs, also it was larger with more mass with a diameter of 508 mm making its a 508mm "shell" vs the 410mm as well a warhead of 160 kg vs 35.7 kg (and that is the IMPROVED version that started in 1942, Pearl Harbor ones were less), I could also point out mass were its 1000 kg vs 796.8 kg, its a bit over 200kg lighter too.

Apparently converting a artillery shell into a bomb is not going to work out as well that a bomb designed from the start of being a bomb because you arent factoring the energy it have when fired off the chamber, this is why we have lowered penetration values at range and dropping from the sky isnt going to generate that amount of energy (and again, highest the drop, the more pen), its not as if the Japanese didnt knew about it and didnt try to add a replacement (Type 2 No.80 Mk 5 and Type 3 No.150 Mk 5) but they were not produced in large numbers. The USN also started with converted shells as the IJN but quickly adapted designed AP bombs, the AP Mark I that was so large that only Avenger and Helldivers could carry then, of course the reason for Japan failure was steel ... that is, AP bomb casing was made of thick hardened steel and Japan simply had a shortage of such steel to make such bombs so they stuck with what they had, old naval artillery shells.

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
353 posts
6,418 battles

Here is something about AP bombs: http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/B/o/Bombs.htm

So US AP mark 1 (726kg)could be carried only by avengers or helldivers (very large single engine aircrafts) and that bomb could penetrate 5 inch armored deck released from a dive bomber from 2000 meters.

In the meanwhile PC-1000 (1000kg) is carried by a Ta-152 (pretty small fighter) variant and can penetrate more than twice of AP mark 1 or AP mk 33. Something seems off here.

And game balance wise I think nobody really thinks AP bombs are good for the game and now WG introduces German AP bombs that can penetrate any citadel at will... not to even mention these rockets. :Smile-_tongue:

Sign in to follow this