Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sunleader

Is WGC this Badly Programmed ?

26 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,375 posts
8,200 battles

Ever since I was Forced to take the WGC Launcher instead of the old Pure WoWs Launcher.

Updates have been Taking HOURS to Download and Install.

 

Is there something wrong with this ????

Did Updates lately get so Big that you need 3 Hours for them ????

 

Most Updates with old WoWs Launcher were done in 20-30 Minutes at worst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ALONE]
Modder
2,199 posts
13,780 battles

You may take a look at the WGC-update-settings.

Check if download-speeds are limited, if the WGC has priority and maybe try a different com-port.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,863 posts
11,333 battles

Took mine 30 minutes as usual not including the download as I preloaded. Maybe issue is on your end. 

My Potato notebook is 7years old btw. 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,606 posts
11,389 battles
8 minutes ago, Sunleader said:

Ever since I was Forced to take the WGC Launcher instead of the old Pure WoWs Launcher.

Updates have been Taking HOURS to Download and Install.

 

Is there something wrong with this ????

Did Updates lately get so Big that you need 3 Hours for them ????

 

Most Updates with old WoWs Launcher were done in 20-30 Minutes at worst.

What @Smeggo said. I had the same problem until i realised there is a download speed option. After changing it, i no longer have any issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-IAN-]
Players
2,015 posts
6,816 battles

It's NOT only the download speed that is the problem, it's the "Upload" speed being too high that is the problem in the vast majority of cases as WGC default sets it to "Unlimited" which is a horrible choice as, when the Upload is using 100% of your internet's Upload speed, it throttles the download speed no matter what you have it set to.

 

if you change the upload speed to  a "lower" speed like 128kb etc, or switch off Uploads completely with the tick box, your download speed will jump up to the maximum you have set -

 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.4e15e1b418d8b672260e852dcf66586f.jpg

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,375 posts
8,200 battles
8 minutes ago, Smeggo said:

You may take a look at the WGC-update-settings.

Check if download-speeds are limited, if the WGC has priority and maybe try a different com-port.

 

Already Tried to Change the Speeds and also the Ressources Setting.

But nothing Changed.

 

Maybe it doesnt Take Effect on an Download that is already Active ?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
3,863 posts
11,333 battles
1 minute ago, Sunleader said:

Maybe it doesnt Take Effect on an Download that is already Active ?

it changes download speed dynamically if you change the speed settings during an active download. I can confirm because I sometimes had to lower it to be able to do other things like watching YT or anime series. When I was finished with a video or episode I increased it to max dl speed and it climbed back up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PUPSI]
Privateer
11,254 posts
Just now, _Warfarin_ said:

it changes download speed dynamically if you change the speed settings during an active download. I can confirm because I sometimes had to lower it to be able to do other things like watching YT or anime series. When I was finished with a video or episode I increased it to max dl speed and it climbed back up. 

same here. I change the download speed usually several times, between unlimited and 1 MB/s, and the change is always "accepted" for the running download...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,171 posts
6,300 battles

Ive always have everything on max but still takes forever sometimes. Seems like it gets stuck on downloading and doesnt move for like 30 minutes. Never had this issue before WGC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
725 posts
12,336 battles

I am not very much looking into it but I have noted one thing.

After downloading 99% he stops and unpack them/segregate/whatever and then finish download.

It does not happen always but I noted this in WoT too.

So he is doing stuff on disk but shows that he is downloading. But that is what I think is going on.

 

Question is what kind of net you have, maybe you just can't go any faster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[P7S]
Players
183 posts
1 hour ago, _Warfarin_ said:

Took mine 30 minutes as usual not including the download as I preloaded. Maybe issue is on your end. 

My Potato notebook is 7years old btw. 

 

Clearly, if you have no problems, then any others' problems are their problems, right?

 

No, WG games were always updating like snail, cause who would spend precious money milked from players on server capacity to seed updates.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,265 posts
8,683 battles

Hey Sun,

               Try mess with the update settings of the client. You can also set the WGCenter a higher priority through your task manager, this will give it local network priority when downloading updates. Note however this may reduce performance of other applications.

 

WGCUpdateSettings.thumb.png.e571150c58480ee731681cc2a8105149.png

 

Kind regards,

                       Minia

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,375 posts
8,200 battles
1 hour ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

I am not very much looking into it but I have noted one thing.

After downloading 99% he stops and unpack them/segregate/whatever and then finish download.

It does not happen always but I noted this in WoT too.

So he is doing stuff on disk but shows that he is downloading. But that is what I think is going on.

 

Question is what kind of net you have, maybe you just can't go any faster?

 

Steam usually Downloads between 11 and 18 MB per Second.

So I dont think thats the Issue.

 

 

I Installed Total War Warhammer 2 over Steam recently.

And that was WAAAAY Faster than this Update.

 

 

I actually Think its not the Download but rather the Installation.

It seems the Installer is trying to Shuffle Millions of Mini Files around without using the Ram.

Basicly Copying the Whole Game on the Harddisk on a Different Path to then Copy it back into the Install Folder with the Updates.

 

 

The Reason might be that the WGC can be Interrupted all the Time.

Thus on Larger Updates basicly first making a Complete Backup Copy on Harddisk before actually Updating the Files in the Game itself.

 

1 hour ago, CptMinia said:

Hey Sun,

               Try mess with the update settings of the client. You can also set the WGCenter a higher priority through your task manager, this will give it local network priority when downloading updates. Note however this may reduce performance of other applications.

 

WGCUpdateSettings.thumb.png.e571150c58480ee731681cc2a8105149.png

 

Kind regards,

                       Minia

 

Did.

Also Changed the Port to an explicitly Opened Port from my Router.

 

No Notable Effect.

To begin with.

As Said above. I by now think whats taking forever is the Installing not the Download.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-IAN-]
Players
2,015 posts
6,816 battles
2 hours ago, CptMinia said:

Hey Sun,

               Try mess with the update settings of the client. You can also set the WGCenter a higher priority through your task manager, this will give it local network priority when downloading updates. Note however this may reduce performance of other applications.

 

WGCUpdateSettings.thumb.png.e571150c58480ee731681cc2a8105149.png

 

Again - DO NOT SET YOUR UPLOAD TO UNLIMITED!

 

5 hours ago, IanH755 said:

It's NOT only the download speed that is the problem, it's the "Upload" speed being too high that is the problem in the vast majority of cases as WGC default sets it to "Unlimited" which is a horrible choice as, when the Upload is using 100% of your internet's Upload speed, it throttles the download speed no matter what you have it set to.

 

if you change the upload speed to  a "lower" speed like 128kb etc, or switch off Uploads completely with the tick box, your download speed will jump up to the maximum you have set -

 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.4e15e1b418d8b672260e852dcf66586f.jpg

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,265 posts
8,683 battles
1 hour ago, IanH755 said:

 

Again - DO NOT SET YOUR UPLOAD TO UNLIMITED!

 

No need for the massive text fella, I can read all the same. As for what you said, I don't have the same experience. There is no notable difference for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[KOKOS]
Players
460 posts
6,789 battles

It's not about the download speed, it's the patch itself takes ages to apply.

 

Unpacking of archives, patching the files, compressing everything again – who knows what dark magic is at work there, but it's not the 500 MB download.

 

I am on a 1 Gigabit connection, and loading a file of this size is like a fart in the wind: You don't even notice it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,265 posts
8,683 battles
1 hour ago, Sunleader said:

No Notable Effect.

To begin with.

As Said above. I by now think whats taking forever is the Installing not the Download.

You could try defragmenting your disk and running a disk check.

 

For the disk check:

  • In the search bar, type cmd.exe and open "command prompt"
  • Type "chkdsk /f /r". If you have more than one drive it will do them all, if you want to run the check on a single drive include your desired drive's designation after the prefix. Should look like "chkdsk D: /f /r".
  • It will require a system restart, type "Y" and continue.

For defragmentation, you can use the Defraggler program by CCLeaner. 

 

Regards,

               Minia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
725 posts
12,336 battles
1 hour ago, CptMinia said:

You could try defragmenting your disk

unless you use SSD then never do that. 

  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,265 posts
8,683 battles
17 minutes ago, Sir_Grzegorz said:

unless you use SSD then never do that. 

What are you on about? Hard drive defragmentation is designed specifically for hard drives, SSDs are solid state drives they don't suffer anywhere near the amount of fragmentation that can plague mechanical drives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,444 posts
2 hours ago, genosse said:

It's not about the download speed, it's the patch itself takes ages to apply.

 

Unpacking of archives, patching the files, compressing everything again – who knows what dark magic is at work there, but it's not the 500 MB download.

 

I am on a 1 Gigabit connection, and loading a file of this size is like a fart in the wind: You don't even notice it.

This might actually be the case for you @Sunleader. I have experienced the same thing as described by Genosse. 

I don't know what it's doing, but it's not just downloading the update. Occasionally it just seems to pause and do its other sh*t, before continuing again. 

 

There are such levels of dark wizardry at place there in that launcher, it makes Mordor seem like a nice and jolly holiday destination :cap_haloween:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
725 posts
12,336 battles
14 hours ago, CptMinia said:

Hard drive defragmentation is designed specifically for hard drives, SSDs are solid state drives they don't suffer anywhere near the amount of fragmentation that can plague mechanical drives

There is a lot of people who does not distinguish HDD from SSD as each of them is a hard drive. So I wanted to point out something that can be obvious to some and black magic to others.

Disk defragmentation is designed for HDD that is true.

 

Stating that SSD does not suffer is not precise they are programmed to use the space efficiently thus avoiding such problems. But that is not relevant for this discussion.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
6,603 posts
10,790 battles

Yup, Id also think its a fragmented Disk. WoWs has problems with that due to huge file sizes. I run a defrag every 6 months and it actually help with the speed of installing.

 

But yea, this only counts when you are using a traditional HDD. SSDs dont need to be and shouldnt be defragmented. so @CptMinia and @Sir_Grzegorz you are both right now stop fightin ^^

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,624 posts
7,476 battles

Fragmentation is that the data is written on different parts of the disk, not into one continuous space. With traditional HDD, the reading head should move back and forth on the disk to collect the different fragments which takes a lot of time. With SSD, it's electronic and happens fast even with high fragmentation. Also a defragmentation shortens the lifespan of SSD, as it creates additional write cycles.

 

Summary:

1. Defragment your HDD regularly

2. Never ever defragment your SSD

 

Edit: I don't understand the down-vote.

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[-IAN-]
Players
2,015 posts
6,816 battles
1 hour ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Summary:

1. Defragment your HDD regularly

2. Never ever defragment your SSD

 

Edit: I don't understand the down-vote.

 

I think the downvote came from someone who might not understand how a SSD works.

 

As you mentioned, SSD's should never be "defragmented" using the built-in windows tool, they should only have a TRIM run which is the SSD version of the HDD "defrag". This is because the individual memory locations of an SSD have a finite number of "writes", so wasting a number of writes for a "defrag" (which moves data around so that it is next to each other to help speed-up mechanical drives) shortens the lifespan of SSD's.

 

Windows 7 & 8 were intelligent enough to know when it it has a SSD attached and would automatically run a TRIM command on those in the background without the user having to do anything. However they will still allow you to do a HDD style "defrag" on them but Win10 changed the way defrag works so now, if you click "optimise" (the new name for a defrag) on a SSD, it would only run a TRIM command rather than a defrag.

 

Here's just a tiny selection of the "Don't defrag SSD's" articles on the web, incase people (understandably) don't want to believe some random dude on a forum :Smile_Default:

 

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/noticeboard/general-noticeboard/why-you-shouldnt-defragment-a-solid-state-hard-drive-2011-11/

 

https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/should-you-defrag-an-ssd/

 

https://datarecovery.com/rd/defragmenting-solid-state-drive-cause-data-loss/

 

https://www.bnmc.net/blog/don-t-defrag-your-ssd-hard-drives

 

https://www.promax.com/blog/nvme-vs-ssd-speed-storage-mistakes-to-avoid

 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/defragmentation-of-ssd-windows/

 

https://www.howtogeek.com/165472/6-things-you-shouldnt-do-with-solid-state-drives/

 

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-defrag-secrets-for-hard-disks-and-ssds/

 

https://www.diskpart.com/ssd-management/ssd-defrag-0528.html

 

https://www.dailycamera.com/2020/01/11/dave-taylor-no-need-to-defrag-your-ssd-drives/

 

etc etc etc etc

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×