TheWarJaC

0.9.6 - Audio Improvements

76 comments in this topic

WG Staff
1,369 posts
764 battles

AUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

b5e9a69a-bfa0-11ea-89d4-8cdcd4b147d4.jpg

In Update 0.9.6, we've updated the Wwise audio subsystem version and sound parameters.

List of changes:

• Improved sound quality for all settings.
  • Improved sound quality for multi-channel sound systems (5.1; 7.1; and others).
  • Updated sounds for ship engines. Sounds are divided into two types—steam turbine and diesel, each with its own distinctive tone.
  • Updated sounds for aircraft engines.
  • Updated ambient sounds with the Ultra sound quality setting selected.
  • The SFX volume slider has been removed from the audio settings. Previously, the slider was used to control all non-musical in-game sounds, with the exception of voice messages. Thus it duplicated the other sliders located in the audio settings tab on the right-hand side of the screen.
  • A new "Damage audio volume" slider has been added. This is used to control the sound of shells' interaction with all surfaces and ships, and the effects they cause.
  • Added an option to adjust the volume of the horn that sounds when launching the game. It can be adjusted with the "Music in the Port" slider.

New sound effects:

• When aircraft fly near the camera and when a squadron approaches a ship.
  • When turning the camera, and removing fires and flooding in the Binocular view.
  • With the Ultra sound setting enabled, new sound effects will be heard when selecting 1/2 and 1/4 speeds; reaching speed marks; and when shifting gears to reverse thrust while moving forward at full speed, and vice versa.
  • Added new sound effects for hits that depend on the type (ricochet, penetration, over-penetration) and degree of damage caused or received.
  • After the release of Update 0.9.6, you may need to set the sound parameters in the Game Settings. We’ll talk about how to best configure them in a dedicated article.
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 2

Beta Tester
11 posts
11,321 battles

EDIT: ok, so you can at least lower the volume on the new hit sounds; engines you can drop too, though looks like for ships & planes collectively.

+++

Hi, any way to turn off new hit sounds or revert back to previous hit sound affects? To me it sounds like watching a cartoon, very distracting and irritating over prolonged sessions.  Reminder: this isn't world of tanks Kappa...

In addition, though less important: any way to turn off the aircraft engine sounds - similar to above, just irritating over time? (including own fighter, spotter)

Not asking for removal completely, just an option for people who don't enjoy the changes - maybe modstation soonTM?

Thanks,

Major.

• Cool 2

[VICE]
Players
103 posts
21,392 battles

dissaponting again its ussles to sit and say this and that, u fucked them up again sorry for the language , but this audio improvments troll, never ends

(With the Ultra sound setting enabled, new sound effects will be heard when selecting 1/2 and 1/4 speeds; reaching speed marks; and when shifting gears to reverse thrust while moving forward at full speed, and vice versa.)

i have the audio at low and still hear them ,what do u mean?? hahahhaa u are so funny

the 2 most important for me 

1)(With the Ultra sound setting enabled, new sound effects will be heard when selecting 1/2 and 1/4 speeds; reaching speed marks; and when shifting gears to reverse thrust while moving forward at full speed, and vice versa.)  REMOVE ITTTTTTTT

2) the sound when the turrets   are turing ,   REMOVE ITTTTTTTTTTT

• Cool 3

Players
5 posts
2,543 battles

How do you remove the radio effect ? I have the slider turned down to the minimum but there is still that annoying static effect in every voice command.

The new engine, gun, ricochet, reload sounds are also really annoying.

• Cool 4

Players
1,066 posts
6,312 battles

Well done WG!!! Why the hell  turn what worked so well into crap improve what does not need to? Why don't you try to solve more important issues?

• Cool 2

[SV3]
Players
24 posts
25,207 battles

The new sound...........
The old sound was better, the new "kloink" sound is horrible.
Sound off and play some music instead

• Cool 2

[M_T_R]
Players
200 posts
22,163 battles
1 hour ago, Latouche_Treville said:

Well done WG!!! Why the hell  turn what worked so well into crap improve what does not need to? Why don't you try to solve more important issues?

This.

It was fine before.

But WG said: No! We are going to "improve" it !!

The static effects in almost every voice command is outright painful!
It doesn`t make any sense regarding the "improved" status reports.

I mean, why "smoke screen set" has to have a static effect after all ?? Just one example...

Also I really dont like the new gun/ricochet sounds.

• Cool 2

[POP]
Beta Tester
195 posts
9,232 battles

My experience after two games (patch day is too painful to play any more):

Sound quality: excellent

Sound design: not quite terrible but close

By sound design I mean what kind of sound is played where and how.

Sound of incoming enemy fire and hits on my ship are pretty good. Creaking of the ships hull was nice, I guess, but what on earth is that random clicking sound my ship makes every now and then, probably while accelerating. Changing gears?

Physics of the sound is (and has always been) completely out of whack if you stop to think even for a second or two. Ever heard of speed of sound? Not only have games ships always looked like scale models to me, having no speed of sound modeled makes distances seem like meters. Yamato exploding 4km away, sound is heard like it's 100m away. I know it probably would sound silly if speed of sound was modeled 100% accurately, but could you at least to try some kind of compromise between realism and playability.

Adding new sound effects on hits scored on enemy ship is a terrible change. I predict there's going to be a mod to remove this pretty soon, maybe tomorrow, maybe even today. I played one game in AL.Nevsky and being in binocular mode was downright painfull. Every salvo came with this stupid and unrealistic "BONK! BONK! BONK!" sound, like my ship was taking the hits, not the enemy.

• Cool 5

Players
84 posts
12,491 battles

Wow totally f---d up, sounds are horrendous just absolute dog sh--e

• Cool 2

[D-M-P]
Players
2 posts
3,848 battles

I must agree with the comments above. The new sound with statics and engines is so annoying and distracting, I couldn't concentrate on gaming. 

• Cool 2

[ALYEN]
Players
1,619 posts
3,634 battles

Well ... I have watched Flambass play for about 2 hours ... then I realized what is wrong. You get the SAME hit sound when you hit the enemy as when they hit you !!! At the same time you CANNOT hear them shoot from the distance. That's soo distracting and immersion breaking ...

Please implement a separate volume slider for my hits so I can make the LOWER in volume than the same sound when I am hit ....

EDIT: played 2 battles, the new sound "engine" is obnoxious ... everything makes an audible sound ... EVERYTHING. I am tempted to turn sound completely off ... why does the speed telegraph need to click at each position when you reach that speed ? I was looking around like what's that sound ? where does it come from ... seriously freaking HORRENDOUS !!

EDIT: I have lowered almost all sounds to the minimum, still some of them are too much (turret turning sound, speed telegraph) and are seemingly NOT affected by any slider. excellent update WG, you sound improvements forced me to actually play almost WITHOUT sound ...

• Cool 3

[RAPT]
Players
3 posts
12,784 battles

New instant hit sounds on target ships is just confusing. I keep reacting as if someone shot my ship when I suddenly hear explosions that I can't properly place. Please add an option to remove or adjust the hit sounds on target impact.

Alternatively make them muffled as if coming from a distant target. Trying out sound delay would be interesting too although it would probably be rather confusing considering sounds coming from 10 km would be delayed by 30 seconds.

• Cool 2

[SWN]
Players
68 posts
7,532 battles

WTF is this horrible noise when you get hit by shells? It sounds horrible, it's [edited]anoying.

Does this company even have a QA/QC manager that has to stamp off on some of the insanely shoddy work the development team comes up with? 

More and more I get the feeling the development team of this game consists entirely of the rejected interns from other game developers or something.

And btw, the old sound was fine, why did you have to go and make it "better"? The money and resources could have been used to deal with the copious actual problems players want you to deal with...

• Cool 2

[SWN]
Players
68 posts
7,532 battles

Just played my second game with headset on, there is an extremely anoying whining sound that goes up and down in frequency somewhere in the background. It's going to drive me insane if that stays in the game...

• Cool 2

Players
19 posts
10,756 battles

The shell hitting feedback sound is pretty neat, however, I'm not sure I want to hear it when I'm the one who fired the shells. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,617 posts
7,457 battles

Just roll back to the previous version.

• Cool 1

[-TAW-]
Players
372 posts
15,120 battles
1 hour ago, Asatori said:

Just played my second game with headset on, there is an extremely anoying whining sound that goes up and down in frequency somewhere in the background. It's going to drive me insane if that stays in the game...

I think that's the guns traversing and going up and down...very annoying

• Cool 1

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,426 posts
8,340 battles

These are not improvements at all. 

• Cool 2

[77MM]
Players
412 posts
14,466 battles

Not impressed at all. Forgetting about the time it would take for the sound of the shells hitting a ship would take to get back to me...

...it's just way too loud, i fire a tier 5 DD shell against a BB 10km away, and it sounds like a a nuclear bomb has just gone off when it hits the target.

• Cool 1

Players
1 post
6,660 battles

Nicely done WG.

if it ain't broke, don't fix it!.

New sound is crap, no one asked for it.

Especially way to loud. And crap, did I mention that?

• Cool 1

[TAYTO]
Players
811 posts
8,548 battles

OMG, how can you fubar something so unwanted/un-asked for, so badly?
I have no idea what to turn down, I'm just turned EVERYTHING off to escape that god-awful caccophony.

Seriously, who thought it made sense to hear your shots clanging off an enemy BB 23km away?
Which one of you was drunk? Please stop listening to them.

And please, either undo this "improvement" or make a guide showing us which individual sounds are controlled by which slider.

I'm sorry to criticise all the hard work, some of it is maybe better than the old stuff, but it's just too much. If, in the first battle, you spend 4 or 5 trips to the settings and conclude turnng everything off is the improvement needed, something is very wrong.

• Cool 2

Players
1 post
6,209 battles

Lasst bitte nicht die Praktikanten am Sound rumfummeln. Blechdosensound ist wirklich nicht das wahre.