Jump to content
limatango

Best Commander Skill Loadout

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[NRWBH]
Players
1 post
2,237 battles

Hi, I'm not sure how best to use my commander skill points for destroyers, any tips would be most welcome. cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GWA]
Players
92 posts
12,232 battles

It is highly recommend to invest your first 10 skill points into everything survivability related; a common standard build for every DD so to say:

 

- Priotrity Target (important to know when and by how many enemies you are targeted so you can react accordingly)

- Last Stand (its most likely that you'll lose rudder and/or engine when you got hit => standstill would be your death!)

- Survivability Expert (adds additional hitpoints to your naturally very low healthpool)

- Concealment Expert (because low concealment is your most precious good)

 

after that, it depends on playstyle/role of the specific DD and your personal preferences where to invest the remaining points.

for example: on IJN gunboat line you would most likely want to enhance your gunpower and therefor spec into something like AR/AFT/BFT/IFHE

on the IJN torpboat line you might want more torpedo related skills (e.g. PM/TAE/AR/TA)

 

there are many different builds out there and also many helpful sites with recommendations, e. g. the WG Wiki , shipcomrade (both with skill recommendations for every single ship) and of course loads of helpful topics on these forums like those from LWM on premium ships. Oh... and youtube is also full of entertaining video guides from our community contributers if you are more into that kind of entertainment ;)

 

good luck and fair seas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
Players
75 posts
4,762 battles
Vor 17 Stunden, misimisimi sagte:

- Priotrity Target (important to know when and by how many enemies you are targeted so you can react accordingly)

- Last Stand (its most likely that you'll lose rudder and/or engine when you got hit => standstill would be your death!)

- Survivability Expert (adds additional hitpoints to your naturally very low healthpool)

- Concealment Expert (because low concealment is your most precious good)

I think the first two are useful (and necessary, so actually the only choice within the first 10 points) on any DD, but the last two depend. Survivability expert in my opinion depends on the tier you're at and the DD you're playing. Granted, 1750 health at T5 is already good because of the overall lower health pools, but when I start to skill up an new captain for the respective tech tree on a low-tier DD I like to take one of the utility three point skills I want to have on that DD line, i. e. (depending on the DD line, obviously) torpedo reload, demolition expert, basic firing training or even superintendent. The fourth skill for me normally tends to be concealment expert for me, but again, there are some tech trees where I feel I don't need it so I take something else. But when in doubt, just take CE, it's really good on most DDs and at least viable on every one :).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTT]
Moderator
1,609 posts
14,843 battles
9 hours ago, aler1x said:

I think the first two are useful (and necessary, so actually the only choice within the first 10 points) on any DD, but the last two depend. Survivability expert in my opinion depends on the tier you're at and the DD you're playing. Granted, 1750 health at T5 is already good because of the overall lower health pools, but when I start to skill up an new captain for the respective tech tree on a low-tier DD I like to take one of the utility three point skills I want to have on that DD line, i. e. (depending on the DD line, obviously) torpedo reload, demolition expert, basic firing training or even superintendent. The fourth skill for me normally tends to be concealment expert for me, but again, there are some tech trees where I feel I don't need it so I take something else. But when in doubt, just take CE, it's really good on most DDs and at least viable on every one :).

 

 

 

With all due respect, you are wrong. Survivability expert is mandatory on DDs at all tiers. There's no situation where the extra health isn't more valuable than any of the other options. Staying alive will net you more damage in the long run as a DD. This is especially relevant for DDs with heal which is based on your HP pool so more health = more healing.

And CE is mandatory on everything apart from very gun focused lines (ending with the Harugumo, Khaba and Kleber). And even on those there is an argument to be made that it can be useful. 

 

DDs without and BBs with SE are in the same boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TOXIC]
Players
75 posts
4,762 battles
Vor 6 Minuten, _Teob_ sagte:

 

With all due respect, you are wrong. Survivability expert is mandatory on DDs at all tiers. There's no situation where the extra health isn't more valuable than any of the other options. Staying alive will net you more damage in the long run as a DD. This is especially relevant for DDs with heal which is based on your HP pool so more health = more healing.

And CE is mandatory on everything apart from very gun focused lines (ending with the Harugumo, Khaba and Kleber). And even on those there is an argument to be made that it can be useful. 

 

DDs without and BBs with SE are in the same boat.

OK, so skill survivability expert then, I'm no expert and just wanted to give my opinion :)

 

And I agree (and stated above) that there are only a few lines not needing concealment expert and I'd say you pretty much named all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GWA]
Players
92 posts
12,232 battles

Due to the fact that OP has just begun playing IJN DDs, i didnt want to spread early confusion with those special skillset lines without CE or with SI instead of BFT; e.g. for  russian or french gunboats or german hydro DDs (which OP doesnt own at this point yet).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
964 posts
13 hours ago, _Teob_ said:

 

With all due respect, you are wrong. Survivability expert is mandatory on DDs at all tiers. There's no situation where the extra health isn't more valuable than any of the other options. Staying alive will net you more damage in the long run as a DD. This is especially relevant for DDs with heal which is based on your HP pool so more health = more healing.

And CE is mandatory on everything apart from very gun focused lines (ending with the Harugumo, Khaba and Kleber). And even on those there is an argument to be made that it can be useful. 

 

DDs without and BBs with SE are in the same boat.

It's weird how I do pretty well without these mandatory skills, that I so often read u have to have.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTT]
Moderator
1,609 posts
14,843 battles
1 hour ago, SirAmra said:

It's weird how I do pretty well without these mandatory skills, that I so often read u have to have.

 

I don't know exactly what you mean by doing "pretty well" - if you want, share some actual numbers in ships and then we can talk.

And at any rate you would have to compare your performance with and without SE and CE.

I am absolutely sure that while you might be able to get away without SE (although the lack of it will hurt your performance), the lack of CE is not something that can be overcome. 

 

To be clear, I am sure I could get a 50%+ WR without any of those but that's not the point. The point is that I can get a 65% WR when I have them which is not achievable without. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
964 posts
2 hours ago, _Teob_ said:

I don't know exactly what you mean by doing "pretty well" - if you want, share some actual numbers in ships and then we can talk.

And at any rate you would have to compare your performance with and without SE and CE.

I am absolutely sure that while you might be able to get away without SE (although the lack of it will hurt your performance), the lack of CE is not something that can be overcome. 

 

To be clear, I am sure I could get a 50%+ WR without any of those but that's not the point. The point is that I can get a 65% WR when I have them which is not achievable without. 

My point is that I hear the word mandatory about skills from alot of players on different types of ships.

For excample your "mandatory" on SE.

Mandatory for some isn't mandatory for all. I don't count SE as mandatory on DDs. I count CE and LS mandatory for me.

I pick my 19 points to suit my style of play and what ship I intend to use said captain on. So alot of times I don't use the skills players say is mandatory.

And regarding SE. I've never in mine 7k games thought....oooh damn, I whish I'd had that skill now, cause If I came under such a situation I already did something wrong.

But I've had those moment with a fresh DD captain that didn't have LS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTT]
Moderator
1,609 posts
14,843 battles
1 hour ago, SirAmra said:

My point is that I hear the word mandatory about skills from alot of players on different types of ships.

For excample your "mandatory" on SE.

Mandatory for some isn't mandatory for all. I don't count SE as mandatory on DDs. I count CE and LS mandatory for me.

I pick my 19 points to suit my style of play and what ship I intend to use said captain on. So alot of times I don't use the skills players say is mandatory.

And regarding SE. I've never in mine 7k games thought....oooh damn, I whish I'd had that skill now, cause If I came under such a situation I already did something wrong.

But I've had those moment with a fresh DD captain that didn't have LS.

 

When someone says that a skill is "mandatory" they don't actually mean it in the literal sense of the word because obviously there would be no way to mandate that.

What the intended meaning is, and I suspect you already know this, is that there is nothing better to pick than the skill in question.

 

Now as far as SE being "mandatory", my evidence is my own performance and the fact that every unicum I have ever spoken to about this agrees with me. So in essence, the people who get the best results are all in agreement that SE is virtually mandatory on DDs. Now I am not saying you are not entitled to your opinion but you haven't given any arguments whatsoever. I am looking for a bit more than that.

The fact that you haven't felt you needed it in your 7k battles is easily countered by me saying that I have felt I needed it in all my 14k battles.

 

The reason why I am arguing so strongly for this is because these sort of opinions like yours cost people actual money. They come to the forum looking for advice, get advised poorly and then they have to spend doubloons to respec out of some subpar build. If respecs were free, I would absolutely not contest your opinion and I would just hope I run into you on the enemy team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×