You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Sinksalot

Which Class Of U.S. Cruiser Line Is Overall The More Effective And Fun To Play?

U.S. Cruiser Line  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which Class Of U.S. Cruiser Line Is Overall The More Effective And Fun To Play?

• The Light Cruiser Line
    • The Heavy Cruiser Line

17 comments in this topic

Players
582 posts
3,787 battles

Hi guys,

I don't actually have any U.S. ships for this game outside of the T6 CV and the reason for that is the BB's read as being way too slow(I don't like slow), the DD's seem to have really short range torps until higher tiers(and I would prefer a light cruiser to do cap brawling/disputing and DD hunting) but at the same time I want to pick up a U.S. ship to satisfy some directive and mission requirements that come my way so what's left is the cruisers. 

As title, I would like to know your opinion on which class of U.S. cruiser is overall the more effective and fun to play. Generally speaking I prefer light cruisers with their fast reloading guns but I know nothing of these two lines so maybe there's some important thing to know about them. I suppose for now in the immediate sense I would only really be concerning myself with T6-T8 offerings and maybe then take a look at higher tiers later.

Thanks.

Edit- Also, what's good about U.S. cruisers, what's there strong points? I see already in the poll a leaning towards the heavy cruisers but why and what makes them good. Is it gun handling, damage dealing, shell speed or something else?

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
3,025 posts
29,212 battles

Both could be fun but just because Seattle is T9 in CL branch I would prefer CAs. But I still love both Cleveland and Helena as both are great ships even tho IMO DM is way better T10 then Wooster.

• Cool 1

[GG-EZ]
Players
2,636 posts
13,598 battles

I would always pick DM over wooster, but a lot has to do with personal preferences ofc. Old cleveland at t6 was a beast, though pensa as t6 CA is very impressive too. Both lines have a few stinkers: I never liked seattle in the CLs, nor (new) Balti in the CA lines, so if you're asking for the total line, that's a hard comparison. Also the buffalo is somewhat of an outlyer between balti & DM, I kinda like her but a lot of ppl don't.

Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,720 battles

The heavy cruisers tend to hit far harder, be quite similar at handling destroyers (with exceptions like Cleveland VS Baltimore), and are FAR better at handling other cruisers. They both are good at behind the island spamming, but the heavies have far better shell flight time which means that the heavies tend to perform far more consistently.

[LADA]
Players
619 posts
9,059 battles

The CL line on paper has more toys - rapid fire HE spam, radar and hydro and DFAA. However it doesn't have the sheer stopping power that a bunch of enhanced 8-inch AP shells does - nor does it have the area-denial radar of the DM/Salem at T10. 

While a DD getting bounced by a Cleveland or Seattle or Worcester is the stuff of nightmares.... a USN CA is dangerous to anything that gets careless - DDs, CLs, CAs, BCs, BBs, anything is on the menu! 

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles

Heavies. Their ballistics are already bordering on uncomfortable slow and they can lob shells over islands just fine, there is little need to go deeper in these aspects. And then Des Moines is still one of the most potent ships at shorter distances due to sheer volume of 203mm fire.

That said, Helena was absolute monster back in the day and post IFHE changes she is "merely very solid" ship, Cleveland I imagine still holds the line while Seattle is a stinker like she always used to be.

Players
2,395 posts
32,145 battles

Didn't vote because it is very subjective. For some Wooster line for some others DM line is more fun. Again their effectiveness depend on and change according to the MM maps, allied team&enemy team set ups. There are cases when a Wooster or a Cleveland would be more effective than a DM or Balti and vice versa. IMO, research both lines.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,359 posts
18,216 battles
2 hours ago, Sir_Sinksalot said:

Edit- Also, what's good about U.S. cruisers, what's there strong points? I see already in the poll a leaning towards the heavy cruisers but why and what makes them good. Is it gun handling, damage dealing, shell speed or something else?

CLs have decent armour, good guns (and lots of them) and decent AA. They don't have torpedoes, smoke, heals or long range, so positioning is key.  CAs have the same, but with extra hitting power and durability - you can punish BBs harshly with that strong AP from Tier VIII up. 

The other nice thing is that now they are quite consistent in playstyle and that the only clunkers are at Tier IX, so you can take out a Dallas or Pensacola and have fun and be able to use that knowledge on later ships in the line.

[PUPSI]
Players
804 posts
2,665 battles

Dallas, Helena and Cleveland are some of my favourite ships. I've still not properly started on the CAs though, so...

2 hours ago, Panocek said:

Seattle is a stinker like she always used to be

I remember a lot of people complaining about Seattle's range when first released. Is that still the primary problem or are there more? (Have been away for a while, not entirely up together with these things...)

Players
10,263 posts
12,019 battles
11 minutes ago, TeaAndTorps said:

Dallas, Helena and Cleveland are some of my favourite ships. I've still not properly started on the CAs though, so...

I remember a lot of people complaining about Seattle's range when first released. Is that still the primary problem or are there more? (Have been away for a while, not entirely up together with these things...)

Issue with Seattle is, she is flat out downgrade over Cleveland. Worse firing arcs, more exposed and thinner citadel. Only benefits come from being tier 9, that is access to heal and reload upgrade.

• Cool 2

[L4GG]
Players
3,470 posts
11,259 battles

I can't say...

There's a lot of baggage to be fair.

Cleveland at t6....

Helena's nice.

But in the other hand 

Balti it's Fun and awesome, my next block to my progression, Balti will be my next 1000 battle ship.  

Players
582 posts
3,787 battles

Thanks guys,

Due to an overwhelmingly one sided poll I went down the Pepsi Cola Pensacola line. Pretty nice ship in Killer Whale and ticking a few boxes in Co-op for directive missions, really love the guns on it which sorta makes up for not having torps. The ship really doesn't have to show much side to all gun batteries on target which is really nice and probably the best I've played for that actually but even so the armor is a bit leaky and gets flattened even bow facing at times and it would be really nice to have a Repair Party but anyway it's a fast enough grind to tier 7 and with that interesting free perma-camo for the Baltimore(maybe a bit too much bling?) I'm happy and certainly the Pensa is a fun and pain free grind. :Smile_Default: