hellbolt

Odin opinions

25 comments in this topic

[-NFG-]
Players
59 posts
4,030 battles

I'll be very brief here:

After playing couple of battles with this battleship i noticed the following problems:

• HP Pool slightly higher than cruiser: the amount of 52-53 k HP for T8-T10 games is the issue. Ship cannot brawl, getting torpedo hit is painful. Scharnhorst at T7 has more HP than Odin on T8. I think 62-63 k HP should be okay for T8 for small battleship.
  • Fuse time on AP shells - small caliber guns and over pens on light and heavy cruisers - guys please - scoring over pens on side of Baltimores and Clevelands shouldn't happen here. I think implementation of Stalingrad shell solution would make this ship effective (same gun caliber, shorter fuses)
  • If HP does not change than other thing should compensate low of this - maybe improved heal with cruiser reload?
  • Gun range - 19.1 km is short for T8 - Scharnhorst at T7 has 19.9 km range guns. If range is so short - why not giving it cruiser dispersion. That might make this ship more competitive.

Other things are ok. Armor - German like, secondaries 2/3 of GK firepower. Short range torps 6km - if this ship is planned to be brawler than might be useful. Remember it may land on T10 also where actually this may be quick pray for larger caliber guns of Montana's and Yamatos. Getting hit by torpedo from Schima takes like 1/3 of HP or more.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,027 posts
16,517 battles
59 minutes ago, hellbolt said:
  • HP Pool slightly higher than cruiser: the amount of 52-53 k HP for T8-T10 games is the issue. Ship cannot brawl, getting torpedo hit is painful. Scharnhorst at T7 has more HP than Odin on T8. I think 62-63 k HP should be okay for T8 for small battleship.
  • Fuse time on AP shells - small caliber guns and over pens on light and heavy cruisers - guys please - scoring over pens on side of Baltimores and Clevelands shouldn't happen here. I think implementation of Stalingrad shell solution would make this ship effective (same gun caliber, shorter fuses)

Both these things were nerfed, no idea why HP was nerfed but the AP fuse was too efective against ships like Smolensk, they couldn't have that for obvious reasons.

• Cool 3

[-NFG-]
Players
59 posts
4,030 battles

Well, that HP nerf is an issue. Two Torps were able to sink the T8 BB with 2/3 of HP. BB shouldn't work like that. I think some of their "patriotic" developers with WW2 German complex made this absurd and overdose with overall nerfs on this ship. First AP has issue in damaging cruisers, then HP does not allow this ship to brawl since artillery range of 19.1 km and lack of accuracy makes it also impossible for long range duels. Really WG - is that bad with you? This ship is weaker than T7 Scharnhorst.

• Cool 2

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
381 posts
6,686 battles

Quote from the wiki: "For example Odin's same tier counterpart Bismarck can penetrate the citadel belt of Yamato at ranges up to 15km, whereas Odin would have to close to 8.5km to achieve the same. "

Yesterday I tried this in practice. I was in a Musashi reversing towards incoming enemy Odin and showing a lot of broadside to him but at a slight angle. The range was around 7km and closing. Odin was thinking that now he has the perfect time to switch to AP and citadel me to kingdom come. At the time I myself was a bit more worried about Odins torps and a Georgia 12km away. Well the Odin took aim and put a lot of 305mm hits in my broadside. Not a single shell penetrated. He must have been furious but I knew Odin pen was questionable even at those ranges against 410mm belt at a slight angle. So wiki is very correct I tested this. :cap_look:

• Cool 2

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
201 posts

Just get mine.

Only 1 battle with Odin. I don't think she is a bad one. 91K damage, not great, not terrible.... But I've seen here to being called a cruiser slayer by someone an  i think that term will be accurate.

It's thought, hard as hell... if you are bow tanking. Her secondaries are not bad but situational, his guns are not great against other BB's but I've punished a G.Kurfust by shooting superstructure... I i said i think it will be doing good in a sort of cruiser hunter,.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,357 posts
5,766 battles

Very early days, only one battle, but certainly didn't feel that bad to me. Will keep playing her and see how the opinion developes.

Players
392 posts
3,934 battles

13 games on mine, i'm not even a BB player and only just started playing BBs.

The ship is super fun, it feels impactful regardless of tier the MM puts you at.

Its very rewarding if played and built well. I find that its a very good brawler if you pick the right fights and time pushes when the right moment shows up, the secondaries are amazing, even without manual secondaries, and the torpedoes are extremely useful when pushing flanks.

The armor scheme lets her absorb a lot of punishment and she has a very solid AA suite for its tier.

The guns are also very accurate and if you have good aim and good positioning, you can reliably punish broadside targets.

Definitely a bargain for 3500 doubloons. 

• Cool 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,357 posts
5,766 battles
1 hour ago, steveraptor said:

Definitely a bargain for 3500 doubloons. 

Not bad for 8k doubloons either.

I know five games in is still generally considered early days, but so far I genuinly like her.

Players
990 posts

It's a great ship ruined by some weird Nerfing Fetish WG seem to be going through at the moment, I've just given up trying to understand the logic, but hey it cost Jack and looks pretty in Port whilst I play Tirpitz, So sad, it's just a pity it wasn't the Odinski  :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 3

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles

Most forgettable ship to appear on the enemy team lineup. Don't get too close and you are fine. Most get themselves killed anyway or play passive to the point you actually never notice they were there. Good players in the ship might be more noticeable, but they'd be a much bigger issue in pretty much any other T8 BB. Odin's really the only ship that I'd never go "Oh crap, it's an Odin" about, given that, frankly, regardless of what class of ship or tier I play, the Odin just never is a top threat. Even in some T6 cruiser, Odin is the only T8 BB that would allow my ship to potentially bounce shells even if they don't hit the very main belt (except Aoba's 48 mm deck that bounces every AP shell in the game). Pensacola can bounce it off the entirety of its ship. As a T6 BB Odin also is the biggest joke of a T8, given that, yes, if it torps me I got issues. If an NC shoots me from 14 km away though, I got issues too and that's far easier to accomplish for the NC and far less avoidable. As a DD, Odin's a non-issue. Avoid being in hydro range and you are fine, given the secs are poor and the main guns have no HE damage. Ship also reacts poorly to torps. Managed to torp this thing with a Kiev from 6 km, took a total of like 2.5k in secondary hits, despite being at the Odin's side, but with that low gun count and accuracy... As a CV, Odin's just the best bang for the buck for AP bombers and torps. And let's not get into what happens if you uptier Odin and it gets to meet Tier 10 torps, big gun BB or just about any cruiser with a brain. 

As a consequence, Odin basically also is one of the poorest BBs when it comes to BB duties. Area control is just not a thing when you have compromised staying power and a reliably counterable gun threat. An NC sitting somewhere is a threat to most ships within range that need to mind its presence. Odin? Angle and you are fine. If it gets too pesky, shoot it a bit so it runs off, because it likely has no fire prevention (gotta get that sweet 400 m window between min conceal and max secondary range). Obviously some ships like SAP cruiser and 50+ mm pen cruiser can just chunk the Odin for not insignificant parts of its hp pool.

And whoever says the Odin is just some T8 supercruiser, supercruisers typically excel because they are in cruiser slots and thus replace your typical dpm ship with something that has more staying power and at times even guns that allow for zoning. But there's a vast difference in trying to angle vs Stalingrad and Alaska or trying to angle vs Odin. Ships like Yoshino and Azuma have actual HE dpm befitting a cruiser, ships like Ägir at least are decently accurate. Odin is none of that. As a cruiser, if the enemy shows no side, you are a Prinz Eugen without the accuracy. 

• Cool 11

[FISHR]
Players
131 posts
8,480 battles

Played a few games in the Odin, mostly in ranked.

This ship is a royal piece of garbage

Can't hit anything at any distance (full broadside salvo from 10km generates 3 hits, and this happens very often), when AP hits it's bounces, shatters and overpens, with the occasional pen. Citadels are as rare as honest politicians.

HE is crap, with paltry fire chance and ridiculous damage. But you won't notice the damage, because HE shells shatter even on slightly angled light cruisers.

Forget about torps: you'll use them 0.01% of the time. And if you use them you'll die because the angles are crap and the enemy will kill you

Armour is crap from any angle. T8 BBs can citadel you from the front at 10k

Even some (soviet) cruisers can citadel you!

Not to mention AP bombs...

So you build it for secondaries. They seem to have Stevie Wonder at the aim and Ray Charles pulling the triggers (if you don't know who those two are, you're too young): they don't hit the side of a barn from the inside.

Torpedo protection is worst in class. The ship floods with every top hit it receives

The only good thing about this ship was the Dockyard. Kudos to the art team

The rest is absolutely forgettable

I reckon after having raked up as many goodies as I can from the CV missions, this will turn into a port queen, as I see no reason to be frustrated while I should have fun

Congratulations, WG, another patriotic move to dump manure on the Germans

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Players
979 posts
3,431 battles

From my point of view:

the armor belt doesn't work too well when uptiered. Odin has 320mm while Scharnhorst has 350.

why on earth it has less HP than Scharnhorst one tier lower is a mystery to me. Give it at least Scharnhorst HP.

I also don't understand why it has less horsepower than Scharnhorst...

WG, why didn't you just make it a Scharnhorst at tier 8 ?

Players
189 posts
5,912 battles

My take on it after a few matches (only 9 and a couple of ranked battles) is that she's not bad, yes she has a low HP pool but her armour generally holds up well when angled, I like the ability to have Hydro and torps, means I can charge down pesky DD's sitting near me in smoke, the HE is abysmal but its not the end of the world, I stick to AP 90% of the time and I am getting reasonable results i.e. damaging hits out the guns.

For a ship that you can get mostly free by grinding she is quite well balanced, definitely not OP but there are worse ships out there, and as I said she's not bad, I like her so far and actually commend WG for a Fairley well balanced ship. 

Players
1,270 posts

First impression is I like the Oden and have played about 50+ games in it so far.

It's a just a general good all-round ship to play. Guns feel comfortable for using, and the 11k secondary at T8 is a blast when fully specced put with skills and equipment for distance. It's also a pretty durable BB, which you do expect with a German BB.

Tried using HE to see what it's like and notice it does have a lower fire chance than Tirps - but does have the extra gun though. Not that good using HE (same case for Tirps and Bismark). Might be worth sticking fire chance skill on it really, seeing as the guns are not a high calibre and much like Shorn guns. One good thing is the secondary guns are like on GK with 32 and 38mm pen. So you don't need stick IFHE on it - freeing up 3 points maybe to use on boosting fire chance skill

Players
1,270 posts
On 8/1/2020 at 3:06 PM, HassenderZerhacker said:

From my point of view:

the armor belt doesn't work too well when uptiered. Odin has 320mm while Scharnhorst has 350.

why on earth it has less HP than Scharnhorst one tier lower is a mystery to me. Give it at least Scharnhorst HP.

I also don't understand why it has less horsepower than Scharnhorst...

WG, why didn't you just make it a Scharnhorst at tier 8 ?

Hmm... I would have to agree is doesn't make much sense having a weaker armour belt than Shorn. It should have more HP than Shorn as well, it's a tier higher than Shorn meeting T10.

I must admit though, my main complaint about this ship having played all the best secondary guns ships there are in the game. I'm not getting as many secondary hits as I'd expect using Manual Secondary skill also to pick targets (the poster - two posts above is right when he says is Steve Wonder shooting these secondary) guns. Some games using it I'm only getting between 40 and 50 hits. Really? Come on! 40-50 secondary hits only??? That's bad when I'm also using manual secondary skill now. Most I have managed to rack up so far in secondary hits has been around 90 hits tops while using manually secondary skill (but rare). But that's still on the low side really not topping over 100 secondary hits fully specced out with skills and modules for secondary guns

Players
429 posts
7 hours ago, MRGTB said:

I'm not getting as many secondary hits as I'd expect using Manual Secondary skill also to pick targets (the poster - two posts above is right when he says is Steve Wonder shooting these secondary) guns.

Check the secondaries angles,  here is a nice graph on a review.

http://shipcomrade.com/?p=4654

This is why you arent getting as many considering some end up being blocked from firing depending on how angled you are.

[BOATY]
Players
825 posts
15,118 battles

I personally love the Odin. I also have a Scharnhorst which is another amazing ship when played well.

Mine is kitted as a secondary brawler, no CE, and no asm. 

Probably the biggest tip I can give for this ship is know when to push. Have last seen enable on your mini map so you can minimize pushing into a torp soup, this helps you use your hydro a bit more efficiently. Also this may or may not help but against most cruisers I aim just above water line to top deck to catch them on the turn away, seems to work.

shot-20.08.07_13.54.22-0990.jpg

shot-20.08.07_13.54.24-0461.jpg

shot-20.08.07_13.54.27-0614.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
1,270 posts

Oden needs a buff to the secondary guns.

I get it that they give it GK secondary guns at T8 with 32 and 38mm pen to make it slightly different. But the secondary guns are just so underwhelming to use for a German BB - that is sitting in the same tier as the likes of Tirps, Bismark and Matty. But the secondary on Oden seem rubbish in comparison for using to them ships. You get nowhere near as many hits with them, which just makes the secondary seem rubbish

No point giving it 32 and 38mm pen on secondary, "but with a slower reload of those guns" - as a selling point - then making them have odd shooting angles also. The problem I see here is those two 38mm pen secondary turrets. They have the slowest reload and just make it seem like Oden hardly fires any secondary guns that often.

[-NFG-]
Players
59 posts
4,030 battles

Guy, unfortunately with this amount of HP the fun of this ship is questionable. Played a couple of battles on it - the range makes it suffer if uptiered which on T8 happens often. Accuracy is also random. WG needs to do something to make it more special. The same thing went with Hindenburg at the beginning - reload was nerfed and the ship in general was mediocre - after year or two they found out that nobody plays it so they buffed it with reload and additional heal.

In ODIN case there are multiple items which have to be changed and they went with nerf too far. First its T7 part: Scharnhorst has 20 s reload on main guns. Ships with 457 mm guns reload like 23-26 seconds at T10. Dispersion should be hanged to cruiser like with this poor range: also Scharnhorst at T7 has better range with similar accuracy. Fuse time - this is garbage - the cruisers are being overpenned because of the long fuse time. Why not giving it Stalingrad's approach with efficient short fused AP which does not tend to overpen that much?

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,357 posts
5,766 battles

All I am going to say is..You'll be surprised, in a good way.

shot-20.09.03_18.47.29-0756.jpg

shot-20.09.03_18.47.34-0387.jpg

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
43 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Or let down in very much to be expected ways. Because I hate to be that person, but what exactly should I be surprised about there? That brawling BB does well against coop bots that partly are even lower tier? Is this the bar we set for our T8 BBs now?

Not that Odin even is a BB that is just poor when uptiered yet strong when top tier, because it cannot even do basic things every other T8 BB would be able to accomplish, like...

Spoiler

shot-20_08.25_23_10.46-0635.thumb.jpg.d2b81d24b16aca3f8e5d169c85c4b012.jpg

shot-20_08.25_23_10.58-0029.thumb.jpg.68648b19be2d2d44737293e31f81ca87.jpg

Even more sad when you consider that while Odin could still fire HE, something like shown Vanguard would still do this very thing better, just it isn't necessary for them.

[-NFG-]
Players
59 posts
4,030 battles
On 9/4/2020 at 1:53 AM, lafeel said:

shot-20.09.03_18.47.29-0756.jpg

shot-20.09.03_18.47.34-0387.jpg

Good to see this topic alive. Played Odin in ranked recently. Underperforming is the only accurate word here. What were you trying to show with this picture?

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,357 posts
5,766 battles
27 minutes ago, hellbolt said:

Good to see this topic alive. Played Odin in ranked recently. Underperforming is the only accurate word here. What were you trying to show with this picture?

That she is a dangerous ship to under estimate.

Sign in to follow this