You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Salentine

Loot boxes to be classed as gambling in the UK...

42 comments in this topic

[PUPSI]
Freibeuter
11,810 posts
50 minutes ago, Salentine said:

report on the BBC news from a group of experts to UK MP's recommends urgent action classifying loot boxes as gambling.

:Smile_facepalm:

• Bad 4

[NWP]
Players
3,154 posts
17,394 battles
51 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Thats good, couse it is

And a foul version of it, as there is, in most cases, no information about the odds.

• Cool 5

[BRITS]
Beta Tester
392 posts
8,611 battles

Loot boxes should be classified as gambling everywhere because it is.

• Cool 6

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
20,026 battles
2 hours ago, Salentine said:

report on the BBC news from a group of experts to UK MP's recommends urgent action classifying loot boxes as gambling.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53253195

While I hope that the loot boxes will be classified, I suspect that this report will be quietly ignored by our wondrous leaders. 

If anything happens then it will be so far off in the future that most of us will be no longer playing WoWs. Or it will be watered-down so much as not to have an effect on the practice. 

• Cool 3

[AMOK]
Players
1,965 posts
8,654 battles
Vor 2 Minuten, Cambera_1 sagte:

While I hope that the loot boxes will be classified, I suspect that this report will be quietly ignored by our wondrous leaders. 

If anything happens then it will be so far off in the future that most of us will be no longer playing WoWs. Or it will be watered-down so much as not to have an effect on the practice. 

It will be ignored like many other reports before. Same here on the continent. I am hoping for a regulation since they just did it in Belgium. I can't even remember when this was.

Such mechanism in a game without age restriction :fish_palm: how greedy and scummy can one be....

• Cool 5

[JRM]
Players
7,212 posts
29 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

I am pretty sure I read somewhere EU is preparing a summary act to govern similar stuff in future, once it takes form of a directive its obligatory for all EU states AFAIK... Now the question is what with the "gray zone" ie the same boxes available through arsenal for gold currency, reason why these are a grey zone is that you can in fact get the in game currency - in game, for free... I suspect we end up with arsenal only boxes for doubloons

• Cool 1

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
20,026 battles
3 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

I am pretty sure I read somewhere EU is preparing a summary act to govern similar stuff in future, once it takes form of a directive its obligatory for all EU states AFAIK... Now the question is what with the "gray zone" ie the same boxes available through arsenal for gold currency, reason why these are a grey zone is that you can in fact get the in game currency - in game, for free... I suspect we end up with arsenal only boxes for doubloons

Unfortunately the UK will not be inside the EU so WG will be able to carry on as they are. 

:Smile_sad:

• Cool 2

[STEEL]
Players
660 posts
1 hour ago, 159Hunter said:

no information about the odds.

Without independent knowledge, access and supervision of the mechanics and odds, it is not even proper gambling - it can be anything from vague promises to outright fraud.

• Cool 2

Players
7,464 posts
245 battles
49 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

Unfortunately the UK will not be inside the EU so WG will be able to carry on as they are. 

:Smile_sad:

Doesn't mean our government won't be able to make laws for this sort of thing in-genral.

The only problem is like most governments they are either too inept, incompetent, corrupt or too busy playing some modern and less violent version of game of thrones.

It's like the human Id basically rules over most people atm, while ego is barely existing and superego struggles to exist half the time.

• Cool 3

Players
3,388 posts
20,509 battles
2 hours ago, Origin47 said:

Loot boxes should be classified as gambling everywhere because it is.

This. And it's a bloody disgrace this company has labeled it's game age restriction to 7+ while pushing this stuff in game.

• Cool 11

[-AP-]
Players
2,786 posts
6,712 battles

In the way that it is implemented in games currently, it should be classified as scams, as there are no requirements for how the random generator should work, nor any information of odds nor rules of how they may (mis)represent those odds.

This law is required everywhere.

• Cool 5

[PANEU]
Beta Tester
1,973 posts
13,218 battles
10 minutes ago, thiextar said:

In the way that it is implemented in games currently, it should be classified as scams, as there are no requirements for how the random generator should work, nor any information of odds nor rules of how they may (mis)represent those odds.

This law is required everywhere.

Yeah at least if i go and play roulette i know my odds, what i risk. 

Players
979 posts
3,431 battles
5 hours ago, Salentine said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53253195

I have always been puzzled why WG gives any attention to EU laws.

All they have to do is keep their business out of the EU.

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,303 posts
9,168 battles

Hello,

Moved the thread to off-topic as this isn't specifically about game discussion but more a problem with the game industry as a whole.

Kind regards,

Minia

• Bad 5

[NWP]
Players
1,407 posts
11,648 battles
14 minutes ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

I have always been puzzled why WG gives any attention to EU laws.

because they are an EU company.

14 minutes ago, HassenderZerhacker said:

All they have to do is keep their business out of the EU.

and lose the EU market?

[PUPSI]
Players
804 posts
2,665 battles

If only the subject header were accurate. Better way of putting it would be 'committee with no formal means of enforcing its suggestions recommends lootboxes be classed as gambling in the UK'. I hope they will be treated as such, and soon, but somehow I expect our glorious leaders will act with about the same urgency as a stoned, sleep-deprived snail carrying some heavy shopping.

[-IAN-]
Players
2,043 posts
6,904 battles
27 minutes ago, TeaAndTorps said:

If only the subject header were accurate. Better way of putting it would be 'committee with no formal means of enforcing its suggestions recommends lootboxes be classed as gambling in the UK'. I hope they will be treated as such, and soon, but somehow I expect our glorious leaders will act with about the same urgency as a stoned, sleep-deprived snail carrying some heavy shopping.

The thing is, it would be an "easy" win for the Government, a bit of good PR at a time when they need some, but I bet they still drag their heals about it!

[BGNAV]
Players
193 posts
22,107 battles

I'm not in UK, but what's the problem? Just change your location in acc settings and you are ok to buy loot boxes! BTW i have never bought any myself

[LEEUW]
[LEEUW]
Players
493 posts
7,778 battles

I guess that's why WG has these random 500 dubloons bundles now. That doesn't count as gambling, since you can see what you're buying.

Players
979 posts
3,431 battles
42 minutes ago, Saltface said:

because they are an EU company.

and lose the EU market?

their headquarters are in Cyprus only for tax reasons. I'm sure they could strike a comparable deal in Belarus.

they wouldn't lose the EU market, as Wargaming's business is online.