You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sweedish_Gunner

Tier 10 gameplay is a mess.

19 comments in this topic

Players
28 posts
6,095 battles

I'm not quite sure when it started, but the quality and enjoyment of T10 matches has taken a complete nosedive in the last year or so. The actual core gameplay of T10 is so skewed and flawed that I find it really hard to even enjoy playing at T10 anymore, the gameplay itself seems toxic and uninviting. 

A huge problem T10 suffers (in my mind) is the almost complete lack of brawling and close quarters engagements, which has been exacerbated recently by all the new ships added to the game. The two main reasons for the poor quality of gameplay are the maps and as I mentioned earlier, all the new ships.

As for maps, there are a few good ones, maps like Sleeping Giant and Hotspot are some of the best in the game. However there are some absolute stinkers in the T10 pool, I'm sure I don't have to mention Okinawa, Ocean or Ice Islands for being absolutely awful. The reason behind the maps feeling really poor to play is (again imo) the lack of cover within or on approach to certain caps or parts of the map, the best maps have lots of varied options on how to approach objectives and corridors, they offer a balance of long open water sight-lines and tall covering islands allowing ships to get in closer, for example, on Hotspot, both sides of the maps offer the opportunity to both get in close and brawl and to let people keep their distance if they wish. These tall, long islands are absolutely key to allowing dynamic and aggressive gameplay at T10 where the damage and range of most ships is quite high.

The bigger problem though, is the new T10 ships. Nearly every single new battleship and cruiser in the last year or more has been designed to run away, avoid direct gunfights and not push in aggressively, the only exception to this being the Kremlin which wasn't exactly balanced on release.

So what have we had? We have the Conqueror, a long range HE spammer made of rice crackers with a citadel the size of Mars, the République, a long range (26.1km base range xd) AP spammer made of dry grass and kindling (armed with an AP black hole device though), the Bourgogne, a long range Swiss army knife made of plasterboard, the Thunderer, a long-mid range flexible boi that has the rice cracker armour and Martian citadel from the Conq, the Ohio, which is the only ship so far other than the Kreml that wants to even get remotely close to the action and even then it doesn't have to get close if you don't mind not using one of your gimmicks and finally we have the Shikishima which is just Yamato gameplay but you're compensating even harder for something. Not one of these ships wants to go sub 12km range bar maybe the Ohio, they're all designed to sit far away from HE and incoming damage whilst flinging their own shells at something 21 km away. 

Then we have the cruisers, oh boy (I don't exactly remember the release order). So the Henri is a fast, long range kiting ship with little armour, the Worcester is a island hugger with little armour and awful shell arcs for chasing ships, the Salem is a DM that's actually encouraged to go closer (crazy I know), the Yoshino is a long range kiting ship with 20km torps and no armour, the Colbert is an island hugger with no armour and awful shell arcs for chasing ships, the Smolensk is an abomination and one that's designed to not push because of its smoke and awful armour, the Venezia is a long range. SAP kiting ship with smoke (that can actually be used to play aggro but it's super risky), the Goliath is a kiting HE spammer with no armour, the Al Nevsky is another, you guessed it, long range HE spammer with questionable armour.  The only ship that looks interesting is the upcoming Petropavlovsk because maybe it might not just run away spamming HE for the whole match. 

And don't forget the DD's, obviously there's Shimakaze's everywhere (there always is) but the addition of the underwater missile armed Swedish DD's doesn't exactly make pushing any easier when a good player can basically perma flood you, whilst things like the Haragumo and Daring can just smoke up and spam HE to their hearts content with their cruiser levels of DPM. 

The combination of bad maps, with little cover, cruisers who's only interest is spamming HE along with BB's who don't want to eat said HE makes for one hell of a frustrating experience where close range, fun, skill expressive engagements are few and far between. I've been slowly playing less solo T10 and I'm continuing to drift away from it, which is a shame because T10 has some of the most interesting ships in the game and it is, ultimately, the end goal of playing WoWS. 

Anyways this was a bit of a rant as I just needed to get this off my chest and of course this goes without saying, the presence of T10 CV's makes the whole experience 100 times worse as they ruin everyone's game being the incurable malignant tumour they are. 

• Cool 9
  • Funny 3

Players
415 posts
6,036 battles
Vor 18 Minuten, Sweedish_Gunner sagte:

The bigger problem though, is the new T10 ships. Nearly every single new battleship and cruiser in the last year or more has been designed to run away, avoid direct gunfights and not push in aggressively, the only exception to this being the Kremlin which wasn't exactly balanced on release.

Not really. On longrange we have Venezia and Newski, on medium and shortrange we have Kremlin, Goliath, Petropavlowsk. the Italian bb concept (Impero) looks pretty agressive as well.

[SHAFT]
Players
11,743 posts
9,747 battles

I think its more about the playerbase being incapable to play properly. A TX game today, and the enemy BBs were super aggressive - but they pushed 1by1, and the Cruisers camped in the back. At some point, all BBs were dead and only Cruisers were alive now running away from our BBs.

If the Cruisers would have helped their BBs in the push, they might have won the game. Pushing is just harder to coordinate and usually needs more than just 1 guy going in to get slaughtered. And there is the problem: The playerbase doesnt understand that.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 1

[-LA-]
Players
695 posts
5,288 battles

i found myself playing tx surface ships for the first time in a while in PVP both games in a row all of the BB's on my side turned around and sailed striaght to the back wall , both teams then just sat there lobbing long range shots at targets of opportunity untill one side either gets bored and carelss and accideentally attacks or attrition happens to stack up to a massive advantage one way then the massacre is on as everyone rushes to mop up the easy kills remaining.

way i see it is by WG design, offence is vastly more affective than defence , and the rewards / punishment system mean dieing is the worst thing that can happen , your team are your competition and the enemy are the resource.

[FIFO]
Players
17 posts
9,300 battles

My friend linked this game to me and I felt compelled to comment. I uninstalled WoT and WoWp some time ago. WG has failed to put money and time into one and broken the other with greedy power creep premiums and failed to act upon players feedback regarding gold ammo and artillery.

I've played this game for roughly over a year and noticed a refreshing change in atmosphere and less toxicity. As I have worked my way up the tiers I first was introduced to CV play. The artillery of WoWs. Since then it has been changed into something arguably worse. Higher up I met radar that goes through islands and even more powerful CVs such as the Enterprise. There is also smoke HE spamming ships. In the last year or so Russia has come with a vengeance and there has been a plethora of premiums each better than the last. Reminiscent of WG record in Tanks.

The higher you go in tiers the more unbalanced the game becomes and less friendly. Of late I have stuck to scenarios and co-op to eat through the endless grinds thrown before us. Grinds can disrupt gameplay as people pursue goals rather than team play wins.

I whole heartedly endorse the OPs post and would like to add that it is even less fun to play DD in higher MM. CV the main culprit and 12km radar the next. Subs are on their way. WG likes to cook it's own goose going for the short term money rather than thinking the long game. I personally have resigned myself to this game dwindling on the record the software house running the show. White knight moderators who ignore difficult questions, developer who ignores player feedback etc.

The game is very good but could be so much better.

• Cool 4

[CATS]
Players
28,903 posts
15,122 battles
1 hour ago, Sweedish_Gunner said:

The combination of bad maps, with little cover, cruisers who's only interest is spamming HE along with BB's who don't want to eat said HE makes for one hell of a frustrating experience where close range, fun, skill expressive engagements are few and far between.

That is the case for over 5 years.

I would prefer maps with more cover, but you can get used to. Gameplay is more stressful as you have to be extremly careful and cannot resort to the more relaxed gameplay of the mid or even low Tiers.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Beta Tester
1,838 posts
18,487 battles
Vor 4 Stunden, Sweedish_Gunner sagte:

...because T10 ... is, ultimately, the end goal of playing WoWS. 

What a sad conclusion to draw. I know it is not your fault, WG really tries to get this message across since a few years now. But it ultimately leads to this poor gameplay on tier 10 because Nobby Newbie needs to play tier 10 no matter how little he understands the game. 

• Cool 6

[JRM]
Players
7,210 posts

The issue is not only on T10...

I ll just leave this here

shot-20.06.30_18.59.34-0896.jpg

• Funny 2

[MORIA]
Players
7,796 posts
39,329 battles
20 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

The issue is not only on T10...

I ll just leave this here

shot-20.06.30_18.59.34-0896.jpg

"You dirty sealclubber" :cap_haloween:

low tier madness xD

• Funny 1

[SERBS]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,564 posts
9,398 battles

I wish it is only tier X. The whole game has gone to madness. 

• Cool 3

[BOBS3]
Players
1,016 posts
20,026 battles
7 hours ago, Europizza said:

image.thumb.png.55c70446d052ee5f733cc2a701fe7e95.png

:Smile_sceptic:

At least this wasn't seal clubbing.

I would say that the most unbalanced ships in the game right now are the T4 carriers and the Hosho in particular. 

I say this as someone who supported the CV rework. T3 ships in twin T4 CV matches are nothing but food. A number of them do not have a single AA gun. Not even an Officer shooting a pistol.

(No I wasn't seal clubbing, I was regrinding lines for the Research Bureau, (another horrible idea,) and grinding the Soviet BB line for the first time. I was not Seal Clubbing.):cat_paw:

• Cool 3

[RODS]
Players
1,598 posts
7,706 battles
48 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

the Hosho in particular. 

Yeah..

Great way to "welcome" new players into the game

(Why dont WG do something about it ?)

• Cool 2

[PISH]
Players
371 posts
3,398 battles

You could browse the forums and these kinds of threads pop up since the game was released. Basicly, yes there are bad teams but they are not the norm. You merely don't focus on the good games you had. Also could someone define what you mean lack of bralwing? Enough of it is going on but attempting to do it too early gets you killed. Same with HE spam. Yeah sitting there bow tanking while 3+ enemies farm you will kill you as it should. 

Also the Conqueror is not played properly if you use it as a long range HE spammer. Its a waste of potential.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[GG-EZ]
Players
2,635 posts
13,576 battles
3 hours ago, Ronchabale said:

Yeah..

Great way to "welcome" new players into the game

(Why dont WG do something about it ?)

Because they listened to our complaints about players reaching high tiers too fast! They have the best community interaction ever! So what they implemented is a project called "Skypox", and it prevents players reaching high tiers too fast (or altogether) by making them ragequit and uninstall when playing tier 3-4-5.

Isn't weegee the bestest ever? With the bestest words too, if you have read their "analysis" of last CB season. (tldr: "SAD! :Smile_sad: ")

• Funny 2

Players
4,084 posts
5,469 battles
21 hours ago, Sweedish_Gunner said:

Anyways this was a bit of a rant as I just needed to get this off my chest and of course this goes without saying, the presence of T10 CV's makes the whole experience 100 times worse as they ruin everyone's game being the incurable malignant tumour they are. 

Red Alert 2 FTW.

Other than that, you are right with your long post.