Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Lord0

Marceau oui ou non?

33 comments in this topic

[ANV]
Players
555 posts
4,796 battles

Got the coal, should I get the ship? I've read and watched mixed reviews... 

[SM0KE]
Players
6,411 posts
14,935 battles

I've just picked it up (yesterday, I think), mainly because it's the only interesting coal ship that I don't have yet.

Initial impressions:

• Very unforgiving, especially if you're not already a French DD meister - high skill floor.
  • Splendidly fast, and plenty of dakka (a bit short ranged though, and fairly rainbow arcs); torps take an age to reload.
  • Supposed to have good (for a DD) AA, but no CVs have been daft enough to attack me yet.
  • I'm really not good enough to do well with her yet...
  • At the very least, it's a giggle in Coop.
  • A bit of a shock if you've been almost entirely sneakiness- focused with your DDs.
  • Cool 1

[STARS]
[STARS]
Beta Tester
159 posts
17,223 battles

This. 

(and a lot in a division with another Marceau) 

• Cool 1

[ANV]
Players
555 posts
4,796 battles
36 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I've just picked it up (yesterday, I think), mainly because it's the only interesting coal ship that I don't have yet.

Initial impressions:

• Very unforgiving, especially if you're not already a French DD meister - high skill floor.
  • Splendidly fast, and plenty of dakka (a bit short ranged though, and fairly rainbow arcs); torps take an age to reload.
  • Supposed to have good (for a DD) AA, but no CVs have been daft enough to attack me yet.
  • I'm really not good enough to do well with her yet...
  • At the very least, it's a giggle in Coop.
  • A bit of a shock if you've been almost entirely sneakiness- focused with your DDs.

Been playing a lot of EU DDs recently so I'm at least used to the no smoke, low gun range style. Admittedly I don't find them the easiest to play as compared to other DDs (and they have "reasonable" concealment compared to French) 

[SM0KE]
Players
6,411 posts
14,935 battles
4 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

Been playing a lot of EU DDs recently so I'm at least used to the no smoke, low gun range style. Admittedly I don't find them the easiest to play as compared to other DDs (and they have "reasonable" concealment compared to French) 

Likewise; with the French ones, I do miss the healing potion, and the whole 'visible from the moon' thing takes a bit of getting used to.

BTW I was finally able to try out the AA in my last battle with her - the T10 US CV came to visit; daft bugger flew right through my AA bubble - 7 plane kills (with DefAA on, but no BFT), I think. Not sure yet how it holds up when the CV is actually trying to sink you.

• Cool 1

[ANV]
Players
555 posts
4,796 battles
9 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Likewise; with the French ones, I do miss the healing potion, and the whole 'visible from the moon' thing takes a bit of getting used to.

BTW I was finally able to try out the AA in my last battle with her - the T10 US CV came to visit; daft bugger flew right through my AA bubble - 7 plane kills (with DefAA on, but no BFT), I think. Not sure yet how it holds up when the CV is actually trying to sink you.

Do you play it with 13km range? (can it get up to 16?)

Players
1,981 posts
8,441 battles

Picked it up a few days ago. Lots of fun every match, but I don't have the Kleber, so I cannot compare. I was paired up with a super unicum supertester playing cat and mouse with the Roosvelt, it was fun to outrun the torpedoos. The AA needs some tricks, like turning it on the instant when you get spotted. Also, turn on deff AA first, then activate the sector to maximize the instantaneous damage. And mount the coal speed duration module in slot2.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
6,411 posts
14,935 battles
10 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

Not yet - at the moment, I don't have an AFT captain available, and I'm trying the 'dakka' upgrade in the last slot (wondering about changing to range, although I do struggle to hit stuff at that distance with floaty shells)...

Players
1,981 posts
8,441 battles
1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

Not yet - at the moment, I don't have an AFT captain available, and I'm trying the 'dakka' upgrade in the last slot (wondering about changing to range, although I do struggle to hit stuff at that distance with floaty shells)...

Same for me. The short range has the advantage of going dark much faster when you disengage, and your speed allows for a rapid disengagement.

• Cool 4

[SM0KE]
Players
6,411 posts
14,935 battles
1 minute ago, Ocsimano18 said:

The short range has the advantage of going dark much faster when you disengage

That's a good point that I'd momentarily forgotten about (although I knew there was a reason why I tend not to go for range with DDs)...

• Cool 1

[ANV]
Players
555 posts
4,796 battles
13 minutes ago, Ocsimano18 said:

Picked it up a few days ago. Lots of fun every match, but I don't have the Kleber, so I cannot compare. I was paired up with a super unicum supertester playing cat and mouse with the Roosvelt, it was fun to outrun the torpedoos. The AA needs some tricks, like turning it on the instant when you get spotted. Also, turn on deff AA first, then activate the sector to maximize the instantaneous damage. And mount the coal speed duration module in slot2.

That's a great idea for DDs with def AA! 

[SV]
Players
1,221 posts
14,937 battles
43 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

ehm no need to take it since the ark is huge you will not be able to hitt anything on 16 km unless stationary. 

• Cool 1

Players
3,146 posts
17,781 battles

Kleber is fairly fun if there are no CVs around, but mostly for the ambush potential. 

I dont have marceau, but it looks like an improved Khabarovsk with DFAA in trade for worse guns.

Since long range dakka is boring (and we have a meta of long range railgun cruisers) I'm going to pass and get Georgia next.

• Cool 1

[ANV]
Players
555 posts
4,796 battles
1 minute ago, GulvkluderGuld said:

Kleber is fairly fun if there are no CVs around, but mostly for the ambush potential. 

I dont have marceau, but it looks like an improved Khabarovsk with DFAA in trade for worse guns.

Since long range dakka is boring (and we have a meta of long range railgun cruisers) I'm going to pass and get Georgia next.

Georgia was my other option but I'm not really a BB man. I prefer dakka and speed

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,411 posts
14,935 battles
6 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

Georgia was my other option but I'm not really a BB man. I prefer dakka and speed

GA is rather useful to have for doing secondary missions in Coop (if you don't already have something like MA); she gets a speed boost and everything...?

[ANV]
Players
555 posts
4,796 battles
Just now, Verblonde said:

GA is rather useful to have for doing secondary missions in Coop (if you don't already have something like MA); she gets a speed boost and everything...?

I usually use Biz for the secondary missions but I have to admit the speed boost did intrigue me. What speed does it get up to? 

[SM0KE]
Players
6,411 posts
14,935 battles
11 minutes ago, Lord0 said:

What speed does it get up to?

It's a +15% one, that runs for 270 secs with a coal mod.

Normal speed shows as 33 kts, so the boost should take you to just shy of 38 kts (37.95).

(Had to work it out, because I don't usually pay enough attention to know off the top of my head)

Edit: a bit more with signal, but I don't usually mount that on things that aren't DDs...

• Cool 1

[ANV]
Players
555 posts
4,796 battles
7 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

It's a +15% one, that runs for 270 secs with a coal mod.

Normal speed shows as 33 kts, so the boost should take you to just shy of 38 kts (37.95).

(Had to work it out, because I don't usually pay enough attention to know off the top of my head)

With a speed flag that's faster than a lot of DD

• Cool 1

[ANV]
Players
555 posts
4,796 battles
1 minute ago, gopher31 said:

So hard to justify it over the Kleber.

I passed and let my coupon expire.

Yeah that's why I hesitate. 

[SM0KE]
Players
6,411 posts
14,935 battles

Anyone want to take a guess when I started to try to learn to Marceau:

image.png.78017c2476e09900cda20e17219ea0fe.png

:Smile_facepalm:

• Funny 2

[ANV]
Players
555 posts
4,796 battles
9 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Anyone want to take a guess when I started to try to learn to Marceau:

image.png.78017c2476e09900cda20e17219ea0fe.png

:Smile_facepalm:

I'm guessing it wasn't the halfway point in that graph... 

• Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,411 posts
14,935 battles

So far, I'm thinking that "fun, but difficult" might not be a bad summary...

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this