Sign in to follow this  
Antek

Feedback on Aircraft Carrier Commander tier 3 skill

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2 posts
522 battles

Today I had to pick my 3rd carrier commander skill. By looking at the tree, I had the feeling that the third level had no real useful skills for carrier. Real skills start at tier 4. But to get a tier 4 skill you need to pick a tier 3 first. 

What I have noticed carriers are extremely fragile, slow and when under attack as good as dead. I noticed most people tend to sail with the main group or hide behind rocks when things get bad. Aircraft carriers mostly rely on their AA abilities to defend against enemy airplanes and prey they don't get hit when facing enemy ships. The only good thing they are at is bombing enemy ships without getting in close combat.  Knowing this I was stuck on picking my 3rd skill. There are 4 skills you can chose from:

1. Defensive Fire
  2. Repair work
  3. Smoke screen
  4. Situational Awareness

​Smoke screen can be ruled out, no smokes on carrier. As well as Repair work, when you get hit, you are dead.

In my opinion I would never pick Situational Awareness, as I stated before when detected by enemy ships, you can't run away from them because you are too slow. The only point of having the skill is to know you are going to die, just before you die.

The most useful skill I found was Defensive Fire. This will boost your AA capabilities for a short period of time. Because your carrier has a proper AA its not bad having this skill. The only issue is that the skill is a cruiser only skill as stated by the description. So no point of having this. This left me to the conclusion there is no real good alternative for a Tier 3 commander skill for aircraft carriers.

I would suggest at least one skill that has a meaning to equip. If so, let it be reduced service time bonus to Bombers or let defensive fire also work for aircraft carriers. I would pick any of those skills above the ones mentioned now.

What do you all think of the current tier 3 carriers skills? Which one would you equip and why?

Edited by Antek

Beta Tester
1,520 posts
1,475 battles

Sit Awareness is fine for the IJN CV, since you will be at the front all the time anyway, and want to know when you have to back a little bit off.

Weekend Tester
612 posts

6th sense on all carriers. Tells you when a stealthy DD has spoted you. Saved my Lexi a lot of times

• Cool 2

[-PVE-]
Beta Tester
40 posts
6,732 battles

Agree 6th sense is an greay skill on carrier it also work for the planes so you can plan sneak attacks with bombers/torps 

But i agree they should move 1 of the tier 4 skills to tier 3 skills

Beta Tester
147 posts
3,469 battles

You can only buy Situational Awareness.

All other skills wont work.

Defensive Fire is only fro cruisers with the special AA batteries (starting from Tier 6 up)

Repair work only works on Battleships it increases the times you can use the selfhealing

Smoke screen obviously only works on Destroyers gives you 2 additional uses of the smoke screen.

Has bothered my as well, that there is no real exclusive Carrier skill at tier 3,

Beta Tester
101 posts
2,001 battles

Today I had to pick my 3rd carrier commander skill. By looking at the tree, I had the feeling that the third level had no real useful skills for carrier. Real skills start at tier 4. But to get a tier 4 skill you need to pick a tier 3 first. 

What I have noticed carriers are extremely fragile, slow and when under attack as good as dead. I noticed most people tend to sail with the main group or hide behind rocks when things get bad. Aircraft carriers mostly rely on their AA abilities to defend against enemy airplanes and prey they don't get hit when facing enemy ships. The only good thing they are at is bombing enemy ships without getting in close combat.  Knowing this I was stuck on picking my 3rd skill. There are 4 skills you can chose from:

1. Defensive Fire
  2. Repair work
  3. Smoke screen
  4. Situational Awareness

​Smoke screen can be ruled out, no smokes on carrier. As well as Repair work, when you get hit, you are dead.

In my opinion I would never pick Situational Awareness, as I stated before when detected by enemy ships, you can't run away from them because you are too slow. The only point of having the skill is to know you are going to die, just before you die.

The most useful skill I found was Defensive Fire. This will boost your AA capabilities for a short period of time. Because your carrier has a proper AA its not bad having this skill. The only issue is that the skill is a cruiser only skill as stated by the description. So no point of having this. This left me to the conclusion there is no real good alternative for a Tier 3 commander skill for aircraft carriers.

I would suggest at least one skill that has a meaning to equip. If so, let it be reduced service time bonus to Bombers or let defensive fire also work for aircraft carriers. I would pick any of those skills above the ones mentioned now.

What do you all think of the current tier 3 carriers skills? Which one would you equip and why?

Enough CVs are faster than 30 knots which allows to run away perfectly.

Beta Tester
1,746 posts
1,390 battles

Situational awareness is a good choice. Allows you to know when it's time to get your aircraft in for defensive purposes, if you should relocate to a saver spot (other island or just back up a bit).

Definitely not something to dismiss casually.

Beta Tester
2 posts
522 battles

Ok Sit awarness is useful for tier 6+ Carriers i must admit 30+ knots isn't that bad. ;)

Beta Tester
24 posts
575 battles

I underestimated Sit. Awareness (6th sense) in WOT for a long time - wont happen again....

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,556 posts
1,899 battles

Ony thing you can do, is if you Have a premium ship, you can pick the tier 3 skill to fit the Premium ship class, and then switch the captain between the carrier and premium ship when you want to train the captains skill faster like in WoT. Here you can make use of the tier 3 skill for that ship if you don't think situational awareness is worth it. 

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,045 posts
7,552 battles

Situational Awareness is good, even at lower tiers. To know when the enemy has spotted you is crucial. It tells you that something is too close for comfort. Be they planes angling in for an attack, or a sly DD sneaking up, or a CA rushing through a gap (you might know he is there, but at times you find yourself skirting the detection range anyway). It is like a super early torp detector, it pretty much tells you to change directions.

However it certainly isn't a great skill compared to what the other classes get.

Sign in to follow this