Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NettiWelho

Divebombers are useless they said

16 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
137 posts
2,896 battles

They do no damage they said.

PzyU03m.jpg

A single bomber wing did that.

Edited by NettiWelho

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,340 posts
2,928 battles

a dive bomber squadron did 6k damage to my destroyer how abotu that?

[BUSHI]
Beta Tester
30 posts
5,003 battles

I lost 13.000 hp as well to one bomb on my New Orleans. No module damage though... It was weird.

Alpha Tester
560 posts
999 battles

Well, i also hear a lot "torpedoes are useless in higher Tier Gameplay" and could answer with that

At around minute 15 it happens, what tells us that? Exactly, nothing, 1 lucky hit out of what? 1000s beeing fired in game.

DBs, as of now, are usefull for exactly one thing: trolling enemeys with them, sending one squad after another and hope to get the ships burning, simple as that :teethhappy:

Edited by Smi2k

Beta Tester
4,049 posts
8,385 battles

Such hits can happen. Too bad I have yet to see it.

The best I have done with DBs alone was to sink a Farragut I believe, but he was down to around 4k HP and I had two DB squadrons coming for him. Still it was pretty much luck that I got him.

DBs does best if they hit 'soft' tagets, but that is a pretty big if. So as the saying goes, it is better to have one bird in the hand than two in the bush. Thus battleships and carriers tend to get the most attention from DBs.

Edited by Unintentional_submarine

Beta Tester
27 posts
125 battles

Have they been buffed after the 3.1 patch? I've noticed they can do a lot more damage now, especially after the patch.

[SH33P]
Beta Tester
93 posts
3,905 battles

Not sure if it's true but DB's, if they could, tried to drop bombs down the funnels of ships.

Edited by Pegasus2022

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,340 posts
2,928 battles

Well, i also hear a lot "torpedoes are useless in higher Tier Gameplay" and could answer with that

At around minute 15 it happens, what tells us that? Exactly, nothing, 1 lucky hit out of what? 1000s beeing fired in game.

DBs, as of now, are usefull for exactly one thing: trolling enemeys with them, sending one squad after another and hope to get the ships burning, simple as that :teethhappy:

This gameplay is from 3.0 so yeah bugged armour? still torpedoes can do magazines to and it is more logical for a 800kg bomb to magazine a ship rather than a 150 kg shell

it doesnt happen much though magazining with torps

Have they been buffed after the 3.1 patch? I've noticed they can do a lot more damage now, especially after the patch.

buffed HE ammo means buffed DBs

Beta Tester
295 posts
65 battles

Yep DB with manual aim from bow or stern are great, definitely 3 to 6k damage, if your lucky 10+..oh and fire nearly every time.

Edited by _SeamanStaines_

[1-DFL]
Beta Tester
133 posts
1,473 battles

As a CV captain, I can tell you that since 3.1, I do more damage with my DBs than my TBs ...

Fire is a killer, but of course, you have to use manual drop ;-)

[ZERG]
Alpha Tester
967 posts
2,797 battles

One point of data is not enough to draw a wider conclusion. 

In the wider context of the game, dive bombers are pretty crap. Useful only for setting fires after you've seen the target use their repair, or to force them to use repair prematurely for maximum flooding damage in a follow up torp bomb. You can do significant damage to DD's, but you're not likely to hit them and comon, they're DD's. Everything does significant damage to them. 

They'll likely be good when the AP Bombs are implemented, though. 

Alpha Tester
560 posts
999 battles

This gameplay is from 3.0 so yeah bugged armour? still torpedoes can do magazines to and it is more logical for a 800kg bomb to magazine a ship rather than a 150 kg shell

it doesnt happen much though magazining with torps

buffed HE ammo means buffed DBs

Yes, the gameplay is pre 3.1, still, crap happens, but going from 1 lucky hit to conclusions means nothing, thats the point i want to maka

[BTKRO]
Beta Tester
4 posts
1,290 battles

Only really got into carrier play over the last week or so, much more since the patch. DBs seem fine to me - maybe in need of a small buff or some AP bombs but nothing major. My US DBs do respectable if not outstanding damage - mostly through setting fires, an they seem to get more sorties in than TBs (airspeed ? Turn round time ?). My preferred targets are BBs already engaged with my team mates, they have often used repairs and so the inevitable fires from my HE bombs will hurt and they are nice big fat targets my DBs find hard to miss if I attack bow to stern. Often I see the bombs hit and am disappointed with the initial damage but get credit for the kill a minute or two later. Got this twice yesterday on my Ranger. Whilst I do not consider myself a carrier expert I can almost always but in a useful contribution with a 2 fighter 2 DB loadout - 6/10 bomb hits and 15/20 kills puts me in a respectable place in the team list.

True TBs are more dangerous but DBs are far from useless, especially when I need to sink that DD who is trying to kill me and against whom TBs would be marginally effective. For a Japanese player, with an offensive mindset TBs are the main weapon with DB as a backup. For a US player in air superiority mode DBs give a useful but not overwhelming anti ship capability.

[VV]
Beta Tester
348 posts
23,800 battles

I think they sorted DBs really nicely. The fire effect is great and they do some decent damage. They are also avoidable ( don't let them approach from bow or stern).

Good work there WG

Sign in to follow this