You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
TitanD79

British Submarines?

31 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
285 battles

Just wondering if British subs will be coming soon considering they reportedly had the same sub fleet size as the Germans at the outbreak of WW2

And yes I'm aware it's still in beta, just a novel fact I didn't know so thought I'd bring it up

Players
237 posts
2,755 battles

Be careful what you wish for, we made the mistakes of hoping for British battleships and heavy cruisers and all we got there were two miserable lines of disappointment.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 6
  • Boring 1

Players
2 posts
285 battles
1 minute ago, The_White_Whale said:

Be careful what you wish for, we made the mistakes of hoping for British battleships and heavy cruisers and all we got there were two miserable lines of disappointment.

Sounds like you speak from personal experience here :fish_book:

[-TPF-]
Players
4,355 posts
18,216 battles
8 minutes ago, TitanD79 said:

Just wondering if British subs will be coming soon considering they reportedly had the same sub fleet size as the Germans at the outbreak of WW2

Definitely, I would have thought, there's a full line and then some.

[LADA]
Players
619 posts
9,059 battles

Leaving aside the wisdom of subs in Wows full stop... 

You are indeed correct that the RN had a sub arm bigger than that of Germany in 1939. They were reasonably modern(ish) and quite effective in certain theatres (the Med is one example). People often forget that the Allies used subs every bit as much as the Germans - however it wasn't their main punching power and thus not so well known. For the KM the U boats were pretty much the biggest and most potent element they had - hence the emphasis on them.I

In Wows....

However enter stage right - the Russian Soviet Navy of Glorious Design. It doesn't matter if they find a half rubbed out wobbly streak of wax crayon on the underside of a bar table somewhere in St Petersberg - if it looks something vaguely submarine shaped you can bet it will squeezed into the game as Project (insert made up number here). Probably the best submarines in the world if they were launched, if they were real. Probably. Maybe. Expect much balans. 

We're dealing with WG here - the Russian subs will come long before the navies that actually fielded them effectively. This likely means we will not see RN subs before being treated to the very best examples of Soviet fantasy. Only this time unlike half the surface fleet circa 1900-present, they are actually designed to sink. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

Players
1,064 posts
15,102 battles

And Lesta will think it wonderful to include all the wackiest designs for the tech tree for interesting gameplay, because reasons.

Amputate any emotional attachment you might have to history and service: arcade gameplay and Mother Russia are number one.

• Cool 4

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,354 posts
5,766 battles
54 minutes ago, Gvozdika said:

You are indeed correct that the RN had a sub arm bigger than that of Germany in 1939. They were reasonably modern(ish) and quite effective in certain theatres (the Med is one example). People often forget that the Allies used subs every bit as much as the Germans - however it wasn't their main punching power and thus not so well known. For the KM the U boats were pretty much the biggest and most potent element they had - hence the emphasis on them.I

In Wows....

However enter stage right - the Russian Soviet Navy of Glorious Design. It doesn't matter if they find a half rubbed out wobbly streak of wax crayon on the underside of a bar table somewhere in St Petersberg - if it looks something vaguely submarine shaped you can bet it will squeezed into the game as Project (insert made up number here). Probably the best submarines in the world if they were launched, if they were real. Probably. Maybe. Expect much balans. 

We're dealing with WG here - the Russian subs will come long before the navies that actually fielded them effectively. This likely means we will not see RN subs before being treated to the very best examples of Soviet fantasy. Only this time unlike half the surface fleet circa 1900-present, they are actually designed to sink. 

Not as large as the Soviets did however, or the IJN. Or the Americans.

Laugh all you want at the VMF, this was the one area they were strong in, it's not really their fault that circumstances made them largely unable to use said submarine fleet as it was intended to be used.

• Cool 1

Players
1,997 posts
19,759 battles

The Royal Navy did have some very good subs in the forms of the T and U classes, although some very bad ones too the K class were a interesting idea but also a death trap. As well as the weird and wonderful in HMS M1 and her sisters. 

Not that it matters if the subs test is anything to go by then it won't be even remotely akin to submarine warfare so other than the look they won't reflect anything from the period.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,354 posts
5,766 battles
10 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

The Royal Navy did have some very good subs in the forms of the T and U classes, although some very bad ones too the K class were a interesting idea but also a death trap. As well as the weird and wonderful in HMS M1 and her sisters. 

Not that it matters if the subs test is anything to go by then it won't be even remotely akin to submarine warfare so other than the look they won't reflect anything from the period.

Fun fact: The RN intially thought the U's would only be usefull for training. Turned out they were quite effective in the Med, as the RM can rightly attest to..

• Cool 1

Quality Poster
2,376 posts
17,720 battles

Can we not? Subs may not be as bad as CVs, but they're still pretty bad. We as a community need to show a unified front against submarines.

Or maybe Weegee wants to use subs as the new DDs. They can just dive to ignore CVs after all.

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,512 posts
8,989 battles
1 hour ago, Gvozdika said:

if it looks something vaguely submarine shaped you can bet it will squeezed into the game as Project

:cap_cool:

Spoiler

drst6305fvm41.jpg

• Funny 1

Players
605 posts
27,039 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Chaos_Umbra sagte:

HMS M1 cause we all want a Submarine with a 12" gun

This beats the French submarine surcouf with 2x203mm.

[THESO]
[THESO]
Players
2,826 posts
25,528 battles

once and for all:

german-army

so, u might have em if we get our seaground-pwnies with 90°+ arc... "lemme treat ur belly" :Smile_great::Smile_trollface:

Beta Tester
1,027 posts
16,517 battles
12 hours ago, TitanD79 said:

Just wondering if British subs will be coming soon

The gimmick will be torps that set fire instead of flooding..

• Funny 1

[CAIN]
Players
4,825 posts
20,091 battles
14 hours ago, Gvozdika said:

In Wows....

This is insulting and I demand an apology! 

You are ignoring the fact that it was russian subs who bravely fought and sank unarmed fish trawlers, risking their lives in the process! 

It was russian subs who risked their lives sinking successfully unarmed refugee ships! 

It is no exaggeration to say that it was the russian uboats, who singlehandedy fought and won the war against other nations fish trawlers, which btw had the numerical strength, and thus winning the Naval war not only in the Baltic, Atlantic, pacific, Aegean Sea and the oceans of Naboo and Mon Calamar but also the porcelain throne sea! 

Without the their valiant effort, WWII would have gone differently! 

Shame on you for denying them the honor for being introduced first  into WoWS, as they won WWII! 

• Funny 5

[STEEL]
Players
660 posts
15 hours ago, Gvozdika said:

We're dealing with WG here - the Russian subs will come long before the navies that actually fielded them effectively. 

To be fair, the RU/SOV navy has extensive experience with their ships diving into the depths of the ocean. It was the resurfacing part that usually failed, even if they were intended to be submarines in the first place.

• Cool 1

[TACHA]
Players
1,510 posts
16,937 battles

I have no problem with Russian subs as the Russian sub force was the largest in the world at the outbreak of WW2. Not the best dubs but plenty of them. Bravely manned though little opportunity to shine. From another site:

The success of Soviet submarines was mediocre - USSR used 277 submarines during WWII [165 submarines were in 1939 - the largest world's submarine fleet]. They sank [by torpedos, artillery fire, mines] 191 ships during Winter war, wars with Germany and Japan in all seas - 4 submarines, 3 small destroyers, 11 patrol ships, 9 patrol boats, 2 mine-layers, 6 mine-sweepers, 9 landing barges, 6 military tankers, 6 military transports, 3 depot ships, 2 hospital ship, 1 training ship, 1 cable vessel, 6 tugs, 6 barges, 9 trawler ships, 1 small fishing ship, 86 transports, 2 tankers, 18 motor-sailing ships [172.785 brt total]. This data includes 5 ships were sank during Winter War [2 German, 1 Finnish, 1 Swedish, 1 Estonian].

Soviets achieved rate 1.89 [191 sank ships per 101 lost submarines]. British submarines achieved the ratio 9.29 [632 sank ships per 68 lost submarines], USN submarines achieved fantastic ratio 24.15 as they performed in much more favourable conditions in comparison with other navies [1280 sank ships per 53 lost submarines].
Axis forces - Italian submarines had the ratio 1.1; Germans had the ratio 2.69 [2973 sank ships(!) per 1060 lost submarines including sank under capitulation]; Japanese - 1.73.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,842 posts
18,502 battles
Vor 18 Stunden, TitanD79 sagte:

And yes I'm aware it's still in beta, just a novel fact I didn't know so thought I'd bring it up

Since anything but the looks and length of the subs in the game is just made up and bears no historical resemblance they could even put Captain Nemos Nautilus in the game.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,354 posts
5,766 battles
4 minutes ago, Johnny_Moneto said:

Since anything but the looks and length of the subs in the game is just made up and bears no historical resemblance they could even put Captain Nemos Nautilus in the game.

Or the I-3000 from Konpeki no Kantai (no please don't, she'd be OP as *EDITED*)

Beta Tester
1,842 posts
18,502 battles
Vor 6 Minuten, Johnny_Moneto sagte:

Thinking about my own stupid remark... this could be a new scenario: Find Nemo.

[CAIN]
Players
4,825 posts
20,091 battles
1 hour ago, Johnny_Moneto said:

But only the "real" one, from the 1950's Disney movie. 

51mj07BcEoL._AC_SX425_.jpg.9fb84a445296ad39b3b2d59900ac2902.jpg

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,842 posts
18,502 battles
Vor 8 Minuten, Jethro_Grey sagte:

But only the "real" one, from the 1950's Disney movie. 

51mj07BcEoL._AC_SX425_.jpg.9fb84a445296ad39b3b2d59900ac2902.jpg

As Disney is known to be a corporation interested in welfare of people rather than earning money I am sure they will grant WG a license to use this model in the game free of charge.

Ring ring... "Hello?" .... "Yes, I said free of charge, Mr Disney. It is this concept where you give something without getting anything in return." ... "No, it is a concept from the real world. Several people apply this concept every day." ... "I shall do what with myself? Now look here, there is no reason to insult..." ... "No, please don't order Pluto to bite me. Help!"

• Funny 2

Players
453 posts
2,428 battles
35 minutes ago, Johnny_Moneto said:

As Disney is known to be a corporation interested in welfare of people rather than earning money I am sure they will grant WG a license to use this model in the game free of charge.

Ring ring... "Hello?" .... "Yes, I said free of charge, Mr Disney. It is this concept where you give something without getting anything in return." ... "No, it is a concept from the real world. Several people apply this concept every day." ... "I shall do what with myself? Now look here, there is no reason to insult..." ... "No, please don't order Pluto to bite me. Help!"

Pluto? You forget... Disney has a new enforcer now...

The Dark Side of Disney being a corporation. : memes

[INSERT HEAVY BREATHING]

"I hope your idea of 'free of charge' was a joke forum poster, for your sake. The mouse is not as forgiving as I am"

• Funny 1